Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old December 10th, 2006, 09:30 PM

jodokast is surprisingly tart
Quote:
teekay wrote:
My maps are scaled an 1/8" too big.
12 plastic hexes measure 21". 12 of my printed hexes measure 21-1/8".
21.125" to 21" = 99.4%

If anyone is good at math, please verfiy my answer and that will be the exact size I need to scale my maps and repost all of them!

teekay
Well... I get 0.99408284
but 99.4% is probably fine
I got 0.9940828402
but that is rediculously too accurate. 99.4% is good, though you could do 99.41% if you are real picky.
Old December 10th, 2006, 10:24 PM

bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodokast
Quote:
teekay wrote:
My maps are scaled an 1/8" too big.
12 plastic hexes measure 21". 12 of my printed hexes measure 21-1/8".
21.125" to 21" = 99.4%

If anyone is good at math, please verfiy my answer and that will be the exact size I need to scale my maps and repost all of them!

teekay
Well... I get 0.99408284
but 99.4% is probably fine
I got 0.9940828402
but that is rediculously too accurate. 99.4% is good, though you could do 99.41% if you are real picky.
See, that's what I get for using a pocket calculator, inaccurate calculations!
Old December 10th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Harbinger of Aquilla

teekay has disabled reputation
That's okay. You've confirmed my calculation which is what I needed. (The first time I made these maps, I never actually mesaured them against actual pieces with a ruler--I just laid water tiles on top of it. That's a mistake I won't make again.) Thanks for double-checking, bunjee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeletor
I have a friend who works in repo graphics who is willign to print me out a sheet

I d/l the water map should I just tell him to print the file it as is??
Now if we can just get Skeletor's friend to print the map at 99.4% and verify the scaling on a physical sheet, I'll be a happy camper!
Old December 10th, 2006, 11:05 PM

bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by teekay
That's okay. You've confirmed my calculation which is what I needed. (The first time I made these maps, I never actually mesaured them against actual pieces with a ruler--I just laid water tiles on top of it. That's a mistake I won't make again.) Thanks for double-checking, bunjee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeletor
I have a friend who works in repo graphics who is willign to print me out a sheet

I d/l the water map should I just tell him to print the file it as is??
Now if we can just get Skeletor's friend to print the map at 99.4% and verify the scaling on a physical sheet, I'll be a happy camper!
Actually, I'm curious about what point to point you were measuring, I'm fussing with the file, trying to make the tiles in to a pattern and one thing I've noticed (don't take this as criticism, this file is amazing) is that the tiles have some inconsistency in spacing somewhere. In trying to figure/fix that, I've realized I don't know where you are measuring 21 inches from/to. So I'll probably wander into the other room and get some water tiles to fuss with
Old December 10th, 2006, 11:14 PM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!
Like I think I said, or meant to... you also have tomake sure its not the printer, some printers do not print things to scale propperly, and in the case of some cad programs you have to calibrate it... I remember my autocad printing X axis correctly but Y axis 50mm came out as 54mm, I had to let autocad edit the print to print propperly before it was sent to printer... so check it in both axis...
Old December 10th, 2006, 11:48 PM

Ok, I had a suspicion, and I just confirmed it. Your water tile pattern is perfect.
For water tiles.

The problem is that water, lava, and ice tiles are ever so slightly larger than the other terrain tiles. I just plopped 12 water tiles on top of two 24-hex plates joined so I had a 12 hex long section. The 12 water tiles overhang the terrain by, roughly, just under 1/8 of an inch.

So, your work was perfect, but the use specifications were flawed You want to have a nice mat that can act as many water tiles, but that matches up with regular terrain. In real life, if you make a massive field of real water tiles and bound it with terrain, the water buckles. I like to call that "realistic surf"

Are you positive about this 1/8 shave? It seems like maybe 3/32nds might be closer. I'll tweak the file I have a copy of, and make slightly different 9 hex prints to try it on (I can only print up to 17" at work). Thank you for doing the really hard work of drawing those little buggers!
Old December 11th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Harbinger of Aquilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjee
Actually, I'm curious about what point to point you were measuring, I'm fussing with the file, trying to make the tiles in to a pattern and one thing I've noticed (don't take this as criticism, this file is amazing) is that the tiles have some inconsistency in spacing somewhere. In trying to figure/fix that, I've realized I don't know where you are measuring 21 inches from/to. So I'll probably wander into the other room and get some water tiles to fuss with
I measured from the next flat space in from the farthest outside tab to the opposite side 12 hexes down using 2 of the large hex pieces from the game with a 7-hex piece in the gap for stability. Does that make sense? 6 hexes = 10.5", 12 hexes = 21" on actual plastic land pieces.

