Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion
AotP General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old August 5th, 2015, 12:25 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation
Re: Magic: the Gathering Strategy Board Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Come on, man... I've become so incredibly tired of seeing people continue to use "HasBORG". It's not even accurate*. I worked there for four years. I still occasionally do work for them. Please, give that tired old nickname a rest. Sheese.
Nooo problem mon. Out of respect for you, my friend @Jim , I will cease and desist. I guess I made my point (perhaps several times too often it seems), so there's no reason to continue beating this Dead Horse that's obviously not going anywhere. I've worked for my share of large bureaucratic corporations and have always been amazed at the inefficiency and ineptitude at top when viewed from the lowest rungs of the ladder. I shouldn't take out all of my frustrations with the evils of our current economic system on one company simple because it is within the scope of our conversation. If you do work for them occasionally, it's too bad that you don't have a stronger influence inside the board room to relay some of OUR (the HeroScape community's) pertinent insights.

Regarding:
Quote:
*=The Borg assimilate anything. Hasbro couldn't buy anyone unless they were willing to sell.
Within my limited experience, I've too often witnessed business people willing to sell their mother and their own soul when offered a sufficient amount of cash. General Motors and Microsoft Corp. are other companies with the infamous reputation of buying-out ("gobbling-up") smaller new companies with 'better products' in order to eliminate the perceived threat of competition.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old August 5th, 2015, 12:49 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
So many of us have now mentioned Battleship Galaxies, that I want to point out that it was not part of a major IP Franchise. Not that I enjoyed getting rid of mine, which had the best promo comic I've ever seen...
Battleship is a pretty major IP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old August 5th, 2015, 02:20 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
So many of us have now mentioned Battleship Galaxies, that I want to point out that it was not part of a major IP Franchise. Not that I enjoyed getting rid of mine, which had the best promo comic I've ever seen...
Battleship is a pretty major IP.
I don't think it is in the way he meant. Battleship is a major IP in that they sell a lot of Battleship games, but it isn't much of a developed IP. No storyline, no significant changes in the last half century. Just a game folks like to play.

~Aldin, still saddened that Battleship Galaxies didn't take off

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old August 5th, 2015, 02:33 PM

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Not just a game. Did you forget the Battleship movie that came out during that time period and the toys?

Quote:
Old August 5th, 2015, 02:59 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Its a minor point, but BG has nothing to do with larger Battleship franchise, except for the name. You might as well call Abbadon by Richard Borg a C&C game, which it is not (although some people do consider it one).

The movie was a big disappointment to me--and I didn't go see it--precisely because it was not set in the Battleship Galaxies universe, but here on 20th Century earth. I thought it would be that nice outer space comic book come to life. But nobody asked me.
Old August 5th, 2015, 03:48 PM

Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Not just a game. Did you forget the Battleship movie that came out during that time period and the toys?
I'm sure people want to forget them. I also doubt people consider that a development of a storyline, especially considering it had little, if anything, to do with battleship galaxies.
Old August 5th, 2015, 04:22 PM

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Seriously? That's like talking about how strong a brand Coca Cola is using New Coke as your example.

~Aldin, who thinks sometimes quozl's more interested in the back-and-forth than in the underlying content

to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old August 5th, 2015, 04:29 PM

I am hurt, Aldin. I didn't say it was successful. But the IP was definitely at an all-time high at the time of Battleship Galaxies' release.

Quote:
Old August 5th, 2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
I am hurt, Aldin. I didn't say it was successful. But the IP was definitely at an all-time high at the time of Battleship Galaxies' release.
Nah - I remember the Christmas when Electronic Talking Battleship came out.

That's my vote for the IP's high water mark.

~Aldin, "you sank my Battleship"

to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old August 5th, 2015, 05:23 PM

I didn't know you were so young! I was 17 when that came out.

Quote:
Old August 5th, 2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I didn't know you were so young! I was 17 when that came out.
Heh - same here. You're about a month older than me. Hard to argue it wasn't huge though. That commercial was everywhere.

~Aldin, who had to go over to Jerry's house to play it on Christmas day

ps I've been a board game geek for a long time

pps Even though, ironically, I don't have much of a presence on boardgamegeek

ppps Did you ever realize that if Iron Man and Silver Surfer discovered they were fighting the same foe, coming together would make them alloys

pppps Does anyone use postscripts anymore?

to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old August 5th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Quote:
Nah - I remember the Christmas when Electronic Talking Battleship came out.

That's my vote for the IP's high water mark.

~Aldin, "you sank my Battleship"
I still have that exact game! I remember when that was the coolest toy in the store.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion