Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old September 22nd, 2020, 05:03 PM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Vydar's Custom Units Thread: UPDATE 11/25/21

Hi everybody! I've been inspired to make some of my own custom units after seeing the amazing work that the VC community has put together over the past 10 years. I'm not sure how serious I plan to get with these, so as of now, they're just for fun. Please enjoy, and feel free to leave comments, suggestions, and constructive criticism.

OHS Figures

CURRENT PROJECTS

CONCEPTS/IDEAS

BITTER SEA COLONY: A 4-figure squad of giant crabs.
Spoiler Alert!

WISTARI: Wood giant archer.
Spoiler Alert!

DESIGNED CARDS

DISCIPLES OF THE HIDDEN FLAME: 4-figure squad of Elf Druids.
Spoiler Alert!

ANIMATED ARMOR: Wizards and Mages control these suits of armor.
Spoiler Alert!

ZANKOR THE BOUND: Valkrill Dragon held prisoner by the Cult of Nhah Scirh.
Spoiler Alert!

NEFTA THE KYRIE WARRIOR: Glyph of Sturla adapted to a Kyrie's Aura power.
Spoiler Alert!

PLAYTESTING

BEASTMASTER RANGER FACTION: A mix-and-match bonding pair of Rangers and Companions.
Spoiler Alert!

COMPLETE
Spoiler Alert!

REJECT PILE
Spoiler Alert!

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

High Quality Map Rendering
Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
VC Units Base Size Spreadsheet

Last edited by Vydar_XLIII; October 24th, 2022 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Added link to OHS figures
Old September 29th, 2020, 02:43 PM

Iron Clubber is surprisingly tart
Re: Vydar's Custom Units Thread

Nice work. Sanya is particularly interesting. It is tough to price the power to materialize water on the map, and the design is extremely flexible. I would be tempted to test her in a few different builds perhaps together with Marro or Microp just to see how ground breaking she can be. I would suggest also adding “unoccupied” when talking about moving an already placed water title, otherwise you can slip the water from underneath a figure (perhaps this is what you want?). Personally, I would prefer if you can no longer move titles once placed, that way you don’t need to “remember” which ones were hers.

Voldig creates an interesting wrinkle in that he can create a height advantage for an elemental and then move in onto the height for a boosted attack. That’s definitely cool. That said, for 100 Points, you can create height, and then move and attack with 3 Earth Elementals. Seems a bit powerful to me at a glance.

Minor note, Voldigs special is listed as Water, I assume you mean Earth.

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading through them. Did you have any minis in mind for these?
Old October 9th, 2020, 12:33 PM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Thanks for the insight. I agree that they are powerful, my goal with these elementalists is to bring Downpour, Earthquake, Blizzard, and Hurricane up to the level of Firestorm (but I only think Sana and Voldig are successful). I think I also agree that they are under priced, specifically for their utility with other units such as Microcorp Agents, Marro Warriors, and Axegrinders.

The reason I made Sana's water tiles movable was because initially I had her able to make 5 tiles and not able to move them, but I found her using the water as a melee screen and wanted to lessen that aspect. Perhaps, 3 without the ability to move them is enough to facilitate Water Elemental's speed. I don't, at all, think that having to "remember" which water tiles are hers is an issue. Most, if not all, maps I've seen don't have same-level-water that would be confusing. But you aren't the first person to raise this issue with me, so I may reconsider.

Like I said, Voldig is likely underpriced for what he does. He was designed to easily give the Granite Guardians height advantage and pseudo-bonding. There might be a way to do this without adding permanent height to the board. Something like this.

Quote:
RAISE EARTH (replacing GEOMANCY)

After moving and instead of attacking with Voldig the Elementalist, choose one non-liquid terrain tile. Figures occupying only that tile are considered to have height advantage until the start of your next turn.
This makes the terrain effect impermanent, and less exploitable. (Maybe Sana's Hydromancy could use a re-work like this too?) And yes, that is a typo in Voldig's card.

I don't have any minis in mind at the moment, I guess I should do that.

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps

Last edited by Vydar_XLIII; November 13th, 2020 at 02:48 PM.
Old October 11th, 2020, 03:53 PM

I went through and added minis to each card. In the process of finding appropriate minis, many of the races and some of the personalities have changed. I've gotten feedback on the unbalanced nature of a lot of the -mancy powers and so many of them have been updated to something less exploitable. All of them except Sana's power no longer place terrain tiles but retain the intended effects of adding terrain tiles.

Voldig's Geomancy has been replaced by Raise Earth.
Quote:
Raise Earth
After moving and instead of attacking with Voldig the Elementalist, you may choose one land space. Figures occupying that space are considered to have height advantage until the start of your next turn.
Sana's Hydromancy has been slightly edited and is now Create Water. She is now a Dragonborn instead of a Half-Elf.
Quote:
Create Water
Sana the Elementalist starts each game with 3 water tiles on her Army Card. Instead of attacking with Sana the Elementalist, you may place a water tile from her Army Card onto an empty space within 3 clear sight spaces of Sana the Elementalist. Figures you control with the Water Tunnel ability may ignore the same level requirement when moving to a water tile placed by Create Water.
Zasuur's Pyromancy has been replaced by Molten Aura. He is now a Satyr instead of a Human.
Quote:
Molten Aura
All land spaces within 3 spaces of Zasuur the Elementalist are considered to be lava field spaces. All Moltarn figures you control within 3 clear sight spaces of Zasuur the Elementalist are considered to be on molten lava spaces. Zasuur the Elementalist does not take Lava Field damage.
Daoros's Aeromancy, has been slightly edited and is now called Cyclone Flight. He is now a Pensive Human instead of a Tricky Elf.
Quote:
Cyclone Flight
Daoros the Elementalist starts each game with a Flight marker on his Army Card. Before or after moving with Daoros the Elementalist, you may choose a Unique or Uncommon hero that you control within 3 clear sight spaces of Daoros the Elementalist, including himself. And move the Flight marker to that figure’s army card. While a figure with a flight marker on their Army Card starts their movement within 3 clear sight spaces of Daoros the Elementalist that figure has the Flying ability for the duration of that movement.
Parthale has been renamed to Kalza. Her Kryomancy has been replaced with Frigid Aura. She is now a Reserved Tiefling instead of a Fearless Goliath.
Quote:
Frigid Aura
All snow and ice tiles within 4 clear sight spaces of Kalza the Elementalist become Heavy Snow and Slippery Ice to all opposing figures; this includes water tiles considered ice tiles by the Ice Cold ability. Figures you control that roll the 20-sided die for the Ice Spikes ability within 4 clear sight spaces of Kalza the Elementalist add 2 to their die roll.
Ice Elemental is now called Lesser Ice Elemental. It is now Small 3 instead of Medium 5.

New cards can be found in the first post. Old cards will still be visible to show progress.

Newly designed are the Disciples of the Hidden Flame.

I noticed that Ullar had no 4-man squads. not even in VC. We already have archers in the Aubriens, we already have wizards, we already have the WoA. The glaring hole I can see in the lore are Druids. I looked through the DnD player's handbook, quickly realized that Wild Shape is not possible to do in heroscape. However I think i successfully captured the feel of a low-level druid without it.

Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps

Old October 12th, 2020, 02:24 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Dont have time to really go over the elementalists, but the druid squad is cool. For wording, you could crib the wording from the Minions of Utgar unless you really want Ulginesh to Mind Link off of these guys.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old October 13th, 2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Dont have time to really go over the elementalists, but the druid squad is cool. For wording, you could crib the wording from the Minions of Utgar unless you really want Ulginesh to Mind Link off of these guys.
I didn't think about the interaction with Ulginesh. I don't necessarily have an issue with it, nor do I think the wording of Utgar's Orders would stop Mind Link from activating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minions of Utgar
Utgar's Orders
Instead of taking a turn with the Minions of Utgar, you may take a turn with any Kyrie Warrior you control who follows Utgar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulginesh
Mind Link
Instead of taking a turn with Ulginesh, you may take a turn with up to 2 different Elf Wizards you control. Ulginesh cannot be one of the 2 Elf Wizards. Any Elf Wizard that is taking a turn instead of Ulginesh must be within 6 spaces clear sight spaces of Ulginesh before moving.
If you, for a second, pretend that Ulginesh is a Kyrie Warrior that follows Utgar. You reveal the OM on the MoU. Instead of taking a turn with the MoU, you take a turn with Ulginesh. Instead of taking a turn with Ulginesh you take a turn with 2 other Elf Wizards.

Unless the "Instead of taking a turn with..." clause can only activate once per turn, the above sequence works fine. Or am I mistaken somewhere?

Thanks for the Feedback!

Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps

Old October 13th, 2020, 05:11 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Huh, I thought there was an OM-clause in Mind Link. Either way, nice custom.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old October 13th, 2020, 05:30 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Gotta say, I really like the Disciples of the Hidden Flame (suspiciously close to Servant of the Secret Fire, which I love). Faerie Fire and Animal Messenger are both good D&D tropes that you've converted into useful and thematic 'Scape powers. It's a shame the Druid of Obad-hai and the female warden mini aren't more available (from what I discovered when I went looking for my own customs drafts), but you have to think there will be more green-clad elf spellcasters released sometime, right? All in all, very cool.
Old December 13th, 2020, 05:11 PM

Alright, here's my newest creations.

They are inspired by the beastmaster ranger from D&D 4e. Currently Otar is the only Classic/VC figure that qualifies as a beast companion. Let me know your thoughts!

Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
Old December 13th, 2020, 07:05 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

What would you say is the ideal army size to try the ranger and beast partner combo in?
Old December 13th, 2020, 07:42 PM

So far I've played them in Heroes Only against an Ornak pod at 500 points, and in standard where they lost to Blade gruts at 400 points. I really liked them in Heroes Only. They acted similarly to the Hydra. Once Ghar died, Tazrend's offensive output dropped significantly. But they were really fun to play with.

Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
Old October 29th, 2021, 10:48 AM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I must say, Disciples of the hidden flame stand out to me and your mentioning of Ullar not having a 4 person squad helps give them attention for such purpose.
In question of availability, its unfortunate that the 2 cooler models here are the least available, especially so for Druid of Obad-hai, since his iconic image as a stag druid ties the look together.
On the upside, I'd like to think there are plenty of green clothed elf druid like minis floating around.
A few I just stumbled on which were just released and in high stock I might as well mention are
"W7 Female Human Druid 93054 Icons of the Realms Premium Mini"
"W7 Male Elf Ranger 93061 Icons of the Realms Premium Mini"
These models also support the "Animal Messenger" ability visual!
Another model you've probably seen already but might as well mention here is "Wood Elf Druid #06 Icons of the Realm".
Another "Deathlock Boneyard #22 Icons Warlock Wight".

I'd consider giving these guys a shot in SoV once any rough edges have been smoothened.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards