Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Card Games
Card Games Including 'collectable' card games.

Old April 17th, 2017, 08:56 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!
Looking for recommendations for a TCG

I have been considering for some time trying to find a TCG that I could learn and play with my kids, age 7, 14, and 15. Are there any good card games that are fun for both adults and kids? Something with rules that are not too complicated for a child to learn? I know of Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, MTG, etc, but don't really know if they are fun or easy enough for my kids.

It doesn't have to be one of the popular ones like I listed above. I am open to all suggestions.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old April 17th, 2017, 10:58 PM

CJofCourse knows what's in an order marker CJofCourse knows what's in an order marker
Re: Looking for recommendations for a TCG

I hear lot's of good things about the VS system especially if your kids are into superheroes, and Sentinels of the MultiVerse, this one looks pretty good too. I don't know much about any others, and haven't gotten into any because, well, I have this game called HeroScape, it's pretty neat, you should check it out.

-------------------------
Join our HeroScape discord! https://discord.gg/DXRaqvn
Talk about everything heroscape, or just hang out!
Old April 17th, 2017, 11:58 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

I highly recommend Star Wars Destiny. It's a dice and card system, where as you play certain upgrade cards they add dice to your character's dice rolls. Each player takes one action (unless they play something with Ambush) then passes to the opponent. You win by destroying your opponent's figures or removing all cards from their deck and hand.

Good time to get into now, as it's a new game and Set 2 is coming out soon, and starters just got restocked. It's currently hotter than anticipated though, so in some areas product may be difficult to find, but it's worth it.
Old April 18th, 2017, 06:22 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Thank you @MegaSilver and @CJtheMighty !

I have not heard of any of those. I'll look into them all.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old April 18th, 2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post

Good time to get into now, as it's a new game and Set 2 is coming out soon, and starters just got restocked. It's currently hotter than anticipated though, so in some areas product may be difficult to find, but it's worth it.
When Set 2 comes out, will Set one still be available, or do they stop producing them?

Old April 18th, 2017, 10:56 AM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Quote:
I highly recommend Star Wars Destiny. It's a dice and card system, where as you play certain upgrade cards they add dice to your character's dice rolls. Each player takes one action (unless they play something with Ambush) then passes to the opponent. You win by destroying your opponent's figures or removing all cards from their deck and hand.

I'll throw another recommendation here. It's a fantastic game. There are some supply and availability problems right now, but will hopefully be cleared up in the next few months.
Old April 18th, 2017, 11:10 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post
Quote:

When Set 2 comes out, will Set one still be available, or do they stop producing them?

They are reprinting Set 1, and will come out in June/July. Set 2 is coming out in May.
Old April 18th, 2017, 01:18 PM

Star Wars Destiny is sounding pretty good. I have a few questions about it.

1. Are the rules easy enough for young kids?

2. Is set up time very long?

3. Is it sold at any big box stores?

4. Can you play with just two starters?

5. Why are there only two starter sets, yet three factions? How do you play the third faction?

I'll never be playing competitively. Just fun with the family.

Old April 18th, 2017, 01:32 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I would recommend the Sentinels of the Multiverse App, but not the actual game.
It's fun for the first few times playing but seriously goes downhill after because it's basically all the same thing, this character does damage, now this character does damage.
The theme is amazing but the actual Game design feels like a secondhand thought which leads to an overall monotonous experience.

Android Netrunner is a lot of fun especially with the first few expansion. Be warned though the learning curve can be a bit steep mostly due to lingo.

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old April 18th, 2017, 01:47 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

1. Are the rules easy enough for young kids?
I would say yes, if they had played other card games like Pokémon or something, but the 7 yr-old might struggle at first.

2. Is set up time very long?
Setting up to play doesn't, but the time is in the deck building. Deck building is part of the draw for games like this, but if you haven't done it, it will take time to see how cards work together.

3. Is it sold at any big box stores?
Not that I know of, but that could be wrong or change in the future.

4. Can you play with just two starters?
Yes

5. Why are there only two starter sets, yet three factions? How do you play the third faction?
Someone else will need to field this one.
Old April 18th, 2017, 07:27 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Dominion is what I thought of, though it isn't a trading card game, it is a card game. It is probably my second favorite game (the first is Candyland, obviously). The rules are very simple, and in my experience kids love it. Setup is fairly quick, once you know what you're doing getting a game set-up, played, and cleaned-up in about an hour is reasonable. I think it's sold basically anywhere any board/card games are, I know it's sold at Target. Also, you can have a blast with a single base set, be that the actual base set or Intrigue.

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old April 19th, 2017, 08:23 AM

Justin The Critic is surprisingly tart

I picked up a copy of Marvel Legendary a couple of months ago and am loving it. It is a semi cooperative deck builder so again not the traditional TCG. If your kids enjoy The Avengers, Spider-Man and other Marvel Superheroes then that could be one to look into.

The other Cooperative Deck Builder I would recommend is Harry Potter Battle for Hogwarts my non gamer Sister-in-law bought it strictly for the theme and it has become the go to game for holidays. You play as Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Neville, from year 1-7 after you beat a year they add more cards and gameplay mechanics so it's easy to teach.

I don't know if this will help because these are both deck builders and not TCG but I like both better than Dominion because of their themes. If you get a deck builder instead of the traditional TCG you are also not tempted by buying more booster packs and you will also save money.

If you can accept losing, you can't win -
Vince Lombardi

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Card Games