Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla
Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Discussion and presentation of the maps approved by the ARV.

Notices

View Poll Results: Which is the best map? (Choose 3)
Cavern Crash by Necroblade 15 41.67%
Thaeberian Wellsprings by Nomad 17 47.22%
Marshall Law by Rednax 6 16.67%
Defiled Wellspring by Herofly 8 22.22%
Wasted Swampland by Dr.Goomonkey 5 13.89%
Burning Temple by VVildeyedjoker 3 8.33%
Bountiful Grove by Robber 12 33.33%
Platinum River by All Your Pie 13 36.11%
Everglades and Evergreens by Rednax 1 2.78%
Vergence by Heroscaper2010 10 27.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 3rd, 2017, 01:55 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
WINNER! (Uncharted Wellsprings)

CONGRATULATIONS NOMAD!!!

In the vast wind and snow swept tundra of Thaelenk, a hidden valley lies nestled among glaciers of ice and drifts of powder. In the valley resides a powerful wellspring that has been highly sought by all of the generals of Valhalla. The Thaeberian Wellsprings bring life – causing tree, bush, and grass to grow if roots can absorb the healing waters . . . and renewed life to those adventurers who can quench their thirst with the sweet liquid.
Sets: 1 RotV, 1 TJ, 1 TT
Download

We have a winner!!! Thaeberian Wellsprings by @Nomad has taken the win on this map building contest...but boy was it a close one. I speak for all of us judges when I say we are so excited about the involvement! we had 22 map submission to the contest and 36 voters overall. We love seeing so many new and exciting maps and tomorrow we'll be using these 10 maps in our Idaho/Utah tournament. As promised in between each contest we will be playtesting these maps to determine their balance and competitive worth. Those that we consider worthy of tournament play will be added to our Tournament Map Thread here. We will post our public reviews on your maps. Those that wish to receive assistance and workshop their maps, head on over to our workshop thread here. Thank you again for your participation, we're already excited for the next one

Nomad please PM @Tiranx you're address and we'll get the dice bowl shipped out to you ASAP

Here it is! The Top 10. You've got 1 week to cast your votes for the #1 map. The winning map will win TREX's Handmade dice bowl!

Also, keep in mind ONLY 3 votes. Anyone who votes more than their allotted votes will have their votes null and void.

TOP 10 Images and Downloads
Spoiler Alert!

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22

Last edited by Sir Heroscape; June 10th, 2017 at 04:01 AM.
Old June 3rd, 2017, 01:55 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: Top 10 - VOTE NOW (uncharted wellsprings)

Not sure if you can or not, but not 3 votes on the same one. Thanks for the sweet battlefields guys.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old June 4th, 2017, 12:34 PM

Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness

It's fun to have so many votes. I wasn't really keen on having three votes, but I have changed my mind.

I definitely have a favorite in this contest, but I will keep that to myself for now. Good luck everyone!
Old June 4th, 2017, 01:03 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranx View Post
It's fun to have so many votes. I wasn't really keen on having three votes, but I have changed my mind.

I definitely have a favorite in this contest, but I will keep that to myself for now. Good luck everyone!
I really like the 3 votes system as well. I picked my 3 favs already. Really though everyones a winner here because we get to enjoy all these cool maps.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old June 5th, 2017, 01:34 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Is there a way to play these maps online, other than to take the top-down picture yourself and put numbers on? I think the ARV definitely deserves to get its own folder in the Maps Folder.

Also, is there an easy way to put the numbers on maps or is it a matter of making millions of text boxes?

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old June 5th, 2017, 01:49 PM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Goomonkey View Post
or is it a matter of making millions of text boxes?
Lol, yeah that's how I've always had to do it. A little grueling, but not too bad once you get the hang of it.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old June 5th, 2017, 02:12 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I haven't voted yet. I like the three-vote system. Also, you guys got a bunch of good maps submitted this time. I'm impressed with the whole group. I'll try to come back and pick three (or fewer, if I decide that 1 or 2 are a cut above the rest), but it won't be easy.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old June 5th, 2017, 04:15 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

If you're interested in learning how to make good-looking top down maps, send me a pm and I'll get you hooked up with an easier and better way than just lots of text boxes.
Old June 8th, 2017, 05:50 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I've always found maps infinitely more difficult to theory scape then custom units. Regardless of that here's my brief thoughts on some of the maps. Be warned there's a good amount of negativity. I hope this is constructive and will lead to further discussion.

Wasted Swampland- The middle glyph seems too inaccessible. Melee is going to have a hard time securing the glyph vs range. Because of the open sight lines melee needs all the help it can get.

Platinum River- The road layout reminds me of old school Ch1canO. Probably the best looking map at first glance. Two BftU with RttFT or FotA looks so good aesthetically. Solid use of line of sight blockers, classic design archetype of glyph in the middle and height on the sides, good pathing options, shadow looks relatively well placed. This map has a lot of thing going for it. I would move the one level three shadow that isn't adjacent to any height.

My probably with the map is that the different level four heights are not an equal distances from the staring zone. For example the pink player takes 12 move to reach the heighest level on the bottom part of the map. It only takes 10 move for the pink player to reach the same level on the top of the map. It's the same but mirrored for the other player. The difference between say 9 and 10 move isn't that big of a deal. The difference between 10 and 12 is a huge deal. Five move figures can reach the highest point of the map in two turn for one side, but it takes three turns for the other side. This means that each hill is more accessible to to one of the players.

I would love to see this map reworked to fix this, as I feel it's the only major thing holding it back. This map has a ton of potentially, and I want to see it achieved.

Evergreens and Everglades- Zero votes, really? Maybe I'm missing something but this looks like one of the better maps in the pool. I'm interested in knowing why it's not getting any love. I guess the two level swamps, followed by the three level sand, followed by the four level rock isn't the most interesting height, but that's super nitpicking. The glyph are blocked off from the central height so with strong glyphs all of the map should see action. Looks simple and clean to me.

Marshall Law- looks like a fast and fun little blood bath. This is my second favorite map in the pool, and both of @rednax maps are in my top four. Really great to see someone get back into the cartography game after a seven year hiatus.

Thaeberian Wellsprings-Surprised this is doing so well. Not to say it's undeserving. I can see the designer logic in a lot of the decisions he made. Since this maps kind of out there it's hard for me to theorize if the micro design decision I like translate to a good map. Since it's hard to threaten the other persons snow height it seems like this map would lend itself to slow build up and longer games.

Vergence- Another map that I can't quite put my finger on. I'm a sucker for split staring zones, but I don't understand blocking off one of them with water. I don't get why there's a path to the side glyph's for one player, but the other player has to traverse water. The shadow and jungle seem kind of random to me.

Not to say that any of those are negatives. They could all be brilliant choices for all I know.

Bountiful Grove- This is an example of why contest with nonstringent terrain parameters disproportionately effects certain terrain combinations. Making a elite map using only RotV+TJ is much more difficulty then say RotV+2 RttF, 2 BtfU+expansion, etc. There's a reason Ticalla Sunrise and Sidewinder are one of the few top tier maps with their requirements.

With that being said it looks like Bountiful Grove got just about everything you can out of RotV+TJ. The jungle is placed in ways to cover advancing melee, but doesn't help podding range too much. The middle needs a strong glpyh so using the defense glyph is a good choice. I like the pathing options.

My only concern is the placement of jungle trees with regards to Raelin. The rock hex adjacent to the jungle tree is the the only hex where Raelin can cover the glyph while being on level three and where she is adjacent to a jungle piece. Since there's three level three hexes in front of the space it also seems easily defendable. You can even cover friendly units that will be engaged to all figures on the nearby level four hex. The more I look at it the more it seems like an issue. I'm interested in hearing from @Robber if he thinks my concerns are unfounded or not and if the scenario I described ever came up in testing.

Cavern Crash-Looks like a solid map at first glance, but there seems to be some issues. Like Platinum River there's unequal access to the highest point of the map. For the red player it's 7 spaces to the west side and 11 to the east. This map is in second place, so maybe this isn't an issue for everyone. For me at least I don't see a need for his and her high ground.

The middle glyph configuration looks cool, but it has some problems. If a single space figure is standing on the glyph there's double space denial on the northeast and southeast sides. On the west side there's no such denial. This benefits the red player and punishes the blue player. double space denial incorporated with glyph placement should never be done.

Note to ARV- I'd be nice if a link to the various build instructions was in the op of the voting thread. It was inconvenient trying to hunt down bigger pictures and the build instructions for each map.

Last edited by infectedsloth; June 8th, 2017 at 07:21 AM.
Old June 8th, 2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infectedsloth View Post
Note to ARV- I'd be nice if a link to the various build instructions was in the op of the voting thread. It was inconvenient trying to hunt down bigger pictures and the build instructions for each map.
Thank you for the insights, it's good to hear the opinions from others in the community, and duly noted, I'll get on that promptly.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old June 8th, 2017, 11:40 AM

@infectedsloth updated

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old June 8th, 2017, 05:01 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by infectedsloth View Post
Evergreens and Everglades- Zero votes, really? Maybe I'm missing something but this looks like one of the better maps in the pool. I'm interested in knowing why it's not getting any love. I guess the two level swamps, followed by the three level sand, followed by the four level rock isn't the most interesting height, but that's super nitpicking. The glyph are blocked off from the central height so with strong glyphs all of the map should see action. Looks simple and clean to me.

Marshall Law- looks like a fast and fun little blood bath. This is my second favorite map in the pool, and both of [MENTION=7961]rednax[/MENTION] maps are in my top four. Really great to see someone get back into the cartography game after a seven year hiatus.
Thanks for the kind words [MENTION=26909]infectedsloth[/MENTION]. I'm honored to have two maps in the Top 10, even if one currently has zero votes.

My suspicion for Everglades and Evergreens is the same as yours. I know that some people really dislike the hex shape of my maps because it looks unnatural to them. Perhaps that coupled with the stacked seven-hexers made it too neat to look like a battlefield. Though it might seem a bit boring at first glance, I've found that it actually offers a lot of interesting choices. As expected, many battles focus on the hill to begin with. However, the side road path by the wound glyph is a significantly faster route straight to the other player's start zone. I know that I've been caught off guard a couple times with how fast my opponent was enable to engage me from that side.

All in all, I'm really happy to be back in the mapmaking game. I feel like my cartography skills have improved greatly since 2010, so I feel pretty proud of this most recent batch.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla