Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old March 22nd, 2009, 01:28 PM
The Little Warforged That Could

Izner knows what's in an order marker Izner knows what's in an order marker Izner knows what's in an order marker
Izner's Custom Terrain (NEW: CLEAR SWAMP TILES!)

I'm turning this thread into my general terrain thread. I figured a new thread for more tiles would be a little redundant.
Anyways! Scroll down to see my new works.

Without the help of Talyn's thread, Resin Cast Terrain Tiles, and Instructables.com These would have never existed. Thanks, Talyn!

.:Lava Tiles----------------------------------------------------------

Note: The darker red lava tile is an official molten lava tile. (The lava field tiles are official too.)

I was trying to get something slightly transparent, sort of like the 1st edition water tiles. My first attempt came out too clear, my second attempt came out too solid. The margin for error is slim. Regardless, neither one looks really bad. They fit pretty well too.

Making the tiles took a bit of trial and error. The resin I was using was designed to set in 2-4 hours, but for some reason my first batch literally solidified as I was pouring it out of the mixing cup... Hence the radiant brick of plastic above. My later batches worked fine tho. Go fig.

.:Swamp Tiles--------------------------------------------------------

So now that I've got my mold release, and I'm done with school, it's back to work! But I put the lava aside, to try something a little different. Swamp Tiles! The normal swamp tiles just didn't look swampy enough... I wanted to create something transparent, yet somewhat solid at the same time. Something that would convey the 'shallow water' feel that the game rules give it.

These were made much the same way my lava tiles were created, using green and yellow pigments instead of the neon orange. After they were formed, I dabbed the underside with a sponge, using an olive colored paint. It's a little hard to see in the photo, but it resulted in a very nice alge like undercoat. SUGGESTIONS: Don't forget to wash off the mold release, or the paint won't stick. Also, spraying the paint afterwords with some clear coat will help make it last.

With some of the left over resin, I made some counters. Poison maybe?

The little bit I had left in the mixing cup made an odd little puck. Perhaps something will come of it yet.

I'll be getting back to my lava tiles next... and perhaps trying some 2 part molds, if I can ever figure out how to make them...

.:About---------------------------------------------------------------

My tiles were made using Smooth-Cast 327 (Color Match, Slow Setting)
The pigment for the lava tiles is Ignite Fluorescent Orange Pigment
The pigment for my swamp tiles were generic green and yellow pigments.
My mold was made using Smooth-Sil 920 (Silicone Rubber Compound)
All of these can be found at Smooth-On.com

As always, comments and suggestions are appreciated!

Last edited by Izner; June 7th, 2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 01:44 PM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Clear Lava Tiles!

Nothing to see in my post.

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs

Last edited by Fencerjared; March 22nd, 2009 at 11:33 PM. Reason: I was Wrongitty Wrongy Wrong
Old March 22nd, 2009, 02:32 PM

Izner knows what's in an order marker Izner knows what's in an order marker Izner knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencerjared View Post
I only really have one suggestion, which is more a complaint:
This is a joke, right? It's covered in pics. Or are they broken?

Old March 22nd, 2009, 02:34 PM

karl with a k knows what's in an order marker karl with a k knows what's in an order marker

The pictures work, nice tiles!

Old March 22nd, 2009, 02:00 PM
Old and Boring

Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Awesome! I like the more solid looking ones, they really look like they're glowing!
Old March 22nd, 2009, 02:48 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

I can see the pics, nice job. I actually like the more transparent ones, both look great though.

-insert signature here-
Old March 22nd, 2009, 03:02 PM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Must be just me then, because I don't even see "broken picture" placeholder to let me know that something is there.

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs
Old March 22nd, 2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencerjared View Post
Must be just me then, because I don't even see "broken picture" placeholder to let me know that something is there.
Sorry, I'd upload the pics to HeroScapers instead of my DeviantArt Page, but it says I don't have permission. I don't know what else to do.

Old March 22nd, 2009, 03:12 PM

No problem, I figured out what is going on. I went in and cleared out my "show images" option in CP, when I came back to this thread the images showed as links to deviantart. When I tried to go there, my work firewall stopped it. That's why they don't show up when I come into the thread normally, so I'll take a look at them when I get home.

Last edited by Fencerjared; March 22nd, 2009 at 03:12 PM. Reason: grammar
Old March 22nd, 2009, 03:27 PM

Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby!

Those look awesome! I love the darker lava tiles. They give so much more life to the other pieces. Great work!

It's not whether you win or lose. It's having the 4th Massachusetts Line that counts!
I see nothing, I hear nothing, and I know NOTHING!--Sgt. Shultz, Hogan's Heroes
My custom terrain
Old March 22nd, 2009, 05:03 PM

Darkness1717 is surprisingly tart

I dont like the see-through one but the other one's are sweet!!!
Old March 22nd, 2009, 08:12 PM
All growed up

Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Those are HOT!

(sorry, someone had to do it)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles