Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old October 12th, 2006, 05:44 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Avalon Hill games available at TRU...what's good?

Before the TRU sale runs out, I'm thinking about buying some Avalon Hill games.

Which of these are any good, in your opinions? Which are horrible?

-Rocketville
-Betrayal at the House on the Hill
-Sword and Skull
-Nexus Ops
Old October 12th, 2006, 06:12 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
I haven't played any of those, but I've heard from many places that Betrayal at house on the hill is fantastic. I think I want to get it for myself.
Old October 12th, 2006, 06:12 PM
52nd runner up - Miss UK Pageant

robaula has disabled reputation
Re: Avalon Hill games available at TRU...what's good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb231

-Rocketville
-Sword and Skull
-Nexus Ops
Avalon Hill still make games? Blimey, they've been going for a fair few years then. I dont suppose that all their games still have hundreds of tiny card counters in them, do they?
Old October 12th, 2006, 06:51 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
No they're into nice detailed plastic now. They're kind of the upscale brand of Hasbro's game wing.

Some of their games are overpriced, but a lot have dropped to 19.99 recently at TRU.
Old October 12th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:

-Rocketville
-Sword and Skull
-Nexus Ops
-Rocketville-No. I haven't played it but never got good reviews.
-Betrayal-Yes. But make sure you get the FAQ/Errata to fix the glaring problems. Overall a great game.
-Sword and Skull-Depends. Roll and Move. Haven't played but the reviews say kids will enjoy it but not a lot there.
-Nexus Ops-YES! The best of the bunch. Very cool game. Easy to learn and play and the board changes with each play (Hex based game system that you randomize the placement of the tiles.) Combat is simple and it is a balanced game. Games should take no longer than 45 minutes once everyone gets comfortable with the rules. Really 30 minute games are possible if you don't have anyone that suffers from too much A/P.

Newb.
Old October 12th, 2006, 06:59 PM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
We own Nexus Ops and Sword & Skull. S&S is really light and fast, nothing great to tell you the truth. Nexus Ops however is a great game. It's not a monster strategy or grand wargame, but it's got great little bits and its FUN!!! I usually play it with the GF and her Dad. Supports up to 4 players. We've only ever played with 3, but it goes pretty quick. You pick select different units for different jobs. Some units fight better on certain types of terrain, and I think there are 2-3 different sets of cards that let you pull powers and special moves during play. First player to 12 points wins. You get wins by defeating your oppents in battle. It's just a great little game, no complaints.

I've never played the other two games, but I wanted to buy Betrayal at the House on the Hill. I think it's for 6 players, but don't quote me on that.
Old October 12th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Which Team Am I On?...

Tiberius has disabled reputation
Betrayal can be played with 2 to 6 players. It is a great game and the errata is a must. I have played it many times and highly recommend it. The replay value is very high since there are random scenarios, about 50, that you get when you play. Great stuff.

Tiberius is Rogue...
aboard STARSHIP THETA...
Old October 12th, 2006, 09:23 PM
has been BANNED

reapersaurus is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
They also have Monsters Menace America, AFAIK.
And that should be a no-brainer for $20 for any fan of monster genre.

Betrayal @ tHoHH is a MUST for $20 - I'm picking it up, and am glad I can finally get this game at a great price!

Nexus Ops sounds good, from my research on BGG.
Old October 12th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I'll second Monsters Menace America. Giant monsters, military units and Ultron.

Good stuff and for 20.00 it's a good deal!

Newb.
Old October 12th, 2006, 09:58 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:

-Rocketville
-Sword and Skull
-Nexus Ops
-Rocketville - Have not and probably will not play this one based on reviews.
-Betrayal at the House on the Hill - I want to play it, but it has an errata list a mile long. Freaking playtesters:P
-Sword and Skull - Heard it insn't real good, so I will prolly leave it alone.
-Nexus Ops - LOVE IT. This one is a lot of fun. A good light fast paced war game that plays 2-4.
Old October 13th, 2006, 12:43 AM

Rodriquez has disabled reputation
Ive got swords and skulls..
it's a pretty fun game sorta like monopoly on crack with pirates..

Nexus ops I just got and have been playing and it seems pretty fun Ive just not gotten my wife to understand the combat rules on it.

cheers
Rod

good trades:Caravaggio, Gabbi, Drfeelgood,aljovin,vydar,rrhino,boom, Pallindromemaster, spidysox, Eckels, wytefang, Rym, Armegeddon, Fatboy Chubby, Forgehammer, Grison
Old October 13th, 2006, 12:48 AM
ATF Agent

ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby!
Rocketville is fine if you like something like Diplomacy. There is no combat, but strategy is king. I played a demo w/a WotC envoy. It was mostly boring.

I've never played Nexus Ops or MMA. I've heard mixed review of each. I'm tempted by both as I am by BatHotH.

I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games