Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender
AotP Blender A place to discuss AotP customs and ways to integrate Heroscape with AotP.

Notices

Old August 22nd, 2015, 07:58 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: Porting AotP Into Scape

Just a quick General Progress Report on my first Planeswalker gaming:

1. In the last couple of days I've solitaired six games with all five PWs: three 2-Players, one 2 vs 2 team, and one 5 Player free for all, using the three clever maps given--considering the lack of available terrain in general on a mostly featureless plain (er, plane).

2. Today Taeblewalker is coming over for some live opponent action.

3. I've got about a dozen rules questions, and after today's games probably will have a dozen more. I'll post them in the Question Bank thread soon.

Then the decks will be clear for more thoughts on combining the games as I plan.

Last edited by chas; August 23rd, 2015 at 09:33 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 09:36 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Well, there is nobody better to play first time face to face with than Taeblewalker! Not only did he show how to best use each Planeswalker by winning five games in a row, but instead of having many more rules questions, he nailed a few down for me, and we only came up with one or two new ones. These will be appearing soon in the Question Dump and spell card threads!

Last edited by chas; August 23rd, 2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 01:34 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

@chas -
It sounds like we may have to up his status from "Plain @Taeblewalker " to "Taebleplanewalker" ~~lol~~

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old August 28th, 2015, 09:51 PM

ZENDIKAR COMETH!

Now that we know that the January expansion will be one Black and one Blue/Green Planeswalker with cards and squads for them, we can see that it will be quite a while before we can play that much of an augmented "official" AotP game. Therefore the blending project for me will most likely continue before January, with Scape figures added to the armies of the First Five PWs to create a longer and more varied game.

(Since no new terrain seems to be forthcoming, adding at least Scape terrain is pretty much a no brainer for everyone, I'd think).
Old August 31st, 2015, 07:09 PM

Helznicht has disabled reputation
Smile Re: Porting AotP Into Scape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
After reading through all the spell cards I'm a bit concerned that some of the enchantments would be broken when applied to common squads. Drafting 4th Mass x5, Stingers x5, etc. and enchanting all 5 squads with more attack or defense for just a few points them seems way to good.
I would agree if you had the squads on the board from the start (ala heroscape).

But if you have to summon them in, that's 3 rounds of them not activating (cause you are activating you wiz to summon) that your opponent can lay waste to them (we limited it to 1 summon per activation, taking it to 5). If your opponent lets you summon all 15 stingers to the table without using spells and one of his own units to counter for 3-5 rounds, he gets what he deserves. You cant summon and activate a unit on the same turn, and you have to activate your planeswalker to summon. Also remember if a unit has no figs on the board, they cant be enchanted (ie. you loose that spell. Its very limiting.

An example, you summon in some stingers, your opponent summons in some knights usually within move range thanks to summon within 5 spaces rule. So do you now activate your walker to summon more stingers, allowing your enemy first strike with a potentially buffed knight squad, or do you activate your stingers to shoot at the new threat, not getting your x5 to the table?

I played a game where my opponent had 2 units of old HS zombies on the board buffed with the +3 necro spell. Killed Krug in one round. I then killed 4 of his zombies with a single Phoenix and Pyroclasm spell, didn't even have to roll a die, making them near useless.

If you can't beat 'em, eat 'em!
Old August 31st, 2015, 08:31 PM

aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby!

So is thread about porting AotP into Scape, or Scape into AotP? Because my friends and I have some ideas written down for turning AotP into Scape, and will just start another thread if this thread is the latter option.
Old September 1st, 2015, 10:58 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamaniac27 View Post
So is thread about porting AotP into Scape, or Scape into AotP? Because my friends and I have some ideas written down for turning AotP into Scape, and will just start another thread if this thread is the latter option.
I'd like to hear your thoughts. I think the thread will always blend the two things a bit, but speak up and retake the thread!
Old September 1st, 2015, 11:52 AM

If you look at the revised OP, you'll see my own intent, which I have yet to carry out. Others can post as they like, but really off topic posts should in fact be on other threads. Once I get my project going, posts here should be more specific!

People are invited to go back to the OP and react to it!
Old September 1st, 2015, 02:52 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

So by your rules could a Planeswalker activate a Summon.

I feel like the command power is built into the current planeswalker, thus you would never put an ordermarker on a summoned card unless the planeswalker was destroyed or very low on life.

@chas :
Quote:
Their own point cost and that of their spell deck must be paid separately.
This makes it seems you are playing the 300+ cost for the planes walker and the points on the spell card. It seems that the cost 200 points of the spells are already included in that 300 point cap. Otherwise the 700 points of AotP figures and spells would be far inferior to 700 points of scape cards. Really, 10 squads of 4th mass would dominate any of the Planeswalkers, whereas I think 7 squads may be somewhat more balanced (maybe not).

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old September 1st, 2015, 06:30 PM

The PW would require an Order Marker, which would include his summon action (and something like Immediate which allows a creature to act as soon as summoned). After that, a creature squad would require a separate Order Marker.

Scape units would not be summoned, but use a start zone, as they normally do.

As I understand it from other threads, the point cost of the spell deck is included in that of the Planeswalker. I'm only suggesting that they be seen as two different costs so that you can deck build in the future. so the real cost of the PW would be his/her points minus that of his/her spell deck. Is that right?
Old September 1st, 2015, 07:00 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Separating out the cost of the Planeswalker makes sense.

I'm not 100% on the Order marker for summoned creatures. Looking at command figures like Kato, Daishi, Deathcommander, etc. there is a cost built in for their command ability. I think the same cost is built into the planeswalkers and the flexablity of activating a planeswalker and taking a turn with the summons.

As I understand it, it is possible to cast spells even when taking a turn with summoned creatures. If you can't cast spells when taking a turn with summons, it can really devalue them.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old September 1st, 2015, 10:22 PM

aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamaniac27 View Post
I'd like to hear your thoughts. I think the thread will always blend the two things a bit, but speak up and retake the thread!
So for starters, we nixed the summoning units and spell decks. (We don't outright hate the spell decks, but feel that they straight up win more games than simply help out your army. We plan on coming back to them as a variant at a later date.) We also plan on knocking all squads back down to 1 life. With those changes, we had to rework a few abilities on on the Walkers, in addition to cutting their cost down by 200 points.

LILIANA: Snuff out reworded to "Instead of attacking, you may choose any common figure that is within 6 clear sight spaces of Liliana and is adjacent to at least 1 undead figure you control. The chosen figure is destroyed." Still awesome, but trades the qualifier of a figure needing to be damaged for being adjacent to an undead you control.

GIDEON: Avatar of Justice buff caps at +3 additional dice (max of 8 without other buffs). Upped his attack to 4.

NISSA: Keen sight buffs Elves instead of "green creatures." Sprint clarifies she will take any leaving engagement attacks.

JACE: No cards to draw, needed a new ability.
THOUGHT SCOUR 12
Whenever Jace wounds an opponent's Unique Hero with a basic attack, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 12 or higer, you may look at an unrevealed order marker on that figure's Army Card.

Mind Stealer can affect any Unique Hero.

The squads are in progress. The Phoenixes and Elementals will probably become common heroes. We want to rework Trample, as it currently feels like Cleave. This is what we have now:
TRAMPLE [X]
For each space [unit] moves this turn, add 1 to it's attack this turn, up to a maximum of [X] additional dice.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender