Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online
Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

Notices

Old October 25th, 2022, 06:49 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: Bots on the other hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
I pretty much view it as unneeded at this point. We're a pretty tight knit community at this point and I doubt we've had complete trolls join the site within the last several years.
... and there's nothing happening in the next year that could possibly change that

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old October 25th, 2022, 11:04 AM
Watch out - he's a meme drunk!

Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: DropBox for Site Improvement Ideas

I could go either way on removing neg rep. The reputation calculations are so inflated nowadays that I don't really pay much attention to each user's number of green/yellow markers. I remember when it took a long time to reach 4+ markers, but nowadays a new active user can reach that after like 200 posts.

I don't feel the need to reg rep anyone because this community is pretty tame and self-disciplined already, and I doubt the community's good behavior has anything to do with the neg rep system.
Old October 25th, 2022, 05:01 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I like to think that rep played a small role in the culture here. At the very least it gave an outlet so reactions to mildly problematic behavior didn't blow up into something worse.
Old October 25th, 2022, 07:29 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
I like to think that rep played a small role in the culture here. At the very least it gave an outlet so reactions to mildly problematic behavior didn't blow up into something worse.
I don't think this point should be overlooked.

The rep system is what makes it possible to have an exchange without needing to summon a moderator or admin to mediate a public flareup. 'Scapers is one of the nice places on the internet, and I think its ability to self regulate is part of the reason why.

On the other hand, sometimes there is time for a change. Are we at time for a change? I don't know. But I wouldn't recommend changing lightly.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 25th, 2022, 08:28 PM

Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I find the rep system valuable if only bc of trading. I feel really comfortable trading with active & trusted members of the community even if their rep isn't directly associated with their trade history.

I'm not sure neg rep matters a ton, but flagging posts and letting admins decide what to do could work as an alternative. I want to steer clear of trading with a cantankerous person as well as someone who has a bad trade history. If someone's consistently being an a-hole on the forums I want some way to know that so I can steer clear of them in trades or otherwise. That's my 2c, I think the idea of neg rep has merit but it may have gotten out of hand and it may need a replacement.
Old October 26th, 2022, 06:40 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122 View Post
Is there a way to automatically add the username to all rep posts? If so, that would fix the problem of anonymous flaming with neg rep.
That would just lead to retaliation. I'm pretty sure that 100% of the times I have signed my neg rep messages they have been reflected back to me.
In my humble opinion, I think If you say something to someone you should own it. Whether it's good or bad. Not having to own what you say or do generally leads to people acting poorly. I commend you for owning what you said. I'm glad the admins are considering getting rid of this feature. If you can't be an adult and tell someone what you think in an appropriate way, does it really need to be said? Sometimes the context of a statement is reflected by the source of the statement.
I'll chime in and cast my vote to remove the negative rep system. At least in it's current form. My recent experience with it shows me that not only is negative rep left anonymously, but the reason for the neg rep, the thread link, can also be erased. How is leaving someone bad rep for an unknown reason helpful? Y'all say it's there to stop bad behavior but I say it actually promotes bad behavior. Just because someone disagrees with someone's post doesn't necessarily mean that there was bad behavior involved, or that neg rep is deserved. This system leaves the door open to pettiness, retaliation and bullying. I do not agree with the "possible retaliation" argument against leaving the name of the negative rep giver. Yeah sure, there likely would be retaliation, but as it stands, it's all one sided. Someone can just be an asshole if they want, with no repercussions, no accountability. How is that helpful in any way?

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old October 26th, 2022, 07:48 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

" That's just the way it is
Some things will never change
That's just the way it is
But don't you believe them"

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old October 26th, 2022, 07:53 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox View Post
I find the rep system valuable if only bc of trading. I feel really comfortable trading with active & trusted members of the community even if their rep isn't directly associated with their trade history.

I'm not sure neg rep matters a ton, but flagging posts and letting admins decide what to do could work as an alternative. I want to steer clear of trading with a cantankerous person as well as someone who has a bad trade history. If someone's consistently being an a-hole on the forums I want some way to know that so I can steer clear of them in trades or otherwise. That's my 2c, I think the idea of neg rep has merit but it may have gotten out of hand and it may need a replacement.
Griffin and Onacara both had extremely high rep when they got bans for not delivering on their ends of sales on here.

Wondering if @NecroBlade has thoughts on neg rep.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old October 26th, 2022, 10:49 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

As a guy with mod authority in the trading subforum, I’ll agree with Bats that rep is not a good indicator of trade trustworthiness. That subforum has its own guidelines and best practice is just to follow them.

I do remain concerned that modification of the rep system will lead to needless kerfuffles that admins and mods will eventually have to put down. What is *supposed* to happen now is that people are supposed to leave those docks anonymously, precisely to avoid the personal battles that would ensue if they were signed. The recipient is *supposed* to consider them privately and either ignore them or not, within the recipient’s discretion. And then move on.

It seems like a decent system to me. And I’ve gotten my share of docks. It really only breaks down when the recipients make them into a public ordeal.

My 2 cents.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 26th, 2022, 11:13 AM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

My concern is that I’ve seen neg rep used for bullying. When someone has the option to anonymously send a negative message on the internet, it happens. People don’t have the same self restraint online that they do in person. Thankfully the person this affected reached out to the Admins and it was resolved, but it makes me wonder how often this happens that isn’t brought up. Because as you mention, the culture here (enforced by the mods, no less) is to simply ignore it.
Old October 26th, 2022, 11:41 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I do remain concerned that modification of the rep system will lead to needless kerfuffles that admins and mods will eventually have to put down. What is *supposed* to happen now is that people are supposed to leave those docks anonymously, precisely to avoid the personal battles that would ensue if they were signed. The recipient is *supposed* to consider them privately and either ignore them or not, within the recipient’s discretion. And then move on.

It seems like a decent system to me. And I’ve gotten my share of docks. It really only breaks down when the recipients make them into a public ordeal.
Even though I've always signed the neg-reps I've given out because leaving them anonymously has always felt kinda gross and cowardly to me, I agree with Dad Scaper here.
Old October 26th, 2022, 11:47 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I think an up/down vote system with no text box for hateful comments would do what y'all like from the rep system without coming off as site-sanctioned cyber bullying in other instances.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online