Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old November 15th, 2007, 11:28 AM

Anthony has disabled reputation
How to actually finish a game?

I am distraught.

This is my first post on this forum, but my brother and I have been playing "Heroscape" for two years, ever since our power was out for a month after a hurricane (Alabama Power Company....you guys suck.) and we thought it could make a temperary substitue for our beloved video games. It turned out to be much greater than we expected and soon our copy of Halo 2 was sitting on a bookshelf gathering dust as we continued to buy new expansions and play long after our electricity was restored.

One of his friends also plays the game, so sometimes we'll do one-on-one or one-on-two games with him.

My brother and I started our current game A WEEK AGO and have not touched it since. It took me hours to set up this elaborate map and scenario, and this is quite dissapointing to me. He just does not want to finish the game--he's never "in the mood right now."

Maybe it's because we recently got Halo 3, maybe it's because he's genuinely tired of "Heroscape," or maybe it's because he's losing (I've taken out four of his units, and he's only landed a single hit on one of mine.) In any case, this is very frustrating--especially as we play on the floor and people keep stepping on it.

THIS IS AN AWSOME SIGNITURE
Old November 15th, 2007, 11:33 AM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I think the problem with big maps and armies is that sometimes you really feel like not wanting to finish the game. Sometimes we play 1200 point armies and it's fun for the first hour, but quickly dies down. My suggestion is to create a couple of smaller maps and pump out some quick 400-600 point games. It keeps it fresh.

This is assuming you are playing big maps and big points Of course if this isn't the case then just ignore my ramblings.
Old November 15th, 2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprising
I think the problem with big maps and armies is that sometimes you really feel like not wanting to finish the game. Sometimes we play 1200 point armies and it's fun for the first hour, but quickly dies down. My suggestion is to create a couple of smaller maps and pump out some quick 400-600 point games. It keeps it fresh.

This is assuming you are playing big maps and big points Of course if this isn't the case then just ignore my ramblings.
I've got 700 points and he's got 600 points. (I get more because he has the strategic advantage of starting out on a hilltop and basically having control of the Ruined Warehouse thing.)

I think the map may have been too big, though.....the first round of the game, none of our units even made contact, they were just busy getting in range.....

Maybe I'll just rebuild the map on a smaller scale...

Old November 15th, 2007, 12:35 PM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
I think a lot of people discover that bigger isn't necessarily better when it comes to HS. Sure, it looks pretty, but playing on a huge map, with huge armies, gets tedious.

Environmentalists make great compost.
Old November 15th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Welcome to the boards, Anthony!

On behalf of our piano tuning and interest guessing community I extend to you a laurel and a hearty handshake.

As a new member, you can begin your journey on the path to the fellowship, praise and respect of your Heroscapers peers by checking out this announcement: http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=6970

~Aldin, who likes small maps

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old November 15th, 2007, 01:16 PM

Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby!
If your game goes beyond an hour and a half...it gets tiring and tiring and boring and boring by the minute.

Maybe you should narrow your army points to 400-600?

Old November 15th, 2007, 01:45 PM
has been BANNED

The Super Atheist is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I'm sorry people, but I can't stand to play low point games. I must play 1000 points.

I play 1000 points so when I have a good idea for an army I have some elbow room, and i'm not restricted nearly as much as with 500-600 point armies.

I don't get bored with heroscape. I could play it all day if I could. I would LOVE to play one long, stay up all night 24-hour battle on some absurdly large map.
Old November 15th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
People who play 1000 point armies don't have time to think of a 500 point army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old November 15th, 2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Super Atheist
I'm sorry people, but I can't stand to play low point games. I must play 1000 points.

I play 1000 points so when I have a good idea for an army I have some elbow room, and i'm not restricted nearly as much as with 500-600 point armies.

I don't get bored with heroscape. I could play it all day if I could.
Not to mention that once you have the Marvel Superhero expansion, 300 points = 1 guy.

Old November 15th, 2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin
Welcome to the boards, Anthony!

On behalf of our piano tuning and interest guessing community I extend to you a laurel and a hearty handshake.

As a new member, you can begin your journey on the path to the fellowship, praise and respect of your Heroscapers peers by checking out this announcement: http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=6970

~Aldin, who likes small maps
Yay, now I feel like a happy person.

Old November 15th, 2007, 01:51 PM
has been BANNED

The Super Atheist is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I just come up with an idea for an army, collect the cards, and find out that it is like 110 points or so over 500. It's dissapointing, and that is why I play 1000 points.
Old November 15th, 2007, 02:40 PM

DeadZa has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Super Atheist
I just come up with an idea for an army, collect the cards, and find out that it is like 110 points or so over 500. It's dissapointing, and that is why I play 1000 points.
500pt armies require a lot of heavy choice of what unit is best and what unit fits your theme or idea. I just think the bigger the game the more tedious and it's no different than each playing 2 500pt armies usually as you can't even use a third of your units.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion