Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old January 15th, 2008, 01:53 PM

Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker
This figure is similar to Grimnak. The main differences in power are that Sudema has range and has to roll even for squad figures. However, Grimnak gets more defense, more lives, boosts attack and defense of adjacent Orc Warriors and bonds with them. Again, he does not have to roll to Chomp. Sudema at 140 seems a little overpriced when compared to Grimnak at 120. Grimnak has "sort of" a double attack, while Sudema can only use her power instead of attacking. The only edge Sudema adds is the range. Grimnak has a higher probability of killing a hero as well.

Besides the fact that Sudema is ugly, having Grimnak as an alternative that costs less and looks cooler seem to make hime a better choice even if excluding Grimnak's bonding. It seems that if these two fight each other, the odds are that Grimnak will win even considering Sudema's range advantage and higher cost.

Am I missing something here? Of course, there is the range advantage that could kill Grimnak even before he gets to her, but Grimnak seems superior in all other respects and the range is only 4, which is well within Grimnak's movement of 5 (or within one turn of most units).

Another advantage that Sudema has is that she can choose to stare to a unit to which she is not engaged to instead of attacking one that she is actually engaged to. Since she can stare kill you instead of attacking as the car implies, that gives her some valuable tactical flexibility.

As such, range and her power to kill a unit that she is not engaged to while being engaged herself to another is what's probably behind her point value.

I don't care about choosing my army based on strategy. I choose an army based on coolness and personal appeal... even if it means that my units will die trying. Hail to the glory of HeroScape and bravery.
Old January 15th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Hot Hatch
Am I missing something here?
I didn't think I would ever say this, but size matters. Sudema ignores that little problem Grimnak has being intimidated by anyone big enough to give him a fight.

~Aldin, getting Braxas stoned out of her mind

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old January 15th, 2008, 04:00 PM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Hot Hatch
The only edge Sudema adds is the range. Grimnak has a higher probability of killing a hero as well.
The only edge Sudema adds is the range. That's interesting. How many times have you read on these boards: "Range rules Heroscape" How many times have you disagreed with that statement. If you are like most of us, my guess is that you haven't.

Is range only 4? Yep. Does it need to be any better? Not really. Sudema may be a little overpriced. I'd find it hard to argue for more than 10 points though. I find her so enjoyable to play -- if played correctly -- that I'd have a hard time arguing that myself.

Many players who have played Sudema have probably not played her in the right combo. Because her kill power is ranged, she must be used with units that can maximize her strength and minimize her weaknesses. That makes the Major and gladiatrons ideal.

DUND is underestimated and under-rated.
Old January 15th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggler

Many players who have played Sudema have probably not played her in the right combo. Because her kill power is ranged, she must be used with units that can maximize her strength and minimize her weaknesses. That makes the Major and gladiatrons ideal.
Gotta agree, she goes good with Glads, Blasts. and Raelin of course!
Old January 15th, 2008, 05:07 PM

Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker
You are right. There is no doubt that range rules not only HS but most battles real or fiction. However, Sudema is only within one turn movement of most units. She is no Syvarris. They'll get to her within a turn depending on who had the first turn. I think part of her value is in her ability to choose who to stare at within her "staring aura". Not many other figures (if any other) can "attack"(I use "attack" because staring is not an attack strictly speaking) other while engaged to another. The stare allows her to do just that. That gives her some tactical flexibility, which can come in handy in most battles.

Don't forget also that bonding also rules in HS and Grimnak with a squad of heavy gruts can be nasty. Grimnak could not be allowed to disengage like most orcs because then he would be even more powerful as disengagement would give him an additional tactical advantage. It would not be realistic either given his size. It would be tough to disengage fast enough with such a large mass to move, which is consistent with reality.

I don't care about choosing my army based on strategy. I choose an army based on coolness and personal appeal... even if it means that my units will die trying. Hail to the glory of HeroScape and bravery.
Old January 15th, 2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggler

Gotta agree, she goes good with Glads, Blasts. and Raelin of course!
I do have to agree with this quote. However, Major X17 and the Glads can help hold the line for most units. Sudema is not the only one that can benefit from that. Obviously, the Blasts that play together, but can you imagine Kaemon playing target practice with unfriendly figures hooked by Glads? Yes, but the Blasts for 60 points are the best combination with the Glads than anything else I can think of right know. Why invest 80 in two-attack Glads without the Blasts?

By the way. Don't take it personal if you have done it. This is just conversation. I'm a firm believer that you should play whatever floats your boat.

Old January 15th, 2008, 07:07 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
I personally have always wanted to use them together and try:

Glads x3 - 240
Blasts x2 - 120
Sudema - 140

Total = 500

Sudema can work against the Krav or maybe some large figures that the Glads have trouble tying down? It's got some promise I guess.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old January 16th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus
I personally have always wanted to use them together and try:

Glads x3 - 240
Blasts x2 - 120
Sudema - 140

Total = 500

Sudema can work against the Krav or maybe some large figures that the Glads have trouble tying down? It's got some promise I guess.
I've tried that one in the past and it runs into some major problems!

Problem 1- This army gets Destroyed against New Sgt.Drake and fast moving armies like a frenzy army.
Problem 2- It can easily become destroyed if you lose even 1 squad of the Blastatrons.
Problem 3-Large figures like Tor-Kul-Na or figures that can attack multiple times will cause this army a lot of trouble.

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 07:01 PM

Lord3 has disabled reputation
Granted she is over priced and doesn't find her way into many games, but when she does, she's a wild card.

I've been drafting her w/ an undead army, 8x zombies, 2x shades, and she usually isn't required for the win.

Every so often she will emerge from the back to zap a troublesome hero, but normally I don't rely on her for anything and still win. She ends up being the ONLY ranged unit on the team, and they usually run when they see her coming.

Other than costing a little too much I find her very good.

Couldn't figure out why she is Vydar rather than Utgar for a LONG time, but I guess she combos up nicely w/ the glads and x17... I may have to try that.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 09:59 PM

NFCfan has disabled reputation
if you find Sudema overpriced how much do you think she should cost. Any unit that has a 20% chance to auto kill a 200+ point figure from range has to be expensive to not be broken
Old February 7th, 2008, 11:28 AM

Fourshadow knows what's in an order marker Fourshadow knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFCfan
if you find Sudema overpriced how much do you think she should cost. Any unit that has a 20% chance to auto kill a 200+ point figure from range has to be expensive to not be broken
Only one roll and just 4 spaces away? As fragile as she is? No, she's about 20 points over what she is worth. Braxas costs just 70 points more, but she gets 3 tries--granted Sudema is not limited to Medium or Small targets....

"There's right and there's wrong: you do one and you're living. You do the other and you may be walking around, but you're as dead as a beaver hat." John Wayne in The Alamo
Old February 7th, 2008, 11:24 PM

Hilo-scaper is surprisingly tart
I have been using Sudema from the first time I opened the Heroes of Trollsford. My friends and I get a kick out of her, but as so many people mentioned, she is a quirky character. I had a friend take out 3 200+ point characters in 3 successive turns with her and he never lets us live that down.
She's definitely not one you charge in with at the beginning, but I usually hang her back with a Raelin while others fight the early fight. Then she comes in and wreaks havoc on unsuspecting heroes. I love how her stare of stone has no limitations.
Lastly, has anyone noticed that Sudema is an anagram for Medusa?

Latest great traders: pjnormandin, Porkins, Dad_Scaper, beisaic, Greyelephant, the incredible mate, FerryMarcellis, MacBryce, bige51148, Nano*22, Retlaw, Just_a_Bill, Raudulfr Shieldcrusher

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units