Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games
Contests and Forum Games Create, Participate, or Vote in a contest or Forum game here

Notices

Old August 1st, 2010, 12:10 PM
CoN Recruiting Officer, Top Masq Sleuth, & Teller of Fantastic Tales

scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Online CoN Rules for Non-Members.

[If you're only concern right now is to read the online rules for this game, go ahead and skip this blue italicized portion. If you're wondering why in the hey I have copy and pasted these rules in a different forum, I assure you that I have a perfectly logical reason. I myself have several friends who have had interest in what I have told them about CoN, or I have otherwise wanted to show them this game to gauge interest. The main problem here is that the CoN subforum is inaccessible if you are not already a member of the site. Therefore, in order to explain the object of the game, either I have to take ages to paraphrase, or I have to sloppily make a variety of messages explaining it. In this format, in this forum, I can just post a link to this page and Voila! Therefore, I ask that this page please not be deleted, as I myself plan on using it as a tool, and it may have uses for other players as well. Please note that all words below on this page were written and produced by LordRaidor, and I am just pasting them here. Thank you.]

RULES AND MECHANICS FOR
ONLINE (FORUM) PLAY
(Last Updated 1 Jun 2010: Recent and/or important updates are highlighted in green)

The Curse of Ne-Gok-Sa is ideally suited for play in an online environment; It can be played in a chat room, on a bulletin board, or in a community forum, just like this one. ^_~ The following addenda to the basic "Curse of Ne-Gok-Sa" rules (mostly notes on mechanics) will apply to the games hosted here in this forum:
  • All dates and times referenced by these rules will be based on Central Standard Time (CST) in the United States (or Greenwich Mean Time minus 6 hours). The forum clock at HeroScapers.com will be the official time-piece when enforcing game deadlines. [Note: the "Timezone" option in the user profile at 'Scapers.com must be set to "(GMT - 5 hours)" during Daylight Saving Time (April-October) or "(GMT - 6 hours)" otherwise (May-September) to be synchronized with CST.] All game deadlines (for registration, voting, special powers, etc.) will be explicitly posted before each game begins. Usually, this occurs at 11:00PM CST (2300hrs) on each real-world day in question.
  • Participants must be registered users in the 'Scapers.com forums to play, and must adhere to all forum guidelines throught the course of the game.
  • The CoN League Scoreboard and Thread Index maintained at 'Scapers.com contains hyperlinks to all relevant rules, roles, and regulations (including these), as will as an index of all games, both completed and in progress. If there is currently an open registration thread accepting entries for new games, it will also be noted there.
  • To enter a game, there must be an open registration thread in the 'Contest' forums. If there is a game accepting entries, interested users must send a PM (private message) to the host's user account at HeroScapers.com and agree to all of the rules posted here. All registrations must be received before the deadline posted in the registration thread. A list of all registered players will be maintained in the registration post and updated throughout the game to reflect the players' statuses. Once the registration period ends, no further entries will be permitted.
  • A player may only participate in one CoN game at any given time. If a player is participating in a CoN game already in progress (whether active or Paralyzed), that player will not be allowed to sign-up for a new game undergoing registration.
  • Once a player registers for a CoN game, that player will be expected to participate in that CoN game. Prospective players who are unsure of their ability to regularly participate in the game for the posted dates should not register. Registered players who, by choice or necessity, withdraw their participation from a game in progress should show other players the couresy of announcing this publicly. Players who regularly exhibit a lack of active participation in CoN games before they are Paralyzed may be warned by the host(s) or banned from entry into future CoN games, solely at the discretion of the Storyteller(s).
  • Once registered, each player may choose his or her character identity for the game if they wish. A player must post his or her choice in the registration thread before the end of the registration period, and it must be an 'official' Hasbro character that follows Einar, Jandar, Ullar, or Vydar (unique or common, hero or squad member). Characters are claimed on a first-come, first-served basis, and once a character is claimed by a player, no other player may use that character. Characters that follow Utgar may NOT be chosen unless specifically allowed by the Storyteller(s) during registration.
  • Players who do not choose a character identity by the end of the registration period will be assigned one randomly by the host. Players whose character identities are randomly assigned (by choice or by default) will be given 1 extra 'vote' in the 'role-playing' category at the end of the game to determine distribution of the 'role-play' Victory Points (see scoring, below).
  • Each CoN game will contain no less than 10 players and no more than 24 players total, including the Storyteller. After registration, players will be divided randomly by the host(s) into the minimum number of similarly-sized games to accomodate these restrictions, unless otherwise indicated during registration.
  • Player roles (Valhallan Warrior, Visionary, or Mindshackled Puppet) will be assigned randomly by the host. There will always be exactly 1 Storyteller and 1 Visionary in each game. The number of Puppets in each game is equal to one-quarter of "Y" (rounded down), where "Y" is the total number of players in the game minus 1. This is illustrated in the Role Distribution Chart following these rules.
  • Each player will be sent a confirmation PM to their 'Scapers.com account of thier secret role and their public character identity before the game begins.
  • Player roles will be kept SECRET for the duration of the game. Roles will not be revealed by the Storyteller as players become Paralyzed. All roles will be revealed only when the game is concluded.
  • Any revelations by a player of his or her role, whether 'accidental' or deliberate, should be considered an attempt to mislead or manipulate the other players (because it probably is). This is a perfectly acceptable and time-honored tactic. ^_^
  • Players may 'role-play' their characters if they wish (i.e., a Viper may add lotsss of hissess to hisss postssss, or a Tarn may act drunk and disorderly [within forum guidelines], etc.). This is not required, but it will increase the likelyhood of netting 'role-play' Victory Points at the end of the game.
  • Each 'DAY' of the game will consist of 48-72 hours in the Real World. If 'DAY1' is Friday/Saturday/Sunday (thru 11:00PM CST Sun), then 'DAY2' will be Tuesday/Wednesday (thru 11:00PM CST Wed). 'DAY3' will restart the cycle again on the next Friday/Saturday/Sunday, etc.
  • Each 'NIGHT' of the game will be a 24-hour time period in the Real World, following each 'DAY' of the game. If 'NIGHT1' is a Monday after 'DAY1' (ending at 11:00PM CST), then 'NIGHT2' will be Thursday, after 'DAY2' (again, ending at 11:00PM), and so on.
  • DAY Votes (by all non-Paralyzed players) must be submitted PUBLICLY in the forum. Each player voting must post their vote in BOLDED RED ALL-CAPS at normal text size (or larger) so that it can be easily located by all players. Votes may be cast for a 'player' (i.e., I VOTE FOR LORDRAIDOR) or their character identity (i.e., MY VOTE = STORYTELLER), as desired. (For players who do not know how to do this, just copy-and-paste this code: MY VOTE HERE into your post, replacing the words "MY VOTE HERE" with your actual vote.)
  • Day Votes must be posted BEFORE 11:00PM (2300 hrs) CST on the Sunday or Wednesday in question to be valid. Votes submitted after this cutoff will not be counted.
  • DAY votes in the forums may NOT be retracted or changed, for any reason. A Day Vote may be cast anytime in the 48-72 hour period, as each player sees fit, before or after any degree of discussion with the other players. However, be sure you are absolutely certain of your vote BEFORE you post it in the forum thread. I repeat, once you post a vote in the forum thread, it MAY NOT be taken back or changed.
  • For the above reason, no posts in the game thread may be edited by thier creator, for any reason. If you make a mistake, or mis-typed something, make a new post to clarify; DO NOT use the 'edit post' button in the game thread. Players who edit their own posts (for any reason) may be warned or simply evicted from the game, at the sole discretion of the Storyteller (so don't do it).
  • NIGHT Votes (Mindshackled Players only) will be submitted IN SECRET to the Storyteller (host) via PM. Votes are not required to be in bolded red all-caps for Night vote PMs, but this convention may be used, if desired.
  • NIGHT Vote PMs must be posted BEFORE 11:00PM (2300 hrs) CST on the Monday or Thursday in question to be valid. Votes submitted after this cutoff will not be counted.
  • NIGHT vote PMs may also NOT be retracted or changed, for any reason. A Night Vote PM may be sent anytime in the 24-hour period, as each Minkshackled player sees fit, before or after any degree of PRIVATE discussion (via PMs) with the other Mindshackled players. However, be sure you are absolutely certain of your vote BEFORE you PM it to the host. I repeat, once you PM your vote to the host, it MAY NOT be taken back or changed.
  • Each Mindshackled must submit his or her own vote PM to the host for it to be considered valid. A single Mindshackled 'ring-leader' may not send the host a PM 'decision' for the whole group.
  • DAY or NIGHT votes submitted by Paralyzed players will not be counted. Paralyzed players are encouraged to continue to participate in the discussions to help their faction win, but they no longer have Paralyzation votes.
  • The Warrior with the Visionary power may send a single PM to the host anytime in a 24-hour 'NIGHT' period (Monday or Thursday) to ask the role of any player he or she wishes, be they Paralyzed or not. This PM must be posted BEFORE 11:00PM (2300 hrs) CST on the Monday or Thursday in question to be valid. The Storyteller will answer the Visionary's question with a PM to him or her containing that character's role. The Storyteller will not lie or mislead the Visionary.
  • Nobody is allowed to 'abstain' from DAY voting. If an official 'DAY' vote from an active player is not posted by the appropriate deadline (as applicable), that player's vote will be assumed to have been cast for themselves and entered into the results. If nobody votes during the period in question, then the target of that DAY's Paralysis will be determined randomly by the Storyteller. All vote results, including Mindshackled PMs, Visionary queries, and random vote asignments, will be posted at the game's conclusion, if requested.
  • Any un-Paralyzed player who fails to post a 'DAY' vote in any two consecutive 'DAY' voting periods will be dropped from the game at that time. The character and role held by that player will then be handed off to a SIDEBOARDING player to fill that character/role for the remainder of the game. Repeating for clarity: any un-Paralyzed player who fails to make two consecutive DAY votes will be EJECTED from the game and have their character/role filled by a SIDEBOARDER. If you plan on 'laying low', you will still have to at least fill your 'DAILY' voting responsibilities, or you will be removed from the game.
  • Puppets MAY 'abstain' from voting at NIGHT. Puppet NIGHT votes are never cast for 'themselves' or a 'random' target. If none of the Puppets cast a Paralysis vote during a given NIGHT period, then there will be NO VICTIM Paralyzed by the Puppets that NIGHT.
  • Any DAY or NIGHT ties will be broken RANDOMLY by the host, as necessary. There will be no re-votes. Anyone who thinks they might end up in a tie should do their pleading and groveling publicly in the thread before the final votes are cast. No second chances. ^_^
  • The official results of the DAY and NIGHT votes will be posted in the game thread as soon after the end of each game 'DAY' or 'NIGHT' period as is feasible for the host. Return PMs to the Visionary (and/or other 'advanced' NIGHT power roles, such as the Empath, Intuitive, etc.) will also be sent at this time (after the NIGHT deadline has elapsed). These things should usually be done within one hour of the deadline (by midnight CST), but the Storyteller(s) will not be held to this. The first-post 'status' board with each player's curent condition will also be updated at this time. (The result of each 'Day' vote should be obvious to anyone who is keeping track anyhow, unless a tie-breaker is needed or secret balloting is being used.)
  • Players who become Paralyzed (by DAY vote or by the Mindshackled) suffer no immediate ill-effects beyond the loss of thier voting privilages. Paralyzed players are encouraged to remain an active part of the discussions to help their faction win. Note the Paralyzed players still get equal victory points if their faction wins the game, and continued participation will increase the likelyhood of receiving 'role-playing' and 'most-entertaining' votes to determine the game's true winner(s).
  • Players MAY choose to volutarily Paralyze THEMSELVES, if they wish. This may be done by DAY or NIGHT, simply by posting in the public thread that their charcter is drinking from the Wellspring. Once the Storyteller rules that such an act is 'official', it may not be retracted, and that character is considered Paralyzed for the rest of the game. The first such 'self-Paralysis' during any DAY will count as the DAY Paralysis for that DAY (for the purposes of the Empath power, etc.), and will invalidate the DAY voting for that DAY as well (the player, if any, with the most votes that DAY will not be required to drink from the Wellspring or become Paralyzed). Any subsequent 'self-sacrifices' during a DAY with multiple such acts, or any voluntary self-Paralyzations that occur at NIGHT, will have no additional effects upon the game other than those players involved losing their voting privilages and becoming officially Paralyzed.
  • The game will end when (a) all of the Mindshackled have been paralyzed [and the Warriors will all win], or (b) the number of active Minshackled players equals the number of active Warriors [and the Mindshackled will all win]. When either situation occurs, the host will make a post to announce the end of the game, post the identities of all the players, and release the results of all of the voting.
  • The players themselves will decide the true 'winner(s)' of the game after it ends. Players on the winning faction will get 3 initial victory points each. Players on the losing faction get 1 initial point each, and the Storyteller gets 2 initial victory points. Each player may then cast 2 additional final votes, 1 to the player in the group who best acted out and/or role-played their character identity, and the other 1 to the player in the group who made the game the most fun. These are obviously speculative, and made at each player's discretion.
  • Any post-game 'votes' not cast in the thread within 96 hours after the game ends will be considered forfeit and will not be included in the final determination of the voting outcome.
  • Players whose character identities were randomly assigned will receive one extra 'role-play' vote during the post-game voting tabulation. Any players who registered for one type of game (advanced, basic or keep), but willingly allowed the Storyteller to move them to a different type of game instead (for size-balance purposes) will receive one extra 'most-fun' vote at this time as well.
  • After the final votes have been counted, the player with the most 'RP' votes will get 3 extra points. The player with the next-most 'RP' votes will get 2 extra points, and the 3rd-highest total of 'RP' votes will get 1 extra point. Likewise, most 'fun' votes gets 3 points, 2nd-most gets 2 points, and 3rd-most 'fun' votes gets 1 point.
  • The player(s) with the most victory points after all of the final votes are tallied wins the game. Ties are fairly common. Curse of Ne-Gok-Sa games should never have physical 'prizes' at stake, as the whole point of playing is simply to have fun. However, 'league' rankings will be compiled for all players based on an average number of points per game played, and can be used for bragging rights, or to decide who should be Paralyzed first in the next game. ^_^
  • PMs between any and all players are legal, and encouraged. However, be warned that this is a game of subterfuge, intrigue, politics, manipulative schemes, and LIES. I would advise all players to regard ANY messages they receive from other players as outright falsehoods and attempts at vote manipulation (becase they probably are). ...But feel free to pretend that you believe them and then manipulate them in return if it suits your agenda... ^_^
  • There is not a 'rule' against posting a game-related PM from another player in the public forums or in another PM. However, since any idiot can FAKE a quote from another player with relative ease, this should also be viewed as little more than deception and trickery (which it probably is). To further undermine the credibility of 'quoted' messages, any player may request any role-specific 'forged' PMs that they wish, via PM to their Storyteller. Requests for forged messages should state to whom the PM should be addressed and what the message should relay (i.e., a Visionary message stating so-and-so is a Puppet, or an Empath Message stating that thus-and-such is a normal Warrior, etc.). The 'fake' PM will be constructed by the Storyteller in an exact format matching the 'authentic' PMs being sent for that game, and the fraudulent PM will be sent back to the requesting player at the same time that any 'authentic' PMs are dispatched for that NIGHT (after the ending deadline). The 'forged' PM may then be forwarded to other players as needed, and will be indistinguishable from 'official' messages of the same nature. ^_^
  • It is ILLEGAL to post anything other than bbcode and text in the game thread, or in PMs between players. DO NOT post images or screen captures, or any links to such images, in the game thread or in game-related PMs unless you have explicit permission from the Storyteller. (A small signature-line image identifying your in-game character is allowed.) It is also ILLEGAL to take ANY action in the game thread or via PM which completely removes all doubt of a player's secret identity (for example, telling another player your forum password so they can login as you and see your 'identity confirmation' PM). DOUBT is the central element to making this game function, and any action that completely removes all doubt will be considered cheating and grounds for ejection from the game (solely at the Storyteller's discretion).
  • All players should refrain from making 'out-of-game' references to their honor, nobility, or general trustworthiness. Any player who swears an oath of honesty on their mother, their priesthood, their dog, etc., or asks another player to do so, will most likely be met with significant hostility from the remaining players, possibly even resulting in the offender's Paralyzation during the next DAY vote. This is just a game - please keep 'personal' elements out of it.
  • That said, keep in mind that this is a game of DECEPTION. Players in here are undoubtedly going to lie, backstab, and manipulate each other regularly in order to win. It's nothing personal, ...it's just the nature of the game. Whatever happens in a CoN game, let it stay in the CoN game. Just because someone is a lying, treacherous, backstabbing, evil swine in this game, it doesn't mean they are that way all the time, it just means they're good at playing this game. (...Or if they ARE that way all the time, just wait for them to prove it outside the game before you start openly hating them for it, O.K.?...)
  • Cheating SUX. The bulk of this game revolves around secrets, deception, and paranoia. Anyone willing to cheat in order to win shouldn't be playing this game. For those determined enough to find them, I'm sure there are ways to cheat that are not covered in these rules. However, DON'T CHEAT. Don't make the Storyteller come up with even more rules to prevent cheating or decide punishments for it. Just DON'T CHEAT. Play Fair and Have Fun, or don't play at all. ^_^
TO GAIN ACCESS TO THE CON SUBFORUM, PLEASE GO HERE.

FOR AN EXAMPLE OF JUST ONE OF MANY CON GAMES, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO OBSERVE THE ALREADY COMPLETED CRIMSON CAVE HERE.

scorpiusx is Khosumet the Darklord...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Last edited by scorpiusx; August 1st, 2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old August 1st, 2010, 12:13 PM

scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Online CoN Rules for Non-Members.

[Again, this is all LordRaidor's doing. I'm just putting it here to help attain new recruits. ^_^]

Playing a Face-to-Face Game
(in the 'Real World')

The Curse of Ne-Gok-Sa is a mind game for a large group of people. At least one copy of Hasbro's miniatures-based strategy game Heroscape is required to play. The 'backstory' and characters in The Curse of Ne-Gok-Sa are based within the Valhallan realm from Heroscape, but the game system and vast majority of components are not used at all (only the army cards, red wound markers, glyphs, and one black 'round' marker are needed). Six players are an absolute minimum, but ten or more players are best. With just 1 Heroscape Master Set, you will only be able to support 8 players maximum in a single game. With 1 additional Master Set (2 total) and at least 1 of each of the available Expansions for Heroscape, a single game of The Curse of Ne-Gok-Sa can include up to 22 players. An even number of players is preferable, but not mandatory. People of all ages may play, but due to the logistic subtleties, The Curse of Ne-Gok-Sa is most suited for players ages 10 and up. Based on a classic party game called 'Mafia' or 'Werewolf', The Curse of Ne-Gok-Sa has a few minor mechanics changes and has had its content 'toned-down' to make it more suitable for younger players. The game is simple in form, but can become quite complex in execution, depending on the intelligence and enthusiasm of the players. Overall, the game plays out like a 'live-action murder-mystery', ...just with Valhallan Warriors and Mindshackled Puppets. The rules below are an adaptation of those for Curse of the Wolfen, which were in turn compilations of materials from several different sources online. I make no claims as to the creative originality of this material, in whole or in part. The majority of what follows is paraphrased from the English translation of the rules for 'Lupus in Tabula', a version of the original 'Werewolf' game currently available commercially from daVinci/Mayfair Games. Enjoy.

MATERIALS
  • A stack of Heroscape army cards: You'll need at least as many cards as the number of players minus one (a stack larger than this minimum is not a problem). Only cards for units that follow Jandar or Ullar may be used, but there must not be any duplicates. From a Master Set, the cards for the Airborne Elite, Finn, Raelin, Sgt. Drake, the Tarn Viking Warriors, Thorgrim, and Syvarris can be used. The Venoc Vipers and Warlord, Omnicrons, and Kelda from "Malliddon's Prophecy" may be added, as can the 4th Mass. Line, Knights of Weston, and Sir Denrick from "Utgar's Rage" and Charos from the "Heroes of Laur". "Jandar's Oath" and "Zanafor's Discovery" would add Alastair, Concan, Johnny 'Shotgun', the MacDirks, the Sentinels, Saylind, the Shaolin, the Armoc Vipers, the Aubrien Archers, Deadeye Dan, and Morsbane, and you can even toss in the Elite Onyx Vipers if you happen to have them. (I do realize that Ne-Gok-Sa can't usually Mindshackle 'Common' units, but that was before his powers were enhanced by a Wellspring, now wasn't it...)
  • Wound Markers: At least 1 per player, minimum.
  • Round Marker: One black 'round' marker.
  • Glyphs: Exactly1 per player. Glyphs used must always include 1 Glyph of Mitonsoul and 1 Glyph of Dagmar, plus 1 Glyph of Brandar with only 6 players, 2 Glyphs of Brandar for 7-12 players, 3 Glyphs of Brandar for 13-18 players, or 4 Glyphs of Brandar with 19-22 players. Any other random Glyphs may be used to make the total number equal to the number of players, even duplicates, as long as these Mitonsoul/Dagmar/Brandar limits are not exceeded.
GOAL
There are two factions in The Curse of Ne-Gok-Sa, the Valhallan Warriors and the Mindshackled Puppets. The Mindshackled are trying to paralyze all the Warriors one-by-one during the Night, while the Warriors seek to find and neutralize the Mindshackled hiding among them during the Day. One of the Warriors has special visions to assist him, but the Mindshackled are cunning and leave no clues to their identities. Naturally, only one faction will prevail.

SETUP
Assemble a group of players and seat them around a table or open playing area on the floor. Give each player one wound marker, to keep until it is needed. Next, create a pool of Glyphs that will be used to assign the players their roles. The Glyphs that make up the pool depend upon the number of players in the game, as detailed above. The pool should always include 1 Glyph of Mitonsoul and 1 Glyph of Dagmar. With 6 players, there is only 1 Glyph of Brandar. For 7-12 players, add a second Glyph of Brandar. With 13-18 players, include a third Glyph of Brandar, and for 19 or more players, add the final Glyph of Brandar as well. Any other random Glyphs (besides Mitonsoul, Dagmar, and Brandar) should then be added to the pool until the total number of Glyphs is equal to the total number of players.

If any player volunteers to be the Storyteller, remove the Glyph of Mitonsoul from the pool and give it to that player (disputes may be settled with a friendly game of Rock-Scissors-Paper). Otherwise, flip all the Glyphs face down, shuffle them around, and allow each player to draw a single Glyph randomly. Whoever received the Glyph of Mitonsoul becomes the Storyteller, and reveals his role immediately, placing his Glyph face-up in the play area. The rest of the players should each secretly look at their own Glyph, but must not reveal it to anyone until the game is over. Maintaining the secrecy of the players' roles is critical to the success of the game! A player who receives a Glyph of Brandar will assume the role of a Mindshackled Puppet for this game. All of the other players will be the Valhallan Warriors. The Warrior who drew the Glyph of Dagmar is a Visionary, and will receive psychic visions each night that may help him discover the identities of the Mindshackled.

After the secret roles have been distributed, each player is given a character identity. The Storyteller's character is the elderly Kyrie captive described in the introduction story, and he will be the first unfortunate victim of the mind-numbing Curse of Ne-Gok-Sa. Each of the other players will assume the identity of one of the characters from Heroscape, as determined by the army cards. The Storyteller will shuffle the stack of army cards, then deal out one card at random to each player other than himself. These characters are the members of Ullar and Jandar's forces that were trapped in the cave when Ne-Gok-Sa's trap was sprung. Players may (but are not required to) role-play their character during the course of the game to add depth to the player interactions. For example, a player dealt the Johnny 'Shotgun' card might speak in a Southern drawl or pretend to dust off his cowboy hat often, while the recipient of a Venoc Viper card might only use gestures, pantomimes, and hissing noises to communicate, etc. (If desired, one Heroscape figure representative of each army card may be given to each corresponding player as a visual aid.) Though the character identities are public knowledge (everyone in the cave can plainly see which characters are trapped with them), each player's secret role is not. Only the Mindshackled know who they are, and who is still loyal to Jandar's cause. The Mindshackled are the wolves is sheep's clothing…

GAME BASICS
Each turn of the game is divided in two cyclic stages: a Night followed by a Day. At Night the Mindshackled paralyze one player of their choice. During the Daytime, all of the players debate about which one of them is most likely a Mindshackled, then that player is rendered unconscious with the Wellspring water. One of the Warriors (the Visionary) has Nightly visions that may or may not help him discover the Mindshackled, but he must use this information carefully, as openly claiming to be a Visionary will surely make him the next victim of the Mindshackled...

* The Storyteller - The Storyteller does not belong to either the Warrior or Mindshackled faction; he is a neutral observer who manages the flow of the game. The Storyteller's character is the Kyrie captive from the prologue, and will be automatically Paralyzed during the first Night stage of the game. For the remainder of the game, he will oversee the various phases of each Day and Night stage, enforce the rules of play, arbitrate any minor disputes that might arise, and announce when the game has ended and which side has won. The Storyteller may take notes about the players' roles for his own personal use if desired, but any such notes should be kept concealed from the players at all times, so that no identities are compromised.

* A Note on Gender - Throughout these rules, all players are assumed to be male for the sake of simplicity, and thus referred to with the masculine pronouns 'he', 'his', and 'him'. If there are female players in the game, the Storyteller should take extra care to avoid giving away anyone's identity by accidentally using gender-specific terms. When referencing the players' secret roles, the Storyteller should always use the specific role titles like 'Visionary' or 'Mindshackled' instead of pronouns like 'she' or 'him'.

* Nights and Sleeping - At Night, all players except the Storyteller 'fall asleep' by bowing their heads and closing their eyes. During the Night, as the Storyteller announces each phase by role title, the corresponding player(s) will 'awaken', lift their heads and open their eyes, then interact silently with the Storyteller as appropriate for their role(s). The Storyteller will then send those players back 'to sleep' before calling on the next phase of the Night and the next player(s). In this way, players will be able to communicate their choices or intentions to the Storyteller secretly, without any of the other players learning their identities. It is very important for the players who are currently 'awake' to be absolutely silent, so as not to give away their identities. To help maintain secrecy during the Night, players should each make a 'Night Noise': some low-level background interference that will cover up any accidental sounds made by the other players. Examples of Night Noise include lightly patting the table, humming softly, tapping a foot on the floor, etc. Night Noise should be loud enough to prevent the sleeping players from hearing the movements or gestures of the players who are awake and interacting with the Storyteller, but soft enough that the Storyteller's instructions can still be clearly heard by all. Also, players should be careful not to stop their 'Night Noise' when it is their turn to wake up for the Storyteller. If you're the only one at the table humming "Bridge on the River Kwai", and someone notices that the humming stops when the Storyteller awakens the Mindshackled, you might not make it through the next Day without a sip from the Wellspring…

THE FIRST NIGHT
The first Night of the game is slightly different than all of the subsequent Nights. During the first Night, the Storyteller is simply finding out which players have which roles. After the players have memorized their roles, all of them will fall asleep. The Storyteller may read the prologue story to the players at this time, if he desires. The Storyteller will then call aloud each of the various roles in the game, one at a time, and the appropriate player(s) will awaken to make eye-contact with the Storyteller, then go back to sleep. For example, the Storyteller will say aloud, "Visionary, awaken. Open your eyes and find me." After the Visionary opens his eyes and the Storyteller knows who he is, the Storyteller will say, "Visionary, go back to sleep." The Storyteller will then call upon the Mindshackled, saying, "Mindshackled, Awaken. Open your eyes and look around to find each other and me." Once he knows who the Mindshackled are, and they have all seen each other, he will say, "Mindshackled, go back to sleep." The Storyteller will then know all of the players' roles and be able to properly arbitrate the game. Note that the Storyteller will never call upon the normal Warriors to awaken at Night, as they have no special powers to use.

DAYS
After all of the Nighttime activities are concluded, the Storyteller announces that it is Day, and asks everyone to awaken. All players open their eyes. The Storyteller informs the players that one of them was paralyzed during the previous Night, and points to that player, who immediately becomes Paralyzed (see below). (On the very first Day, it will be the Storyteller's character that is found in a mental stupor, but for each dawn following, it will be the player chosen by the Mindshackled that Night.) The remaining players must now choose someone they suspect is a brain-numbing Mindshackled, then incapacitate him with the Wellspring water. Players should talk among themselves in order to attempt to identify the Mindshackled. Though there are no restrictions on what may be said by the players (truth, misdirection, lies...), remember that players may not actually reveal their Glyphs to anyone. The Mindshackled will obviously try to throw suspicion on the Warriors (especially anyone they think is the Visionary). The Visionary will try to incriminate any Mindshackled he's discovered, without revealing his identity and making himself the most likely victim of the Mindshackled in the coming Night. The only information the Warriors have is what other players say and who becomes Paralyzed. Accusing someone of being Mindshackled is suspicious. Not accusing anyone is also suspicious. Agreeing with another player a lot is suspicious, and therefore so is pretending not to agree with another player. Never voting to incapacitate a particular player is very suspicious for both of them. It is important that the Storyteller not speak outside his official capacity, even to correct a blatant misstatement about a matter of record, lest he inadvertently divulge information about someone's identity. It us up to the players to decide who is Mindshackled, without the aid of the Storyteller.

* Voting - The Storyteller should limit the wild speculation to about 1 minute per 'conscious' (non-Paralyzed) player. After this time has elapsed, the Storyteller informs the players that discussions are over for the Day. Players then begin casting their votes for who should receive a dose of the Wellspring water. Starting with the player sitting to the right of the last player Paralyzed, each player in clockwise order gives his wound marker to the player he believes should be given the water. Players may vote for themselves if they wish, but they must give their wound marker to someone (nobody may 'abstain'). After all players have cast their votes, the player with the most wound markers immediately becomes Paralyzed (see below), but may still not reveal his Glyph. If the vote is a tie, each of the tied players may defend themselves with a brief speech, less than one minute long. The voting should then be repeated a second time. If this second vote is still a tie, the Storyteller must break the tie by placing one black 'round' marker into a hat, bag, cup, or other convenient receptacle, along with enough red wound markers to equal the number of tied players. The tied players should then each blindly draw one marker from the cup. The player who draws the black marker is Paralyzed.

SECOND AND SUBSEQUENT NIGHTS
When voting is concluded, the Day is over. The Storyteller asks all players to go to sleep, and the next Night stage begins. Each Night after the first is conducted according to a set sequence, with the different players awakening to interact with the Storyteller when their roles are announced. (A Night Sequence Chart with a summary of these phases in proper order follows these rules.) The Storyteller will call upon and interact with the Visionary first, then the Mindshackled. The Visionary's role must be played every Night, even if the Visionary has already been Paralyzed. In order to not give away his identity, the Storyteller will simply call out the Visionary phase as usual, then end the phase after a brief pause, giving the remaining players reason to believe that the role is still in use. The Storyteller should be careful to always talk towards the center of the group at Night. If, for example, he turns to face the Visionary when he says "Visionary, awaken," the Mindshackled may detect the change in acoustics.

* The Visionary - Perhaps he is a latent telepath. Maybe his mind was somehow altered by the nearby Wellspring. Then again, it might just have been the chunk of debris that hit him in the head during the rockslide. Whatever the cause, this Warrior has been haunted by psychic visions since the cave-in. Once per Night, he has a vision about one other player of his choice and discovers if that player is a Mindshackled or a normal Warrior. Each Night after the first, the Storyteller announces the Visionary phase by saying, "Visionary, awaken. Open your eyes and choose your player." The Visionary may then quietly point to any other player of his choice, Paralyzed or not. The Storyteller will silently respond with a thumbs-up if the Visionary pointed at a Mindshackled or a thumbs-down otherwise. The Storyteller then calls the end of the Visionary phase with, "Visionary, go back to sleep," and continues with the Mindshackled phase of the Night.

* The Mindshackled - When the Storyteller calls the Mindshackled phase each Night (after the first) the Mindshackled awaken and quietly agree on one Warrior to Paralyze. It is critical that they remain silent during their deliberations, so as not to give themselves away. Any sign language is acceptable, including pointing, nodding, raising eyebrows, and so on. The Mindshackled should try to reach a consensus quickly, usually in less than 1 minute per 'conscious' Mindshackled. When the Mindshackled have reached a decision, the Storyteller should also point at the player they have chosen so that the Mindshackled may nod in confirmation. If the Mindshackled are unable to reach a unanimous agreement on who is to be Paralyzed within the time allotted, then the Storyteller must randomly select a non-Mindshackled player to become Paralyzed, by any method of his choice. Once the Mindshackled victim has been confirmed by the Storyteller, the Mindshackled will be sent back to sleep and the Night is over. The Storyteller then awakens all the players and announces that the player chosen by the Mindshackled has entered a trance while they slept. That player immediately becomes Paralyzed and gives his wound marker to the Storyteller (see below). It is now Day, and the entire cycle begins again.

PARALYZED
In The Curse of Ne-Gok-Sa, Paralyzed players are still a part of the game. Any player who has been targeted by the Mindshackled or given Wellspring water after a Day vote becomes Paralyzed. His wound marker is given to the storyteller for the rest of the game. During the following Days (but not Nights), a Paralyzed can freely talk and try to actively persuade other players in any way. This represents the 'mindless babbling' these Warriors spew while their body lies rigid and useless (and it's a great way to keep players active in the game even after their characters have been stupefied). Note that a Paralyzed player may not participate in the voting process during the Day (they no longer have wound markers to use as votes). At Night, Paralyzed players close their eyes just like all the other players, and they do not have any special abilities, regardless of the role they had while they were still conscious (even if they were Mindshackled). Remember that even though they are not 'active', Paralyzed players must still keep their true identities a secret. Any Paralyzed player who shows another player his Glyph before the end of the game is immediately removed from the game, just as if he had been Summoned (see below).

SUMMONING
Players can make any kind of claims they wish about their true roles (from honest truths to bald-faced lies), but a player who actually reveals his Glyph to anyone (other than the Storyteller) may no longer participate in the game. Their 'character' will vanish instantly from the cave, as if they had been magically Summoned away by their commanding General. If a character is Summoned, it always brings an abrupt end to the current phase of the game. Any Summonings during the Day immediately end that Day, without any further discussion or voting. Likewise, any Summonings at Night bring an end to that Night and dawn occurs immediately, without further use of any special powers or any Paralysis taking place (even if a victim had already been chosen). Players who get themselves Summoned do not become Paralyzed; they are whisked completely out of the game. They may no longer talk, comment, vote, or otherwise participate in the game in any way. While it is a legal game option, getting Summoned is strongly discouraged, as that player is basically removing himself from the game entirely.

WINNING
The Day and Night cycles continue until one of two victory conditions is met. If the last Mindshackled is Paralyzed, the Storyteller immediately announces that the game has ended and the Warriors have won. On the other hand, if the Mindshackled have Paralyzed (or cause to be Paralyzed through voting) enough Warriors so that their numbers are equal (for example: 2 Mindshackled and 2 Warriors still conscious, or 3 and 3, or 1 and 1, etc.), then the Storyteller calls the end of the game with a victory for the Mindshackled (as they would now be able to overwhelm the Warriors openly). Note that factions always win as a team. If the Warrior faction wins, then all of the Warriors have won, including those whose characters were Paralyzed. If the Mindshackled faction wins, then the whole Mindshackled group wins, even any Paralyzed ones. Once the game is over, all the players may finally reveal their Glyphs and congratulate the winners on their outstanding performances (or unbelievable luck).

CHEATING
Though it as an abominable concept, this note should be made for the official record. Cheating is WRONG. It takes all the fun out of the game. A focal concept of this game is secrecy, and any deliberate attempts by players to learn information that they should not know is ILLEGAL. For this reason, anyone caught by the Storyteller attempting to peek at other players' activities during the Night, or steal a glance at other players' Glyphs, will be considered to have been Summoned, and will be immediately removed from the game (...and ideally the room and the building, if not the city in question...). That said, the occasional player or Storyteller error is an unavoidable fact of life. If the Storyteller accidentally reveals someone's identity, or a player mistakenly awakens during the wrong phase at Night, the players should try to minimize the damage done and continue the game if possible, or if the game is spoiled, simply toss in their Glyphs and army cards and re-deal a new game.

TOURNAMENT/CAMPAIGN SCORING
In a situation where several games will be played over the course of one sitting, or where a regular group of players meets often to play The Curse of Ne-Gok-Sa, the following scoring system may be used to determine an overall winner and/or individual standings within a league. After each game is concluded, 3 points are given to each player in the winning faction, 1 point is given to each player in the losing faction, and 2 points are given to the Storyteller. Players who are Summoned receive no points. In addition to this basic score, a total of 2 bonus points are awarded by the players themselves; 1 to the player in the group who best acted out and/or role-played the character identity on his army card, and the other 1 to the player in the group who made the game the most fun. After everyone's Glyphs have been revealed and everyone has had a good laugh, these bonus points are disbursed as follows. Each player should give his army card to the single player he thinks acted the most 'in-character', then give his Glyph to the player that he feels contributed the most to making the game enjoyable. This process is obviously a subjective matter of personal opinion, and is not really open to debate or discussion. A player may give his Glyph and/or card to anyone he chooses, even the Storyteller or himself (though giving a card or Glyph to oneself is considered poor form), or he may choose not to hand out his card and/or Glyph at all. Once all players have given away their cards and Glyphs (or opted not to do so), the player with the most army cards gets 1 bonus point for being the best role-player, and the player with the most Glyphs gets 1 point for adding the most enjoyment to the game. Both bonus points may be given to the same player if he has the most army cards and the most Glyphs. In the case of a tie in one or both categories, each player in the tie receives a full bonus point. At the end of the gaming session, the player with the most campaign points is considered the winner. For standings in a regular league, each individual's ranking should be determined by his total points divided by the total number of games he has played.

NIGHT SEQUENCE CHART

First Night (Setup)
The Storyteller should call upon and identify the players' roles, as follows:
  • Everyone, go to sleep.
  • Visionary, let me find you. Visionary, go back to sleep.
  • Mindshackled, find each other and me. Mindshackled, go back to sleep.
The cave-in is over and the dust has settled; it is Day. Everyone, awaken and discover that I am Paralyzed.

Subsequent Nights
The Storyteller should conduct the players' phases in this order:
  • Everyone, go to sleep.
  • Visionary, awaken and choose your player. Visionary, go back to sleep.
  • Mindshackled, awaken and choose your victim. Mindshackled, go back to sleep.
The Night is over; the sun is rising. Everyone, awaken and see whom the Mindshackled have Paralyzed.

Old August 1st, 2010, 12:17 PM
Chilly Fangirl

ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Nicely thought out idea, scorp. Hopefully, we can attract new players to this awesome game.

I advocate that this get stickied so it doesn't get lost next Unit Battle Royale.
Old August 1st, 2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABOMINATION View Post
Nicely thought out idea, scorp. Hopefully, we can attract new players to this awesome game.

I advocate that this get stickied so it doesn't get lost next Unit Battle Royale.
I'd REALLY like to get Crimson Cave moved and locked here, but that is something that I can sadly not do. Sigh.

-scorp

Old August 1st, 2010, 12:34 PM
That's right! He can be taught!

Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby!

Thanks scorp! brilliant idea! I now have a better idea of how to play. Just one more question. What is the purpose of votes and PMs during game play?

In progress fan fic; Kaia Vendetta

Slink's story can be found here.
Old August 1st, 2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elven Lord View Post
Thanks scorp! brilliant idea! I now have a better idea of how to play. Just one more question. What is the purpose of votes and PMs during game play?
Whoever attains the most votes during a given day is paralyzed at the end of that day, and then night begins.

PM's are a necessity for puppets and the visionary so that the storyteller can relay their night abilities. However, they are also used heavily between players for scheming purposes. The most common usage is when the visionary visions another player a warrior, and the visionary PM's said warrior, making them their "mouthpiece."

-scorp

Old August 1st, 2010, 12:57 PM

Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Wow, stickied already!
Old August 1st, 2010, 01:16 PM

Whitearrow knows what's in an order marker Whitearrow knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitar View Post
Wow, stickied already!
Within an hour of it being posted. Has that ever happened before when its not planned by the powers that be?

But it might not hurt to include a link to the thread about permission. Even though its right below this thread, some people might not see that...
Old August 1st, 2010, 01:20 PM

EXCELLENT POINT!

Here is the thread that will show you how to get access to the CoN subforum.

-scorp

Old August 1st, 2010, 02:38 PM

jwindjackal rolls all skulls baby! jwindjackal rolls all skulls baby! jwindjackal rolls all skulls baby! jwindjackal rolls all skulls baby!

This is a good idea, now you can better attempt to convince you know who to play lol.

x3
jwindjackal is the Marro Divider(s)...
Old August 1st, 2010, 09:39 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Scorp, may I recommend editing your original post to put both those links in first? It would make them far more accessible.

~Aldin, CoN promotingly

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old August 1st, 2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Scorp, may I recommend editing your original post to put both those links in first? It would make them far more accessible.

~Aldin, CoN promotingly
Already did so with the Crimson link, but I'll go ahead do so with the other one, too.

-scorp

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games