Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old August 11th, 2017, 09:54 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: Board Games On Chinese Subjects

Although its a Japanese game by a Japanese designer, I just ordered another design from the boardgamegeek store. Its IKI: A Game of Edo Artisans. Set in medieval Tokyo, it beautiful and looks like it will be a lot of fun. With 2-4 players it takes 60-90 minutes, and has many innovative and unusual features, or older ones combined in new ways.

Once again, its hard to find here in the USA, and available right now in limited quantity, so check it out! $60 + shipping. It recreates the One Mile Marketplace I saw recreated in the Edo Museum in Tokyo when I went last Spring. No samurai, and no trading, but lots of strategy!
Old August 11th, 2017, 12:56 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Fie on politics, economics, and culture; I just want to fight!

Just purchased (online - will have by 8/21, if not sooner) another game by a Japanese designer, abstract, but apparently about kung fu, called
Onitama, and its expansion, Onitama: Sensei's Path.

I don't expect to have it by our next game day (8/16), but it is possible. In any event, it will go to Jamaica with me.

Old August 11th, 2017, 01:27 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

That sounds really cool. Nice, simple mechanics but tons of strategy.
Old August 11th, 2017, 01:46 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

K.,

Good for you--bring it over! Easy to transport, but 2 Player only.

Chas

Last edited by chas; August 11th, 2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old August 16th, 2017, 07:53 AM

As Shades Fan mentioned and Kolakoski bought, Onitama is a simple strategy game that's fun. A neighbor pal of mine had it, so after a regular length game, I asked him to take it out just before we had to leave his place. I lost in four moves, which took about four minutes! Better luck next time for me.
Old August 16th, 2017, 08:08 AM

"Ha Ha--very funny!"
--Short Round, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Big Trouble In Little China (by Everything Epic) is a new preorder game title for me. Its due in November. Believe it or not, this is my first Preorder ever. The Special Gold Box Edition (instead of the white regular one) will include what will later be a substantial retail First Expansion; which I'll be getting for free.

This expansion will offer a larger 5-6 player format, new cards, and an additional time travelling campaign about the origin of the evil ghost sorceror Lo Pan (played by James Hong in the cult John Carpenter/Kurt Russell/Kim Cattral movie)--who was a real figure in Chinese history, today revered as a god with his own temples. He's the god of invention, construction, and contractors, which sort of makes him the Chinese Leonardo Da Vinci, back in the Spring and Autumn Period.

The game is a co-op text based adventure based on magic, horror, kung fu (of which I did an introductory year many moons ago in the Jow Ga style), comedy, monsters, etc. set in a modern big city China Town. Except for the director and two actors I mentioned, almost the entire rest of the cast is Asian, and made up of many martial arts experts. The film was way ahead of its time in introducing these themes, and employing so many Asian people. Ironically, it met resistance from Asian rights groups in the early 80's because the leads were Caucasian!

If you check it out on boardgamegeek you'll see 40 beautiful and faithful 32mm minis, an astounding colorful two sided area movement board, and many other wonderful components including cards, custom dice, game markers, character dice grid sheets & etc.

This is a pretty funny movie. Because it was so ahead of its time, audiences often did not realize it was a comedy! I remember much earlier this same thing happening when I was in a theater for a different film. I was laughing my head off, and people around me were looking at me like I was nuts. After all, back then who'd ever heard of a comedy Western? The picture: Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid.

Likewise, Big Trouble in Little China was a satire on its genre, where the sidekick was the actual hero and the hero the sidekick! I could go on and on about the game, but check it out yourself on bgg.
Old August 19th, 2017, 06:20 AM

I have now received the rare Emperor's Choice from the BGG Store. It includes the English Rules (2.0). Besides buying some card sleeves, I've copied the back of the Rules for the players, which includes info from the small player aid. While all other of the many game components are either pictoral icons or bilingual, that info on the back of the aid are in Japanese (as is the back of the game box).

Its odd that the other side is in English, but this overall situation is perfectly acceptable. They give you so many small plastic bags that I haven't even used them all yet when I punched out and bagged up all the tiles. And yet somehow it all fits into the small box!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games