Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Discussion
Marvel Discussion General discussion, units, rules & FAQs specific to Marvel HS

View Poll Results: Have you ever played a SuperHero RPG?
Yes, Enjoyed it. 16 43.24%
Yes, So-so. 4 10.81%
Yes, Dint care for it. 1 2.70%
No, But Ive wanted to. 4 10.81%
No, But Im planing on it. 0 0%
No, and no future plans to. 12 32.43%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 4th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Master Custom Creator

PochoMan rolls all skulls baby! PochoMan rolls all skulls baby! PochoMan rolls all skulls baby! PochoMan rolls all skulls baby!
MARVEL SuperHero RPG by TSR (now a WotC license)

Has anyone else played the Marvel SuperHeroes RPG by TSR?

Recently Ive been only using the Marvel Universe: the Official Marvel Wiki and MarvelDirectory.com to come up powers and/or stats to create my customs. Then I remembered TSR's Marvel SuperHeroes RPG.

Back in the 80's TSR came out with an RPG based on Marvel SuperHeroes which lasted into the early 90's. Later on it was bought by WotC and they tried to revive it to no avail.

Unlike D&D you didnt gain levels or experience but it was fun none the less. So I decide to surf the web and see if anyone had some stats or a database and wallah... MARVEL RPG NETWORK.

On Marvel RPG Net you can find alot of TSR's old RPG books, in PDF format, which includes stats on all phases of heroes powers and abilities. But remember the latest update was in the 90's, so its not really up-to date. But its a good start to try and research older and or deceased characters.

MARVEL SUPERHEROES RPG STATS FOR HEROSCAPE CONVERSION Im going to post some RPG stats here for people to see what I mean and to come up with the correct, or as close as possible, HS power to recreate these.
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Master Custom Creator

PochoMan rolls all skulls baby! PochoMan rolls all skulls baby! PochoMan rolls all skulls baby! PochoMan rolls all skulls baby!
1st up Sentinels.
Most SENTINELS from MARK I - the Alternate Rachelle Summers time line share much of the same abilities thru out there models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENTINEL ABILITIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel Knowledge
1 ) ROBOTIC CONSTRUCTION: The Sentinels are robots, and as such have a number of special abilities.
* Immunity to poison, disease, and gases
* Invulnerability to mental attack such as mind control and mind reading.
* Sentinels do not need to breath, and as such are unharmed by the effects of outer space and being underwater.
* Were programed not to harm mutants.

* MK I Sentinels were 10' tall and +1CS to be hit
* MK II, III, IV, V, VI, Alpha, Omega Sentinels were 20' tall and +2CS to be hit
* Master Mold was 30' tall and +2CS to be hit
* Tr-Sentinel was 50' tall and +3CS to be hit

2 ) BODY ARMOR: are made of “X” strength that provides them with “Y” protection against physical and energy attacks.

3 ) VARIABLE ENERGY BEAMS: including plasma beam, electron beam, and heat rays.

4 ) GAS JETS: emit knock out gas of “X” intensity up to “Y” areas away

5 ) CATCH-WEB CABLES: issuing from their palms.

6 ) MUTANT DETECTION: can scan all living beings w/in “Y” areas to determine if they’re human or mutant.

7 ) FLIGHT:

8 ) SELF REPAIR MECHANISMS: allowing them to regain 1/6 their health per round, provided they have 1/3 health remaining. Once the health falls below 1/3 this function stops working.

9 ) LEARNING PROGRAM: a more controlled variation of the Mk II's Adaptability Program, this allows the Sentinel to gain a +1cs against an opponent after fighting that opponent for 3 rounds. Furthermore, the information is relayed back to central computers, such that other sentinels of that model (and higher) are aware of it and gain the additional ability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark I
Quote:
Common Sentinel Abilities: 1 , 2 , 3, 6, 7,
STUN RAY:
DISINTEGRATOR RAY: vs. inorganic matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II (NEO-Sentinels)
Quote:
Common Sentinel Abilities: 1 , 2 , 3, 6, 7,
ADAPTABILITY: sentinels can analyses and attack form and create methods by which that attack can be neutralized, these methods by which its own self-repair mechanism and include such enhancements as:
* Steel tendrils vs. dexterous opponents
* Vibrations vs. sonic powers
* fire vs. ice-based
* Ice vs. Fire-based
* Etc…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II, Number Two
Quote:
Same as NEO-SENTINEL with the following...
SPACE-WARP: generate a teleporting space warp, crossing contenetal distances at will.
LIMITATION REMOVAL: Number Two can harm humans at will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark III
Quote:
Common Sentinel Abilities: 1 , 2 , 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8,
ATMOS-SPHERES: a modification for life in space can generate a protective bubble for up to 6 individuals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Sentinels
Quote:
Common Sentinel Abilities: 1 ,
Professor X: Force Beam
Cyclops: Force Beam
Marvel Girl: Tractor Beam
Ice-Man: Ice Projector
Beast: No Modifications
Angel: Flight
Havok: Force Beam
Polaris: Magnetic Beam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV
Quote:
Common Sentinel Abilities: 1 , 2 , 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9
SEARCH LIGHTS: mounted in eyes, these lights can illuminate a 2-area volume up to 5 areas away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark V
Quote:
COLD BEAMS: jets of liquid nitrogen, mounted in the eyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark VI
Quote:
INVISIBILITY: achieved by camouflaging liquid crystal implants and stealth ECM technology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 Century ALPHA (Warrior) Sentinel
Quote:
Common Sentinel Abilities: 1 , 2 , 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
SENTIENCE
ELECTRICAL INSULATION: are insulated to provide resistance against electrical attacks on any nature.
DARTS: javelin-sized steel darts. Can be thrown up to 3 areas away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 Century OMEGA (Executive) Sentinel
Quote:
Same as ALPHA with the following...
ENCEPHALO-SCAN: Lie detector beam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTER MOLD
Quote:
Common Sentinel Abilities: 1 , 2 , 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 1/10 health per round, before falling below 1/20 health, 9
HUNTER MISSLE: Seek and Destroy Missle.
BEACON PROBE: Induce Sleep within 2 areas.
STUN RAY: 3 areas
MIND CONTROL:
BRAIN MODULE:
RETRIBUTION VIRUS: designed to kill all all super-human mutants, but also 90% of humans with the genetic potential for mutation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMROD
Quote:
Common Sentinel Abilities: 1 , 2 , 3, 6, 7, 8,
FORCEFEILD GENERATOR:
HYPERSENSITIVE SENSES:
NEURAL MANIPULATION: on touch, Stun
TRACTOR BEAM: telekenetic power to attract or expel a target
SHOCK WEB:
POWER NEGATION: Negate all mental or psionic powers with in one area.
TELEPORTATION: upto 5 miles.
SHAPE CHANGE: may change himself to appear human.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRI-SENTINEL
Quote:
Common Sentinel Abilities: 1 , 2 , 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Grindmaster

allskulls has disabled reputation
Here's another great source...

http://www.classicmarvel.com/
Old December 4th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
I have played all three versions: The Original Set in 1984, the Advanced Set in 1986, and the Basic Set in 1994 - which combines many of the best elements of the first two. The only game I like better is D20 Silver Age Sentinels. DC Heroes is okay, but not terribly intuitive. Also, modeling powers in it can be very tricky.

Old December 9th, 2007, 08:45 PM
has been BANNED

Mort_isha28 Woo who?
I used to play MSH I think I even have some of the books lying around somewhere.....I wonder if I have any of my characters still...
Old December 10th, 2007, 04:35 PM

naps420 Woo who?
I used to have a buddy a few years ago who loved running Marvel RPG, the old one done by TSR. I wasn't much of a fan of the game, but everyone else seemed to love it in our play group. I didn't like the random powers during character creation, the % style system, and some of the rules seemed a bit outdated (But then again, this game was done in the 80s). I almost gave up on superhero RPGs because of this and GURPS superheroes. About a year ago, a friend of mine introduced me to a game called Mutants and Masterminds and I must say, I love this game. It's everything Marvel should have been, but reworked using the d20 system. It saved me the work, I was in talks about trying to rework Marvel into a d20 system and they beat me too it. If you loved the Marvel RPG, check out Mutants and Masterminds, I am sure you wouldn't be disappointed.
Old December 10th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Messy Eater

Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby!
I preferred the newer Marvel SuperHero game from TSR which used the card system (DragonLance 5th age used this as well). Superbly fun and a great RPG system.

Highly recommended, though finding the books might prove tough unless you use eBay.
Old December 10th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Master Custom Creator

Re: MARVEL SuperHero RPG by TSR (now a WotC license)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allskulls
Here's another great source...

http://www.classicmarvel.com/
Thank you. I've added this to my favorites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker
I have played all three versions: The Original Set in 1984, the Advanced Set in 1986, and the Basic Set in 1994 - which combines many of the best elements of the first two. The only game I like better is D20 Silver Age Sentinels. DC Heroes is okay, but not terribly intuitive. Also, modeling powers in it can be very tricky.
I've played both TSR versions; DC RPG; BATMAN RPG; Palladium Books Heroes, Villians, and Aliens Unlimited;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort_isha28
I used to play MSH I think I even have some of the books lying around somewhere.....I wonder if I have any of my characters still...
I don't have any of my characters lying around but I'm thinking bout making new ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naps420
I used to have a buddy a few years ago who loved running Marvel RPG, the old one done by TSR. I wasn't much of a fan of the game, but everyone else seemed to love it in our play group. I didn't like the random powers during character creation, the % style system, and some of the rules seemed a bit outdated (But then again, this game was done in the 80s). I almost gave up on superhero RPGs because of this and GURPS superheroes. About a year ago, a friend of mine introduced me to a game called Mutants and Masterminds and I must say, I love this game. It's everything Marvel should have been, but reworked using the d20 system. It saved me the work, I was in talks about trying to rework Marvel into a d20 system and they beat me too it. If you loved the Marvel RPG, check out Mutants and Masterminds, I am sure you wouldn't be disappointed.
Like with any game there are "House Rules". We never thought the random power generation was all that great, especially when you end up with a character who ends up with Flying, Elongation, and Running? I will check out Mutants and Masterminds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytefang
I preferred the newer Marvel SuperHero game from TSR which used the card system (DragonLance 5th age used this as well). Superbly fun and a great RPG system.

Highly recommended, though finding the books might prove tough unless you use eBay.
Do you mean the little orange bordered cards that come with the Advanced set? As for finding the books you'd be surprised how many books that the MARVEL RPG NETWORK currently has.
Old December 10th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Messy Eater

Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby!
No, I'm not referring to any orange-bordered cards. I'm referring to the TSR Card-based Marvel RPG. It was awesome. It had tons of excellent supporting material and it used a unique card-based system to resolve combats and many other aspects of gameplay.

I'll take a picture of it if I can find it and post it here. It was the best of the superhero RPGs, imho...
Old December 10th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Messy Eater

Here's the picture of the main rule book for the Marvel Superheroes Game using the SAGA system:

And here's the link to a review of it, though I disagree with a few of the negative comments (and agree with a few others):

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/12/12950.phtml
Old December 11th, 2007, 12:05 AM

Fatespuppet has disabled reputation
I'm not sure it technically classifies as a Super hero RPG, but I've played the HERO system quite a bit. We did a super hero campaign, which it handles quite nicely. I've never played the official marvel one. I think we stayed away from it since it the world was too familiar to a couple of our players.

They were the classic Encyclopdedia Brown types that can quote issue and page numbers for stuff. The most hilarious thing from my point of view is that they had the hardest time coming up with 'original' characters.

Actual conversations(edited for broadcast)

Geek 1 - "Okay, my guy is a large body-builder type with a crew cut. He is super strong and can turn his body into metal."

Me - "Okay, maybe I'm not up on current heroes, but he sounds a lot like Colossus"

Geek 1 - "Not at all. His name is Le Steel"

Me - "whatever"

Geek 2 - "My guy can fly, is super strong, can shoot lasers from his eyes, is a super pacifist and has an extreme weakness to this very rare crystal called Neutronium"(can't recall the actual crystal he came up with)

Me - *sigh* "Alright Supes, what's your name?"

Geek 2 - "He's not Superman!"

Me - "this is gonna be a LONG campaign"

With hindsight, maybe playing the Marvel one would've been better. :P

This is not the path I thought.
This is not the place I sought.
This is not the dream I bought,
just a fever of fate I've caught.
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:18 AM

Manchine has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytefang
Here's the picture of the main rule book for the Marvel Superheroes Game using the SAGA system:

And here's the link to a review of it, though I disagree with a few of the negative comments (and agree with a few others):

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/12/12950.phtml
The Classic one was SO much better.

Free downloads for everyone!

http://www.marvelrpg.net/

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Discussion