Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy > C3G Legacy Library
C3G Legacy Library This is the archive for all the designs released in the original era of C3G. Feel free to post any figure specific questions in their individual books.

Notices

Old January 9th, 2015, 12:47 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Re: The Book of Thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_a_Bill View Post
[*]Thus, for area effects, all the sentences like "Bob's Flatulence Special Attack does not affect Bob" are unnecessary.
They are not unnecessary. Compare Deathwalker 9000 vs. James Murphy. If you use the SA, you target a different figure (since you cannot target yourself). Since they could be adjacent to the targetted figured, they may or may not be affected by the SA as well.
Old January 9th, 2015, 01:28 AM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Quote:
[*]Thus, for area effects, all the sentences like "Bob's Flatulence Special Attack does not affect Bob" are unnecessary.
They are not unnecessary. Compare Deathwalker 9000 vs. James Murphy. If you use the SA, you target a different figure (since you cannot target yourself). Since they could be adjacent to the targetted figured, they may or may not be affected by the SA as well.
Sorry, in that bullet point I meant only in the context of untargeted area effects. I discussed targeted effects in a later bullet. My apologies for not being clear, and I've edited the post.

That seems to be the main difference I'm hearing here. If you target something else, or choose a straight line or target a remote space or whatever, then you might affect yourself so your text needs to exempt you. But if your effect just sort of emanates outward from the space you're on, like calling down lightning or a storm or something, then you cannot be affected by it because you are not "within X spaces" of yourself.

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list
Old January 9th, 2015, 06:52 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Some special attacks or powers would say something like "choose a target, the target and all figures adjacent to the targeted figure are affected"

So because the targeted figure could be adjacent to the figure using the special attack, the line had to be in there about not affecting the figure using the power, because he/she is adjacent to the targeted figure.

In the case of Thor, if the power were to affect him, it would have said, "Thor is also affected by ......."

In the case of Sue, normally a power with "clear sight" in it wouldn't affect the figure using it (unless it were an exploding type or shotgun type of thing), so in her case it had to be put in there because it was intended to affect her.

Generally, if people look at the theme of a power, it's easier to see the intent. For example, Thor isn't going to give up an attack to call down lightning to possibly give himself 3 wounds.

That said, you've been doing some good work here JaB in trying to clean up some of the lose ends of some text here and there. It's up to the current heroes as to when to employ them.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old January 9th, 2015, 10:12 AM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
In the case of Sue, normally a power with "clear sight" in it wouldn't affect the figure using it (unless it were an exploding type or shotgun type of thing), so in her case it had to be put in there because it was intended to affect her.
Hmm, now I'm confused again. This is the second or third time somebody has implied that the outcome has something to do with whether it's "clear sight" or not, but I'm not grasping this yet. (This is part of why I'm trying to break this out logically in detail; there seems to be some kind of technical hair-splitting that I am not understanding yet.)

Can somebody explain to me in detail how normal LOS, clear sight, and simple space counting change the interpretation of whether or not a figure's power can affect itself (in the absence of explicit text one way or the other)?

Or, if there is no difference, then I need to understand why you, Sock, and TB have made a point of singling out clear-sight cases. Obviously I'm still missing something important.

Quote:
Generally, if people look at the theme of a power, it's easier to see the intent. For example, Thor isn't going to give up an attack to call down lightning to possibly give himself 3 wounds.
I appreciate that, but one problem with the appeal to theme is that it can give the wrong answer as often as the right one. Obviously the "real" Thor would not normally call down lightning to wound himself; but just as obviously, he also would not call down lightning to wound his own comrades — yet that is exactly what happens in the game. If I were to rely on theme to determine intent, then I would be nagging you guys that you forgot to say "roll the 20-sided die for all opponents' figures within 2 spaces of Thor."

(And actually, theme did help me conclude that you didn't want Thor hurting himself — which is why I expected that the text would say so, and somebody just forgot that bit.)

Looking to theme in the context of a global rule only works for those units whose theme happens to go the right way. Some guys can safely call down lightning around themselves, while other guys' rocket shrapnel cuts up their own bodies just like everyone else's.

The storyline helps us make a good guess at design intent, but it does not override the meaning of the words in the text. As has often been said, this is a game, not a simulation, and a great many things work differently than they would in RL.

Unfortunately one thing that makes this challenging is that Heroscape has always had its own peculiar dialect and grammar. Some really obviously redundant things are said over and over and over again (probably trying to drive them through thick skulls of 10-year-olds who are lucky they can read at all in this day and age), while other things that should be stated plainly are left to some esoteric, not-exactly-intuitive general rule in a FAQ or a ruling in a heroscapers.com post.

