Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old November 6th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
You could play teams, 2v2. I did that once, when I was teaching it. Teammates end up hitting each other accidentally, it's not bad.
Heh, we are playing 1v1. The game has no issues being interesting enough when played with 3+ players.
Yeah, the game's intended for 3+ players. It's meh with 2 players.
Old November 6th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I meant each player controls 2 monsters.

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =
Old November 6th, 2014, 12:53 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I meant each player controls 2 monsters.
Oh! I'll suggest that to her. The turns would be staggered, right?

Your custom probably has too much Defense.

--

A Child of the Risen Lord
--
Oklahoma HS Events - Colorado HS Events
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Maps Customs Trades
Old November 6th, 2014, 12:55 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

You can. The constant possibility of friendly fire is an important part of the game when you play that way. It's not as good as playing with 4, though. Of course.

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =
Old November 7th, 2014, 02:22 AM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Yesterday my KS for Paranormal Investigation arrived & I was able to get a quick game in with my twins before school this morning. I like it. It's a quick filler game & the theme fits the mechanics nicely. There is some nice player interactivity as each player has a different objective but you know what it is so you know the ways to stop them but you could be jeopardising your opportunity for victory. It could replace Love Letter for us as the go-to quick game. Only time will tell.

Off to club night tonight .
Old November 7th, 2014, 07:52 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Looks cool A3n, I'll have to look into that. Neat that you can your twins can get a game in before school. My twin girls get up at 6am and are off to school at 6:45am and are dragging ass for the first 20 minutes and busy getting ready for school in the second 20 minutes. No time or mood for gaming from them

Have fun at game club tonight!

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old November 7th, 2014, 09:06 AM

chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun

Just a quick note, being low tech, and not knowing how to provide a link, or if that's appropriate anyhow:

A while upthread I mentioned that I had supported my very first Kickstarter offering on the new Age of Conan Expansion, which has been very successful so far. It was funded in 75 minutes, being a resurrection of the game by the original designers, who have been quite successful lately with War of the Ring, Battle of Five Armies, etc. With only 60 hours to go, anyone interested might want to check it out and get on board. You have an option to get a copy of the original if you don't have it already as I do, and get the expansion as well. If all goes well, a Second Expansion may also be launched by Aries Games, with the original ideas that were planned way back when. The original game can still be found for very low prices here and there as well!
Old November 7th, 2014, 09:48 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth

Can those of you who have played Age of Conan tell me what it's like?

Your custom probably has too much Defense.

--

A Child of the Risen Lord
--
Oklahoma HS Events - Colorado HS Events
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Maps Customs Trades
Old November 7th, 2014, 10:49 AM

chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun

its a 2-4 player in which you take one of the four nations. Invaders have the interesting choice of taking over an area by diplomacy or by military conquest, with different advantages and disadvantages. Besides armies, you have emissaries ranging the board. You can even defend a neutral area against the military thrust of another player with your own forces. Meanwhile, an NPC Conan is adventuring around the board, controlled by a changing player (via a bid mechanism) who can use him to help out his own military ventures occasionally, and get victory tokens while performing as Conan as well. Eventually an alternate to VPs is to crown Conan as your king, but he's very temperamental!

There are Gold and Magic tokens to be collected and spent, and 'Crom Count the Dead' tokens, which give you VPs for 'Crushing your enemies, and hearing the lamentation of their women.' Each nation has a different deck of special cards to help out with various types of bonuses and special powers. Very lovely custom dice of two types dictate not only battle results, but which types of actions are permitted in each round of die rolls. As each player chooses one, your options become more restricted. Its one of several unique rules that work well, but take a while to get, so there is a learning curve, but its not too painful. General use cards allow you to choose how you will play them for alternate uses, so you always have interesting decisions to make.

Age of Conan is pleasingly barbaric, er I mean, thematic in theme and graphics, and little plastic buildings which stack by locking onto each other. All of the graphics and components are excellent, as its a modern game by FFG. You get lots of minis (each player gets a different color and sculpt), counters, markers, a beautiful area movement board ('historically' accurate, as its officially licensed from the Robert E. Howard Estate) and other cool stuff. Check out its page on BGG as well.

The fan who has made the most variants last year for the game is now having some of his ideas incorporated in the new expansion, some offered as Stretch Goals, so you can see that the designers love this game and their fans. The rules are in the Files section I think, and the Alpha rules for the Expansion have just been made available to us Kickstarter backers; I expect they'll be on BGG soon as well.

Many of us love the game. The main negative was that Conan's role was too small; that is just what is being addressed now in the expansion which adds his 'career' development, moods, companions, and other details, as well as more strategic components and rules.

Last edited by chas; November 7th, 2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old November 7th, 2014, 05:51 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Great night last night.

First we played Africa. Not a bad game & I would play it again. It would've helped if the teacher remembered all the rules correctly from the start of the game as I think that would've made it a little more cut-throat.

Then we played Funny Friends - same designer as Power Grid. This is a hilarious game made fun by the interactions. Not a kid appropriate game. My objectives were Celibacy, Single [happy], Loser Club (which pictured guys playing board games ), Game Designer, who Stops Smoking. I achieved the last 3 but struggled being celibate & single . There was a lot of homosexual relations happening, & some wild parties.
As a pubescent teen I was Unlucky in love, frequented the Black market all the while I would Pass a joint.
Later in life I would Sell body to science, frequent the Book club, partied pretty hard at the First semester party before going on a World trip that led to my Student job. All the while I was struggling to find my religion until I went to a Church meeting.
Great social game .

Then we played Nightfall. Not a bad deck-builder. Player turns can be a little confusing & you don't get a great opportunity to build up a deck. It has small similarities in mechanics to Star Realms (mind you I have only played SR as the app), but I think I would prefer Star Realms if only you could play it with 5 people. I did come away with a win here though.
Old November 7th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
Great night last night.

Then we played Funny Friends - same designer as Power Grid. This is a hilarious game made fun by the interactions. Not a kid appropriate game. My objectives were Celibacy, Single [happy], Loser Club (which pictured guys playing board games ), Game Designer, who Stops Smoking. I achieved the last 3 but struggled being celibate & single . There was a lot of homosexual relations happening, & some wild parties.
As a pubescent teen I was Unlucky in love, frequented the Black market all the while I would Pass a joint.
Later in life I would Sell body to science, frequent the Book club, partied pretty hard at the First semester party before going on a World trip that led to my Student job. All the while I was struggling to find my religion until I went to a Church meeting.
Great social game .

That's funny A3n, Funny Friends was just mentioned on our group's game night recap geeklist on Boardgamegeek.com. Essentially, while playing a game on Monday called Argent: The Consortium that my friend Jesse got from Level99 Games to review (before KS backers got it). Jessey did a mid-game and end of game video. Well at the beginning of the end of game it was mentioned that Scott won and I gave a weak clap (after another guy not in the picture started to clap), followed by me having both my hands together clasped and kind of resting my cheek on them (I was tired and I think trying to lean out of the way since Jesse was talking to Scott, but I was in the vid). So for a few moments of that video I kind of looked not as masculine as I'd like shall we say.

Anyway, the video was posted on our geeklist and my friend Brian commented, "Nice pose Greg". To which I replied, "I knew you'd like it." To which he replied, "Remember Funny Friends?" To which I replied, "Quite!".

Brian and I had played Funny Friends over a year ago with some others in our group and Brian and I ended up being in a "relationship" shall I say as part of the game. As you mentioned A3n, it's not kid appropriate, but funny as heck.

The same designer also did a fun game called Fearsome Floors

Last edited by Hahma; November 8th, 2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old November 8th, 2014, 12:28 PM
Prickly Cactus

Played a solo game of Suburbia this morning and scored 133 points to earn the title Principal Architect, which is second highest title. I was only 2 points away from the highest title.

Really like this game. It has 2 different solo rules and plays great with up to 4 players as well.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games