Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old June 21st, 2008, 10:23 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth
Ollie's Maps. New map 12/1/11.

As you probably guessed from the title, this is a thread for my maps. I'll use this first post as a table of contents and put more chatter about the maps themselves in the body of the thread.

Halo Of Ashes

Theme song by Screaming Trees.

Two players, 400--600pt armies, 24-hex start zones, two random glyphs (optional), kill 'em all.
Required sets: SotM x1, VW x2, TJ x1.

Peace In The Valley

Theme song by Alabama 3 [Warning: link contains some cheerful profanity towards the end. Do not click if this will offend you (or your parents, if you have to worry about such things)].

Two players, 400-600pt armies, 24-hex start zones with a twist: each player must place at least two figures in the "negotiation zone" at the centre of the board (the negotiations fail, by the way, unless you're looking for a very short game). Two optional random glyphs.
Required sets: RotV x1, Marvel x1, RttFF x1.

Welcome To The Jungle

Theme song by Guns 'n' Roses.

Nothing fancy, just a straightforward fight to the death to check out the new jungle terrain. Two players, 400-600 point armies, 24-hex starting zones, no glyphs, kill 'em all.
Required sets: SotM x1, TJ x1.

Run To The Hills

Theme Song by Iron Maiden.

Two players, 500--800 points, 30-hex start zones, two random glyphs, kill 'em all.
Required sets: RotV x2, TJ x1.

Caught in the Middle v2.0

Theme song by Cerys Matthews.

Two players, 400--600 points, 24 hex start zones, two random glyphs, normal snow and ice, kill 'em all.
Required sets: RotV x1, TT x1.

Nuns Fret Not

Theme sonnet by William Wordsworth.

Two players, 400--600 points, 24 hex start zones, two random glyphs, kill 'em all.
Required sets: RotV x1.

The Curse of Ticalla

Theme song by Terrorvision.

Two players, 400--600 points, 24 hex start zones, five (yes, five) Glyphs of Mitonsoul, kill 'em all.
Required sets: SotM x1, TJ x2.

Halfway Up The Downs v2.3

Theme Song by Three Colours Red (OK, the link is a different (and better) song by the same band. For some reason youtube seems not to be completely up to date with album tracks from second rate British rock bands of the 1990s. Shocking.)

Two players, 400--600 points, 24 hex start zones, kill 'em all.
Required sets: RotV x1, SotM x1, RttFF x1.

Fists Of Fury

Theme song by Terrorvision.

Two players, 400-600 point armies, 24 hex start zones, one random glyph and two Glyphs of Oreld (optional), kill 'em all.
Required Sets: SotM x1, an additional Marro Hive, and the pillars from FotA. Given SotM x2 and FotA x1 you can build both this map and Gamebear's Embattled Fen.

Inbetweener v1.1

Theme song by Sleeper.

Two players, 400-600 point armies, 24 hex start zones, kill 'em all.
Required Sets: RotV x1, Lava x2.

Hot Love Now

Theme song by The Wonder Stuff

Two players, 400-600 point armies, one fixed glyph (Astrid), 24 hex start zones, kill 'em all.
Required Sets: RotV x1, Lava x1.

Ruff Stuff

Theme song by Gomez.

Two players, 400-600 point armies, 24 hex start zones, kill 'em all. Heavy snow, slippery ice.
Required Sets: SotM, BftU, Lava, RttFF, TT, Jungle.

Mole Hills: Hellbound (a mod of Jonathan's original Mole Hills).

Theme song by The Breeders.

Two players, 400-600 point armies, 24 hex start zones, two optional glyphs, kill 'em all.
Required sets: RotV, BftU (shadow tiles only), RttFF (small trees only), Lava x2.

Better Get Ready For A Fist Fight

Theme song by The Wonder Stuff (I couldn't find the actual track so the link is the title track from the album it's on).

Two players, 24-hex startzones, 400-600pts, two random glyphs, kill 'em all.
Required Sets: BftU, SotM, FotA. (Note for symmetry freaks: you can switch out the rock outcrops for a spare hive if you have one.)

Snowblind

Theme song by Black Sabbath

Two players, 24-hex startzones, 400-600pts, two random glyphs, normal snow, slippery ice, kill 'em all.
Required Sets: Tundra x3.

Last edited by ollie; December 1st, 2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: New map.
Old June 21st, 2008, 10:25 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth
Re: Ollie's Maps

Halo Of Ashes

Two players, 400--600pt armies, 24-hex start zones, two random glyphs (optional), kill 'em all.
Required sets: SotM x1, VW x2, TJ x1.

My first map!

After some intial doubts, the lava set has become possibly my favourite expansion. When I want to set-up a map that has some terrain interest, Fire Isles and Hot Heights are the ones that come immediately to mind. I love the way the lava and the swamp tiles look together, even if it is not the most geologically plausible arrangement. When it comes to Heroscape we're already suspending enough disbelief that a little geological incorrectness isn't a problem, right?

I started building the map with a Marvel set involved as well, because the black of the asphalt also works well with lava/swamp (see Hot Bog for example). However, it quickly got unwieldy so I cut back.

I want the Marro Drudge to see a bit more action---they're one of the least used of the recently released figures in my house. This map gives them plenty of tunneling options, including some not on the lowest level, and much of the swamp water is adjacent to the new jungle trees/brush. I guess this means the Microcorp should shine too.

Any feedback---good or bad---will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ollie; June 21st, 2008 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Added links to the other maps I mentioned
Old June 21st, 2008, 12:31 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thats a really cool map, but It uses a aweful lot, let me check my plan for maps, to see if I can fit it in my Tournament.

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old June 21st, 2008, 12:52 PM
I'm Heroscape's Birthbuddy

Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby!

It looks great to me, I only wish I could play it (only 1 VW). The combination of swamp, jungle, and lava looks great color-wise and kind of has a "tropical island" feel to it. The option of using the trees in the middle for extra defense against ranged units on lava-height will make for some interesting strategic choices, I imagine.
Old June 21st, 2008, 02:20 PM
All growed up

Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The pic is a little dark, but it looks cool. A bubbling pool of swamp in the center, very cool. Reminds me of primorial ooze.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:09 PM
Is a Quadradical

I've tried to make the picture for Halo Of Ashes clearer in the first post. Any better? Thanks for the comments!

Here's Map 2:

Peace In The Valley

400-600pt armies, 24-hex start zones with a twist: each player must place at least two figures in the "negotiation zone" at the centre of the board (the negotiations fail, by the way, unless you're looking for a very short game). Two optional random glyphs.
Required sets: RotV x1, Marvel x1, RttFF x1.

I created this map entirely in virtualscape, and I don't think I'm as happy with it as I am with Halo Of Ashes. I really struggled (and, I think, failed) to get the trees positioned to both look good and be strategically relevant.

However, I am quite pleased with the "negotiation zone" bit. Instant action from the first, with a whole lot depending on the first initiative roll. Not something I'd want every game, but should be fast and fun as an occasional twist. Who would you place up there? I like the following:

1. KoW x3 and Alistair
2. Charos
3. Rats x3 and Moriko

It seems like a good opportunity to get some heavy melee figures right into the fight.
Old June 24th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Is a Quadradical

Third map. This mapmaking is addictive

Welcome To The Jungle

Nothing fancy, just a straightforward fight to the death to check out the new jungle terrain. 400-600 point armies, 24-hex starting zones, no glyphs, kill 'em all.
Required sets: SotM x1, TJ x1.

I've always found single SotM maps too small for "normal" sized armies. With the very little additional land added by the jungle set I wasn't expecting that to change. I was pleasantly surprised. This map came together without feeling cramped and is small but not uncomfortably so.

It's another drudge-friendly map (a "drudge-nudger"?) and there are two of the highest points on the map deliberately placed adjacent to trees. I think they'll be desirable spots, but that being on the edge they won't overpowering for the first player to take one or both of them.

As always, feedback very welcome.
Old June 24th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Online HS League Champion

Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Ollie's Maps. New Map Added 6/24/08.

Nice maps! I also like the way that the lava looks with the swamp. I think the VW gets a bad rep sometimes. Adding the lava to the map always makes things interesting for me.
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:53 PM

Trueroman is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: Ollie's Maps. New Map Added 6/24/08.

Lol, these maps make me want the trees that much more. (sorry forgot the name of the tree/bridge set)

Halo of Ashes: looks quite interesting and makes things more hectic with all the fire damage that may be received duking it out in the middle. Makes it seem like hot footing it to the swamp like a logical idea. :P

Peace in the Vally: Really like the concept with the middle ground for melee fighting and the equal grounds for rangers hitting the other side or helping they're fellow comrades down below. I may just have to play this without the trees, (I at least have road tiles) but I don't see how it would affect the general design all together. We may even try the negotiation gone wrong idea as well seeing as it fits with the design.

Welcome to the Jungle: Pretty good, looks well balanced. If I remember, if ever we get the jungle pack, I'll try this one out as well.

Overall, looks awesome so far!
Old June 26th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Is a Quadradical

Re: Ollie's Maps. Now With Theme Songs!

Thanks for the feedback, both.

While I was making Halo Of Ashes, I was listening to a Mark Lanegan album and it gave me the idea of stealing an appropriate song title of his for the name of the map. After making the others, there were natural song titles that fitted too, so that's what they got called.

I've linked to youtube videos of the songs in the first post.

Everyone needs a gimmick. I don't intend to copy what seems to be a common look-at-me strategy of consistently producing excellent maps. That's just cheesy. I won't name names, you know the people I'm talking about . Anyway, I hope you enjoy the music, and maybe even give them a listen while playing on the maps.

Last edited by ollie; June 26th, 2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old June 28th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Thanks ollie! Welcome To The Jungle (the song) took me back to my high school days. Geez, that big hair of Axel's! Anyway, nice maps, nice songs.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old June 30th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Is a Quadradical

Quote:
Originally Posted by rym View Post
Thanks ollie! Welcome To The Jungle (the song) took me back to my high school days. Geez, that big hair of Axel's! Anyway, nice maps, nice songs.
Thanks! What I couldn't believe is how adorably sweet he looks in that video.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios