Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old October 8th, 2017, 10:38 AM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth
MechScape - mac122

I have a pretty good size collection of MechWarrior figures, most from when the game was in production. I like the concept of the game, but never liked the Clix system or trying to memorize what all the colors mean on the dial. If you have to keep a reference card on hand, why not just have a card for each figure? Since I got into HeroScape, I've thought of ways to incorporate the figures into the game - other than making them all Soulborgs. I've gone through several variations, all with different levels of complexity, trying to capture the theme of the MechWarrior game, but with the elegant simplicity of the Heroscape system.

I found a great online resource, a website called Warrenborn.com. He has some info on Battletech, but a huge part of his site is dedicated to the MechWarrior game and figures. He has captured the stats and dials of every unit from the game. It's been invaluable in creating the cards.

The Basics
Stats
Here's an example of a stat page from the Warrenborn site, with the parts crossed out I am not using.

- I am ignoring the front and rear arc, preferring to use Heroscape LOS rules.
- I will probably lose many of the Mech enthusiasts when they see I am also ignoring heat effects and venting. For me, these added a level of complexity that lowered the amount of fun and slowed the game down. IMO, it would be easy enough to add a heat/venting mechanic into the game, if you so desired.
- I don't directly use the Max Damage value, but it may match the value on the Primary and/or Secondary attack.
- In the MW game, speed is measured in inches moved. So, a figure with a max speed of 10 would be able to move up to 10 inches on the battlefield. Since Scape hexes are bit below 2 inches, I cut the Max Speed value in half to arrive at the move value. In most situations I will round down, but will round up on some to add balance.
- I use Max Attack as the Attack value for both the Primary and Secondary attacks for Mechs, and as the only attack value for Vehicles and Infantry.
- I cut the Max Defense in half to arrive at the base Defense value for the figure.
- Attack and Defense values remain constant no matter the damage taken by a figure. One thing I do like about the Clix system is that damage taken affects the performance of a unit. However, it is another level of complexity I decided to eliminate for my Scape version.
- I use the Life value as the Scape Life number.
- Range and number of targets are used on the cards (details below). "0" range values are changed to "1" for Scape. Like Move, the ranges are also cut in half to use the hexes in Scape.
- Points are rounded to the nearest 5 to simplify army point totals. After comparing the point totals for several 500-900 point armies and finding the average overall change was less than +/- 10pts, I decided that keeping the MechWarrior points wasn't worth the extra calculation effort.
- Pilots and equipment upgrades are not currently part of my system, but I plan to add them eventually, well pilots at least.

Cards

Referencing the large red numbers
1. Faction symbol and name, unit model, unique name (if applicable), traits. I've gone simpler, removing rarity and personality, as these really play no part in my system.
2. Attacks. For MechScape, all attacks are considered "normal" in Heroscape terms. Weapon type denoted with the symbols (lightning bolt for energy weapons, artillery shell for ballistic weapons, etc.). Values for each attack denoted along one side of the box. Any special features denoted in the text area. If there is no special equipment denoted on the stat page, a simple name is used for the attack (ie Small Lasers). Mechs have 2 attack options while Vehicles and Infantry have only 1.
3. Defense value and special powers/equipment. If no special powers, then text will read "Standard Armor".
4. Picture of unit
5. Hit zone. Different color zones on the image have no special meaning at this time. In the past, I have considered having each part - legs, arms, torso, head - have their own defense values and special equipment. That's not part of the current system, but I thought the images were still cool, so they stayed.
6. Life, Move, and Point values. The symbol next to the move number denote the type of propulsion, or Movement Mode. Different Movement Modes interact with terrain in different ways.
7. Special equipment. Things like Jump Jets, Improved Targeting, optional attack equipment, etc, will appear here when present.
8. Capacity value. Only on the Vehicle card for use with Transports.

The cards are designed to be printed 6 per page on 8.5" x 11" paper. I'm on version Mk III of the card blanks (hopefully the last I'll need). Cut down on some wasted space in order to increase the size of the ability text boxes. I've got the MSE files worked out for this latest version, but I don't have all the card blanks worked up yet.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031

Last edited by mac122; February 1st, 2024 at 12:43 AM.
Old October 8th, 2017, 10:38 AM

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth
Re: MechScape - mac122

MechScape Rules
Much of the Heroscape system and rules are used in MechScape. This post will highlight the rule changes and variations. The basic rules are fairly complete based on the few skirmishes I've played, but tweaks undoubtedly will be made as more playtesting is done.

What stays the same
- Army drafting. Set a point value and draft units until you've used your points.
- Order Markers. MechScape can be played with Order Markers like traditional Heroscape. The rules below describe a different system.
- Wound Markers (Damage) - Life values are higher, so you'll need more
- Dice - Skulls and Shields will still decide your fate for attacking and defending
- Order of play – still move and attack, but the way the move and attack phases play out is very different
- Much of the movement stays the same - counting spaces, terrain effects, must fit on each space moved through, etc. There will be adjustments made for different unit types, dependending on their “Movement Mode” as spelled out below.
- Adjacency, engagement, and leaving engagement. Most of this will remain the same, with some adjustments, especially for Mechs.
- Most rules governing attack and defense. LOS, counting spaces for range, etc, remain the same.
-Height advantage for units of the same size - Small vs Small, Medium vs Medium, etc. - is determined the same way. Height advantage between units of different sizes is spelled out below.
- Rarity. Only one of a Unique unit allowed in an army. All other units should be considered Uncommon, each with its own Army Card. If a special power would allow you to take control of a duplicate unique unit, it is instead destroyed.

Special Rules for MechScape – unless specified, follow all standard Heroscape rules.
GAME OVERVIEW
1. As in Heroscape, players decide on point values, battlefield, victory conditions, and any game-specific scenario rules before beginning.
2. Players choose armies and place units in their respective start zones.
3. Before each round, each player will roll a 20-sided die to determine Initiative – player with the highest roll chooses whether to go first or last during round phases.
4. Rounds are divided into Movement and Attack phases. Instead of regular turns, all players will participate in each phase.
5. Play continues until victory conditions are achieved.

NEW GAME CONCEPTS
1. Movement Markers. After moving a unit, place a Movement Marker on that unit’s Army Card. Certain abilities and attacks may affect placement of Movement Markers. Movement Markers are removed during the Attack phase.
2. NOE and Cruising. NOE – Nap of the Earth or terrain level. Cruising – at altitude or above the terrain. Most units can exist only at NOE. Others, may exist at either NOE or Cruising, and may move between the two during the Movement phase. Unlike “Flying” in Heroscape, units at Cruising level do not have to “land” after moving.
3. Unit sizes and heights. All Mechs are considered Large, all vehicles considered Medium, and all Infantry considered Small. Mech heights may vary, but all Vehicles have a height of 3 and all Infantry have a height of 1.

MOVEMENT
Movement Modes
1. Foot. A unit with the Foot movement mode exists at NOE level and is affected by all terrain types. A Foot unit counts each water, heavy snow, and slippery ice space as 2 spaces when moving.
2. Aquatic. A unit with the Aquatic movement mode exists at NOE level and is affected by all terrain types except water. Aquatic units treat water spaces as land spaces for movement purposes.
3. Hover. A unit with the Hover movement mode exists at NOE but ignores terrain effects except molten lava. Hover units may move across but not stop on molten lava spaces. Roll 1 combat die for each molten lava space a Hover unit passes over. Skulls rolled count as hits on that Hover unit. Hover units treat all spaces as land spaces for movement purposes. Hover units ignore the first level of elevation for each space moved when moving uphill.
4. Tracked. A unit with the Tracked movement mode exists at NOE level and is affected by all terrain types except heavy snow and slippery ice. Tracked units treat heavy snow and slippery ice as land spaces when moving. Tracked units Tracked units ignore the first level of elevation for each space moved when moving uphill.
5. Wheeled. A unit with the Wheeled movement mode exists at NOE level and is affected by all terrain types. Wheeled units ignore the first level of elevation for each spaced moved when moving uphill. Wheeled units add 1 to their movement value if all spaces entered are land or road spaces.
6. VTOL. A unit with the VTOL movement mode may exist at Cruising level or NOE level. A VTOL unit ignores all terrain effects and elevations at Cruising level and all terrain effects except molten lava at NOE level. A VTOL unit at NOE level may move across but not stop on a molten lava space. A VTOL unit at NOE level ignores the first two levels of elevation for each space moved when moving uphill. A VTOL unit at Cruising level may move through all units without becoming engaged. During its move, a VTOL unit may change levels at the cost of 1 point of movement. Use the short peg to indicate NOE level and the tall flight peg to indicate Cruising level.
7. Mech. A unit with the Mech movement mode exists at NOE and ignores all terrain effects except molten lava. Mech units may move through, but not stop on molten lava spaces. Roll 4 combat dice for each molten lava space entered. Skulls rolled count as hits on that Mech unit. All other terrain types are considered as land spaces for movement purposes. Mech units ignore the first level of elevation for each spaced moved when moving uphill. Mechs may not move up levels more than half their height, rounded down, for each space moved, if their movement value allows. For example, an Atlas Mech, with a height of 8, may not move up more than 4 levels for each space moved. A Nova Cat, with a height of 7, may not move up more than 3 levels for each space moved.
8. Quad Mech. A unit with the Quad Mech movement mode exists at NOE level and ignores all terrain effects except molten lava. Quad Mech units may move through, but not stop on molten lava spaces. Roll 4 combat dice for each molten lava space entered. Skulls rolled count as hits on that Quad Mech unit. All other terrain types are considered as land spaces for movement purposes. Quad Mech units ignore the first level of elevation for each spaced moved when moving uphill. When moving uphill, Quad Mech units may move up levels of terrain equal to their height +1 for each space moved, if its movement value allows. For example, an Ursa with a height of 4 and move of 4, may move up 4 levels in a single move forward (4 levels – ignore 1st level + landing space = 4).

Special Movement Situations
1. Mechs and Quad Mechs may not move through spaces occupied by other Mechs or Quad Mechs.
2. Mechs and Quad Mechs may move through spaces occupied by Vehicles. When moving through a space occupied by a vehicle, whether friendly or opponent, roll 2 combat dice. Skulls rolled count as hits on the vehicle. Blanks rolled count as hits on the Mech or Quad Mech.
3. Mechs and Quad Mechs may move through spaces occupied by Infantry. Mechs and Quad Mechs may move freely through spaces occupied by friendly infantry units. When moving through a space occupied by an opponent’s infantry unit, roll 1 combat die. A skull rolled counts as a hit on that infantry.
4. Mechs and Quad Mechs do not take leaving engagement attacks from units they move through, but will take leaving engagement attacks from any other opponent’s units they move out of engagement with during their move.
5. If a unit is destroyed as the Mech or Quad Mech moves through its space, the Mech or Quad Mech may choose to end their movement there.
6. Vehicles and Infantry may move freely through spaces occupied by friendly units of any size.
7. Vehicles and Infantry may not move through spaces occupied by an opponent’s units.
8. Except for VTOLs, if a unit’s entire move is on Road spaces, they may move 1 additional space.

Transports
1. Transports are specialized Vehicles that have a Capacity value on their Army Card.
2. Before, during, or after a Transport moves, you may choose adjacent, unengaged, friendly Infantry units, and place them on the Transport’s Army Card. A Transport may never have more units on its Army Card than its Capacity value.
3. Before, during, or after a Transport moves, you may take any or all Infantry units on a Transport’s Army Card and place them on an empty space adjacent to that Transport. Units may not be placed into engagement but may be placed on glyphs.
4. A Transport uses 1 point of movement to load or offload 1 or more Infantry units. For example, a Bishop VTOL Transport with a Capacity of 3 and a Move of 7, loads 3 Infantry, costing 1 unit of movement. It moves 3 spaces and offloads 2 Infantry, costing 1 unit of movement. It has 2 units of movement left. It can either move 1 more space and offload the third Infantry unit or move 2 spaces and keep the last Infantry unit on board. Second example. The same Bishop has 2 units of Infantry already on board. Before moving, those 2 Infantry offload and 3 different Infantry are loaded. This exchange still costs 1 unit of movement. That Bishop may now move 5 more spaces and offload the 3 new Infantry.
5. VTOL transports must be at NOE level to load or offload Infantry, with 1 exception. A VTOL Transport may offload Infantry with Jump Jets special equipment at Cruising level.

COMBAT
Attack types

1. There are three attack types, Ballistic, Energy, and Melee.
a. Ballistic attacks, designated with a bomb icon, deliver ordnance on a target, such as missiles, cannon shells, machine guns, etc. Typically require clear line of sight, but some special equipment allows for attacks against hidden targets.
b. Energy attacks, designated with a lightning bolt icon, are directed energy weapons such as lasers, particle cannons, flamethrowers, etc. All require clear line of sight to the target.
c. Melee attacks, designated with a gauntlet icon, can only be used against adjacent targets.
2. Some special equipment may modify attacks or reduce or eliminate damage received from attacks.

Attack and defense rolls
1. Results of attacks are decided in the same way as Heroscape – rolling more skulls than a defender rolls shields results in hits on the defender - with the following changes:
a. There are no Special Attacks in MechScape. Mechs have 2 attack options available while Vehicles and Infantry have 1 attack option. All are treated as Normal attacks. Mechs may only use 1 attack during their turn. Since there are no “Special Attacks”, modifiers, such as height advantage and other special equipment are always considered.
b. Each attack option has a Damage value. This is the maximum damage a unit can receive from an attack regardless of the number of excess skulls rolled. For example, an Atlas uses its Secondary Attack, with an attack value of 10, and a damage value of 5, against an Anubis with a defense value of 9. The Atlas rolls 8 skulls to the Anubis’ 2 shields. In Heroscape, the Anubis would receive 6 hits. However, in Mechscape, since the attack has a damage value of 5, the Anubis only receives 5 hits.
c. Each attack option has a Targets value. Before attacking, you may choose a number of opponent’s units, up to its Targets value to attack. Roll attack dice once for all chosen units. One at a time, each chosen unit rolls defense dice. After each defense roll, if the attack was successful, the attacker determines the amount of damage inflicted on that unit. Continue in this manner until the maximum damage has been inflicted or all targeted units have rolled defense dice, whichever comes first. When defense rolls are complete, any unassigned damage is lost. For example, an Atlas with a Damage value of 5 and a Targets value of 3 chooses 3 opponent’s units, each with a defense of 9. The Atlas rolls 8 skulls. The first defender rolls 7 shields, and receives 1 damage, leaving 4 damage available. The second defender rolls 4 shields. The remaining 4 damage can be assigned to this defender, but the attacker chooses to only assign 3, leaving 1 available for the last defender. That defender rolls 8 shields and receives no damage. The final point of damage is lost.

Height Advantage
1. Height advantage between units of the same size - Small vs Small, Medium vs Medium, Large vs Large - is determined by standard Heroscape rules: whichever unit's base is higher has the advantage, adding one to their attack or defense rolls.
2. Height advantage units of different sizes are determined as follows:
a. Compare the height of the 2 units. A smaller unit's base must be a number of levels higher than a larger unit’s base, equal to the difference between the 2 units' height to gain advantage. For example, the base of an Infantry unit with a height of 1 must be at least 2 levels higher than the base of a Vehicle with a height of 3 (3-1=2). In another example, the base of a Vehicle with a height of 3 must be at least 3 levels higher than a Mech with a height of 6 (6-3=3) or 5 levels higher than a Mech with a height of 8 (8-3=5).
b. A larger unit, whose base is higher than a smaller unit’s base automatically has height advantage.
3. VTOL units at Cruising level always have height advantage regardless of an opposing unit’s size.

Special Equipment
1. Some Attack and Defense text may reference special equipment. For example, an ARMOR PIERCING attack specifies that the defending unit cannot "use any ARMOR special powers to reduce damage received." This means a defending unit may not use any special powers with ARMOR in the name, such as HEAVY ARMOR or REACTIVE ARMOR, to reduce damage received. Likewise, some defense special powers like REFLECTIVE ARMOR will reduce damage done only by ENERGY attacks, while REACTIVE ARMOR will only reduce damage done only by BALLISTIC attacks.

PLAYING THE GAME
1. Roll for Initiative. Each player rolls a 20-sided die. The player with the highest roll wins Initiative.
a. Optional rule: the player with Initiative may choose to play first or last in each phase. For example, Player 1 wins Initiative, but chooses to be last in the Movement phase, but chooses to be first in the Attack phase.
2. The game is played in rounds, divided into Movement and Attack phases.
a. Movement phase. In Initiative order, players take turns moving one unit each. After each unit is moved, the player places a movement token on that unit’s Army Card. Continue in this manner until all units have been moved. Units may move “0” spaces.
b. Attack phase. In Initiative order, players take turns attacking with one unit each. After each unit attacks, remove the movement token from that unit’s Army Card. Continue in this manner until all units have made an attack, if possible. If a unit receives enough damage from an attack to be destroyed, immediately remove it from the battlefield.
3. At the end of each round, check for victory conditions. If victory conditions are not met, begin another round.

Last edited by mac122; May 4th, 2019 at 08:06 PM.
Old October 8th, 2017, 10:39 AM

FACTIONS

Bannson's Raiders
Clan Jade Falcon
Clan Nova Cat
Clan Sea Fox
Clan Wolf
Dragon's Fury
Highlanders
House Davion/Federated Suns
House Kurita/Draconis Combine
House Liao
House Steiner/Lyran Commonwealth
Rasalhague Dominion
Republic of the Sphere
Spirit Cats
Steel Wolves
Stormhammers
Swordsworn

Mercenary
21st Century Lancers
Eridani Light Horse
Gunslingers
Hansen's Rough Riders
Kell Hounds
Ronin
Wolf Hunters
Wolf's Dragoons

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List

Last edited by mac122; May 9th, 2019 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Reorganized list
Old October 8th, 2017, 12:26 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Old October 8th, 2017, 09:19 PM

GUNSLINGERS

The skull emblem shown is used on Warrenborn.com to represent mercenary Mechs and pilots called Gunslingers. A large portion of the units were part of the Solaris expansion in the MechWarrior Clix game. However, on Sarna.net, the emblem is identified as that of the Gray Death Legion. I can only speculate that this is a situation where the MechWarrior and BattleTech universes diverge. Either way, lots of fun units to use in the game.

From Sarna.net - the BattleTech Wiki
The Gray Death Legion was the elite mercenary unit of military mastermind Grayson Death Carlyle. Starting as an offshoot of the Trellwan Lancers, an ad hoc militia unit set up by Carlyle for the defense of Trell I in 3024, the unit eventually grew to regimental size. The Legion became famous for the discovery of the Helm Memory Core, which set off a technological renaissance throughout the Inner Sphere, as well as for the most effective use of combined arms tactics, culminating in the development and deployment of their own Battle Armor models.
The unit was all but destroyed in 3065 during the defense of Hesperus II against Skye Rebels.

MECHS
Spoiler Alert!

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List

Last edited by mac122; May 5th, 2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old October 8th, 2017, 09:20 PM

WOLF'S DRAGOONS

"Wolf's Dragoons is a name that is synonymous with the best traditions of the mercenary profession operating within the Inner Sphere. They are arguably the most famous mercenary unit ever, considered to embody the ideals of honor, professionalism, and integrity that less scrupulous members of the mercenary trade are sometimes portrayed as lacking.
They were initially of Clan origins, but have since integrated both Clan and Inner Sphere traditions and personnel and established themselves as a power in the Inner Sphere."

VEHICLES
Spoiler Alert!

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List

Last edited by mac122; May 5th, 2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old October 8th, 2017, 09:20 PM

21st Centauri Lancers

"The Twenty-first Centauri Lancers are one of the foremost mercenary units in the Inner Sphere. Since their founding, the Lancers have forged a reputation for honesty and loyalty, though they expect the same from their employers and are known for not accepting any mistreatment."

VEHICLES
Spoiler Alert!

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List

Last edited by mac122; May 5th, 2019 at 06:11 PM.
Old October 9th, 2017, 12:32 PM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I have not gone through all the Mechs yet but looking cool.

My only complaint is the numbers come from Heroclix and not Technical Readouts.

I would have dropped heat also. You may want to scale back the damage potential on Mechs that run hot to balance them not having to account for heat.

Really love the Max Damage mechanic! I may steal that for a future design.

With the Locust's Pulse Lasers can it shoot four times per turn?
Old October 9th, 2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I have not gone through all the Mechs yet but looking cool.

My only complaint is the numbers come from Heroclix and not Technical Readouts.

I would have dropped heat also. You may want to scale back the damage potential on Mechs that run hot to balance them not having to account for heat.

Really love the Max Damage mechanic! I may steal that for a future design.

With the Locust's Pulse Lasers can it shoot four times per turn?
Thanks for the feedback, T! Looking at my posts this morning, I realize I need to organize the cards better within each faction post. I think I'm going to group them in spoilers by weight class - Assault, Heavy, Medium, Light.

I used the Clix stats because there would have been some balancing of the abilities with the point values from the original game. It allows me to port the info into MechScape with less guesswork - a good starting point. Plus, through the Warrenborn site, they are readily available. I don't have the Technical Readouts. Is there an online resource for them? If so, is there a similar stat structure available in them that would allow for setting the values for move, attack, defense, range, weapon types, # of targets, damage, and points? If so, I would be glad to check them out.

I know that Heat was a part of the equation for the MechWarrior game, so I am sure some of the values will need to be tweaked to help account for that. I am hoping to get a chance in the near future to run some real tests on the units I have converted and discover some of the stats that need to be adjusted.

On the Locust, the intent of the Pulse Lasers is to be able to attack/fire on the same unit twice in one turn. Each attack would be able to do up to 2 damage. This is one of the units I've not actually played yet. I imagine this ability will need to change, perhaps to a reduction in attack value for both attacks instead of a defense add for one. It appears on multiple Mechs, so I need to get it right.

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Old October 9th, 2017, 05:42 PM

There was a site that had all the old Battletech manuals in PDF.

It may be linked in the Mech Bay as I imagine that is where I learned about it.
I would just stick with what you have as the ease is important and I imagine you will the numbers are close.

Good stuff. I look forward to looking through the rest of the cards.
Old October 10th, 2017, 01:56 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Good stuff. Especially like the height rules, but wording might need to be tweaked to explain better when you move a bunch of 1-height hexes up a hill. I get that you divide the total height change in 1/2 and round down, but don't know how to word that succinctly and clearly when figures go up and down hexes in the same move. Three things Battletech (never played Mech Heroclix) did that Heroscape did not I both liked and didn't like.
  • Facing direction mattered for things like multiple attacks couldn't be in front AND behind, and flanking bonuses. I liked this and it would be nice to add, but easier with Hex bases, and not too bad if you don't do.
  • Heat damage. I thought it was a complex version of activation/magic points found in some other mini games (ahem D&D/SW) and glad you got rid of it.
  • Component damage. This is one thing it would really nice to add. Maybe make it so when the each figure's life is down to half the start (rounded down), the opponent can choose which stats on the unit get cut in half - attacks and max damage or move and range, or instead remove one type of attack OR a defensive power or special equipment. If you want to get really advanced, do this at 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 life (rounded down).
Old October 10th, 2017, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

My intent for the Mech movement is that if they are going up a "gentle" slope, 1/1 ratio, 1 up for each one forward, that it would not cost the Mech any extra move points. Higher inclines would cost some extra, but not as much for smaller units. The equalizer is that they really can't climb. Elevation changes of 4 or more prevent a Mech (without special equipment like Jump Jets) from moving through a space. In the admittedly limited play, this has worked well. I will try to work on the wording when I get a chance.

Your point about facing direction is valid. I may need to figure out an adjustment that doesn't add too much complexity. For now, I'm going to use the Scape version of LOS.

I really wanted to add component damage. I loved playing the MechWarrior PC games where you had the display of your Mech silhouette showing the relative damage to each part. I had worked on a version that would do that. The problem I had then is that I would have to figure out all the different stats and make sure they were balanced. One of these days, I may revisit. I need to look for the card blank I had worked on.

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards