Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs
HoME Customs A place for Heroes of Middle Earth Customs

Old April 22nd, 2014, 10:33 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!
Re: HoME General Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvenwizard9 View Post
I'm itching to brainstorm a new unit, but where did everybody go?
Sorry, I think Caps and I scared them all off.

But no worries, I see where Caps is coming from now: He doesn't expect the Fellowship to be competitive. Tiers don't matter--except to make sure a unit is not overpowered. W/L record doesn't matter--except to make sure a unit is not overpowered. Underpowered is OK, as long as the unit is fun to play. (Caps, please correct me if I mis-stated any of the above.)

I'd prefer that Gandalf be competitive, but I'd rather yield and see this project move forward. I had fun playing Gandalf (the original version). I had more fun playing my new version (4 Attack for Blazing Strike, and scatter after Blazing Strike--both seemed to add a lot to Gandalf's gameplay). But I'm willing and ready to vote yes on either the original version at 150-165 points or Caps' reduced-power version at 120-130 (which SoA seems to like). We need to keep this moving.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 10:45 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Patience, padawan. Working in these projects takes a long time and a great deal of patience (both with the passage of time and with the foibles of stubborn people like WK and myself).

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Quote:
Sorry, I think Caps and I scared them all off.

But no worries, I see where Caps is coming from now: He doesn't expect the Fellowship to be competitive. Tiers don't matter--except to make sure a unit is not overpowered. W/L record doesn't matter--except to make sure a unit is not overpowered. Underpowered is OK, as long as the unit is fun to play. (Caps, please correct me if I mis-stated any of the above.)
I might not state it that strongly, but I'd say we're close enough to on the same page now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
I'd prefer that Gandalf be competitive, but I'd rather yield and see this project move forward. I had fun playing Gandalf (the original version). I had more fun playing my new version (4 Attack for Blazing Strike, and scatter after Blazing Strike--both seemed to add a lot to Gandalf's gameplay). But I'm willing and ready to vote yes on either the original version at 150-165 points or Caps' reduced-power version at 120-130 (which SoA seems to like). We need to keep this moving.
I hope there are no hard feelings. Let's hear from IS and SoA one last time before we make any proposals. They may still prefer to shelve Gandalf for the time being.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old April 22nd, 2014, 11:58 PM

elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby!

Shelfing Gandalf has my vote, if they so propose. But on another note - *ahem* "Let's hunt some orc! ... Or some finished LotR customs."

"elvenwizard9." Now that's a username I've not heard in a long time.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 07:23 PM

faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
I had more fun playing my new version (4 Attack for Blazing Strike, and scatter after Blazing Strike--both seemed to add a lot to Gandalf's gameplay).
I did as well.
However, rather than debate higher-or-lower powered Gandalf, I think it would be worthwhile to flesh out the other heroes and then come back to see how Gandalf can best complement them and capture the feel of the grey wizard.
Old April 27th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boromir96 View Post
Hey ll just popping in with a quick suggestion. I have neither the time or energy to participate in this project, but wanted to voice something that I'd been thinking about for a while. When I first started with this project, I just wanted some fun, balanced LotR customs that all fit together, to have fun with. These will likely never be used in an Uber competetive scene, or even very competetively. But what has the project yeilded so far in the large amount of time it's been active? One design that truth be told, is really not very fun. I'm not saying that ust because I think he's underpowered, I enjoy playing many underpowered units, because they're fun (i.e. Deathstalkers, Major X17, Pelloth). Gandalf is not fun.

Now anyways, I would suggest that you stop enforcing VC standards for playtesting, and just get some designs out. Points and maybe even powers can be tweaked later, I don't think anyone would really care. These aren't VC customs, will probably never be received like them, and shouldn't be treated like them. Just give people some fun units to play with, please.

I don't mean to offend anyone, it's just something I've been thinking about for a while.
I'm about between this guy and the rest - I think good balance and a reasonably competitive nature are important, but this level of fiddling is, IMO, ridiculous. How long have you guys been around exactly? I'm pretty sure it's two years, at least. In that time, your process has been so exhaustive that not a single unit's been finalised. How do you expect to have a good, fun range of LotR units at that rate? I think that a more C3G-esque approach would be beneficial here - well structured playtesting with an emphasis on casual rather than competitive play. From what I've seen, only big projects like C3V have the resources to churn out a reasonable number of units balanced to your exacting standards. It's okay to have these standards a lot of the time, but if this project is going to work, then they need to be changed, otherwise nothing's going to happen, as it seems time has shown.
Did anyone see this? No one replied.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old April 27th, 2014, 06:01 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
Sorry about the lack of reply. I didn't have much to say to it.

Whether I agree with it or not is irrelevant. We are a group, and we have to come to agreement as a group on figures we pass. We also have an ERB (Caps, SoA, Xorlof) that is in charge of setting the direction of our group.

Right now, the current direction is to design Aragorn the Ranger. Gandalf is pretty much done with playtesting--all that is needed is a final vote on stats/points. I'm prepared to vote with the majority for Gandalf when we get around to the vote.
Old April 27th, 2014, 06:02 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I saw.
Old April 27th, 2014, 06:23 PM

faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Not the original, but read the repost.

As WhiteKnight noted:
Quote:
We are a group, and we have to come to agreement as a group on figures we pass. We also have an ERB (Caps, SoA, Xorlof) that is in charge of setting the direction of our group.
We can all design and develop LotR figures individually for casual play. I think most of us joined in the group effort for the broader view and ability to create more consistent, competitive units.

As caps noted:
Quote:
Working in these projects takes a long time and a great deal of patience
Old May 26th, 2014, 04:26 PM

elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby!

Sorry for my absence - I've been all over the place lately, between someone *special* moving and travels. I've settled down a bit now. What have I missed?

Old May 26th, 2014, 04:56 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Sorry for my absence - I've been all over the place lately, between someone *special* moving and travels. I've settled down a bit now. What have I missed?
It looks like we've agreed on a version of Gandalf to move forward with. Hop on over to the playtesting thread, grab the design from WK's last post and run some playtests.

--
--
--

--
Old June 22nd, 2014, 05:42 PM

Just a note... I'm doing an all day LOTR marathon at the moment.

Old September 4th, 2014, 12:41 AM

@elvenwizard9 Was it a playtesting marathon?

--
@faure , @elvenwizard9 , @White Knight , @infectedsloth , @Son of Arathorn

Nothing is moving here, guys. Do we want to go back to our previous version of Gandalf and pass him at 155 or something? Is anyone going to step forward and do more playtesting? That is not an accusation: I am aware that I have not done any playtesting in a long time as well.

--
--
--

--

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs