Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old July 26th, 2018, 02:46 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfire View Post
Playtime has been limited, however, I have tried a number of games out of late.

I tried the Harry Potter deckbuilding game from USAopoly and it seemed like it had potential, but we had to stop at Year 2 because it had the wrong cards in the deck.

I've finished painting and have played a couple games of Star Wars Legion. It's fun and I look forward to seeing the gameplay evolve as new unit types are released.

Last week, my A Song of Ice and Fire miniatures showed up and they are pretty, but I haven't had a chance to play or start painting as of yet.

However, I did just finish painting my Blood Red Skies stuff and have enjoyed playing that one.

Very cool Hellfire!

I have a lot of Star Wars Legion stuff (2 core, AT-ST, 2 airspeeders, 1 Fleet Troopers squad, 1 Snowtroopers squad, Leia and Veers. Have all the other upcoming releaseson preorder). I have most of it painted, and am in the process of painting the 2 airspeeders now. Fun game for sure.

I wasn't sure about the tray movement for A Song of Fire and Ice, so I didn't order that.

Blood Red Skies seems cool. Is it different enough from Wings of Glory and X-Wing?

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old July 26th, 2018, 03:58 PM
Promotable Material

Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post

Very cool Hellfire!

I have a lot of Star Wars Legion stuff (2 core, AT-ST, 2 airspeeders, 1 Fleet Troopers squad, 1 Snowtroopers squad, Leia and Veers. Have all the other upcoming releaseson preorder). I have most of it painted, and am in the process of painting the 2 airspeeders now. Fun game for sure.

I wasn't sure about the tray movement for A Song of Fire and Ice, so I didn't order that.

Blood Red Skies seems cool. Is it different enough from Wings of Glory and X-Wing?
I'm in the same boat with Legion ... enjoyed myself enough that I immediately preordered everything else thru my FLGS. I have everything painted, but I haven't decided whether I want to do any base work yet. So much to do and so little time.

I'm also a little iffy on the ASoIaF ruleset but the minis are damn pretty for minis I don't have to assemble. Also, at the very least I'll use the minis with my custom Fantasy Scapes System that my group seems to really enjoy alongside Heroic Encounters.

My biggest perceived beef with the ASoIaF ruleset is the interruption mechanics ... I don't like being interrupted during my turn to find out I just killed half my unit because I chose to move left instead of right and thereby triggered some killer card combination in the opponent's hand like a game of Hearthstone. However, I haven't played for myself yet as I just received my stuff ... maybe I'll play it and find it extremely enjoyable--we'll see.

I like Blood Red Skies so far in limited play. I haven't played WoG (I've heard great things about it tho), but it feels and plays very different than X-Wing. Their similarities end at dogfighting on the tabletop. The advantage/disadvantage system built into the plane standees is pretty cool. My greatest gripe so far is with the movement templates (I'm working on customizing my own). I also think their release order of different eras of planes and universal ruleset to be a little weird (having played Flames of War and Bolt Action), but I got over it with X-Wing so I'll probably be fine with BRS.
Old July 26th, 2018, 09:04 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfire View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post

Very cool Hellfire!

I'm in the same boat with Legion ... enjoyed myself enough that I immediately preordered everything else thru my FLGS. I have everything painted, but I haven't decided whether I want to do any base work yet. So much to do and so little time.

I'm also a little iffy on the ASoIaF ruleset but the minis are damn pretty for minis I don't have to assemble. Also, at the very least I'll use the minis with my custom Fantasy Scapes System that my group seems to really enjoy alongside Heroic Encounters.

My biggest perceived beef with the ASoIaF ruleset is the interruption mechanics ... I don't like being interrupted during my turn to find out I just killed half my unit because I chose to move left instead of right and thereby triggered some killer card combination in the opponent's hand like a game of Hearthstone. However, I haven't played for myself yet as I just received my stuff ... maybe I'll play it and find it extremely enjoyable--we'll see.

I like Blood Red Skies so far in limited play. I haven't played WoG (I've heard great things about it tho), but it feels and plays very different than X-Wing. Their similarities end at dogfighting on the tabletop. The advantage/disadvantage system built into the plane standees is pretty cool. My greatest gripe so far is with the movement templates (I'm working on customizing my own). I also think their release order of different eras of planes and universal ruleset to be a little weird (having played Flames of War and Bolt Action), but I got over it with X-Wing so I'll probably be fine with BRS.
Thanks for the info regarding Blood Red Skies. I'll have to keep that in mind, though my fear is that it won't get played with my group. Plenty of people have X-Wing, Armada and Sails of Glory, and none have gotten played in a while.

My hangup with ASoIaF, as mentioned before is the gianormous trays for the units. I've played historical games in the past in 15mm scale, and have Halo Ground Command that is around 15mm also, and they have a handful of figures on a base. But those bases are small and when moving the whole unit of several bases, even though it takes longer than with one giant base, it makes it better for moving over and around 3D terrain. Perhaps ASoIaF isn't intended to be played with that much 3D terrain, so it may not be an issue with regards to elements to move over/around/through. The biggest attraction seems to be the IP and the characters from it and recreating those cool battles. Hopefully someone I know will get it and I can give it a try, I just can't take on another huge army of minis to paint.

I would have all my Legion stuff painted now as well, but I've been taking breaks here and there to paint some Infinity models, doing a little Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars modding for Gaslands and building a lot of terrain buildings from Impudent Mortal and Warsenal. I tend to spread myself thin the more I have gotten into hobbying, instead of just playing ready to go games.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old July 27th, 2018, 07:09 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

I have four recently acquired games on my table, in different stages of play or preparation; the first two are new designs:

1. Big Trouble In Little China played 8 times and currently being tweaked by various bgg FAQ. I have yet to play Expansion 1 The Legacy of Lo Pan Campaign, which I received with my preorder Gold Box, which is not yet available in retail.

2. Quartermaster General Prelude (Expansion 3) was just received. May play it tomorrow as a second game after a play of QMG 1914.

3. Alien Frontiers is now being solitaired to get the rules down.

4. Silent Death: The New Millennium for which I am reading the massive rules book. After a huge backstory, I'm now up the Page 48, the actual game rules!
Old July 27th, 2018, 09:17 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
2. Quartermaster General Prelude (Expansion 3) was just received. May play it tomorrow as a second game after a play of QMG 1914.

[...]

4. Silent Death: The New Millennium for which I am reading the massive rules book. After a huge backstory, I'm now up the Page 48, the actual game rules!
Geeze Chas, this is the What Board Game Are You Currently Playing? forum, not the What Board Game Are You Currently Looking At or Reading the Rules For? forum.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old July 28th, 2018, 12:36 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Played in a (very) small Shadespire tournament yesterday at a new Warhammer store here in my town. For anyone who hasn’t tried this game, I highly recommend it. It’s an excellent hybrid of a miniature, card, and board game, so much so that I would almost describe it as a card game with minis.

I can’t remember how much this has been discussed in this thread, so to elaborate, each player has a small warband of 3-7 figures and two decks of cards that they have built ahead of time. One deck is made up of Objective cards, and the other is made up of upgrades (which add movement, damage, special attacks, etc.) and ploys (which are basically one time buffs or actions). You move your figures around a hex-based board. The game is played over three rounds, and the winner is the player with the most points. You get points for killing enemy units, but a lot of points are made through completing objectives. You get to move minis and roll dice, but a lot of the fun comes from customizing your deck based on the way you want to play.

Shadespire does include unpainted miniatures so you have the option to paint them, but I’ve played lots of games with unpainted minis. I have to say this is probably my favorite minis-style game right now. Each game plays in 30-45 mins, is super fast to set up, and has a lot of tactical challenges. It does a great job of scratching that Heroscape itch but adds some fun deck construction and has a fraction of the set-up time.
Old July 29th, 2018, 03:06 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Silent Death: The New Millennium[/B] for which I am reading the massive rules book. After a huge backstory, I'm now up the Page 48, the actual game rules!
Reminds me a lot of Starfleet Battles. Second game for my Hosting in September?
Old August 4th, 2018, 12:52 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

One other new game I'm interested in is Keyforge.
The new business model seems like a strange cross between a CCG like Magic, or the LCG-style of Netrunner and Summoner Wars.

Buy a unique deck for $10 USD, no deckbuilding, just play with it, which leans it a bit nearer to Summoner Wars for me. That is, it is rather like Summoner Wars in that you can grab any pre-built deck and do well against anyone else so long as you know the game.
Each deck is pseudo-randomly generated, but apparently in such a way that the algorithm 'looks' for combos, so that if you every have a card that says something like 'Gain X for each human creature you control' you will have some human creatures. Likewise, it may refer to a specific card, and the deck will be guaranteed to have that specific card, making it quite different from grabbing, say, a handful of booster packs and throwing them together and calling it a deck.

The barrier of entry seems low enough that I might just show up to an FLGS that runs an organized play event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old August 5th, 2018, 01:56 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Each deck is supposedly unique, according to the FFG speaker at their In Flight briefing!
Old August 5th, 2018, 03:31 PM

shaolin knows what's in an order marker shaolin knows what's in an order marker shaolin knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
I'm looking for a game recommendation. My son is 5 years old and really into games but not quite into reading yet. I'm not looking to force the reading thing so I'm looking for games that can be fun for both of us without having to read too much stuff to him while we're playing.

This is what we're playing right now:
• Uno (I hate this game)
• Othello
• Pente
• King of Tokyo (I explain the power cards when they come up)
• Dungeon! (I have gotten really bored of this one)
• Straw
• Robot Turtles
• LEGO Heroica

I'm getting ready to try
• Small world
• Splendor
• Star Realms (minus any cards that are finicky)
• Catan
• Citadels (minus the purple cards)
• and Carcassonne if I can talk him into it (I don't think the box looks exciting enough or something? He hasn't wanted to play so far)

Anyway, any suggestions of games I haven't mentioned, or commentary on the ones I have?
I have 2 boys, now 7 and 4. When my oldest was 5 we played Catan Jr a lot. He called it “the pirate game” and just dug the ghost captain at first, but it only took a few games and he was picking what he wanted to try to build and figuring out trades to get what he needed all by himself. Very subtle intro to strategy, I highly recommended getting Catan Jr before jumping into Catan.
Old August 5th, 2018, 03:45 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Picked up Carcassonne recently after playing it at a friend's gathering since both my wife and I enjoyed it. Played it with our 10 year old and all had fun and understood it.

We wallflower 7 wonders but since none of the three of us understood the strategy, I'm not sure if we liked it or not. My son won because he amassed a lot of the blue cards.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old August 6th, 2018, 08:17 AM

LITTLE GENCON IN BROOKLYN

This weekend Taeblewalker and I had our own miniconvention here, playing three games each day! We played both brand new stuff and some classic old designs! We did board games, but also some Role Playing and even miniatures!

SATURDAY AUGUST 4, 2018

GAME ONE: BATTLE OF KARLSDORF (Fantasy Medieval Miniatures)

This was only the second time I played with the Fantasy Medieval section of my 54mm miniatures collection (of over 30,000 painted plastic figures), and the first time in 8 years. Many toy soldiers were on the table for the very first time, with over 100 little men per side:

Good Guys
Mounted Army Commander: Sir Edward of Ellis Den
Grognard The Green Wizard
Harold the Friendly Giant
Human Cavalry
Elf Infantry (Bow)
Dwarven Infantry
Northern Men Infantry
Amazon Infantry (Bow)

Evil Guys
Army Commander/Wizard Cashek the Undying
Cedrik the Cyclops
Orc Warg Rider Cavalry
Orc Infantry
Ogre Infantry
Skeleton Infantry
Flying Demon Infantry

All infantry 25 figures, cavalry 12.
Terrain:* One low central hill ("The Karlsdorf").
Wizards may choose 5 spells of the 10 spell Spell Book.

The Good Guys won this massive action, after collapsing my Left Flank and taking the central hill, although I won on the Right. Those Good Guys are just...Evil!

GAME TWO: MARVEL SUPERHERO ROLE PLAYING

Using the old FRP from the 1980s, he Game Mastered a team scenario where I played Captain America, The Thing, Spiderman and Captain Marvel vs Doctor Octopus (and his giant robot and nefarious stationary machines), The Radioactive Man, The Beetle, The Fixer, and The Scorpion. Beginning with Aunt May getting mugged and an enforcer harassing a hot dog man, both in the park in NYC, we foiled these criminals, stopped the super criminals in a heist (although Captain American spent some time in the hospital), and eventually Doc Ock and his devices elsewhere. My first time doing this was lots of fun, and the heroes ended up with very high Karma (Experience) Points.

