Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old September 10th, 2008, 12:24 PM

Roller has disabled reputation
Re: Florida Frenzy 2: Oct. 18th

[quote=himsati;667783
26" will fit on the table okay since it is only 2" over (the tables are actually 30" wide, we set 24" as the standard to try to remember to provide room for people to roll dice and such and not have the maps come right up to the edge of the table and get knocked over). So Badru will work for either swiss/quarter or the semi or the final.[/quote]

Then we should use Badru for the prelims.

Badru, Fen, Stroll, and Crystallized.

4 of each=
8 Rotv
8 Sotm
8 Road
8 Jungle
4 Tundra
8 Castle
Old September 10th, 2008, 01:46 PM

BurnyFlame has disabled reputation

I do want to play on all new maps if possible, and don't care if they are "tried and true." And I don't think it would be a bad idea to include both versions of Broken Skyline, either 2 copies of each in the qualifiers, or just have the original in the qualifiers and the remake in the semi's. That goes for any map in which modifications were suggested. It would definitely cut down on set up time for the semi's.
Old September 10th, 2008, 02:11 PM

himsati knows what's in an order marker himsati knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post
Amazon, we would really need to change the center like I suggested earlier to use it. I think we'd be better off with Fen. Stroll and Crystallized for the prelims. I just say we used tried and true maps from the past tourneys. Mole Hills and Fire Isles?
Amazon stops casually crossing the water by even double-spaced units, yes. But flyers, leapers, teleporters and water walkers still can; most armies usually have at least one or two of them. What I'm trying to point out is that most of the maps were chosen in part because they "mix it up" - different starting positions, central areas, a snow-map, etc. Those of us used to pulling out our regular winning unit combos and using the same tactics may find it a little trickier this time....

Correction: Those of you used to pulling... as we all know I go for style (my themes) over substance (a working army)

I don't mean to sound rude (so please no one take it that way) but the reality is that some of the maps being brought back up and debated already received a many no votes (one of mine got shot down too). Continuing to debate mods and more new maps could have us starting map selection all over. Not picking on Roller (I quoted him as a reference point only) as several of us have done it - me too . While Necro may very well go along with that, it won't be fair in terms of giving him ample time to ensure needed resources and practice time for us.

I'd suggest it is time to just cast final votes to let Necro know what we all like and don't and allow him as the tourney organizer to make his final decisions. There is no way that everyone is going to be perfectly happy with the final decision (most of us will have one or two of the maps we don't like that well), I'm sure there will be enough maps liked and more importantly the good times and comraderie to make the tourney another huge success! <and you can obtain these kind of propoganda-like marketing tools by sending me $100.00 in a self-addressed stamped envel....... >

Last edited by himsati; September 10th, 2008 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Correction to tell the truth
Old September 10th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Here is the updated map voting:
Quote:
Fen = No, no, no, no, yes
E. Pond = No, no, no, yes, no
Stroll Park = Yes, yes (FINAL), yes, no, yes, yes
Overlord = Yes (FINAL), yes (FINAL), no, yes, yes
Ice Blossom = No, no, no, no, no
Crystallized = Yes, yes, yes, yes (FINAL), yes
Badru Valley = Yes (FINAL), yes, yes, yes, yes, yes
Amazon = Yes, yes, yes (modified), no, no
Jungle Clash = Yes (remove elevated starting zones), no, no, no, no
Lava Fortress = No (lava should be high ground), yes, no, no, no
Soulrazor Canyon
Broken Skyline Remake = Yes, no
Looks like our 6 choices are: Stroll Through the Park, Overlord, Crystallized, Bardu Valley, Amazon, and Broken Skyline.

Now, for Broken Skyline, do most of you prefer the original or the remake?
And which two should be the finals maps?

I believe Badru and Overlord are the biggest, hence my votes for the finals. Broken Skyline...Sysiphus makes sense, but at the same time it takes melee figures that much longer to reach ranged guys on the pillars on the original. I'm torn.
I don't ever think I mentioned that I'm not a fan of Amazon. I would like to try the new Broken Skyline (and not have the other--just my opinion).

I'll also say that if you haven't played the East Pond, it really is a pretty slick map--the skinniness of it, the high exposed 3-hex sand, etc.--is better than I expected. I've played the Fen a lot (and love it!), but I'd rather see East Pond (if we can swing the sets to build it of course...) and not do the Fen again.

Perhaps our jungle map will just be Stroll--a really excellent one, imho (in some ways just a more robust version of the Fen, actually).

[EDIT: Sorry, himsati, I was typing while you were writing--got interrupted with my screen up. I didn't mean to fuel any more fire--I agree that we need to come to a conclusion and I fully support whichever way we go. I just look forward to playing!]
Old September 10th, 2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himsati View Post
As to the issue with Amazon's center, yes this map does stop even double-spacers from ignoring the water. So instead of the usual 2/3 that cannot cross it is 3/4 of the HS figures out there. But flyers, vipers (frenzy +1 at this tourney?), anyone else with water walking, even the Marro Drudges can bypass that so I don't think it is a show-stopper. It is different and I think that is what we are going for with this is to not just repeat the same exact kinds of layouts and maps as the last tournaments.
Even if the map had an all land center, it still wouldn't be good. theres just no reason to go into the center. I don't like maps that leave dead space like that.

And as for East Pond, there's too much jungle/highground. Games will take too long.

Neither are good for tournament play.
Old September 11th, 2008, 09:43 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

The Swiss rounds will be 4x4 maps, with another 1x4 for the Top 8, then 1x2 for Top 4, and 1 of the 6 chosen at random for the final match. Maybe? Does that sound good?

Amazon is the weakest of the maps that got "voted through." I'd replace it with Fen or Pond, but we clearly can't agree on those either. Road Rampage has been suggested and the only reason I didn't suggest the BoV map in the first place is I thought it was too big.

If someone can confirm this, either we'll need another suggestion, approval of this map, or to suck it up and prepare to play on Amazon.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old September 11th, 2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himsati View Post

Amazon stops casually crossing the water by even double-spaced units, yes. But flyers, leapers, teleporters and water walkers still can; most armies usually have at least one or two of them. What I'm trying to point out is that most of the maps were chosen in part because they "mix it up" - different starting positions, central areas, a snow-map, etc. Those of us used to pulling out our regular winning unit combos and using the same tactics may find it a little trickier this time....

Correction: Those of you used to pulling... as we all know I go for style (my themes) over substance (a working army)

I don't mean to sound rude (so please no one take it that way) but the reality is that some of the maps being brought back up and debated already received a many no votes (one of mine got shot down too). Continuing to debate mods and more new maps could have us starting map selection all over. Not picking on Roller (I quoted him as a reference point only) as several of us have done it - me too . While Necro may very well go along with that, it won't be fair in terms of giving him ample time to ensure needed resources and practice time for us.

I'd suggest it is time to just cast final votes to let Necro know what we all like and don't and allow him as the tourney organizer to make his final decisions. There is no way that everyone is going to be perfectly happy with the final decision (most of us will have one or two of the maps we don't like that well), I'm sure there will be enough maps liked and more importantly the good times and comraderie to make the tourney another huge success! <and you can obtain these kind of propoganda-like marketing tools by sending me $100.00 in a self-addressed stamped envel....... >
Last i checked, I haven't used the same unit twice in any tourney I've been in.

And the reason I don't like some maps is because they favor one unit over another, not because it benefits my "regular winning unit combo". I try to find the most interesting and balanced maps to play on. I do this by play testing them, not just saying, "wow, that looks cool, lets play on it."

I also put alot of work into bringing terrain as well and helping set up. The last two Central Florida Tournaments my car accounted for most of the terrain used. So I know a little bit about that.
Old September 11th, 2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
The Swiss rounds will be 4x4 maps, with another 1x4 for the Top 8, then 1x2 for Top 4, and 1 of the 6 chosen at random for the final match. Maybe? Does that sound good?

Amazon is the weakest of the maps that got "voted through." I'd replace it with Fen or Pond, but we clearly can't agree on those either. Road Rampage has been suggested and the only reason I didn't suggest the BoV map in the first place is I thought it was too big.

If someone can confirm this, either we'll need another suggestion, approval of this map, or to suck it up and prepare to play on Amazon.
Good map. No jungle, no swamp. We should have plenty of terrain to include that one. As far as size is concerned, I'd have to double check when I got home.

Last edited by Roller; September 11th, 2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

To clarify: East Pond has little high ground (only two 3-hex hills--exposed to ranged fire) and is a smaller map than it looks--play goes quickly on it, I find.

Road Rampage is a great map. It has enough size that it can go a bit longer than some, I'll admit, but only a bit. We used it once and it had a way of either playing fast, or taking some time. Anyhow, I support it as an excellent map and good for a tourney (size permitting, of course).

And, again, Fen is a good map as well, just one I am personally tired of playing on (being the only SotM BoV for a while, it has just seen a lot of play).
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:

Good map. No jungle, no swamp. We should have plenty of terrain to include that one. As far as size is concerned, I'd have to double check when I got home.
26.24 x 36.72 (in inches). It spills off a tiny bit from the 24" setting but still makes it with a little squeeze. I like Amazon but since there are only two yes votes, one that was on the fence and now seems a no (to make three no votes)... I'll gladly vote yes on this as a replacement for Amazon.
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Last i checked, I haven't used the same unit twice in any tourney I've been in.
NP as I wasn't referring to you... a few folks have been pretty happy with using certain units the last couple of tourneys and game days I've been to; some of these maps may alter their usual strategies.

Quote:
And the reason I don't like some maps is because they favor one unit over another, not because it benefits my "regular winning unit combo".
My take is that a map slightly favoring a small group of units (not heavily favoring one or two specific units) is not a bad tournament map if it is balanced out by the other maps used for the tourney. The other maps become more of a challenge to those tailoring armies to the one specific map.
For example: Lava and Snow automatically give a little boost to Obsidian and Dzu (and your flyer/leaper types too) but the terrain is still often in use as main battle-areas of many maps. Though this might have just as much to do with their mid-low ratings that the boost doesn't make them much more of a threat.

Quote:
I try to find the most interesting and balanced maps to play on. I do this by play testing them, not just saying, "wow, that looks cool, lets play on it."
Wasn't assuming you did just say "wow". When my friends and I tried out Amazon, we used the middle about half the time; you and yours obviously didn't. Hey, it happens. However, I'm still more than happy to have cast my lot in with Road Rampage as it quickly seems to be a happier alternative for all involved.

Oh, on the topic of Amazon... Proud daddy moment...
After testing out Amazon I played with my boys some that night. My 10-year old used a Viper/Venoc combo to quickly come across the middle at a unit with no order markers on it. The unit was away from the side with the glyph I was heading for. So with a little frenzy luck, he had wiped out two units at the end of the second turn of the first round no less. He's had some issues with being a sore loser with his brothers, he's starting to get better and if he keeps it up he just might join us sometime later this year!
Old September 11th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Keeping Marcu in check

Zealot knows what's in an order marker Zealot knows what's in an order marker Zealot knows what's in an order marker

This may be coming a bit late from me but I'm going to go ahead and give my vote on the maps based solely on having built them and looked at them (no playtesting )

Overlord: yes (little big, maybe finals)

Cyrstallized: Definitely yes, (we need a snow map and this one is balanced with its road, Question: are we using heavy snow or Slippery ice or both?)

Stroll through the park: yes, (this and Badru I haven't built but it looks REALLY good, and is a better set up than Amazon for our jungle map)

Road Rampage: yes, (I've played this one a couple times and voted for it last tournament)

I also like Embattled Fen a lot but I'm not sure what everyone else thinks. I would vote yes for both Fen and Badru as well.

---- Let's all be honest here ----
---- This is what you thought of when you saw my name wasn't it?

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events