Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Notices

Old May 13th, 2020, 04:57 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: SuperHeroScape™: Coming Soon - 5/17/20?

Cool. No pressure.
Old May 17th, 2020, 04:16 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Re: SuperHeroScape™: Coming Soon - 5/17/20?

One year later... they're back! I've spent most of that time re-working existing cards, and a little bit finishing new ones. Some of the changes were due to helpful feedback in this thread (thanks everyone who responded!) and some were a result of looking at the larger SuperHeroScape™ picture. We'll begin just as I did last time, with the first alphabetical card and his nemesis.

Not much changed here compared to the previous version. +1 Attack and +50 points. The Attack itself isn't worth nearly that many points, but I didn't like having more Attack than the official Abomination and lower points. So he costs 10 points more than that. Which isn't unreasonable if you consider Stomping after Leaping a strict upgrade. I have also re-ordered powers on cards so that they occur in order from top to bottom over the course of a turn.

Hulk underwent a much larger change. -1 Move and -1 Defense, for starters, re-aligning him with the official stats. Lower move might not seem like much when he can Leap, but if you're his opponent you'd much rather have him Leaping at -3 Attack than running up to you at full strength. Note he also lost Stomp, so on the one hand he can get one bigger attack again after Leaping, but on the other he can no longer handle crowds so well. Partly that was a theme thing and partly a powers thing. Hulk is just about the strongest figure one-on-one, you just point Hulk at one target you want to delete and Smash until it's gone. Equally important, it made room for Gamma Healing. That power was already on every single other type of Hulk (none of which will be appearing in the first 50), so I really didn't like not having it here. Technically yes, there's still room on the card for Stomp, but my Hulk is the giant beat stick. Take someone else if you want finesse. If I did the math right, Hulk Heals an average of 1.7 wounds per turn. Aren't you glad he lost a Defense? And went up 30 points despite losing multi-attack capability? It can be a real pain when he heals 3+ wounds at once, but on the flip side sometimes he whiffs a crucial Healing turn completely and dies, and it turns out you didn't even get his points back out of him.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old May 17th, 2020, 04:37 PM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!
Re: SuperHeroScape™: Abomination and Hulk 5/17/20!

This again? Well at least I don't feel like I have to catch up on the last few I missed, from the last round.

I'm a little leery of powers with the same name that do different things - I think you're risking Abomination misplay doing that. (I'm assuming that's more likely than Hulk misplay given that Hulk, being the Hulk, is apt to get more tabletime. Also because he obviously couldn't have Abomination's version of Super Leap, but Abomination could have Hulk's)

Interesting to see Hulk refocused as a pure 1v1 monster. I do feel like some manner of area-of-effect attack is iconic for him, given how often he gets mobbed by military dudes, but it's hard to argue with healing as an alternative choice.

Dig the pared-down wording on Super Leap.
Old May 17th, 2020, 05:23 PM

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
This again? Well at least I don't feel like I have to catch up on the last few I missed, from the last round.

I'm a little leery of powers with the same name that do different things - I think you're risking Abomination misplay doing that. (I'm assuming that's more likely than Hulk misplay given that Hulk, being the Hulk, is apt to get more tabletime. Also because he obviously couldn't have Abomination's version of Super Leap, but Abomination could have Hulk's)
Fair, and something I've thought about. It's not the only power that ends up that way (though I don't think we'll see examples of it in the first 50). But you just gotta think of Super Leap as [leaping rules] plus [restriction].

Quote:
Interesting to see Hulk refocused as a pure 1v1 monster. I do feel like some manner of area-of-effect attack is iconic for him, given how often he gets mobbed by military dudes, but it's hard to argue with healing as an alternative choice.
Can't disagree there, either, but once I knew the Healing route was mandatory for him, it felt better to have a clear playstyle and also give him some weakness. And anyway, who cares about all those puny humans when you have 6D, 8L and Healing, right? Just shrug it off.

Quote:
Dig the pared-down wording on Super Leap.
Thanks. It's been a huge help in creating cards without wording that requires a magnifying glass. Or, more importantly, cards that feel like they deliver fully on theme without getting lost in the weeds of stuff you can probably remember after reading it once.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old May 17th, 2020, 05:37 PM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Nice. Cool to see this back.
Old May 17th, 2020, 06:43 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Seems like you could increase the font size on those.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old May 18th, 2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Thanks, I'll look into it. There are, unfortunately, some other cards that have slightly smaller font out of necessity.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old May 18th, 2020, 08:32 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Thanks, I'll look into it. There are, unfortunately, some other cards that have slightly smaller font out of necessity.
Heh. Know how that goes.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old May 24th, 2020, 08:08 PM

Next up: Captain America!

Compared to the previous, +1 Move*, -1 Defense. The Defense drop balances out the rework of Vibranium Shield Defense. Instead of the boring and re-used auto-shield, Cap is mostly impervious to ranged normal attacks and can stand and take even the biggest of other attacks. I like this feeling of "tanky" defense better, while also being "nimble": he has to roll a shield to make it happen, but that one shield does a lot of blocking. Avengers Assemble! also shrank to 3 spaces instead of 5. 5 spaces just covers a lot of ground, and the change is somewhat offset by his increased Move, allowing him to get to better positions and faster. That said, with slightly lower stats and reduced range for AA!, he also came down 30 points. Oh, and you may notice updated art on many cards. Cap is the first in the Master Set. Most cards also had color tweaks, like Cap's better red and blue, or Hulk's purple better matching his pants.

And his nemesis, Red Skull:

The first change is that Cosmic Cube became a glyph! See below. There are several differences. First, CC can now hurt the wielder: its vast powers are beyond most to control. Second, it's limited to 3 spaces instead of 4, in part to add to the risk. Third, it requires a d20 roll to wound, which is slightly easier (55% to a skull's 50) and can be modified, though that's now separate from the healing roll. Fourth, healing is dependent upon wounding (about 30% to remove that first wound, then), and even wounding someone else so you don't end up in a loop of hurting and healing yourself until a roll fails. Fifth, it's not limited to one success per turn, though there is a cap if it manages to completely heal the user. Most of the time, CC deals 1 damage and maybe heals 1. Sometimes it does more than that. Once it even hurt the wielder then did absolutely nothing the rest of the game despite multiple changes of hands. Which reminds me: figures starting the game with glyphs requires an additional rule (which I'll add to the OP). A figure that starts the game with a glyph cannot voluntarily drop that glyph. This prevents Red Skull from, say, simply handing CC over to Hulk. Other than that, the only change is Red Skull went up 10 points, thanks to CC's higher potential. Of course, it can always fall into the wrong (your opponent's) hands...

Spoiler Alert!

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old May 25th, 2020, 12:12 AM

Re: SuperHeroScape™: Cap. America, Red Skull, Cosmic Cube -

Nice. I like the Cube.
Old May 31st, 2020, 08:02 PM

Re: SuperHeroScape™: Cap. America, Red Skull, Cosmic Cube -

Doctor Doom:

Only two gameplay changes here. Mind Exchange dropped by 1, nothing much to say about that other than making sure it actually happens from time to time. Also added Magical Defense (thanks, C3G). I don't think there ended up being any other characters in the first 50 with that power, but I like minor (anti-)synergies like that. Overall, I try to keep synergy in SuperHeroScape™ relatively light, letting mix-n-match armies shine by combinations of units and powers instead of a lot of overt bonding type stuff. Anyway, his points went up 50 for the changes. Doom's a very good all-around-er, which makes him one of the most fun to play.

Iron Man:

Not a ton going on here, either. Reverted his special attack to normal Double Attack. Half because now he does work better with Cap (very well, in fact). And also because while I wanted to include knockback in Repulsor Blasts, it was a lot simpler to just let his natural Super Strength do that. No knocking back non-adjacent figures, but the simplicity and synergy trumps that, at least for me. 20 point increase here, too, since with Cap and height that's 2 ranged attacks of 7. And that's a lot of damage*. Still has the 4 Life weakness, though, which can be rough against things like the Cosmic Cube and some powers. Wording and image (color and the Iron Man picture) also updated on both.

Spoiler Alert!

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old May 31st, 2020, 09:01 PM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: SuperHeroScape™: Doctor Doom & Iron Man 5/31

I too love the mix and match combos with subtle synergies rather than overt bonding. With a finite number of cards in your 'verse, you probably don't want to limit any characters by making them have obvious partners that need to be drafted with them. In all my years on here I've learned to appreciate getting a slight advantage for matching thematic characters while not making it necessary to do so.

Keep up the good work.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations