Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:38 PM

elf326 is surprisingly tart
What to buy? (Board Games)

I have recently become obsessed with games other than HS.

The games I have in my collection with my new sense of board gaming are:

Settlers of Catan
Axis and Allies
Starcraft the Boardgame
Zombie Plague

I am interested in a few games. It'd really help if you could tell me how each game is if you've played it and if one is better than another. Also, if you know of a must have game for a board game collection, you might list that too.: (all are board games, btw)

Railroad Tycoon

Carcassonne

Last Night on Earth

Descent: Journeys in the Dark

BattleLore

Nexus Ops

War of the Ring

Agricola
Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:44 PM

King's Knight knows what's in an order marker King's Knight knows what's in an order marker
If you can get enough people (4+) who have plenty of patience, Twilight Imperium 3rd and it's expansion is one of our favorites.

Not exactly a board game, Politico is one we've had a lot of fun with.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 07:08 PM

Dreaded Gazebo has disabled reputation
Re: What to buy? (Board Games)

Railroad Tycoon

Fun game, but challenging and if you fall behind there's a good chance you're in serious trouble. Lots of interesting decisions to be made though and figuring out good ways to pick up the various goods is fun. I think I've only ever played it with 5 or 6 so I can't comment on how it is with fewer, but my gut feeling is that the game probably doesn't work well with 3 and 4 might even be pushing it.

Carcassonne

Great little game. It has a visual and tactile aspect that easily draws people in. The tiles look cool and the puzzle-like nature hooks people. I'd suggest checking out Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers. It's a standalone game so it doesn't require the original. It doesn't have any expansions and doesn't support expansions for the original but I think it's just a little bit easier to teach and it builds a tighter map.

Last Night on Earth

I've only played this a couple of times and we played a rule wrong so I can't fully comment on it. The game certainly nails the zombie theme so if that appeals to you then check it out. Seems like there's enough going on to keep the game fresh and they can easily add more expansions so hopefully it'll have a long life. From what I understand it's the best zombie board game.

For something similar, check out Betrayal at House on the Hill. It's a cooperative game where players explore a haunted house but at some point one person turns and tries to kill the rest. The game has some balance issues but darned if it isn't a lot of fun. Plus it comes with 50 scenarios so it'll take awhile to see them all.

Descent: Journeys in the Dark

A personal favorite but the game is a beast. It puts a group of adventurers controlled by one or more players up against the overlord player who controls all the monsters and bad things that happen in the dungeon. The amount of "stuff" that comes with the game is nearly unrivaled and the modular tiles gives you lots of freedom if you want to build your own scenarios.

The game takes awhile to play though... plan a solid 4-6 hours to get through a medium length adventure. Plays best with 4 or 5, if you have less then people will really need to control multiple heroes each. Not that big of a deal once they're familiar with the game but can be challenging for learning purposes.

There are lots of things I'd love to change about the game but it nails the dungeon crawler theme. Heroes wade through waves of enemies to try and complete the adventure while the overlord tosses everything they have to stop them. Two expansions add more "stuff" and the upcoming campaign expansion looks to completely change how the game is played.

BattleLore

Fantastic two player game. Also plays quick, most matches will be done in in an hour or so. Cool figures and the card command system is really clever. It's a game of tactics and hand management as you try to make the best moves you can with the limited choices you have.

If you like fantasy then this is the way to go for two players. However, I think Command and Colors: Ancients (by the same designer) is the better of the two games. They both use a very similar combat and command system but I think C&C:A's rules offer up more strategy and tactics.

Nexus Ops

Another personal favorite and the closest thing I've found to a board game playing like a video game. Nexus Ops is really a RTS in board game form. You'll stake claims on resources, generate money, build units and storm your enemies. It's pretty simple and seriously fun. The victory point system for completing objective cards means that anyone is capable of scoring points and I've seen some great comebacks. Also, the game is extremely fast-paced... if you're not attacking someone you are probably doing something wrong. You can also finish a game in an hour or two (depending on the number of players) so it doesn't require too much of a time commitment.

While there are other sci-fi games that may be "better" because of the detail they go into (Twilight Imperium 3rd ed. for example) but for the cost and short play time I think it's a game everyone who likes war games should own.

War of the Ring

Only played once and I got whooped up pretty bad so I can't comment too much. Certainly nails the Lord of the Rings theme and there's a lot of depth here but it's another long one. As cool as the game is, my initial feeling is that for two players you may be better off with Battlelore or Command & Color: Ancients as they have shorter play times, and for more players something like Nexus Ops might go over better. If you and your friends are big Lord of the Rings fans, though, this might keep you busy for a long time.

Agricola

Haven't played, no comment. In all honesty I almost have a hard time believing it's as good as the BGG hype makes it sound.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 07:12 PM

Dreaded Gazebo has disabled reputation
Oh, and some other games I might suggest you check out are:

Shogun - One of my favorites from the past year or so. Fantastic, tense area control game with just the right amount of war tossed in. Plus the cube tower rocks.

Ra - The auction game for non-auction fans. It's less about evaluating something's worth and more about putting the tough decisions on the other players. Fantastic game.

Kingdoms - Really simple tile-laying game. Yeah, it's pretty much just a bunch of addition, subtraction and multiplication but the games get really cutthroat and evil in a fun way

For Sale - The ultimate filler game. I think it's one that pretty much every gamer should own.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:10 PM

hesh has disabled reputation
How could Dreaded Gazebo not mention Munchkin. I know, I know, it isn't a board game, but a great deal on fun anyway.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:15 PM

KingZombie is surprisingly tart
Last Night on Earth

It has zombies.... it's alot of fun....oh... and did I mention it has zombies?

But seriously, a fun game. I really enjoyed it. A bit pricey.... but high quality parts.

Work hard, play harder!
Great traders: beholderthedm,mecha frog, Shoe
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:54 PM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Great reviews, Dreaded Gazebo!

Ticket to Ride is another big title that hasn't been mentioned. I think of Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, and Ticket to Ride as the Triumvirate of intro games. These three are the big gateway drugs.

Hollywood Blockbuster is my favorite auction game. Basically you're trying to complete films and you have to outbid your opponents for talented actors, directors, etc.

If you like Carcassonne, then you may also enjoy Metro or Taluva, both of which employ a tile-laying mechanic.

I'll also put in a plug for Last Night On Earth, which is hands-down the best Zombie game out there. Also, if you can find a copy of Betrayal at House on the Hill, buy it. It's out of print. Actually, almost all of the non-Axis & Allies titles released under the Avalon Hill label are being discontinued (including Nexus Ops, which I see is on your list), so if you come across any you think you may want you should probably go ahead and buy them.

Finally, I'll put in a plug for 1960: The Making of the President. I just got this game a couple of weeks ago and it's my current favorite. It's a two player game: you play either the Nixon or Kennedy campaign in the 1960 election and battle for control of states on a 1960 electoral college map of the US. It's a great one to have on hand for this election year!
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingZombie
Last Night on Earth

But seriously, a fun game. I really enjoyed it. A bit pricey.... but high quality parts.
Is there a store to get it in?

Btw, thanks for all the results so far everyone.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:56 PM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
Here's a thread all about board games. http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=15223

Here's a thread about trading games, what some of us want and what some of us are willing to trade: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=14452

Heroscape has actually gotten me involved in the larger world of boardgames. I've bought Last Night on Earth (Triple-A-Plus), Munchkin, Vegas Showdown (surprisingly good game), Colosseum, Tsuro (nice filler game for lots of people), Ticket to Ride (a good Monopoly replacement), and I've got a lot of games I'm hoping to buy soon, like Race for the Galaxy, Galaxy Trucker, Ca$h n Gun$, Metro, and more that I can't recall right now.

Environmentalists make great compost.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elstree
Actually, almost all of the non-Axis & Allies titles released under the Avalon Hill label are being discontinued (including Nexus Ops, which I see is on your list)
Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:06 PM

KingZombie is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by elf326
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingZombie
Last Night on Earth

Is there a store to get it in?

Btw, thanks for all the results so far everyone.

Well...not to give myself a shameless plug... but i have it on my website with other zombie goodness to boot.
Follow the link in my signature.

Work hard, play harder!
Great traders: beholderthedm,mecha frog, Shoe
Old January 24th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Admin & Site Supporter

mrbistro knows what's in an order marker mrbistro knows what's in an order marker mrbistro knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by King's Knight
If you can get enough people (4+) who have plenty of patience, Twilight Imperium 3rd and it's expansion is one of our favorites.
This is quickly becoming one of my favorite games of all time.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games