The program I created of my map in is Adobe Illustator. A vector art program that creates a kind of computer connect-the-dots of a hex piece. That computer drawn hex has a centerpoint which allows me to measure from centerpoint-to-centerpoint. After scaling my old map down to 99.408% (thank you to everyone who helped) I can now create a 21" box and drop a corner of that box onto any centerpoint hex and, 12 hexes away, the other edge of the 21" box lands directly on another centerpoint! I can do this at any point on my map and it lines up!

As for the inconsistancy with the hex spacing, there should not be any since the hexes were dulplicated by the program. In fact, I can select the whole map, copy it, and rotate it 60° and have all the tiles fall directly on top of each other. If the hexes line up in a row, they measure 21" for 12 hexes, but you're right, I see what you mean about trying to create a repeating pattern. It can't be done. This one I can't explain.

As for my large-format printer taking liberties with the scaling. That didn't happen. The EPS file was run through RAMpage and output to a EPSON Stylus Pro 10600. I measured the printed piece to my digital file and had discovered that my initial EPS file was since scaled wrong. (I'm still embarrassed about that.)
Old December 11th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Harbinger of Aquilla

bunjee, I can't thank you enough for your help on this. Especially confirming that my biggest mistake was using water tiles to create my water tile map! Ironic.

What program are you using to print the map? I'd like to send you my revised file to try out.

teekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjee
Ok, I had a suspicion, and I just confirmed it. Your water tile pattern is perfect.
For water tiles.

The problem is that water, lava, and ice tiles are ever so slightly larger than the other terrain tiles. I just plopped 12 water tiles on top of two 24-hex plates joined so I had a 12 hex long section. The 12 water tiles overhang the terrain by, roughly, just under 1/8 of an inch.

So, your work was perfect, but the use specifications were flawed You want to have a nice mat that can act as many water tiles, but that matches up with regular terrain. In real life, if you make a massive field of real water tiles and bound it with terrain, the water buckles. I like to call that "realistic surf"

Are you positive about this 1/8 shave? It seems like maybe 3/32nds might be closer. I'll tweak the file I have a copy of, and make slightly different 9 hex prints to try it on (I can only print up to 17" at work). Thank you for doing the really hard work of drawing those little buggers!
Old December 11th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Harbinger of Aquilla

I have uploaded the new, scaled maps to my web site.

http://homepage.mac.com/vigprints/FileSharing6.html

The revised water map and a generic blank map which will be easier on a person's printer.

If these new maps turn out to be correct, I'll fix the snow, sand, lava, and road maps that I have.
Old December 11th, 2006, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekay
bunjee, I can't thank you enough for your help on this. Especially confirming that my biggest mistake was using water tiles to create my water tile map! Ironic.

What program are you using to print the map? I'd like to send you my revised file to try out.

teekay
I'm using Adobe Illustrator CS, and i have to say that your explanation of the program was excellent. And at least that definition of it hasn't changed since I did support and training back in the days of versions 6-7

I dug around a bit more and figured out that I had screwed up when making my pattern. I've fixed it. I'd love to have your new file! I'll pm you my email address, or just let me know when you have it on your .mac site and I'll grab it from there.

*ahem* Please excuse the following for blatant fangirlism *ahem*
MACS RULE!
Old December 11th, 2006, 12:38 AM

django is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
have you printed these at kinkos or anywhere and these are about poster size?? id like to laminate them after there printed.

Ądn sʇɐɥʍ
Old December 11th, 2006, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by django
have you printed these at kinkos or anywhere and these are about poster size?? id like to laminate them after there printed.
The print size is 36" x 60" but wait until he has fixed it or it won't line up right. Kinko's would be able to print it, as I recall most have a large format printer that could handle it.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles