Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:58 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth
Greater Than The Sum Of Its Parts: A 450pt Army Challenge

I'm on the NESA team for TempleCon this weekend and one of the things we'll be doing is teaching new players. I'm not exactly sure what this involves at the moment, but probably 450pts and Nyys's super-secret super-awesome display map. Anyway, this post isn't directly about that, but about army building ideas that arose from it.

Against a new player I'd much rather play a crappy army to the best of my ability than ease off and not try my hardest. Obviously, taking Q9/Raelin/Rats and obliterating the new player won't do much to get him/her hooked and may even stop being fun for me after the first twenty or so games.

On the other hand, I have no urge to play armies where the units are crippled. I like seeing the units perform to the best of their abilities. For example, I have no interest in playing Iskra without the Rechets (and even less in playing the Rechets without Iskra). For tournament armies I enjoy taking less powerful units and trying to build them into a tournament-worthy army. I now want to do the same thing, but one rung down the ladder. I'm looking to take a bunch of C and D grade units and mold them into a B- level army.

In short I want 450pt armies that work as armies and let units shine, while not being very competitive. Here are my first thoughts:

1. Do Soulborgs Dream Of Electric Yeti?
Deathwalker 9000: 140
Zettian Guards: 70
Warden 816: 90
Dzu-Teh x2: 150

Total: 450pts, 10 hexes.

The Dzu-Teh act as bodyguards against high-attack melee figures getting at DW9K/Zettians (idea stolen from killercactus and his Obsidian Guard theories) while they do most of the attacking. Warden 816 cleans up.

2. So You Think You're Special?
Morsbane: 100
Nakita Agents: 120
Deathwalker 8000: 130
Warriors of Ashra x2: 100

Total: 450pts, 11 hexes.

Morsbane negates the opponent's specials increasing the value of the Nakitas and WoA. The Nakitas also stick close to DW8K to smoke-powder and engagement-strike potential threats and protect that glass jaw.

3. Monastic Drudgery
Shaolin Monks x3: 240
Marro Drudge x4: 200

Total: 440pts, 21 hexes.

Nothing fancy here. Large numbers of commons; half melee, half range. Works well as an army build it's just that these units are not the best at the jobs.

So, what would you use?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion