Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old February 7th, 2009, 02:49 AM

Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker
Help with Sujoah/Spiders/Zelrig army fillers.

I know this is not going to be the most competitive army in the world, but it pleases me oh-so-much. Anyway- I have a pretty specific question that I'd like feedback on.

525 point limit.

Sujoah 185
Spiders x3 305
Zelrig 490

This leaves me 35 points left to work with. How I wish I could have five more points for one more squad of spiders... but oh well. I unfortunately do not have any of the 10pt figures. This leaves these as my options for the last 35 points:

Dumtef Guard (25pts)
Obviously he isn't going to win or lose a game, but the 4 atk/4 def could be much worse.

Marrden Nagrubs (30pts)
Basically three more interceptors to tie up engagements, but without the wonderful spiderweb ability.

Marcu Esenwein (20pts)
I love Marcu- he just leaves so many points vacant.

I'm not looking to change the Sujoah/Spiders x3/Zelrig mix, I'm really pleased with them. I really could just use some advice on which of the three final "filler" options would work out the best. Keep in mind those are the only three options in my collection. Hopefully I'll get around to getting the 10 pointers before the next tournament, but just for in the meantime.

Please and thank you very much.
Old February 7th, 2009, 03:00 AM

Thorgrim has disabled reputation
Re: Help with Sujoah/Spiders/Zelrig army fillers.

Guilty! Guilty is amazing. If not, you could take Eldrim, but neither heroes needs a speed boost. Assuming you don't own them, I'd go for Marcu. He'd likely be more useful, as you already have glyph grabbers if you need them. If you got him, Isamu would be a good add in.

Great army! I like the combo of a squad killer and a hero killer. Watch out for Unique Squads!
Old February 7th, 2009, 03:04 AM

Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker

Yeah, the three options I have listed are the only options for me at this point, don't have any of those other ones.

Thank you for your input, I'm feeling Marcu is probably the best choice too; I just want to see what people think. I'm sure I'll get an Isamu before the next tournament comes around; I'm just playing some games this weekend and these are my only immediate options.
Old February 7th, 2009, 03:22 AM

Thorgrim has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melwing17 View Post
Yeah, the three options I have listed are the only options for me at this point, don't have any of those other ones.

Thank you for your input, I'm feeling Marcu is probably the best choice too; I just want to see what people think. I'm sure I'll get an Isamu before the next tournament comes around; I'm just playing some games this weekend and these are my only immediate options.
How does this combo work for you? It seems really cool!
Old February 7th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I think I'd take the Dumutef Guard. He's immune to Braxas and Grimnak, which is nice, but the 5/5 on a road could be fearsome. You can also use him without the fear that he will do something unfortunate to either Zelrig or Sujoah.

~Aldin, relentlessly

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old February 7th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I don't have much use for the Dumutef Guard. I've tried to use him, but he just vanishes in a puff of smoke every time.

If this were my army, Guilty would by my No. 1 choice with Marcu/Isamu at No. 2. If the game is close and the matchup goes your way, like Guilty vs. melee or Isamu vs. Jandar, they can decide the outcome. I've never seen a Dumutef do that.
Old February 7th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

rdhight,

Read the posts and responses.

~Aldin, sticking with the Dumutef of the three available options

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old February 7th, 2009, 01:13 PM

I have a Heroes of Elswin (for Isamu) on order now.

In the meantime, I think Dumutef is the best option. Marcu is just so fragile, and you're right Aldin- he's is a risk not just to dud on you, but to literally hurt you.
Old February 7th, 2009, 01:32 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Of the three options - I'm probably siding with the Dumutef. Besides maybe Defense +1, this army doesn't need many glyphs, so Marcu is kinda worthless. Nagrubs.... blah.

Just my two cents - The army would be much better if you dropped Zelrig for Q9 and added another squad of Spiders IMO (I realize you're going for fun factor here, but just thought I'd throw it out there)

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Last edited by killercactus; February 7th, 2009 at 01:34 PM. Reason: I could've sword Guilty was up there as an option.... oh well
Old February 7th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I'm Heroscape's Birthbuddy

Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby!

Of the three, the Dumutef Guard looks like the best choice, for all the reasons Aldin pointed out.
However, for 30 points, Guilty or Eldgrim would be the way to go. If this just so happened to be for an event that I just so happened to also be at, you could potentially borrow either one (although I'm pretty sure that at least Eldgrim would be taken already).
Old February 7th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
rdhight,

Read the posts and responses.

~Aldin, sticking with the Dumutef of the three available options
I did read the posts and responses. I'm trying to say Marcu is the best choice he has available.
Old February 8th, 2009, 02:33 AM

Thank you very much for the responses- even the ones suggesting figures outside of what I currently have. Any information is good information.

So I just did my first playthrough with the army. Pretty sleepy so sorry if this post doesn't make a large amount of sense. zzzzzzzzz.

Sujoah
Spiders x3
Zelrig
Dumutef

... and I've gotta say- what a blast! I did play against "myself". I picked an all-Valiant army for my opponent:

4th Mass Line x2
Sgt. Drake SotM
Sir Gilbert
Sir Denrick

I placed all 3 order markers on Zelrig in the first round. My 'opponent' (as the valiant army will be called from now on) won initiative, though- and with their first marker on the 4th line- they spread out a bit to get the 4th line as non-adjacent to themselves as possible (to avoid Zelrig's special).

Zelrig still did his job pretty well though- I think he took out five 4th liners and put 2 wounds on Denrick in just the first round. The numbers are probably off a bit- I'm way tired. But he did good. He (Zelrig) did get shot down in the 2nd round, I believe. May have not evened out his point total- but getting all those 4th liners out of the way was really nice, no matter the points.

The rest of the game was of course order markers on the spiders, who did a fantastic job of holding up Drake and Gilbert in the backfield... Drake eventually broke through and did end up getting engaged with Sujoah (and three spiders). Eventually Sujoah did fall- but the spiders took him down eventually.

I had two spiders and the Dumutef still in their starting positions (and three spiders still alive in the field). And I didn't use a proxy of Isamu- so I was short on points, too.

I think I might take rdhight's advice and trying subbing in Marcu instead, since the Dumutef wasn't even used. The flying might come in handy.... at the very least, and very situationally- I could fly him into the middle of some enemies, making them adjacent, and target Marcu with Zelrig's special <evil laugh>.

Gonna reset the board... if I don't fall asleep I'll play a game with Marcu/without the Dumutef. And maybe a proxy of Isamu.

Last edited by Melwing17; February 8th, 2009 at 03:55 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion