Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old October 13th, 2016, 01:32 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Hi, I'm new here

Although the RotV rules would let you preview some of the scenarios and maps that you'll be able to play.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old October 13th, 2016, 02:59 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer View Post
Since I am getting Valkyrie first and planning on playing that a while, should I just read the 2nd edition rules of Valkyrie and hold off on Marro rule set?

Just trying to figure out what to read while I wait on my Valkyrie set.
Unlike other games, there is not huge shifts in rules. I'm sure others could spot the differences, but the First Edition rules are almost exactly the same as the final version.

The beauty of heroscape is simplicity.

My only other suggestion is get a copy of Arena of the Planeswalker on sale (as low at 14.99 on amazon). The boards it includes are heroscape compatible, make map building easy, and you don't have to waste precious tiles building your base. You also get 6 more tiles and some glyphs. Finally Arena is fairly good game as it is, so very worth the pick up.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old October 13th, 2016, 04:40 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

IIRC, there are a couple of big changes from 1st edition to current:

The big difference between 1st edition rules and 2nd edition rules is with regard to climbing terrain based on the figures height. First edition rules allowed a figure to move up a number of levels equal to their height as long as they had enough movement to do so. 2nd Edition change made it to where a figure could not scale terrain of equal height, meaning a height 4 figure could not scale a height 4 cliff, even if they had the move value to do so.

The biggest change from 2nd edition to 3rd edition (SOTM) was the free flip for double spaced figures; double spaces use to have to pay a move point to turn around.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old October 13th, 2016, 04:48 PM

jennifer knows what's in an order marker jennifer knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
Quote:
Since I am getting Valkyrie first and planning on playing that a while, should I just read the 2nd edition rules of Valkyrie and hold off on Marro rule set?

Just trying to figure out what to read while I wait on my Valkyrie set.
Unlike other games, there is not huge shifts in rules. I'm sure others could spot the differences, but the First Edition rules are almost exactly the same as the final version.

The beauty of heroscape is simplicity.

My only other suggestion is get a copy of Arena of the Planeswalker on sale (as low at 14.99 on amazon). The boards it includes are heroscape compatible, make map building easy, and you don't have to waste precious tiles building your base. You also get 6 more tiles and some glyphs. Finally Arena is fairly good game as it is, so very worth the pick up.
Regarding arena, I don't know the game but are people working on arena cards for all the heroscape figurines? Are the new rules more exciting? Worth converting?
Old October 13th, 2016, 05:10 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Check out AotP. It is worth it.

Conversion is being attempted by a few onsite.

It is fun by itself and those map boards will be an immense boon to your map making abilities!

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old October 14th, 2016, 01:20 AM

jennifer knows what's in an order marker jennifer knows what's in an order marker

Just curious are all those game tiles that come with the Arena two sided ? Because all I'm seeing are sand and water
Old October 14th, 2016, 06:35 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Just curious are all those game tiles that come with the Arena two sided ? Because all I'm seeing are sand and water
The cardboard tiles that come with the first master set, Magic The Gathering: Arena of the Planeswalkers, are only one sided.

The tiles that come with the second master set, Magic The Gathering: Arena of the Planeswalkers - Shadows Over Innistrad, are two sided. The pictures in the above Amazon link show both sides.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old October 15th, 2016, 05:54 PM

anto_capone is surprisingly tart

Hello, I am new here as well.

About Arena of the Planeswalkers; I played that a couple weeks ago and wasn't too impressed. It was ok imo. At $15 it isn't bad.

Playing that, however, did give me the urge to get back into Heroscape and that is what led me here.
Old October 16th, 2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto_capone View Post
Hello, I am new here as well.

About Arena of the Planeswalkers; I played that a couple weeks ago and wasn't too impressed. It was ok imo. At $15 it isn't bad.

Playing that, however, did give me the urge to get back into Heroscape and that is what led me here.
Wb to the hobby! . I can't wait to start.
Old October 16th, 2016, 08:33 AM

MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby!

@jennifer

You might know this, but just in case, here's some very concise and helpful info about Heroscape.

This game was released in Master Sets (big box with complete game) and Waves. Waves could be boxed (with large figures or new terrain) or blistered (just heroes & units).

Except for the Rise of the Valkyrie, the game has no "editions". The newest master set replaced the previous one (mostly) and the rules were corrected or refined. Thus the latest rules are the best to use, in this case look for Battle for the Underdark.

Now, you'll find that those rules will reference some terrain that you don't own, that's ok. This game is about miniature strategy and special terrain rules where the fight happens. One of the appeals of new sets is getting new terrain types.

Summing up: find whatever Master Set you can (I recommend RotV), get the latest rules (BftU) and ignore rules about terrain you still don't own (shadows & dungeon).
Old October 16th, 2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MementoMori View Post
@jennifer

You might know this, but just in case, here's some very concise and helpful info about Heroscape.

This game was released in Master Sets (big box with complete game) and Waves. Waves could be boxed (with large figures or new terrain) or blistered (just heroes & units).

Except for the Rise of the Valkyrie, the game has no "editions". The newest master set replaced the previous one (mostly) and the rules were corrected or refined. Thus the latest rules are the best to use, in this case look for Battle for the Underdark.

Now, you'll find that those rules will reference some terrain that you don't own, that's ok. This game is about miniature strategy and special terrain rules where the fight happens. One of the appeals of new sets is getting new terrain types.

Summing up: find whatever Master Set you can (I recommend RotV), get the latest rules (BftU) and ignore rules about terrain you still don't own (shadows & dungeon).
Thanks I have RotV coming any day now. That's all I have at the moment.
I do have a 3D printer as well (I know how to model things a bit in blender and know OpenSCAD and Sketchup). Got a question for you: I see in your sig link, a hex STL and a 5x hex STL.. I am wondering, assuming one's printer is accurate, how well do those printed hex tiles integrate with the real deal? Reason I ask is it is cheap to print "snow" hex tiles in white PLA but the real snow tiles are fairly expansive when you buy them on ebay.
Old October 16th, 2016, 09:34 AM

MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Thanks I have RotV coming any day now. That's all I have at the moment.
I do have a 3D printer as well (I know how to model things a bit in blender and know OpenSCAD and Sketchup). Got a question for you: I see in your sig link, a hex STL and a 5x hex STL.. I am wondering, assuming one's printer is accurate, how well do those printed hex tiles integrate with the real deal? Reason I ask is it is cheap to print "snow" hex tiles in white PLA but the real snow tiles are fairly expansive when you buy them on ebay.
Well, printing it's not cheap, but certainly cheaper than getting the actual tiles now. The hexes are a bit tight, but certainly work. Just print a couple of them and test them with your original hexes, play around with the scale in tiny bits until you find the best setting for your printer.

I highly recommend you to print a bridge or two (5 hex tile) and some trees. With those you almost have the Return to the Forgotten Forest expansion, which in my opinion is the best one. Then print some glaciers (or outcrops), I put the 1 and 3 hex models, which are great line of sight blockers.

Finally, you can print some Tically jungle bases and make you own custom bushes.

Oh, and if you go and print snow, you can print lava too. With a printer and a lot of time you can have most of the game for a decent price.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion