Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > ScapeCon
ScapeCon Forum for events related to Scapecon

Old April 9th, 2021, 08:56 PM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Announcing ScapeCon: July 29th-August 1st

So we get -- Other Conventions - Why Not ScapeCon, think big expect ScapeCon 2, and figure this is our convention -- OWN IT. Have another section for other tourneys I say if it is needed, but if someone finds there way here, I think the section for just ScapeCon makes it better, from a trying to get more people their point of view.

1000 pt army tourney, for the end of day tourney, so it can go longer and not stop the flow.

Retlaw - I like all your ideas, they all sound fun.

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old April 9th, 2021, 11:08 PM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

To continue from above, any one else here heard of Board Game Geek, you know what the worst part of the best board game info site in the world is???

Their section Conventions - they have a special section for Essen, WBA. But never GenCon ( the largest in the world )- I wrote a post 4 years in a row asking them to have it's own section, no go, they actually deleted my posts? Why? $ plain and simple and I don't know how it works but it sucks. So I just want to ask, is their some behind the scene thing that is $ related that we can not have our own sub-section for
ScapeCon

and not be lumped in " Conventions " - since this is the Heroscape Webpage, this is the place it is most important in the whole world ( or web ).

Talked to Rycean tonight, tying to rally the troops, he may show up if all goes well.

Old April 9th, 2021, 11:42 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

I actually told @Dysole to call it “Other Conventions,” as it didn’t feel right to ask for my own sub forum. However, I see what you’re saying, and if she wants to change it, I would be fine with it.
Old April 10th, 2021, 12:26 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Thoughts

I just figured it would be a catch all beyond more than just this. If this takes off and becomes a regular thing I'll move it to a new subforum then.

~Dysole, explaining her thought process
Old April 10th, 2021, 09:51 AM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Thinking of pricing for it. Should we have a price if you live local and just want to come for the day, and sleep at home ( I know Hahn is local and usually only stays 1 night downtown, and the rest he drives home )? Something like $5 or $10 and you need to buy food if the group is getting food that day? Not sure. But if a local person could come for just a day and play, I think it would be nice to get as many people as possible.

This will also allows people an option to decide later and only come for a day if that is the only option they have. Just a thought ( post this under games, I think it belongs here ).

OK, I am fine with other conventions ( not really ) but your saying it is not a big deal at the only place this should be a big deal, just seems weird to me. Let's be honest in the miniature war game area, HS has always been the red headed stepchild people make fun of, so I see why your self conscious and not willing to believe in yourself ( if this becomes something? The only way it becomes something is if we make it something - I will not comment on this again, but, as a salesman or a marketer, it does not make sense to me ( which could mean I am bit off, which also makes sense to me ).

Old April 10th, 2021, 10:02 AM

Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby!

We are looking at an all inclusive per person package for 4 days -- gaming, food and prizes. Single day doesn't work well because we are trading off the cost of the ballroom rental with minimum food requirements. We're working on a really nice (but reasonably priced) package based upon minimum 40 attendees. We can probably comfortably go to 50 people. Cost starts going up at less than 40.
Hotel room cost would be separate -- we're confirming how many rooms we actually need to commit to.
Hoping to be able to release cost estimates later today.
Old April 10th, 2021, 10:26 AM

Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendal View Post
Thinking of pricing for it. Should we have a price if you live local and just want to come for the day, and sleep at home ( I know Hahn is local and usually only stays 1 night downtown, and the rest he drives home )? Something like $5 or $10 and you need to buy food if the group is getting food that day? Not sure. But if a local person could come for just a day and play, I think it would be nice to get as many people as possible.
Actually, if we can hit 40 people for 4 day badges, we may be able to accommodate single day badges, food inclusive, unless we do reach capacity with 4 day attendees. This is something that we will have to figure out later in the process.
Old April 10th, 2021, 01:47 PM

OEAO and I just recorded a podcast which will be put up shortly which goes into more detail on the pricing, and we are still waiting for other quotes, but here is the maximum pricing based upon what we know right now:

Hotel rooms are $129 (plus tax) a night per room for either 1 king or 2 queen beds. We can get as many rooms as we need for Wed. through Sat. night. Let me know if anyone needs/wants to stay until Mon., I believe you can extend for the same rate. There are no suites at the hotel. It's in the airport area.

There is only the one ballroom at this hotel, which means that we are the event for the weekend, and our needs will be addressed.

The badge price is $290 per person based on 40 attendees, and $385 per person based on 30 attendees. For any number in between, do the math, its proportional.

Your badge includes the following:

1. All meals beginning Thurs. morning with breakfast and ending with Sunday morning breakfast. That's ten meals. Also mid-afternoon snacks.
2. Gaming from Thurs. morning 9am through Sun. afternoon 2pm. Ballroom closes from midnight to 8am.
3. All prizes. Prizes for top 2 in each tournament. Prizes for attending (some of the alt art cards which look fantastic.) Prize wall based on tickets you receive for games played and games won. (Listen to the podcast.)
4. Custom T-Shirt.
5. Free parking, free hotel shuttle from the airport (tip the driver.)
6. Water stations set up inside the ballroom during the entire convention.

Because we have to spend a minimum amount on food, if we have less than 40 people the food/beverages will be more elaborate on a per person basis.

You will not need to leave the hotel (but of course you can) nor open your wallet to buy food or bottled water during the day and evening.

How does this pricing compare to GenCon?

GenCon badges are $130, and tournaments are $8 -$12 so figure $210 for a badge and gaming at GenCon (at a mimimum.) With 40 attendees you are spending $80 more than the cost of admission to GenCon ($290 -$210) for ten meals, three afternoon snacks, unlimited water, a T-Shirt, and more prizes than you would receive at GenCon.

Downtown GenCon hotel block pricing is approximately $265/night, parking at the hotels is approx. $30 -35 a day, and if you drive in to the city and park at Lucas Oil Stadium, it's $20 a day.

Both Mike and I are paying the same amount as everyone else, and we will have the receipts with us at the Con for any attendee who would like to see how this was priced out.

Because we are still waiting on other quotes, we are not releasing the name of the hotel at this time. It's a name that everyone will recognize, and its ratings and reviews are very good. The sales director has been working very hard with me to meet our budget for food.

I will be speaking with the sales director Tuesday afternoon. Let me know if you have any questions for him by Tuesday at noon (eastern time.) In the meantime I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has.
Old April 10th, 2021, 01:56 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Here's the quick 22-min episode detailing the pricing and prizing. It's worth the listen.

https://castersofvalhalla.wixsite.co...ng-and-prizing
Old April 10th, 2021, 03:56 PM
Sleeps with Monkeys

this all sounds great, thanks for you all your hard work guys, with all meals, snacks, and prizes way cheaper then GC.

Game On'

Last edited by Hendal; April 10th, 2021 at 05:01 PM.
Old April 10th, 2021, 04:52 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendal View Post
Nice, for the rooms, what are you/they thinking? 2 People per room? for this price?
Good question. Some of us may be comfortable with 4 per room (i guess if someone is cool with sleeping on the floor with a sleeping bag or something) to help cut room costs...but yeah curious if the hotel will have restrictions around that.

Also, on the vaccine mandate... While good intentioned, that could turn away some people since there isn't even a vaccine mandate really anywhere, nationally or statewide. I think requiring masks is fine (hotel probably requires it right?), but there's really no way to verify someone took their vaccine unless you ask to see their receipt or vaccination card or something, and that's really not appropriate.

Also, good details/logistics...this sounds like an incredible deal this hotel is providing for us...I'm excited! Also, we're currently at about ~25 confirmed with at least 15 or so maybes, what's the "cutoff" date for knowing where we stand on attendance...will it be actual people who show up? or will there be a deadline? Also, what is the pricing structure if we reach, say, 50+ in the event this blows up and we get a ton of people coming out?

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old April 10th, 2021, 05:52 PM

All good questions. Not sure I have good answers.
As for number of people in the room, if we don't have a minimum number of rooms we need (and I'm not sure we do), I'm not sure if there is a restriction (well, there must be, but I don't know what it is.) Because we are paying a per person charge for each meal, the rooms are independent of the food costs.
I'd like to hear from people regarding the vaccine issue. We want to run a safe event. I don't know about masks -- I presume masks are required and will be in four months.
I'm seeing vaccine mandates for colleges now on a daily basis -- many colleges are requiring a vaccine for fall semester and have announced mandates in the past week (Duke just announced today) and I presume that trend will continue. That's just an example. We just want everyone to be safe.
We will probably need first deposit to secure the ballroom in about 2 weeks. I will know more on timing on Tuesday. We're hoping that people who have been thinking about this (it's only been a week) will commit now that we know the pricing.
Our ballroom costs are fixed -- we have to spend $xx on food. If we get more than 40 people, we can maybe drop the food costs a little (but not much) for everyone as the vast majority of the cost is food and not prizes. We've already knocked the food cost down from the initial estimate (25% down) by reducing the menus (removing some items from the buffets, etc.) (We received an initial catering menu, and I was able to work with the sales director and he worked with chef to create options for us.) There isn't much room to go down much farther. I'm not sure what the upper limit on attendees is (that would be a nice problem to have) from a space perspective.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > ScapeCon