Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old November 27th, 2019, 05:21 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: Kickstarter: What game(s) are you currently Kickstarting

Since you ask, you've opened the door for the devil to come in! Here's a post I just sent out to my local pals (its a long one):

Guys,

*Happy Thanksgiving To All!*

During the holidays one tends to muse a bit on the past.

This is the second of three days when I'm actually backing two active Kickstarters at the same time; it may be the first time for me that that's ever happened, since its only my 7th and 8th times. Come to think of it, I'm also waiting on a third that finished a good while ago, but has yet to be delivered.

I've just discovered that I can access my KS History page. Of the two up now, one is just about to end, the other has just begun. One has spawned over a dozen Stretch Goals, the other so far only two. And since I've a pretty well traveled guy, who's been to over 20 other countries and most of this one, I've actually seen the Polish palace of the ruler (Jan Sobieski) who saved Vienna from the Turks, and I've also stood on the Great Wall of China, envisioning standing off the northern barbarian hordes! Along with at least two other Kickstarted games I've purchased after their runs (there may be one or two more I'm forgetting, such as, come to think of it, Empires of the Void--the original version, with its first Print and Play expansion), here they are--just in case you want to arrange to come over and play one of them some time:

The Twelve Or More Kickstarted Games of Charley

1. (Blood Rage) I missed the KS, but a pal assembled almost all of the components over the internet from several countries for me! Actually, I'm still waiting on almost the last ones, which Matt ordered for me on the new BR App package Kickstarter--how about that?

2. Adventures In Hyboria; The Expansion To Age of Conan This is also a dudes on the map area control design; the kind of thing I love. The original core game was not Kickstartered, but reissued along with this by a small publisher including the original designers, who acquired Fantasy Flight's old stock! It had been remaindered, but is actually quite a fun game.

3. Air Marshal: The Expansion To Quartermaster General (the original). This was a small item; the designer actually came here to playtest it with some of us. It was Kicktarted more for publicity than for profit.

4. Mare Nostrum Empires The redo of the old Mare Nostrum. For me the original was The One That Got Away. I played it only once at a convention, and then never ever saw it again. The new version by the original author was quite fun, and I actually had some design input on it while it was being developed; mostly to help with the translation of a few names from French to English. I became the original poster and moderator of the very, very, very long FAQ thread on BGG for it.

5. Rising Sun I missed the KS for Blood Rage, the first in Eric M. Lang's now famous myth trilogy (I do love World Mythology games too), but not this one, which remains my Favorite Game of All Time! Banzai! ("Go For Broke")

6. The French Army Expansion To The Great War I own all ten of the Commands & Colors games by Richard Borg with all of their many, many expansions. This series is another favorite of mine. In this case since WWI is kind of a weird subject, I waited to purchase the core game until I was sure it was worth getting, at retail. I also got the first TGW Expansion, Tank, bundled by a pal in what was probably my first purchase from an online vendor. Then I bailed in later for this. My long introductory BGG thread/blog on the entire C&C game series is here:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread...s-richard-borg

7. Red Alert: Space Fleet Warfare One of the newer C&C designs, I just got the first (8th) small expansion since the Kickstarter ("Quartermaster's") and am still playing through its new scenarios. Two more large expansions are expected, but who knows when?

8. Expansions Definitive Edition: Expansion To Alien Frontiers I came to this old classic late, and so got The Outer Belt expansion from Amazon.com. All of the other small expansions will be here, when the KS is finally delivered; I'm still waiting on it. Interestingly, AF was the first board game ever Kickstarted way back there. How about that?

9. Mezo When Eric M. Lang became the new Head of Design for CMON, he had to skip a year on his myth trilogy. So this being in the same wheel house, I went for it. Delivery is anticipated next month in December!

10. Hellenica: Story of Greece I went all in on this, my most expensive KS ever, and actually Preordered it just as the KS
was about to be delivered, so I got it at the same time without the usual year plus wait. Lucky! So new I've only played it twice, on the same day.

11: Rurik: Dawn of Kiev One of a number of new games now coming out of Eastern Europe, where I had ancestors. Same story as Hellenica; a quick Preorder got me the original Kickstarter package at a discount, which I've only played once so far. My second game on or including the Kievan Rus this year (and the only two I'm aware of), the other being the new Swords and Sails, which I've only played twice so far.

12. Titans Made in Poland, and with only one more day to run on Kickstarter, this is about the 17 Century Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, which most non Poles or non Historians have never even heard of. It is based loosely on With Fire and Sword, the 19th Century Polish National Epic. There is quite a long Wikipedia article on the PLC if you are interested. I've read the book, and have the Polish/Russian produced DVDs. Player nations include the Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth, Czardom of Russia, Turkish Empire, Kingdom of Sweden, and the Holy Roman Empire. There's nothing like getting a new bit of history direct from game designers from the actual nation involved!

Stretch Goals and Add-ons include: Capital minis, solo mode, solo campaign mode with multiple historical scenarios, fifth player, Cossack mercenaries, the Undead, advanced play mode, many 'extra' components, and yesterday the historical nine barreled volley cannon "Rain of Fire Expansion!" Excellent. Due next year.

13. The Great Wall I just backed this brand new one yesterday and got the Day One Bonus! This is yet another game made in Eastern Europe (Poland again). Since it just started, the first two stretch goals include Coop Mode and Genghis Khan (!), but since Awaken Realms is now the new CMON of successful Kickstaters, I look forward to many, many more during the next 20 days. And I'm hardly alone in this, as needing only 50k, it was funded in five minutes, and on its first day made over a million dollars. Pow!

Other Kickstarters Coming In 2020

Ankh: Gods of Egypt The much anticipated third game of Eric M. Lang's myth trilogy. For the first time he's revealed in a prepublication video from the last Essen show some of the play mechanisms of a game based on his favorite childhood myths.

World of Mythology: King of the Hill Don't you love game subtitles? This is to be published in Ukraine, and who doesn't want to support that Eastern European nation which is still in the news today, for good or ill? I backed the original offering, and the redo is now on a draft KS page you can view and comment on. They've made a number of improvements recently enumerated on the game's BGG page. This fascinating design has gods from practically every pantheon from ancient world cultures: Greek, Norse, Egyptian, Hindu, and--about for the first time--Slavic. There is also a god from many others in a Misc. Faction including Mayan, African, Japanese, Chinese, and even Eskimo! Chthulhu is there too!!! Yikes!

Thanks to Neighbor Matt for keeping me up on new Kickstarters he knows I'll like, as usual. And if you see one, feel free to let me know too. There's just too much coming out today, on Kickstarter and off, for any one person to buy, or even to know about...

Have a great holiday season, and drop on by to play something here if you get the chance.

Charley

(Edit) I forgot Swords and Sails, which I also Preordered recently, just when its KS was about to be delivered, instead of waiting for a year. All three of the games that this happened to for me, I found out about by watching many Con videos after GenCon and Essen!

Last edited by chas; November 27th, 2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old November 27th, 2019, 10:37 AM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

That's really fast, TW! I don't remember games going that fast when I played back in the early 90s.

Chas, you sure are excited about Kickstarters! What makes them more exciting than other games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old November 27th, 2019, 11:21 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

I've had 7-8 Kickstarters and I've only pledged games where I've been happy with the pre stretch goal game, so the unlocks have been exciting (looking at you fireball and street fighter).

I also really like supporting small companies and getting a game you can't find anywhere else. Also there is something about missing out, I missed GKR heavy hitters and had to track down the exclusives later.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old November 27th, 2019, 02:32 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Well, its not that I like Kickstarters better than other games, just that KS is a way for more designers to put their games before us. Also it is fun to be part of a campaign, and have direct input to the designers on the Comments page--although I more often write on BGG, so I can be part of the discussion there, which continues after the KS ends. And I'm always happy when one of my suggestions actually affects how a game develops, even in small ways.

I think I back fewer Kickstarters than most, but I've really loved all the ones I've received through KS funding so far! But then, I always do lots of research before I back--its good to be retired!
Old November 27th, 2019, 09:38 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I've backed two Kickstarters and done one preorder through one.

I backed Gloomhaven and Batman: Gotham City Chronicles. I preordered Sentinels of the Multiverse: Oblivaeon through their Kickstarter. Not sure how much "most" people back.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old November 28th, 2019, 07:22 AM

I'm going by my own local gaming buddies, some of whom are real Kickstarter addicts, as well as comments on KS pages by others who are as well. Which means I get to play stuff I don't have to buy, and their wives yell at them about the size of the boxes they have to manage to store on the shelves somehow.

I'm not married, and my whole place is devoted to my mancave hobbies and interests. So now I also collect giant storage tubs! But my KS games are only medium sized compared to some I've seen, which are insanely large. For example, a pal just got one in two boxes which, standing end on end on top of each other, are five feet high (War Room)!
Old November 28th, 2019, 08:23 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Heh, I have a devoted office for it. But things are getting tight. I have to be judicious.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old December 3rd, 2019, 11:03 AM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Kickstarter is fun, mainly. Very exciting. It helps smaller companies raise capital to make games that wouldn't be made otherwise, in some cases too, which is cool. Case in point is 7th Continent. No publisher wanted to deal with a game like that, but Kickstarter let it happen. And now the have a retail version coming out since it was so successful!

Daily Magic Games (Valeria: Card Kingdoms and Horizons) and Peterson Games (Cthulhu Wars, Hyperspace) probably wouldn't exist without Kickstarter. Daily Magic is a favorite company of ours, and I backed Hyperspace from Peterson since it look absolutely phenomenal.

Some companies (Like CMON) don't need it, but KS to them is an interest free loan essentially. It's a good deal. I backed Death May Die from CMON, since I was excited about the game and they give out lots of KS exclusives, but I normally don't back stuff from bigger companies like that. I'll wait for retail if I really want (And by that time usually change my mind)
Old December 3rd, 2019, 02:07 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I don't know the history or size of CMON (but I have pledged several of their games). For them it's a proof of concept tool that allows them to insure their is enough demand to at least break even on the high cost of developing molds for all those mini's and other expenses related to developing a new game. If it weren't for Kickstarter, some company executive would be making the calls on whether or not to move forward with funding some of the game ideas and expansions without knowing if it would be a success or not. As a result maybe they don't approve something they did make. Launching something on Kickstarter helps reduce risk for a company and gives them the confidence to go all in on some of the expansions right away (ie. stretch goals are unlocked based on total number of pledges).

Wouldn't it have been great if Hasbro had released the Marvel HS game box along with a half-dozen or more boosters/expansions all at once instead of just sending out the Marvel box and then calling it quits on the expansions before they even got released? The Marvel box might have flown off shelves a little faster had you been able to buy some more figures at the same time. Or better yet, if they had a DC box sitting on the shelf right next to the Marvel box so you could get both, double the terrain you had to play with, and pitted Superman vs. Thor right from the get go. The success of HS was the battle for all time concept, but when they expanded into comic's they only gave us the battle of Marvel.

For me personally, I just like Kickstarting a game where I get a really good deal via the stretch goals. Buying the core game, the 5th player expansion, a 'gods' expansion, getting the upgraded higher quality plastic tokens instead of cardboard, etc. all at once for a fraction of the cost is just a big win for me as the consumer. If I had to buy each item individually at the local gaming store, I would be hard pressed to drop all that cash at once. I generally only kickstart games with a high mini component to them though.

Since I like collecting and painting up mini's, even if the game ends up not being all that great, I can justify the purchase if I'm getting enough sweet new minis to paint up or use in other games (like D&D or HS). For example I pledged Run'n Bones and after playing it a few times it has kind of moved to the back of the line as I purchased other new games to play (this is a problem for a lot my games, too many games too little time). For the D&D campaign I'm running right now though, my long term plans as the DM is to at one point send the party out to sea hunting pirates, and I'll be using all those many pirate minis and the ship game boards a ton when that happens. So it ends up still being a win for me as they figures and game boards have a dual use. I'm not as willing to pledge games that I don't see a dual use for, cause then if the game ends up being a dud then it ended up being a bad investment on my part.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 10:03 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
I don't know the history or size of CMON (but I have pledged several of their games). For them it's a proof of concept tool that allows them to insure their is enough demand to at least break even on the high cost of developing molds for all those mini's and other expenses related to developing a new game. If it weren't for Kickstarter, some company executive would be making the calls on whether or not to move forward with funding some of the game ideas and expansions without knowing if it would be a success or not. As a result maybe they don't approve something they did make. Launching something on Kickstarter helps reduce risk for a company and gives them the confidence to go all in on some of the expansions right away (ie. stretch goals are unlocked based on total number of pledges).

Wouldn't it have been great if Hasbro had released the Marvel HS game box along with a half-dozen or more boosters/expansions all at once instead of just sending out the Marvel box and then calling it quits on the expansions before they even got released? The Marvel box might have flown off shelves a little faster had you been able to buy some more figures at the same time. Or better yet, if they had a DC box sitting on the shelf right next to the Marvel box so you could get both, double the terrain you had to play with, and pitted Superman vs. Thor right from the get go. The success of HS was the battle for all time concept, but when they expanded into comic's they only gave us the battle of Marvel.

For me personally, I just like Kickstarting a game where I get a really good deal via the stretch goals. Buying the core game, the 5th player expansion, a 'gods' expansion, getting the upgraded higher quality plastic tokens instead of cardboard, etc. all at once for a fraction of the cost is just a big win for me as the consumer. If I had to buy each item individually at the local gaming store, I would be hard pressed to drop all that cash at once. I generally only kickstart games with a high mini component to them though.

Since I like collecting and painting up mini's, even if the game ends up not being all that great, I can justify the purchase if I'm getting enough sweet new minis to paint up or use in other games (like D&D or HS). For example I pledged Run'n Bones and after playing it a few times it has kind of moved to the back of the line as I purchased other new games to play (this is a problem for a lot my games, too many games too little time). For the D&D campaign I'm running right now though, my long term plans as the DM is to at one point send the party out to sea hunting pirates, and I'll be using all those many pirate minis and the ship game boards a ton when that happens. So it ends up still being a win for me as they figures and game boards have a dual use. I'm not as willing to pledge games that I don't see a dual use for, cause then if the game ends up being a dud then it ended up being a bad investment on my part.
I too have enjoyed the value out of the CMON games. It also helps to know that they are good at what they do so you dont have to wonder if you'll actually get the game. I really liked the 2nd tide version of rum and bones and am yet to get to play all the many characters I have yet. Ive painted hundreds of the minis though and am closing in on a formula to convert their dice stats into heroscape dice stats and also use their original abilities in heroscape. I have mainly done the kickstarters because Im a miniature junkie and that is the only real reason. I dont generally back games that arent packed to the magilla with plastic. After all the ks projects Ive done I dont get terribly excited during the campaign. I just go over it close to the end and see what fun stuff there is.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old December 4th, 2019, 02:47 AM

Controversy now rages on The Great Wall KS page, with the new add-on expansion changing it from a pure Euro Worker Placement game to a Hybrid Wargame/Euro, with both co-op and semi co-op options, plus solo mode. Comments are coming in both pro and con, but the backer money continues to roll in! Its the first Awaken Realms game I've backed. And as their first such design, many people are paying attention to it.

I've played several AR games that a pal owns: Lords of Hellas, Nemesis, and now Tainted Grail. Their next, ISS Vanguard, will be a first SciFi theme. Some people are calling them "the new CMON," with minis just as nice, but more substantial game design, as well as great Kickstarter success.
Old December 4th, 2019, 09:50 AM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

I've seen ads for the Great Wall. Looks like something I'd be interested in, but I've told myself no more mini-heavy games. I have way too much to paint and no time to do so! (Much less play games, hah. Still haven't played Death May Die, but planning to this weekend hopefully!)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games