GAME THREE: TALES OF THE ARABIAN KNIGHTS (Z-MAN GAMES, 3RD EDITION)

My pal had just gotten this game the day before, and when he brought it out it was still in its shirnk wrap! I noted that I'd heard of this publisher's games for years but never played one, and he mentioned that he'd met the nice guy who used to own the company at a convention. This first play was a big hit with both of us. Its a very colorful story telling game where your hero (He took Aladdin and I took Ali Baba) travels in the mythical world of fantastic Moslem medieval adventure in Europe, Africa, Arabia, India, and along the Silk Road to China. It uses a huge Book of Stories with thousands of entries and a matrix of NPCs including all kinds of colorful people, supernatural beings, and monsters. Its very entertaining. We both had some bad encounters and some good ones,eventually accumulating useful skills, status cards, and far flung cities to explore. We had a chance to learn a great design, and I pulled out a win. But we both enjoyed it immensely.

SUNDAY AUGUST 5, 2018

GAME FOUR: ALIEN FRONTIERS (GAME SALUTE, 3RD EDITION)

We started our second day with this Euro Classic, a 1950s Sci Fi theme about racing to colonize an unknown planet, which I had recently purchased at Islandscape 2018, but never played. I'd solitaired it a day before to learn the rules, and he'd played it once long ago. I pulled off a slick combo move at the start, and was ahead most of the time, but my opponent managed to get more points than I had toward the end, when it counts. Luckily I managed one more sneaky move for the win. This is a popular game where the rules and components are both nice and very elegant, producing a very simple yet fun concept. The eight planetary areas are named after old science fiction authors I am familiar with. Its worker placement with a bit of area control and even some Take That!

GAME FIVE: KING OF THE TABLE TOP (FANTASY GAMES UNLIMITED, 1980S)

My pal had brought along this old school game we'd played once before, with his hand mounted charming paper counters on posterboard. I used to know the head of this small publishing company, and the art was simple yet cute line drawings, reminiscent of that of Kings and Things, with a huge diversity of Fantasy characters, terrain, and magic items. It has just two player boards, and cups to draw from. I started out with three identical Desert terrain tiles, which is very bad, as it only supports that type of creature for your army. My opponent went on to cream me both in economic development and in two militarty attacks, taking terrain from me. Finally he defeating the only attack I could make against his superior force. But its a fun and nostalgic little game! Its amazing what gamers can pull out from their collections.

GAME SIX: TALES OF THE ARABIAN KNIGHTS
(STILL Z- MAN GAMES, 3RD EDITION)

We had enjoyed this design so much we played it again! This time our fortunes were much more disparate. I took Ali Baba again and he choose Scheherazade, the story teller in the framing tale of 1001 Arabian Knights (I like the version by the very famous 19th Century British Sufi Explorer Sir Richard Francis Burton, the only Westerner ever allowed inside the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem). Even though its theoretically a competitive game, my pal helped me out immensely along the way, and I vowed to help him out also, but we never manged to cross paths, as I could have helped him only by being in the same space. Becoming a Vizier, I had to keep returning to my Origin City for every city I visited. He allowed me to get into Timbuktu where he could have messed me up when I was only once space from reaching it, but chose the better nature of his character to allow me to get there. I was only one away from returning to my city on the southern tip of India when I was whisked away across the board to Stonehenge to encounter Druids! Later I returned on the back of a giant eagle. But we were so busy zipping all across the board several times that we never could get together.

My poor buddy ended up both sex changed into a man (and therefore ineligble to win the game until he was transformed back) and then was changed into an ape! Along the way he was shipwrecked and had other disasters which left him with negative Status Cards that hobbled his game play. I on the other hand became Sultan of a city at the tip of southern India! I was Respected (Status Card) and immensely wealthy. I went on to win the game and put him out of his misery! Such are the Ways of Fate at the Will of Allah! The moving finger writes and move on, and no one can change a single line...until next game, which he'll try again in a few days back home.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games