Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old January 12th, 2009, 07:17 PM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: NorCal New Year-New Army Tourney.

I'd like to attend, but I can't see where to sign up. Do I just post here? Do I PM or e-mail someone?

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread
Old January 12th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Advocates Stripping (& Is 47.8% Right)

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgames View Post
I'd like to attend, but I can't see where to sign up. Do I just post here? Do I PM or e-mail someone?
Yeah. I'm running it, so I'll add you to the attending list! Welcome!

Oh my, HEH. I hope you can make it. I was really bummed to think you'd be missing out.

- Heroscape is a standing game. -
Old January 12th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Tournament Director Deluxe

Satyr is surprisingly tart

Just post your desire to attend and the host (RoninValentina) will handle the rest ... at least with running the day and keeping the first post up to date with rules, maps, locations, etc.

Since HS is a BIG game, multiple people usually bring maps.

Cry endgame and let slip the doggin of war.
Old January 12th, 2009, 08:28 PM

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Satyr- Any word from the Highlands?

Old January 13th, 2009, 12:13 AM

I'll raise it to the attention of the group this week ... MacDirk, his brother Angus, and Racer X.

Reapersaurus showed up outta the blue for NHSD. I'll PM him through BGG to see if this is on his radar. I'll also follow up S1R's notice to the regular cast of characters.

I'm planning on staying for the entire event this time so let me know if you'd like any assistance. Happy to help however I can.

Old January 13th, 2009, 12:21 AM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyr View Post
[...]Since HS is a BIG game, multiple people usually bring maps.
By "maps" do you mean designs for layouts, or do you mean terrain pieces to build pre-selected layouts with?

Also, it looks like my next door neighbors (father & son) might be coming too - I haven't got a firm commitment, but I've heard a lot of interest.

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgames View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyr View Post
[...]Since HS is a BIG game, multiple people usually bring maps.
By "maps" do you mean designs for layouts, or do you mean terrain pieces to build pre-selected layouts with?

Also, it looks like my next door neighbors (father & son) might be coming too - I haven't got a firm commitment, but I've heard a lot of interest.

Terrain pieces to build preselected layouts. I usually prebuild mine though.
Old January 13th, 2009, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1R_ART0R1US View Post
I usually prebuild mine though.
Yep, its the only way to take 'em for a test drive and get maximum game time the day of the event ...

I got a couple of sheets of plywood cut down for the sole purpose of transporting battlefields.

Old January 15th, 2009, 03:11 PM

I've been thinking about the army switching thang and I'm not convinced the incentive is worth it. I assume most people will play a couple games with their army before the event, so they'll know how it works and be comfortable with it.

I just won. YAY! I move ahead in the standings. YAY! Now I'm going to get rid of the army that moved me ahead and use an army that just lost? I don't think I would insert chaos for a potential gain of one extra tourney point. Consistency and comfort have a very strong appeal. Maybe if the army I just beat is very similar to mine I would switch, but then what's the point?

A couple of options:
1) The switch is mandatory. Everyone gets a new army every round. It forces everyone onto the same playing field and keeps it very interesting.
2) Widen the spread of tourney points. For Example:
+3 points for winning with an army you did not use in the previous match.
+1 point for winning with an army you did use in the previous match.
+0 points for losing with an army you did not use in the previous match.
-2 point for losing with an army you did use in the previous match.
Not sure you would want to implement both ... ?

Then comes the question ... how is the first match scored? I'm inclined to say "you did use it in the previous match." (especially with a wider point spread).

Old January 15th, 2009, 03:51 PM

I don't want to make it mandatory- though I thought about it, I decided that if someone wants to come play just their one army, then they can do that. But your observation about the point incentive is well taken, and I accept the revised scoring rubric into the tourney rules. As for counting the first match as previously played? On the fence. I can see that going either way.

Old January 15th, 2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninValentina View Post
I don't want to make it mandatory- though I thought about it, I decided that if someone wants to come play just their one army, then they can do that.
That logic breaks down a bit ... if a person loses they really have no choice in the matter, it is all up to the winner ... but I know where you're coming from. The point spread may be a good compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninValentina View Post
As for counting the first match as previously played? On the fence. I can see that going either way.
First match as NOT Previous Played: puts a greater emphasis on the first game, since it dramatically splits the field.

Last edited by Satyr; January 15th, 2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old January 15th, 2009, 05:46 PM

My consideration was that the first match would be "with a new army" as you said. So we agree. In your previous post though it read as if you were asking the army you bring to the tourney as Previously Played, as if the pre-tourney practice counted. Are we on the same page now?

As for the other- shore. They just have to keep winning.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events