Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old November 10th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Advocates Stripping (& Is 47.8% Right)

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness
After tarnishing an otherwise beautiful win by not properly reading Deadeye Dan's card, I was thinking about the size restriction on Ullar's Enhanced Rifle- specifically why it's there. Now, perhaps I'm not thinking this through entirely, or maybe I'm missing something else (like longer game experience) but yeah. I just can't see it as a game balancer in any real way. So the target doesn't get to roll defense dice. That seems really awesome, until you realize that you can only deal one wound, regardless. Most large or huge creatures have at least three life, so that'd be at least three activations of Deadeye to eliminate the target, assuming he doesn't miss and that he is unharried long enough to do so. Can you imagine spending eight order markers to kill Braxas? Additionally, none of your other units would be able to act if you were repeating Deadeye Dan. Pretty hefty tradeoff there alone.

Without this restriction, Deadeye Dan and Major X17 would make a great large herokiller pair for a reasonable 160 pts, but even so it's not a flawless grouping. X17 isn't all that fast, and Deadeye Dan is pretty fragile. There is a great strategic element here that is lacking because Deadeye Dan can't target those large creatures. It's not like it'll change anything, but the thought is just bugging me a bit. If I'm overlooking something here, or this has been argued over before, or even if you just agree with what I'm saying here, I'd love to hear some others' opinions on this. Thanks.

- Heroscape is a standing game. -
Old November 10th, 2007, 11:12 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
Off the top of my head, they might have done it to protect large squaddies like the Marrden Hounds. Large creatures being immune to many special abilities seems to be a theme of Heroscape, possibly to compensate for their lack of mobility.
Old November 10th, 2007, 11:17 PM

tyguy94920 is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninValentina
After tarnishing an otherwise beautiful win by not properly reading Deadeye Dan's card, I was thinking about the size restriction on Ullar's Enhanced Rifle- specifically why it's there. Now, perhaps I'm not thinking this through entirely, or maybe I'm missing something else (like longer game experience) but yeah. I just can't see it as a game balancer in any real way. So the target doesn't get to roll defense dice. That seems really awesome, until you realize that you can only deal one wound, regardless. Most large or huge creatures have at least three life, so that'd be at least three activations of Deadeye to eliminate the target, assuming he doesn't miss and that he is unharried long enough to do so. Can you imagine spending eight order markers to kill Braxas? Additionally, none of your other units would be able to act if you were repeating Deadeye Dan. Pretty hefty tradeoff there alone.
Tryed this earlyer, and he was poisoned in the first round, but I forgot about the Large figure rule

But DED also has the d20 roll to, so that makes up for the above rule

Click Above for My Sig Link
Old November 11th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Advocates Stripping (& Is 47.8% Right)

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Right, except rolling a 19 or 20 is a lot less reliable than dealing an unblockable wound. Shore, it outright kills if you do, but even for such a great outcome I rarely use the power, because its generally a wasted action. The option of choosing between a whittling strategy or the risky one shot kill is one that a player would have to make, and in this case I just think its unfortunate that large figures are immune to the Enhanced Rifle attack. I just can't justify the reasoning for that immunity. Maybe the speed is part of it, but even so; if you have three, four, five rounds to get to Deadeye Dan with anyone, the cowboy is pretty much toast. If you can hold Braxas off long enough for Deadeye to score those eight wounds, well, you deserve that kill, I'd think.

- Heroscape is a standing game. -
Old November 11th, 2007, 06:32 AM

Bl00DDeMoN has disabled reputation
Don't forget this guy is only 60 points. And if he could kill large and huge figures, what's the point of soulbourgs? They most of the time have 1 life, that would mean you could kill them with one simple skull.
And 8 rounds on Braxas (if lucky) to kill him? I'd rather try my luck with the 20 sided die lol.
Try to take out/wound one small or medium figure each round and the rest of your turns you either put on other army cards or try to roll a 19-20 with DeD.

My map creations

"Bravery calls my name
In the sound of the wind in the night
My sword will drink blood
And I will fight, Yes I will fight
In the dawn of battle"
Old November 11th, 2007, 08:08 AM

hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Hmmm.... with the Braxas scenario. She has 8 life, so if you have a 50% chance of rolling a skull per attack, that would be 16 attacks to roll the 8 skulls necessary. Granted this is theoretical and it could take as little as 8 attacks or as many as 300, but it will average out to 15.5 depending on if you rolled the 8th skull or non-skull first. Anyway going about killing Braxas with Ullar Enhanced Rifle would take at least good 8 turns, probably 15-16 turns.

Now if you used Sharpshooter its a 2/20 chance to instantly kill any figure. That would be 1 out of every 10 turns. Again it's just theory, but that's again the average. In theoryscape, Sharpshooter has a much higher chance of killing Braxas. In addition once you roll a 19 or 20 once, you don't have to waste anymore turns. You could get lucky and kill her the first time you try, with Ullar Enhanced Rifle you would still have to take at least 7 more shots.

Old December 26th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Colorblind Kid

southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby! southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby! southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby! southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby! southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby!
there has been too many a game where i will lose 2-3 heros to DED's 20 sider... my brother uses him for the same reasons stated above about the probability.hurts to lose 200-300 pts to a 60pt fig
Old December 26th, 2007, 03:47 PM
has been BANNED

The Super Atheist is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninValentina

Without this restriction, Deadeye Dan and Major X17 would make a great large herokiller pair for a reasonable 160 pts, but even so it's not a flawless grouping. X17 isn't all that fast, and Deadeye Dan is pretty fragile. There is a great strategic element here that is lacking because Deadeye Dan can't target those large creatures. It's not like it'll change anything, but the thought is just bugging me a bit. If I'm overlooking something here, or this has been argued over before, or even if you just agree with what I'm saying here, I'd love to hear some others' opinions on this. Thanks.

Deadeye should be used against expensive squads, for example minions. If he kills two he has earned his points, and if he kills 3, you have made a "profit" points-wise.
Old December 27th, 2007, 08:19 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
Almost better than expensive squads is unique squads, especially those with strong defense or defensive abilities (like all the agents and Samurai). Like Super said, he is also great for killing Minions, likewise for Sentinels. Let us not forget that he absolutely owns Deathwalker 7000.

If the Ullar Enhanced Rifle could target large figures, he might be a nice counter to Q9. If he could get 2 wounds on Q9 before he died, he would have earned 150% of his points and we all know how hard it is to get a wound on that <edited for content>. However, I think it's there to protect the expensive, large squads like the Hounds, Stalkers and Templar.

I like using the Sharpshooter ability once in a while, but only in certain cases. Sometimes I'll sneak the #3 on Dan if I haven't used him much thus far and try to sneak a lucky shot through on a big hero like Q9, Braxas or even Cyprien. Also, if I get caught with a marker on Dan while he's engaged, I'll use Sharpshooter to target someone else and try to take them out. It's generally more beneficial than using his 1 attack die on the engaged figure.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old December 27th, 2007, 09:15 AM
has been BANNED

The Super Atheist is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Deadeye and a squad of reavers would make a nice 100 point combo. If the enemy tries to take out deadeye, send out the reavers as a counter-attack, whilst your sharpshooter supports them.
Old January 1st, 2008, 10:28 AM

guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSentinel
Quote:
Originally Posted by marro_master
2 things (1) how is his primative gun better than the airborne elites or a deathwalker? and 2 how can he 1 shot a hive, its HUGE no way can 1 little bullet kill a hive. i don't get the logic behind it, it's total .
Well for one thing... He can't oneshot the Hive.

Secondly, do you KNOW anything about guns? Bullets haven't changed too much over the years...The core of what a gun is hasn't changed too much since rifling of the barrels (except for SA/FA cool stuff and some other tricky mods and cool gizmos).

He's also a SNIPER. Again .

Happy New Year,

Frederic
Also, we are comparing a sniping gun (probably a hunting rifle) from the mid 1800's which has been enhanced by Ullar's magic, to Riffles used only 100 years later (and not for sniping) and are not magically enhanced. While we are at it we might as well compare the offensive powers of all the sword wielders. Gee, why are some better than others, they all have swords? It is the ability of the person wielding the weapon which gives it potency. There is no way an untrained Orc will match the skill of a Samurai or the brute strength of Jotun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
Did you lose your saving throw vs. Fabulous?
B.U.D.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 08:01 AM

RobWeaver has disabled reputation
OK - first of all it's a game, so certain liberties get taken with history and ballistics and all. Nevertheless, the Remington rolling block was not just any gun. It, and the Sharps Old Reliable, were single shot big bore hunting rifles capable of delivering knock down power at extreme range. Those two guns account for nearly all the millions of buffalo taken during the great years of commercial hide hunting from 1867 to about 1880. The open sights on my Sharps are graduated out to 800 yards. Sharpshooters during the Civil War regularly picked off targets in excess of 600 yards. What's the effective range of an M1 carbine? I'm guessing closer to 300 (The M16's). With a telescopic sight, the Remington is an awsome gun. It was still being manufactured well into the 20th century. Then there's the whole thing about sharpshooters. They're special. Rather than training, they simply have that inate ability to bring down a target at long range. A friend of mine regularly brings down deer at 500 yards +. I've seen him do it. I'd hate to approach him if he were cosy on a hill with a clear field of vision.

Not one step backwards!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units