Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old June 1st, 2009, 11:51 AM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Protectors of Ullar - What's your army idea?

Aldin: It's just one of those days where you can't remember a thing about how much a unit costs! And I do realize that my army will have problems against dragons. Braxas might just be taken down by Atlaga, but, if she's not, then I'm in SERIOUS TROUBLE! I do like that all three heroes in the army boost everyone in that particular army.
If push comes to shove, I can always engage Braxas(Or Nilfhiem/Zelrig for that matter) with Atlaga while the Protectors blast away.

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old June 1st, 2009, 12:22 PM
Speculation has proven that I don't understand one of those two words

Pickledpie knows what's in an order marker Pickledpie knows what's in an order marker

540pts
Atlaga 90
2x Protectors 220
2x Minions 220
Isamu 10
Old June 1st, 2009, 12:55 PM

txedomask has disabled reputation

My group is getting ready to start an epic campaign start at 1k points and I am thinking of running

Atlaga
3x Protectors
3x Sentinels
Concan
Old Raelin
Saylind
Old June 1st, 2009, 04:55 PM
Warning! Reading my posts may make you smarter

mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Predominantly, I see the parallel between the way the Protectors play and the recommended way to use Nilfheim. (i.e. Flying into position and taking ranged shots behind a tough melee screen)

Accordingly, the following variants are based upon Nilfheim armies:

Grut Screen:
Grimnak - 120
Blade Gruts x2 - 80
Raelin - 80
Protectors of Ullar x2 - 220
----------------------------
500 Points, 17 Hexes

Marro Drone Screen:
Marro Drones x4 - 200
Raelin - 80
500 Points, 19 Hexes

Drones and Reaver Screen:
Marro Drones x4 - 200
Deatreavers x2 - 80
500 Points, 26 Hexes (lose 2 reavers)

Marrden Hound Screen:
Marrden Hounds x2 - 180
Raelin - 80
Marcu - 20
500 Points, 20 Hexes

Rat Podge with Q10:
Deatreavers x3 - 120
Major Q10 - 150
Isamu - 10
500 Points, 21 Hexes

Rat & Raelin Podge with Nakitas:
Deatreavers x2 - 80
Nakita Agents - 120
Raelin - 80
500 Points, 18 Hexes

The following set of armies replace Zelrig with the Protectors, so I am less certain that the Protectors will earn their keep. (i.e. Zelrig is an often the first Round OM 1, OM 2 bomb against ranged commons)

Glad Blast Backup:
Gladiatrons x2 - 160
Blastatrons x2 - 120
500 Points, 22 Hexes

Nagrub Backup:
Wo-Sa-Ga - 135
Marrden Nagrubs x2 - 60
Raelin - 80
495 Points, 14 Hexes

The final set of armies replace the melee and hero killing powers of the Minions of Utgar with those of the Protectors of Ullar. Obviously, the Protectors are much more frail than the Minions, so they will be banking on (or hoping for) their offensive firepower (rather than longevity), in order to be effective.

Stingers 1:
Marro Stingers x3 - 180
Deathreavers x2 - 80
Marcu - 20
500 Points, 24 Hexes

Stingers 2:
Marro Stingers x4 - 180
Deathreavers - 40
500 Points, 22 Hexes

4th Mass:
4th Mass x4 - 280
500 Points, 22 Hexes
Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:44 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

The first ranged flying squad is in the books, letís take a look at the ideas so far of how to destroy your opponent with them:

ElvenEnvy: Pretty neat Ė Iím starting to think about the fact that every OM your opponent spends on Repulsors is one they arenít spending on something with a better attack.

Devilís Advocate: I dunno Ė I canít quite figure out how 2xProtectors is better than 3x4th in that army Ė theyíre quite good against heroes as well.

Buddy Lee: I like your all-Ullar thinking, Iím just a bit worried about the combo of price and fragility.

gorthan313: 900 points - *sheesh* The second army with Syvarris and Rats does a nice job of addressing the Protectors shorter range.

nyys: Iíd be very curious to see how that worked. Against hero heavy foes I suspect it would be crushing.

clancampbell: With very few exceptions (and the Protectors arenít one of them), I just canít handle 1xCommon.

Pickledpie: There ya go Ė everything is better with speedy Minions

txedomask: All Kyrie - All The Time

mccombju: I really like them as the hero killing component of an army otherwise built to munch on squads. That Grut army looks like it could do some real damage with good OM management.

So if Iím looking for a squad killer, Iím really looking at Zelrig Ė front and center. An army consisting solely of ranged fliers has a lot of mobility Ė does it even need a screen?

Zelrig 185
Atlaga 90
2xProtectors 220

~Aldin, winging it

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:37 AM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Protectors x2 220
Q9 400
Atlaga 490
Allistair 600

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:53 PM

Vydar is the man rolls all skulls baby! Vydar is the man rolls all skulls baby! Vydar is the man rolls all skulls baby! Vydar is the man rolls all skulls baby! Vydar is the man rolls all skulls baby!

Atlaga
3x Protectors
Guilty McCreach

Total 450

---------------

Atlaga
2x Protectors
2x Minions
Marcu

Total 550

-Vitm
Old June 10th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Just thought of one using as many reavers as possible:

160 4x Deathreavers
220 2x Protectors
090 Atlaga
030 Guilty/Eldgrim

Tie up your enemies with all the Deathreavers, then swoop in and fire away with the Protectors. Atlaga is cleanup.
Old June 16th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Okay, the more I think about the Protectors, the more I like them with Taelord. On any given OM, throwing 12-15+ attack dice at range is great, and the boost to hitting units with high defense is enormous. Plus it gives your opponent something besides the Protectors to shoot at, plus Taelord boosts whoever else might happen to be in the army... like mebbe a nice Divider screen?

2xProtectors 220
Taelord 180
2xDividers 100
500 Points; 13 Hexes

~Aldin, getting out the proxies

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old June 16th, 2009, 01:15 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Interesting idea, Aldin. With Taelord, on height, the protectors become absolutely devastating hero-killers. The increased wound chance causes a runaway effect, and the third protector can easily be rolling 8 or 9 dice. If your opponent has more than 300 points socked away in a few big heroes, that could be game over really fast.

On the flip side, though, I just don't see how that army could stand up to squads. I would pick a typical 400 point, A-/B+ squad army over that 500 point army.

ETA: I suppose that I could modify that army with the next-best thing to Taelord:

220 Protectors of Ullar x2
80 Deathreavers x2
220 Captain America
520, 15 hexes

20 more points, replacing the offense/defense of the Dividers and the cheerleading of Taelord with the offense/defense of the Captain and the defense of the Deathreavers. Tying the protectors down to adjacency with CA is not really optimal, though.

Last edited by dok; June 16th, 2009 at 01:33 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion