Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion
AotP General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old March 19th, 2015, 07:36 PM

Blatimus knows what's in an order marker Blatimus knows what's in an order marker
Re: Magic: the Gathering Strategy Board Game (Looks HeroScap

We are always bringing our customs to HS. In a way this is bringing HS to MTG which is the other way around.

I look at all the clever innovations so many from our community have added to the game by people such as @GaryLASQ and his Modular Maps or @AliasQTip custom weapons cards and there are so many others with variations of these great ideas that I can't help but think that this new game is just another brilliant variation of HS with Craig Van Ness at the lead no less.

I like the idea of adding special cards to the gameplay. Summoning squads is a nice dynamic.

Last edited by Blatimus; March 19th, 2015 at 10:53 PM. Reason: honorable mentions
Old March 23rd, 2015, 02:19 PM

Justin The Critic is surprisingly tart

I played MTG for many years before I found Heroscape. At first I saw this as someone spitting in the face of us 'Scapers, but after reading all 42 pages am actually looking forward to it.

If you can accept losing, you can't win -
Vince Lombardi
Old March 25th, 2015, 12:03 AM

Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby!

I've been farting around with some scenario and map ideas and since there isn't any other area to discuss such on this site, I hope you kind folks don't mind if I lay it out here. Trying to get some discussion back into the topic.

I was ruminating about how pre-existing heroscape terrain could transfer over to the Arena of the Planeswalkers using the info for the game that we have gleaned already, and still fit in with the Magic design theme.

Each Planeswalker in this scenario has special rules pertaining to their domain and are as follows:
Special Rules:

• Black Planeswalker:
Each time a creature enters a space occupied by Swamp Water, they are poisoned and immediately lose 1 life unless their controller discards a card. Black Planeswalkers and their summoned creatures are immune to this effect.
  • Red Planeswalker:
Each time a creature enters a space occupied by Lava, they are burned and immediately take 1 damage. Red Planeswalkers and their summoned creatures are immune to this effect.
  • Blue Planeswalker:
Each time a creature enters a space occupied by Water, they are hindered and immediately end their turn. Blue Planeswalkers and their summoned creatures are immune to this effect.
  • Green Planeswalker:
Trees block line of sight and movement through them. Green Planeswalkers and their summoned creatures are immune to this effect.
  • White Planeswalker:
White planeswalkers and their summoned creatures are granted +1 toughness when they are adjacent to a space occupied by Savannah Grass (Jungle Brush).
  • Colorless Planeswalker:
Colorless planeswalkers and their summoned creatures are granted +3 movement if their entire movement begins and ends on stone spaces.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any thoughts on those? I admit that I am at a loss as to how to deal with the eventuality of colorless planeswalkers convincingly. But it just a thought to mull over.

And a map for 5 players (6 if we ever get that many PWs) using 3 RotV's and a butt load of rocky outcrop terrain.
(Apologies to those who don't have access to such terrain. I wouldn't either if I didn't cast my own.)
Hopefully, this can be less symmetrical as the game is played to offset weaknesses and handicap conceived imbalances.

It would be interesting if the Planeswalker start spaces could be made into some type of convincing scenario objective. Perhaps an auto win if you can control two of your opponents separate start spaces besides the obvious last man standing win condition?
Old March 25th, 2015, 08:48 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Good work! The adaptability of Heroscape is why it will never die.
Old March 25th, 2015, 09:11 AM

Blatimus knows what's in an order marker Blatimus knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorcrayons View Post
I've been farting around with some scenario and map ideas and since there isn't any other area to discuss such on this site, I hope you kind folks don't mind if I lay it out here. Trying to get some discussion back into the topic.

I was ruminating about how pre-existing heroscape terrain could transfer over to the Arena of the Planeswalkers using the info for the game that we have gleaned already, and still fit in with the Magic design theme...
I love the idea. I especially like the arena style level.

I think we should view this new game as a Heroscape expansion with it's own Master set and give it a special home on the forums. At the very least we should give it recognition like we do HoSS, HoME, or any other specialized 'Scaping. The game isn't even in full production and we are already customizing it.

The more we talk about this, the more I am convinced I'm going to get into this game.

The thing I am wondering, and I guess it all depends on how well this game is received...are they planning on major expansions? Maybe it's in their plans to add types of terrain. That would greatly further HS and maybe bring down the price on our specialty terrain.
Old March 25th, 2015, 11:11 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I heard there would be a few terrain expansions of folded cardboard, as well as a dungeon set. Finally they will go off the board and introduce a DC comics set but never expand it further.
Mostly rumor though.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old March 25th, 2015, 11:33 AM

Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby!

I think there is good evidence that they intend to expand this. The point values for army building on the creature and spell cards are a good indicator of this, since in order to rearrange your build, you'll need additional content. How and when? Dunno. The japanese link in the last page seems to indicate a rumor about some type of expansion released at gencon for the games broad release in august. Let's hope it's true.

I really hope terrain sets come into play somehow. But I'd rather the squads get expanded a bit first so that players will be more likely to be interested enough to buy terrain when there is a decent pool of play options. (From the perspective of a consumer that would be a complete heroscape noob.)
Old March 25th, 2015, 11:43 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

One of the things that is different about modern game marketing is the simultaneous release of a base set and some expansions at the same time! So we can hope to get a First Wave right off the bat, since we're talking about a large company backing it up.

And a DC Comics set would be great for us SuperScapers!
Old March 25th, 2015, 12:16 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
And a DC Comics set would be great for us SuperScapers!
He was kidding...
Old March 25th, 2015, 12:26 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Chas was kidding too. Simultaneous release of expansions?

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old March 25th, 2015, 12:32 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

Well, I for one am holding out for Pathfinderscape.
Old March 25th, 2015, 12:38 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Chas was kidding too. Simultaneous release of expansions?

LOL
You mean like they did for X-Wing Miniatures Game? The Core Set and Wave 1 came out at the same time: GenCon 2012.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion