Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old April 22nd, 2015, 02:10 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
...and "Forbidden Dessert" as good introductory Co-Op games...
Is Turkish Delight a forbidden dessert?
Old April 22nd, 2015, 02:35 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Got another play of Dead of Winter in last night. It was a ton of fun! All but one of us won!
Old April 22nd, 2015, 04:21 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Incredibly bright 7.5 year old boy.
@japes - you preciously said, "... a Co-OP game to play with the FAMILY."

I'm assuming that these sessions will include more then just the two of you.

I would definitely give a +10 recommendation to "Flash Point Fire Rescue" as being Family-Friendly, since it's got a real life theme that everyone can relate to, unless they got a phobia from personal experiences. But would ask you to think about what are HIS interests and the interests of the other potential players ( your spouse, significant other, relatives, friends, neighborhood kids, etc. ).

Personally, I love "Shadows Over Camelot" and "Battlestar Galactica" as Co-Ops, because I am familiar with the themes, but think they may be too 'old-fashioned' for a brilliant 7.5 y.o. They are you (the team minus any traitors / cylons) versus the board and random cards.

Star Wars is still quite popular right now and will become even more so when the new trilogy of movies are released by Disney. the fairly new Fantasy Flights' "SW: Imperial Assault" is a good one since it is basically a Dungeon Crawl with the characters from the Sci-Fi movies and novels pasted onto it. It's often been compared to and described as a SW version of "Decent."

I've also heard great things about "Mice and Mystics," from my friends with young children, which I would expect to appeal to that age. Also Tom Vassel has spoken highly of "Forbidden Island" and "Forbidden Dessert" as good introductory Co-Op games, if you wanted to go the less expensive route.
Mainly the two of us with my wife joining in and his other friends during sleep overs and such. We play a lot of Heroscape and I'd like to find a game we can enjoy where we aren't always directly competing. More for the bonding aspect of us together against a common enemy...He would probably love Imperial Assault but that one could get expensive. We sometimes play the original Star Wars Battlefront PS2 game and team up and it's nice not competing against each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
It was a great idea that really brought this concept to the next level and now I just have to convince you of your own brilliance.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 05:26 PM

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

It's that time again, I have $50 in an Amazon gift card (and that's just one gift, I don't know what else I've gotten yet, aside from a written card from a friend, so I might edit in with a new total of money) for my eighteenth birthday today. What Board games should I get? I was looking at Tiny Epic Kingdoms as one choice, maybe some Battleground: Fantasy Warfare decks also, but what tops you guy's lists (aside from Star Realms, Race for the Galaxy, Monsterpocalypse, Heroscape, Pandemic, Magic, or Summoner Wars. I have most of those.) I'm sure I can find a whole crap load of stuff to buy in all Amazon's departments, but I'd like to narrow it down. Thank you guys in advance.

"I am definitely a mad man with a box."

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
Old April 22nd, 2015, 11:12 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Well Happy Birthday @heroscaper _Guy. That's kind of a tough question since we don't know you very well and except for the few that you've mentioned, we have no idea what's already in your collection. My advice is to buy the game(s) that you know your are going to play often with family and friends and not something that is just a fad or an impulsive decision because it looks cool. I probably have over two hundred games collecting dust and only two dozen that are consistently used. Your tastes will change now that you're an adult, so consider the likes and dislikes of those whom you regularly game with. My suggestion would be the Co-Op's that were discussed on the previous page, but that's just me.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old April 22nd, 2015, 11:42 PM

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Well Happy Birthday @heroscaper _Guy. That's kind of a tough question since we don't know you very well and except for the few that you've mentioned, we have no idea what's already in your collection. My advice is to buy the game(s) that you know your are going to play often with family and friends and not something that is just a fad or an impulsive decision because it looks cool. I probably have over two hundred games collecting dust and only two dozen that are consistently used. Your tastes will change now that you're an adult, so consider the likes and dislikes of those whom you regularly game with. My suggestion would be the Co-Op's that were discussed on the previous page, but that's just me.
That pretty much is my collection aside from some RPG books, as my family is not big gamers, thus they do not but them for me really. Not sure I would describe myself as a gamer (Board or Video game) aside from I like to be the one in control of the odds or the game (Benders in Summoner Wars, Blue in Magic). I'm not above sacrificing troops for the goal of hurting others (Zombies, Black in Magic). And I like to strike hard and fast (Zerg in Starcraft, Red in Magic). I do like to combo those in various ways, but I'd say that's pretty much it for my personality.

"I am definitely a mad man with a box."

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
Old April 22nd, 2015, 11:46 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Played a few games of DnD Dice Masters tonight. Won all three. First off played a good deck, second round I played an unblockable stirge deck and third I played a beholder spell deck.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 12:42 AM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm curious about the unblockable Stirge deck, if you happen to recall it?

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old April 23rd, 2015, 01:07 AM

chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun

Games/projects I'm currently preparing:

1. Running a semi role playing 54mm mini Tai Ping Rebellion game in 1860s China Saving Gordon's Honor, for which I'm fielding 12 Evil Heroes from film, books, etc.: Sab Than, Prince of Zodanga (John Carter of Mars), Lin Tang, The Daughter of Fu Manchu (from those Christopher Lee flics), Jack the Ripper (Whitechapel, London), The Operative (Serenity), Tigerman (Buck Rogers TV), Banastre Tarlton (The American Revolution), The Original Bad Bob The Albino (The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean), and The Swill Brothers ("A good argument against inbreeding") from Briscoe County, Jr. TV: Gil, Will, Phil, Bill, and Cousin Ed (and their mobile battle wagon). See The Toy Soldier Company site; Harold's Rangers by Jamie Delson.

2. Commenting on Kolakoski's very first SuperScape "Balance of Power" upcoming scenario, with an all new scoring system (see General Discussion section; the NYC Gang of Four thread).

3. Tweaking my own SuperScape Scenario "The Illinois Smith Memorial Treasure Hunt," featuring a crashed Kree spaceship, lots of C3G Glyphs, myh Character Level System, my New Lava Damage Rules, and my new Tech Squad (see Marvelscape Maps and Scenarios, and my Supers Customs thread).

4. Working with Griznakh on his brand new [I]Big Barda[/I] Supers Custom (see his customs thread).

5. Writing up my battle report for my recent 54mm minis game on the Maori Wars of New Zealand. See little wars@yahoo groups.com.

6. Painting up some new 54mm Chinese WWII figures for my upcoming minis game Shanghai 1937; Villa of the Lucky Plants, as the Japanese assault a country villa held for two weeks by the Nationalists.

7. Reading up on the South American War of the Triple Alliance of the 1860s (Paraguay vs Argentina, Brazil, and Urugway) for another upcoming minis battle in my Obscure Wars series, and deciding which of the units in my collection of over 30,000 54mm figures can be used for it. Visit Brooklyn, NY to see it and give me The Chas Challenge; ask me to produce any old 54mm plastic toy soldier with a base that you ever owned!

8. Still recruiting for that 12 Player giant Memoir 44 D-Day Landings Operation Neptune game here in NYC on June 6, 2015 with 12 Players. PM me if interested.

9. Discussing the two upcoming Firefly the Game small expansion ship packs on bgg and watching for their official release. See www.fireflythegame.com.

10. Starting very soon, studying a new SuperScape release for possible individual inclusion in my Chas Quickscan Master Lists of Superheroes and Supervillains (see Marvelscape; that thread) and my hard copy file Supers card collection. See the Home Page, any minute now...

"For he himself has said it
And its greatly to his credit
That he is a Retired Gamer
He i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-is
a Retired Gamer!"
--HMS Brooklyn, Gilbert and Sullichas

(And a grandson of an Englishman, too!)

Last edited by chas; April 23rd, 2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 10:07 AM
Has Bigger Cockles

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Incredibly bright 7.5 year old boy.
@japes - you preciously said, "... a Co-OP game to play with the FAMILY."

I'm assuming that these sessions will include more then just the two of you.

I would definitely give a +10 recommendation to "Flash Point Fire Rescue" as being Family-Friendly, since it's got a real life theme that everyone can relate to, unless they got a phobia from personal experiences. But would ask you to think about what are HIS interests and the interests of the other potential players ( your spouse, significant other, relatives, friends, neighborhood kids, etc. ).

Personally, I love "Shadows Over Camelot" and "Battlestar Galactica" as Co-Ops, because I am familiar with the themes, but think they may be too 'old-fashioned' for a brilliant 7.5 y.o. They are you (the team minus any traitors / cylons) versus the board and random cards.

Star Wars is still quite popular right now and will become even more so when the new trilogy of movies are released by Disney. the fairly new Fantasy Flights' "SW: Imperial Assault" is a good one since it is basically a Dungeon Crawl with the characters from the Sci-Fi movies and novels pasted onto it. It's often been compared to and described as a SW version of "Decent."

I've also heard great things about "Mice and Mystics," from my friends with young children, which I would expect to appeal to that age. Also Tom Vassel has spoken highly of "Forbidden Island" and "Forbidden Dessert" as good introductory Co-Op games, if you wanted to go the less expensive route.
Mainly the two of us with my wife joining in and his other friends during sleep overs and such. We play a lot of Heroscape and I'd like to find a game we can enjoy where we aren't always directly competing. More for the bonding aspect of us together against a common enemy...He would probably love Imperial Assault but that one could get expensive. We sometimes play the original Star Wars Battlefront PS2 game and team up and it's nice not competing against each other.
If your emphasis is really on a common enemy, Sentinels of the Multiverse and Pathfinder Adventure Card Game (I know it's been discussed already) do seem like two good choices. Those are the best games I know of with an enemy (not a situation like Pandemic, etc.) that runs itself.

Edit: Honorable mention to Marvel Legendary.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old April 23rd, 2015, 10:19 AM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroscaper Guy View Post
Quote:
That pretty much is my collection aside from some RPG books, as my family is not big gamers, thus they do not but them for me really. Not sure I would describe myself as a gamer (Board or Video game) aside from I like to be the one in control of the odds or the game (Benders in Summoner Wars, Blue in Magic). I'm not above sacrificing troops for the goal of hurting others (Zombies, Black in Magic). And I like to strike hard and fast (Zerg in Starcraft, Red in Magic). I do like to combo those in various ways, but I'd say that's pretty much it for my personality.
Have you looked into Smash Up at all? It's a lot of game for minimal investment. Set-up is easy, you just put down some bases and pick two factions and shuffle their decks together. Each combo is going to play and feel different based on their varying abilities and themes.

It's got a very simple rule set with most of the rules and interactions presented on the cards themselves. It has enough complexity for a gamer to appreciate and be challenged but is approachable enough for most non gamers to at least give it a try. You can pick up the base set with 8 factions included for right around $20.

I would recommend just getting the base set first and giving it some plays to see if you like it before adding expansions.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormi_Boced View Post
Played a few games of DnD Dice Masters tonight. Won all three. First off played a good deck, second round I played an unblockable stirge deck and third I played a beholder spell deck.
Unblockable Stirge used the guy that cant be blocked by characters with cost less than 3, so npc hate to keep them from blocking. Buff the stirge.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games