Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old August 7th, 2013, 10:56 PM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: NorCal - Map Monsters in August

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninValentina View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgames View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
What is to keep both players from just constantly taking turns with the MM, perhaps just moving it back and forth fruitlessly in the middle of the map? Perhaps a d20 for control, with a chance of nothing happening or perhaps the opponent getting control for the turn on a particularly poor roll?
Nothing. Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

~Z
Give all Map Monsters the following ability-

Wandering Monster:
This figure cannot end its turn in any hexes it has previously occupied during this round.

This also makes using the monster a bit more strategic, because it cannot camp a spot or a location; if you activate the monster, it must move.
I am considering adding the following special ability to all Map Monsters:
Fickle
Before taking a turn with this unit, roll a d20. On a result of 1-3, this unit's move is equal to the die roll and, if this unit's range is greater than the die roll, this unit's range is equal to the die roll. On a result of 20, your opponent controls this unit for this turn.

How does this sound?

~Z

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread

Last edited by cmgames; August 7th, 2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old August 8th, 2013, 02:43 AM
Advocates Stripping (& Is 47.8% Right)

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness

A question and a comment on that. What happens if you roll 4-19? I assume the unit moves as normal, but you didn't specify.

My comment is simply that if you are concerned about repetitive movements as both players command the map monster, this ability hardly prevents that.

- Heroscape is a standing game. -
Old August 8th, 2013, 03:03 AM

Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness

What if there were two monsters, one controlled (mostly) by each side? Sort of like in the 7th voyage of Sinbad, when the Dragon and Cyclops were battling in the middle of the beach. Rather than taking your turn with an OM you can attempt to control your monster. 1 Your opponent controls the monster this turn. 2-3 The monster does nothing this turn 4-20 You control the monster this turn.

If a monster gets killed, it gets placed by the player that killed it somewhere in the MM start zone at the beginning of the next round. If nothing else, there will be a slugfest of big guys going on in the middle of the map. Perhaps players will have to decide between trying to use their monster to help defeat the monster terrorizing their troops or sending their monster over to do the same to the enemy.
Old August 8th, 2013, 11:56 AM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
A question and a comment on that. What happens if you roll 4-19? I assume the unit moves as normal, but you didn't specify.
Correct. If the ability doesn't specify a change, then the ability doesn't change anything - proceed as normal.

Quote:
My comment is simply that if you are concerned about repetitive movements as both players command the map monster, this ability hardly prevents that.
I'm not really trying to prevent that so much as to provide an incentive to think twice about what you are trying to achieve when choosing to use the MM - and to consider that there is a possibility that you will not achieve it if you do choose to use him.

@Serenity - Ummmm..., no.

~Z

My map thread
Old August 8th, 2013, 01:03 PM

Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Here's how I envision a game going currently. Player 1 moves monster one direction, Player 2 moves the monster the opposite direction. Player 1 or 2 wins because of better d20 rolls with monster.

Using a monster to attack means you aren't putting your own units directly in harm's way (as long as you've moved the monster away from your own units and even then the odds are slight). Monsters will likely be used to go directly after heroes and unique squads, because that's where you'll do the most damage. This makes common squads even more valuable than usual. Sure, the monster could kill 4 or 5 common figures, but if you have 15 more it isn't as big a deal, you're still attacking at full strength. Besides, you only have to lose them to the monster if the d20 doesn't like you.
Old August 8th, 2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Here's how I envision a game going currently. Player 1 moves monster one direction, Player 2 moves the monster the opposite direction. Player 1 or 2 wins because of better d20 rolls with monster.

Using a monster to attack means you aren't putting your own units directly in harm's way (as long as you've moved the monster away from your own units and even then the odds are slight). Monsters will likely be used to go directly after heroes and unique squads, because that's where you'll do the most damage. This makes common squads even more valuable than usual. Sure, the monster could kill 4 or 5 common figures, but if you have 15 more it isn't as big a deal, you're still attacking at full strength. Besides, you only have to lose them to the monster if the d20 doesn't like you.
OK. Try it. I, for one, won't be playing that way. If you try to play the MM aggressively instead of tactically. I'll put a couple of units adjacent to the MM and then ignore him to go after your (passive) army with my (agressive) army. Or something else. Who knows? That's the point of the format. Design your army to deal with the possibilities.

~Z

My map thread
Old August 8th, 2013, 02:26 PM

But, I'd disengage the MM and go after your forward units. If he gets some disengagement wounds, what do I care? Even if he dies, I get to place him again. We are going to have small-ish armies, so those losses will hurt more. What happens if a player disengages from the monster?

I didn't say that I'd never play my own army, I would activate them as my (if) my opponent got close and my army was a better option than the monster. I'd expect to be fighting a weakened force though if the other player isn't controlling the monster.
Old August 8th, 2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
But, I'd disengage the MM and go after your forward units. If he gets some disengagement wounds, what do I care? Even if he dies, I get to place him again. We are going to have small-ish armies, so those losses will hurt more. What happens if a player disengages from the monster?
Well, if he dies when you disengage, then you have wasted your OM. And you wont get to place him until the next round. The MM will always swing at disengaging figures (see the OP).

This coming weekend I will play some test games trying different MM strategies and see how they play out.

~Z

My map thread
Old August 9th, 2013, 12:00 AM

personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby!

I'm in!

Now, I just have to figure out what the heck I'm doing for an army....

(And yes, I'm alive. Just been busy)

TL;DR: I put a lot of thought into my posts. Please read them before responding, even if they seem long. I try to make my posts useful and worth the time.

Like NERVs? Try my new app! - My customs
Old August 9th, 2013, 12:18 PM

cptnoodleloaf Woo who?

Myself and zyx will be able to attend.
Old August 9th, 2013, 12:53 PM

Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby!

If we get any more players we might have standing room only, or maps on the floor as the 40k tournament gets priority...

Carney's Trade List
Critic's Carnival - Progressive Rock on DLBN
Old August 10th, 2013, 02:14 AM

Does anybody have a set (one unit of three figures) of the Tomb Skeletons I can borrow for the tournament?

~Z

My map thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events