This current topic (the ruling that you are not within 3 spaces of yourself) seems like a perfect example: it's counter-intuitive logically and linguistically, official cards imply just the opposite, newer cards don't really offer clues that this is the special rule, and it's not in the rulebook. So in some cases, you kinda have to be an expert in the evolution of the game's own peculiar interpretation details to play some of the cards correctly. Of course nobody would start out designing the grammar for a new game to be stealthy in that way; I'd imagine it's probably just one of those things that had to evolve to that interpretation to avoid errata-ing a bunch of cards, and/or to save space on the new cards, which naturally tend to get longer and longer over time. (Although, once the decision was made to break from the Hasbro wording convention, it seems like in most cases just adding the inexpensive word "other" probably would have sufficed: "roll the 20-sided die for all other figures within 2 spaces of Thor.")

Anyway, now that I understand that there is some kind of unwritten rule governing these wordings, I'll do my best to avoid raising any further false alarms.

Quote:
That said, you've been doing some good work here JaB in trying to clean up some of the lose ends of some text here and there. It's up to the current heroes as to when to employ them.
Thanks. I'm not trying to frustrate anybody; I just note things as I come across them. I realize I will make some mistakes, and even when I have a valid point there may be other competing points that are more important, and even when we do all agree that something could be clearer, it may not be significant enough to wake up the team in the middle of the night to make new cards, update spreadsheets, and notify the Associated Press that a preposition was changed on card for an out-of-print game.

Anyway, if I start to become more of a hindrance than a help, just let me know. As a technical editor it's natural for me to want to help, but I don't want to wear out my welcome.

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list
Old January 9th, 2015, 12:32 PM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun

LOS - a figure is never in LOS of itself, so LOS powers do not need to specify that it doesn't affect that figure. It does need to specify when it *does* affect that figure, since that's breaking the normal rule.

Clear Sight - a figure is never in clear sight of itself, so clear sight powers do not need to specify that it doesn't affect that figure. It does need to specify when it *does* affect that figure, since that's breaking the normal rule.

Adjacency to Itself - a figure is never adjacent to itself, so powers that specify figures adjacent to itself do not need to specify that it doesn't affect that figure. It *does* need to specify when it does affect that figure, since that's breaking the normal rule.

Within X Spaces of Itself - a figure is never "within X spaces" of itself, so "within X spaces" powers do not need to specify that it doesn't affect that figure. It *does* need to specify when it does affect that figure, since that's breaking the normal rule.

Adjacency to a Targeted Figure - a figure itself *can* be adjacent to the targeted figure, so powers that affect figures adjacent to the targeted figure *do* need to specify whether the figure itself is affected or not.

Within X Spaces of a Targeted Figure - a figure itself *can* be "within X spaces of a targeted figure", so powers that affect figures within X spaces of the targeted figure *do* need to specify whether the figure itself is affected or not.

In Thor's case, his power falls into the "Within X Spaces of Itself" category, and therefore does not need to state that Thor is not affected.
Old January 9th, 2015, 04:31 PM

Thanks, GreyOwl. Seems reasonably self-consistent, and I'm glad to hear that clear sight isn't any different from LOS or simple space-counting; that was really confusing me.

Fortunately there are really only two different rules here, which I'll summarize below to make sure I've really got everything in the right column. Please note that I'm filling in some additional gaps in the matrix, so anyone please let me know if you think I've made a mistake.
  1. A figure is never adjacent to itself, never in LOS of itself, never in clear sight of itself, never within X spaces of itself, and never in a straight line from itself. These kinds of powers do not need to specify that they don't affect their own figure. They do need to specify when they can affect their own figure, since that's breaking the normal rule.

2. A figure can be adjacent to, within LOS, clear sight, or X spaces of, or in a straight line from, either another targeted figure or a targeted space. These kinds of powers always need to specify whether they do or do not affect their own figure.
Looking back over some of the C3G units I was investigating when trying to understand all this, there are some that need to specify whether they are self-affecting, but currently do not do so (this list might not be exhaustive):
  • Comedian: FLAMETHROWER SPECIAL ATTACK affects all figures on 3 spaces in a straight line from the targeted figure
  • Crimson Dynamo: ELECTRICAL BLAST SPECIAL ATTACK affects one extra figure within 2 clear sight spaces of the targeted figure
  • Storm: GALE FORCE WINDS affects each figure adjacent to the targeted figure
  • Wrecker: CROWBAR DEMOLITION affects each figure adjacent to the targeted figure
In Storm's case, for example, it's not a problem for her personally if she blows herself around, since she gets to decide where everyone lands and she takes no damage due to being a flier. But players still need to know whether she does or does not get a free move for herself.

Old January 9th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun

Also keep in mind that what I listed is my understanding of how this works, and I'm not making an official statement on the part of C3G and how they do it. I wanted to make that clear, since this thread was for one of my designs from back when I was in C3G.
Old January 9th, 2015, 04:46 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Thanks, GreyOwl. Seems reasonably self-consistent, and I'm glad to hear that clear sight isn't any different from LOS or simple space-counting; that was really confusing me.

Fortunately there are really only two different rules here, which I'll summarize below to make sure I've really got everything in the right column. Please note that I'm filling in some additional gaps in the matrix, so anyone please let me know if you think I've made a mistake.
  1. A figure is never adjacent to itself, never in LOS of itself, never in clear sight of itself, never within X spaces of itself, and never in a straight line from itself. These kinds of powers do not need to specify that they don't affect their own figure. They do need to specify when they can affect their own figure, since that's breaking the normal rule.

2. A figure can be adjacent to, within LOS, clear sight, or X spaces of, or in a straight line from, either another targeted figure or a targeted space. These kinds of powers always need to specify whether they do or do not affect their own figure.
Looking back over some of the C3G units I was investigating when trying to understand all this, there are some that need to specify whether they are self-affecting, but currently do not do so (this list might not be exhaustive):
  • Comedian: FLAMETHROWER SPECIAL ATTACK affects all figures on 3 spaces in a straight line from the targeted figure
  • Crimson Dynamo: ELECTRICAL BLAST SPECIAL ATTACK affects one extra figure within 2 clear sight spaces of the targeted figure
  • Wrecker: CROWBAR DEMOLITION affects each figure adjacent to the targeted figure
In Storm's case, for example, it's not a problem for her personally if she blows herself around, since she gets to decide where everyone lands and she takes no damage due to being a flier. But players still need to know whether she does or does not get a free move for herself.
I think you've got it right. Thank you!

Would you mind putting all of these in one thread so we can easily go through them and make updates?

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old January 9th, 2015, 05:18 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Yep GO has the right of it .
Quote:
I don't think it's necessary here. If you choose 3 spaces from the target figure & it includes your Comedian then you deserve anything you get -- which is not just wounds on the figure but ridicule & put-downs from your opponent! I think this is over-kill in the wording & redundant.
Quote:
As per Comedian above.
Quote:
I agree with this one, it should be clear that Storm can/can't (I'm not sure of the intent here as I know Griffin was always a fan of being able to move figures with powers) be affected by this power.
Quote:
Yep, this one does need to be clear that Wrecker isn't affected by this power.
Old January 9th, 2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
I don't think it's necessary here. If you choose 3 spaces from the target figure & it includes your Comedian then you deserve anything you get -- which is not just wounds on the figure but ridicule & put-downs from your opponent! I think this is over-kill in the wording & redundant.
But according to the rule, all figures that could potentially affect themselves are supposed to have a statement as to whether their particular design does or does not allow it. Why would this figure be an exception?

We never know when a player may have a legitimate reason to wound his own figure, so it seems important to always know when it is or is not allowed, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Would you mind putting all of these in one thread so we can easily go through them and make updates?
Happy to. Would you like me to start some kind of "Just_a_Bill's suggested edits" thread, then, and just keep dumping all my notes into that, instead of cluttering up each Book?

And if so, also go gather up the other notes I've already spread around to other Books?

Whatever is easiest for you all.

Old January 9th, 2015, 05:30 PM
Promotable Material

Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:

When reading through a power's text, I do my best to not infer anything and to just do as the card says. Subsequently, off the top of my head, in most of these cases, if the power does not specifically say that the figure is not affected by the special power or attack then I'd probably assume that the figure is affected by the special power/attack.

However, iirc, in the case of Wrecker, he cannot be engaged when using the ability ... I can't think of a situation where he could be affected (maybe I'm remembering wrong or not thinking this through properly...high probability). But now I'll probably go back and obsessively read the card to make sure I'm remembering correctly. :rolls eyes:
Old January 9th, 2015, 05:34 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
But according to the rule, all figures that could potentially affect themselves are supposed to have a statement as to whether their particular design does or does not allow it. Why would this figure be an exception?

We never know when a player may have a legitimate reason to wound his own figure, so it seems important to always know when it is or is not allowed, right?
I don't think so. I think that if you are the one doing the choosing then the extraneous wording to say that your figure is also affected is not required that's implied if you are silly enough to target your own figure. If it's an imposed one (like "all figures within X spaces of y) then yes that's a case where I think it would be necessary.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy > C3G Legacy Library