Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old July 17th, 2008, 08:29 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
The One . . . 500 point army?

Well met!

If there were a tourney in which there were multiple maps with widely variant terrain randomly chosen before each fight, you had no idea of the opponent's army, and you had to choose a 500 point army for the entire tourney . . .

If you had to choose a 500 point army to play 'til the end of time . . .

You get the idea . . .

How about this to start:

Lil Raelin 80
Kaemon Awa 120
Sonlen 160
Izumi 60
Shaolin 80

[3/1/2010 Ah, how much has changed since 7/17/2008!]

Last edited by kolakoski; March 1st, 2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old July 17th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: The One . . . 500 point army?

Well, welcome to the boards first off.

And what you're describing is pretty much standard tournament structure anyway. Pick an army capable of fighting on a variety of maps and able to handle a variety of different armies in return.

As far as having an army for all-time, I'd probably put in some multiple squads in there somewhere. While I love the Shaolin Monks, they aren't the best option, especially if you're only using one squad of them. May as well take the Knights, with one more defense die and the same attack. But I digress....

Kaemon is solid, as is Sonlen. Don't know that I would give up multiple attacks for having both of them in my army. You'd really only need one solid hero. Replace the other with a couple of squads of something else.

If you take out Kaemon, you can get 2 squads of stingers. Or if you take out Sonlen, you could take 2 squads of 4th Mass or 10th Foot. The advantage to this is that you'd be getting more than one attack per order marker.

Just my two cents.

Again, welcome to the boards

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-

Last edited by rym; July 17th, 2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old July 17th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness

As rym said, your question isn't really very different from a vanilla tournament in the first place. A big part of what a "tourney-worthy" army is all about has to do with handling multiple maps and unknown opponents.

My choice would be this:

420 blasts/glads x3
080 Raelin

Watch out, end of time!

Last edited by rdhight; July 17th, 2008 at 10:53 PM. Reason: clunky usage
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhight View Post
As rym said, your question isn't really very different from a vanilla tournament in the first place. A big part of what a "tourney-worthy" army is all about has to do with having to deal with multiple maps and unknown opponents.

My choice would be this:

420 blasts/glads x3
080 Raelin

Watch out, end of time!
I've played this army - and I hate it! But it is a nice one.

Old July 17th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

I think I might go with:

Nilfheim 185
3x Marro Stingers 365
3x Deathreavers 485
Isamu 495 (24 hexes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old July 17th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

I like:

Q9 180pt.
Raelin 80pt.
Krav 100pt.
Stingers x2 120pt.
Marcu Esenwein 20pt.
+_________________
Total = 500pt. , I'm not sure if it's my absolute favorite 500pt. though.
Old July 17th, 2008, 11:08 PM

Agent of Vydar is surprisingly tart

Tor-Kul-Na 220
Nagrubsx4 120
Marro Warriors 50
Krav Maga Agents 100
Isamu 10

This is one great army I think.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...191#post646191 Check out my Epic Battles! Vote for Samurai Showdown or Northern Outpost!
Old July 17th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Who Bummed Woo

I wouldn't call mine the best, but if we're talking for all time, then I would play the following because it'd be fun and I really enjoy it, and I have had success with it.

Kaemon Awa 120
Nakitas 120
Monks x 2 160
and either
Krav 100
or
Marro Warriors 50
Me-Burq-Sa 50

It's hodge-podge, but effective, and if I haven't said it, fun! Smokescreening Monks across the board to Shaolin Assault is wicked fun.

Old July 18th, 2008, 12:25 AM

King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker

Cyprien= 150
Sonya=195
Syvarris=295
AE=405
Marro Warriors=455
Eldgrim & Isamu/Theracus/ninja's and Marcu= 495

Q9 can be taken out with range from AE or Syvarris, I've done it before. Only problem might be Glad/Blast...any thoughts?

King of the Marro is Killer Bee...
aboard
<<<Oblivion>>>...
Old July 18th, 2008, 12:40 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Welcome to the site, kolakoski! Always good to see more Heroscapers from NYC.

As for your question, I'd hate to be stuck playing the same army forever, but how about this one:

Kaemon Awa - 120
Raelin - 80
Major Q10 - 150
10th Regiment of Foot x 2 - 150

Total - 500 points, 12 hexes
Old July 18th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Marro View Post
Cyprien= 150
Sonya=195
Syvarris=295
AE=405
Marro Warriors=455
Eldgrim & Isamu/Theracus/ninja's and Marcu= 495

Q9 can be taken out with range from AE or Syvarris, I've done it before. Only problem might be Glad/Blast...any thoughts?
Glads/blasts would wreck you for sure if you tried to engage with multiple units at once. Best way for your army to fight them would probably be to pile markers on a single long-ranged unit and keep backing up. Position Syvarris at maximum range to two glads and shoot; repeat next turn. They may well wreck you in any case, because you have Cyprien holding you back and because you'll run out of room to retreat, but I expect you'll deal the most damage this way.
Old July 18th, 2008, 03:18 AM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Microcorp 3x - 300

Raelin - 380

Krug - 500

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion