Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old January 11th, 2008, 08:38 PM

Guerillinator has disabled reputation
With all the new stuff out, I don't play the wolves as much as I used to, but every once in a while its fun to take them out. In the 600 point games we've been playing I last took 4 sets of wolves w/o Khosumet. I figured an extra three wolves was worth more than the chance that I woull roll a 1 or miss out on an attack boost (I've seen it debated both ways). My basis strategy is that if I roll low on the d-20, I moves wolves up from the back so that once I get a decent roll, I have 3 wolves in position to attack even if 1 has been destroyed on my opponent's last attack. So far it seems like a useful strategy, but it all comes down to the 20 roll. Also, the wolves are great at covering up opponents for a ranged army. One simple combo that only requires you to use three cards in a 600 points game is 3 sets of wolves, and 3 sets of stingers and Kaemon (always useful to have a figure with special attack).

One in a million chances tend to come up nine times out of ten.
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:55 AM

Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerillinator
My basis strategy is that if I roll low on the d-20, I moves wolves up from the back so that once I get a decent roll, I have 3 wolves in position to attack even if 1 has been destroyed on my opponent's last attack.
I just love how the wolves' implementation makes you play with them in such a wolfy way. They stalk and surround their prey, slowly walking around looking for the best possible position and waiting for that high roll ... while the victim sweats it out, never knowing exactly when they are going to strike. Very satisfying.
Old February 28th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Hotdoghead-Molesterface

kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby!
Here's something that I posted a long time ago. I should probably repost these images in this thread.

Those are pictures from an actual game-in-progress. Needless to say there was no more chomping that night. When everything lines up, there are very few other units that can lay down a good old fashion smackdown like the wolves can...
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:12 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjib
Here's something that I posted a long time ago. I should probably repost these images in this thread.

<pics removed>

Those are pictures from an actual game-in-progress. Needless to say there was no more chomping that night. When everything lines up, there are very few other units that can lay down a good old fashion smackdown like the wolves can...
Wow! The dice can definitely have influene over how you view particular units. I had a REALLY poor game with the wolves a while back (D20 was awful) and haven't used them since, as opposed to the wooping I put on an opponent with the Tagawa Samurai recently (crazy skull rolls).

Boston Marathon 4/15/13 3:39:41
Last Race: Naragansett Running Festival 7/21/13 - Half Marathon - 1:50:01
Next Race: KeyBank Vermont Marathon 5/25/14
Old March 1st, 2008, 09:08 AM

Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by darktrooper899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junge Roman
I can just imagine that wolf growing to Underworld proportions and, off-camera, of course, ripping the guts out of that T-Rex.
Similar situation, I killed the Silver Surfer with a wolf that way. Very satisfying, but it sparked all kinds of debate over whether the Power Cosmic would be vulnerable to werewolf magic.

But I still won the game, so that's all that matters...

That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons, even death may die.

Heroes of StarWars 'Scape / North Carolina 'Scapers
Old March 1st, 2008, 05:01 PM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
The wolves are certainly a gamble in most games, as they're D20 dependent, but they're also one of the most fun squads to play in casual games. Will they be Whimpering Puppies or Anubian Terrors? Roll the dice and find out!

I've had these guys running in fear (err, uh, I meant "strategically redeploying") from a full health Charos one moment, to suddenly doing an about-face after a high roll, and in one turn, ripping that dragon to shreds before he knew what hit him!

Thematically, fun to play, and aesthetically-speaking, they look great. they're priced just right, quick-moving, with a respectable defense.

Now if only their chosen "leader" in Khosumet could be polished up a bit, and if they had a ranged-supporting wolf squad, they'd be golden.

OK, I'm now done with my unsolicited wolf-praising.

(come on WotC... give us a leaping wolf-squad and please let those new wolves bond or synergize in some respect to Khosumet....)

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old March 2nd, 2008, 11:29 AM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby! Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby! Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby! Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby! Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotwalker 8000
Thematically, fun to play, and aesthetically-speaking, they look great. they're priced just right, quick-moving, with a respectable defense.
I agree. Any melee with 6 move is decent in my book. The 4 defense helps to bolster their lack of a fourth member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotwalker 8000
I've had these guys running in fear (err, uh, I meant "strategically redeploying") from a full health Charos one moment, to suddenly doing an about-face after a high roll, and in one turn, ripping that dragon to shreds before he knew what hit him!
Great opportunity for the wolves to remedy the Charos situation.
So what are their best attributes in a game? As a Unique hero/squad killer? The random attack value makes them flexible, but also hinders what they can be relied on to accomplish.

Yesterday, I organized several 400-points, 1-2 card common armies in order to let some of my relatives who were at a family gathering try the game.
One of the armies was Khosumet with three Anubian squads.
I organized this army for the fun roll, but knew the Wolves are not the best common-on-common force to draft.
The Fury is fickle and though they get the 4 defense, they're still a three-man melee squad.

For what it's worth: I played my son before the party. He had Venoc Warlord with 7 squads of Venocs. I took the wolves as I knew they wouldn't be very dominating - and they lost as expected.
In another game at the party, The Anubians slaughtered an all-Wulsinu army.
Old October 25th, 2008, 11:03 PM

StarofEarendil knows what's in an order marker StarofEarendil knows what's in an order marker
Re: The Book of Anubian Wolves

I wonder if any of you have come upon this phenomenon.

Last Stand Rage
When the last Anubian wolf standing rolls for Unleashed Fury, he will always for a 1 or a 20, because he's so upset that his comrades have all died.

I've had this happen at least three times. The first time the Wolf was the last of my figures on the board, and I said, "This had better be good!" Immediately rolled a 1.
Later I was playing with them, and after getting down to the last Wolf. I immediately rolled a 20 for Unleashed Fury. I thought,"Great, now I get to kill one...knight...ohhhh..."
One of my opponents in a game last night had the same thing happen.

Contend, O Lord, against those who contend against me;
Fight against those who fight against me. Psalm 35:1
Old October 25th, 2008, 11:23 PM

Sisyphus knows what's in an order marker Sisyphus knows what's in an order marker Sisyphus knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarofEarendil View Post
I wonder if any of you have come upon this phenomenon.

Last Stand Rage
When the last Anubian wolf standing rolls for Unleashed Fury, he will always for a 1 or a 20, because he's so upset that his comrades have all died.

I've had this happen at least three times. The first time the Wolf was the last of my figures on the board, and I said, "This had better be good!" Immediately rolled a 1.
Later I was playing with them, and after getting down to the last Wolf. I immediately rolled a 20 for Unleashed Fury. I thought,"Great, now I get to kill one...knight...ohhhh..."
One of my opponents in a game last night had the same thing happen.
No, but I noticed something very similar. If you don't draft Khosumet with the Anubian wolves you are sure to roll a lot of 1s and a lot of 19s.
Old October 26th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

I've noticed that too. If I draft Khosumet I always roll lower numbers with the exceptional 20 but never a 1. If I don't have Khosumet I'll see a 1 every other time I roll. I just don't understand it.
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:19 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

I'm not sure that playing these guys with the Wolves of Badru is the right play. Yes, they're Hero killers and the WoB are squad killers, but the WoB need some ranged support if you ask me. A Relentess ranged squad is what the WoB need.

As for the Anubians, I'm not really sure what they play well with. To me, they're a lot like the Dzu-Teh or Obsidian Guards - strong, 3 member melee squad with little to no synergy offered by other units. Two squads of them provides a decent, durable hero-killing force I suppose.... I'll have to ponder that.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old December 27th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Just got these guys for Christmas and boy do I love them. First roll was a 20 and they put the smack down on Charos. I'm trying to fit them in a good army, but I'm having some problems with the last 80 pts (for 500) or 100 (for 520).
Anubians x3 225
Sonya 270
Cyprien 420
???? 500/520

I tried Deathreavers, but I wonder if there is something better.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Official Units