Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old November 16th, 2014, 05:00 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Club day yesterday.

Played Lost Cities while waiting for others to arrive. Got my butt handed to me there. But it's a cool game, shame it's only a 2-player game.

Then we played a 5-player game of Libertalia. This is a cool game lots of fun with a bit of back-stab-ery .

While I got some lunch the others played my Boss Monster.

Next was Pathfinder an RPG in a card-game. As such you really need a group that are in for the RPG side of it. It wasn't enough to hold everyone's complete attention when it wasn't their turn, especially when are 6 playing like we had. I didn't dislike it. It kind of reminded me of a card version of A Touch of Evil, which I would prefer to play over this.

We finished the day with Cosmic Encounter. Love this game! It's at the top of my want list now. I came second but was totally ganged-up upon the whole game & it was still fun.

It was a hot day yesterday & the room wasn't air-conditioned so was feeling a little sticky with just the fans going. But it was still a good day.
Old November 16th, 2014, 05:39 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Sounds fun @A3n .

I have Libertalia and absolutely love it. I don't have, but have played Cosmic Encounters a few times and also really enjoy that as well.

Pathfinder Adventure Card game is okay. I play it solo with 3 characters, so there's no downtime between player turns. Or if there is, I can give him a swift kick in the arse

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old November 16th, 2014, 11:41 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Here is a pic of a four player game of Star Trek: Fleet Captains that we played in Brooklyn. We used a fan-made scenario found on Boardgamegeek. The scenario involved setting up a starbase as DS9 and having a wormhole lead to the gamma quadrant.

Here is a three player game we played right after (one player had to go home).

I was lucky enough to win both games.

Old November 17th, 2014, 01:54 AM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Bought my 8th Z-95 Headhunter for X-Wing because I have an addiction and taught one of the employees at a FLGS how to play X-Wing. I gave him Howlrunner's TIE Fighter, an Interceptor, and filled out the rest of his list with a tie swarm. I took an e wing pilot that allows you to convert one hit to a crit per attack on any defending ship within range and arc of the e wing, and 5 z-95 headhunters.

Don't give new players swarms unless they display a clear want to play one. If you ask them if they have any particular faction or Star Wars character/ship in mind, and they are ambivalent to what they're given, give them a build with a moderate amount of ships. This game takes forever to setup and unbox, especially when one person is doing it for two people, and swarms take forever to fly. So the games end up taking forever because you have to take extra time to teach and for the new player to make decisions. And once the bump party starts it then takes forever to resolve movement.

Ask a new player if they have any thing they want to fly or any character they want to use. If they don't care, give them a rebel build with a variety of ships. If they want to play imperials, give them an expensive flashy unit, Darth vader's advanced for theme, and a handful of ties. A full on swarm takes a while to play and doesn't give you a variety of ships.
Overall though he liked the game. He said he doesn't have the money to get into it, but I have a ton of ships he could use and all the xwing people I've come across are nice and would be willing to let him borrow some ships for a tourney. Something about this game attracts only good people.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep

Last edited by ParaGoomba Slayer; November 17th, 2014 at 02:11 AM.
Old November 17th, 2014, 05:53 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Thanks for taking and posting the photos of those Star Trek Fleet Captains games, Taeblewalker! All four factions were in the first game (Federation/Upper Left, Klingons/Lower Left, Dominion/Upper Right, and Romulans/Lower Right, with Deep Space Nine in the center (made by I]Micromachines[/I] and lent by participating pal Tag, who's going to get me one) in the center. Click the photo to enlarge it and see the ships better!

There was a tiny second board where the wormhole lead representing the Gamma Quadrant, and each player had to get some points there to win. The board configuration is an expansion of the Four Player Team set up from the original game (before the other two factions came out).

Next up this week, our first STFC Team Game, with all four factions in play again! We had so much fun, although it was a very long game, that we immediately set a date for another...

I consider this the best Star Trek game out there. See my recent review on boardgamegeek and see the seperate thread here.
Old November 17th, 2014, 08:49 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Sounds like fun @chas .

Last week work lunch games:
LotR LCG with 3 players (haven't played in 2 years, forgot how fun it was)
PACG Skull & Shackles
Myth

Home games:
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Black Fleet
Star Realms x10+
Othello
Krosmaster: Arena
The Magic Labyrinth
X-Wing x2
Xia
Old November 17th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Yeah, @A3n and @Hahma I usually play Pathfinder Adventure Card Game with one, three, or four players. I think I'd find it a bit tedious if I went up to six as well. But that's true for most games.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old November 17th, 2014, 10:07 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

If you remember my Great Supers Card Hunt a couple of years ago, that resulted in my Chas Quickscan Masters Lists and my entire collection of over 600 superhero and villain cards, you won't be surprised that I am now conducting The Great Board Game Hunt! This includes scanning the entire boardgamegeek database page by page. The good news is, I've done over 230 pages already. The bad news is, there are 736 pages total.

This has resulted in reviving many great memories in over 50 years of gaming, a new complete collection of my own now posted on bgg (Owned and Previously Owned), and interesting discoveries along the way. Besides learning a lot about the board gaming hobby, and sending interesting single item links off to friends who I think may enjoy them (including antique designs from 1830-1950), I've made a number of discoveries that will affect my own future in board gaming.

The most important so far: Anyone ever play or own MARE NOSTRUM? Can you tell me what you thought? This for me has always been The One Which Got Away. Its a multiplayer with all of the great Ancient World Empires competing anachronistically against each other (Rome, Greece, Egypt, Carthage, and Babylon) in land and sea fighting, economics, trading resource cards, using special national leaders and advantages, etc. I played it many years ago once, lost terribly, and fell in love with its many interesting aspects and beautiful graphics. Its long been out of print, available only at ridiculous prices, and became my 'Great White Whale,' which I want to meet again. it has many discussion pages on bgg, with both champions and detractors. it was published in either 2001 or 2003.

Now today I've just discovered that it is about to be reprinted and updated by another European publisher, having just missed its intended launch date at Essen 2014. Its new version is/will be updated by none other than Bruno Cathala. I'm looking forward to it! Its been called "Civilization Light." But its distribution here in the US has always been irregular. It had one expansion, 'Mythology,' which was really required to fix some issues (and introduced the sixth player: Atlantis). I expect the Second Edition will do this without requiring an expansion, although apparently some different expansions are planned, as well as a two player version, and more according to designers' reveals on bgg. And I assume it will be easier to obtain this time around, since it will be done in a good six languages.

Again, any info will be very appreciated.

Last edited by chas; November 17th, 2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old November 17th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
This includes scanning the entire boardgamegeek database page by page. The good news is, I've done over 230 pages already. The bad news is, there are 736 pages total.
Errr, which database are you looking at exactly? Because the entire BGG database is much much MUCH larger than 736 pages, seeing as there are 73,757 games in the database as of *looks at clock* right now.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old November 17th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

. . . one of which is Cardcaptors: Challenge of the Clows Spirit Game. Something for everyone, over at BGG.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old November 17th, 2014, 11:19 AM

Jim,

What I'm scanning through is the "Browse Boardgames" summary list, that only displays each board game by ranking (if any) with its name and year of publication (if known). Its just an extended table of contents; but I've just discovered it, so I'm very excited that the information is presented to us this way!

Of course, the entire database for each individual entry is many, many more pages long. But you couldn't scan through all those games that way. And yes, while I was scanning it grew from 735 to 736 pages, containing over 17,000 games. I wish I had time to look at them all, but I just pick interesting looking ones, or those I or someone I knew owned and let me play as I go along. Still, its quite an effort (its good to be retired).
Old November 17th, 2014, 12:33 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post

The most important so far: Anyone ever play or own MARE NOSTRUM? Can you tell me what you thought? This for me has always been The One Which Got Away. Its a multiplayer with all of the great Ancient World Empires competing anachronistically against each other (Rome, Greece, Egypt, Carthage, and Babylon) in land and sea fighting, economics, trading resource cards, using special national leaders and advantages, etc. I played it many years ago once, lost terribly, and fell in love with its many interesting aspects and beautiful graphics. Its long been out of print, available only at ridiculous prices, and became my 'Great White Whale,' which I want to meet again. it has many discussion pages on bgg, with both champions and detractors. it was published in either 2001 or 2003.

Now today I've just discovered that it is about to be reprinted and updated by another European publisher, having just missed its intended launch date at Essen 2014. Its new version is/will be updated by none other than Bruno Cathala. I'm looking forward to it! Its been called "Civilization Light." But its distribution here in the US has always been irregular. It had one expansion, 'Mythology,' which was really required to fix some issues (and introduced the sixth player: Atlantis). I expect the Second Edition will do this without requiring an expansion, although apparently some different expansions are planned, as well as a two player version, and more according to designers' reveals on bgg. And I assume it will be easier to obtain this time around, since it will be done in a good six languages.

Again, any info will be very appreciated.
@chas , I played Mare Nastrum a couple times, but it was a probably 2 1/2 years since the last time I played. The owner of the game did have the Mythology expansion for both of my plays. I believe we played 5 players?

Anyway, without remembering too much detail, as that was hundreds of games ago, I can only tell you that I did enjoy it both times.

I didn't play enough to know of any issues with the game that a lot more plays could show.

Sorry I can't be more help than that.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon

Last edited by Hahma; November 17th, 2014 at 05:25 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games