Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old June 1st, 2008, 02:48 PM

Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby!
Containing Ranged Battles and Superheroes (w/sample map)

I have a problem with a map when in the first few turns, ranged figures can immediately snipe enemy figures on their starting areas (this is just me). Of course AE’s are exempted (then again in a balanced map, air dropping doesn’t matter much).

Lately in building maps, I developed a compulsion to isolate range fighting areas from starting areas. This is a bit of a dilemma for me since I can’t build huge maps (I’m a 1 ROTV guy). This is perhaps propelled by Marvelscape, since almost every figure can be anywhere in a medium size map. Also because I love melee battles…more wetworks.

So here is how I recently do it:

Please bare with me on my wall-walkless walls. I have no trees.

As you can see head on view are blocked from the starting areas.

Range battles are contained in the middle of the map.

But with all those LOS blockers, good range fighting across the map is still attainable. Its not that constricted is it (not in my standards anyway)?

------------------------
I would've posted this in boogles thread but it seems to me that this could be a big "don'ts" to some (not in bare castle walls but in seemingly intense LOS blocking).This is just a preference for me and I'm very inexperience on how battles go down in the realms of tourney level players.

Is this even helpful to some?

Old June 1st, 2008, 03:32 PM

its me lol is surprisingly tart
Re: Containing Ranged Battles and Superheroes (w/sample map)

Looks fun to, I personoly would use more ladders so you can get on the pillars, but I like high fights. But if you only wanted them to be walls thats cool to.

'Cause nothin' lasts forever
And we both know hearts can change
And it's hard to hold a candle
In the cold November rain
-Axl Rose
Old June 1st, 2008, 03:43 PM

Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby!

A great example of containing ranged attacks, and being very melee-friendly, is UranusPChicago's Highways and Dieways. Just about the entire map is made up of road, which gives Melee units a significant advantage. Also, all of the trees work perfectly as LOS blockers, and they always come in just about every battle that takes place on it. There really aren't many shooting lanes, and there are plenty of ways for units to hide behind the trees. It's definitely my favorite BoV map thus far.
Old June 1st, 2008, 04:06 PM

Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by its me lol View Post
Looks fun to, I personoly would use more ladders so you can get on the pillars, but I like high fights. But if you only wanted them to be walls thats cool to.
I just try to limit my elevations between 4-6 and sometimes 7. And the ladders on this map is clearly a violation (all ladders should have wall walks on top) but I like multi-engagements on ladders--reminds me of some of Jet Li's classics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomolka View Post
A great example of containing ranged attacks, and being very melee-friendly, is UranusPChicago's Highways and Dieways.
I agree, I love maps with properly distributed road tiles (many of Chicano's maps are). You're right, Gomolka, Highways and Dieways is an excellent map for melee battles. Great tree placements. Hats off for UranusPChicago on that.

Last edited by Ugly-Caco; November 11th, 2008 at 02:29 AM.
Old June 1st, 2008, 05:34 PM

Rifier_Ace is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomolka View Post
A great example of containing ranged attacks, and being very melee-friendly, is UranusPChicago's Highways and Dieways. Just about the entire map is made up of road, which gives Melee units a significant advantage. Also, all of the trees work perfectly as LOS blockers, and they always come in just about every battle that takes place on it. There really aren't many shooting lanes, and there are plenty of ways for units to hide behind the trees. It's definitely my favorite BoV map thus far.
I share the same opinion about this map. I am absolutely in love with it. It is basically a dream map for me.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios