Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old September 22nd, 2014, 12:23 AM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

I finally got all the miniatures put together for my two Shadows of Brimstone core sets (yes, @Gurei-Ornery , rejoice!), so I thought I'd try a solo game to test it out tonight. I skimmed the rules to refresh my memory and set out on the starting adventure, "A Fistful of Darkstone," with my two heroes, "Wild" Bob Hethcoat, a brave lawman, and "Doc" Holloway, a talented gunslinger. The first couple of rooms were relatively uneventful, and the two heroes did well in holding back the darkness. However, on room three, they stumbled upon a nest of void spiders. Being very quick on the draw, Holloway dispatched 4 of them with relative ease, while Wild Bob took out the other two with a few well-placed shots. Both men seemed to be in good shape, with only a couple of wounds and hits on their sanity.

Things took a dramatic turn for the worse, as they failed their next chance to hold back the darkness and encountered a poisonous mist that wounded them both. Stumbling into the next room, they were ambushed by a night terror, which targeted the gunslinger. With help from a few shots from Bob, Doc took it down, but it's terrifying presence reduced his grip on sanity significantly, and its claws wounded him multiple times. At that point, both heroes began to wonder if it would be wiser to retreat and return another day. But between them they had a revive, and the lawman was almost at full health and sanity. So, deciding that they could use the revive on Doc if he went down, they proceeded onward into the mines...

And immediately failed a darkness roll, which resulted in another ambush by a night terror, which did 12 damage to Poor Bob in one attack, who, seeing as he had only 11 life, died instantly. Luckily, Doc Holloway danced around and killed the night terror with a combination of grit and dead eye shots from his trustworthy six shooter. He survived with 3 life left, and only a tenuous grip on reality (1 sanity). With the only revive token having just been used, Wild Bob suggested that they "bug out and call it even," and Doc said "Run away! Run away!" So the two intrepid heroes got the heck out of Dodge and fled the mine.

This is a very cool game. There seems to be a pretty steep learning curve, but by a few rooms in I felt like I had the swing of things. The combat is fun, and there seems to be a ton of replayability. I love the idea of the heroes gaining experience and loot as they go from one adventure to the next. There are also opportunities to visit frontier towns between missions to sell items and buy new stuff. I'm looking froward to playing more.
Old September 22nd, 2014, 06:58 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

That's awesome Akden! That's a game I'd really love to play. Just need one of my buddies to buy it

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old September 22nd, 2014, 11:34 AM

stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Played a MTG Cube draft yesterday. Ended up in a temp bant(UWG) deck that had tons of token makers and Opportunity. The blue control player who had like 20 counters kept talking smack till I was able to bait out his counters and drop my Planeswalkers (Mind Sculptor and Garruk Relentless) and dominate the board from there. Last match was against a Red Deck wins. First game he smoked me by bolting my turn 1 Birds and then dropping 2 2/1 1 drops and then Sulfuric Vortex turn 3. Game 2 I boarded in all my early drops and went more aggro. He missed a couple drops on curve while I curved out and was able to outrace him. Game 3 was a huge back and forth. We both were dropping creatures but neither of us could attack efficiently until I found my Opportunity and sealed the deal for me. I was happy with the deck I drafted. Before the games started I felt I was gonna be hurt by having no removal or counters but in the end didnt really need them.

When I got home I was able to talk my wife in trying out Legendary Encounters. I set up for the Alien Resurrection movie and gave her the Mercenary role while I played the Synthetic. Ive never had a game end so quickly. First 3 cards we reveal in the Complex are the 10 attack xenomorphs. Its hard to get 10 attack that early in the game but theres also Containment cells which allow you to use 3 recruit instead to deal with the Xenomorph. So after all 3 are revealed we really debated about how much scanning we were going to do. If the event card is revealed all those xenomorphs go to the combat zone and we start taking damage. We decided to go for it because we were hoping to have better odds finding the containment cell. Well the odds were not in our favor and I end up revealing the event. Needless to say a couple turns later and we are both dead. Solo games have been awesome but man I really want to play this more often with more players.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
Old September 22nd, 2014, 11:50 AM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

@akden Sounds like Shadows of Brimstone is a great time, especially since you can play solo. That's what I like about the D&D Adventure System games like Castle Ravenloft. You can play by yourself, even running multiple characters. I've been having a lot of fun with all three games lately, both solo and with others. And you can play a campaign with several adventures, and keep your treasures and experience that you gain between adventures if you want.

Old September 22nd, 2014, 01:31 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
@akden Sounds like Shadows of Brimstone is a great time, especially since you can play solo. That's what I like about the D&D Adventure System games like Castle Ravenloft. You can play by yourself, even running multiple characters. I've been having a lot of fun with all three games lately, both solo and with others. And you can play a campaign with several adventures, and keep your treasures and experience that you gain between adventures if you want.
I like those games, too, but I don't get my copies to the table enough. I've done some solo plays of those as well, and I can definitely say that the D&D games have less setup time than Shadows of Brimstone. The D&D games have a lot fewer cards to shuffle, and the preconstructed miniatures are great.

I don't have a lot of experience with campaign play with those, but a significant portion of Brimstone is focused on customizing your characters and an ongoing campaign. The whole concept of otherworld gates with different encounters and artifacts seems like a ton of fun. I've just barely scratched the surface, and I can already see it as a near-RPG in terms of character growth and advancement. One of the reasons I bailed out on my game last night is because I'd already put a lot of thought and time into them and didn't want to risk losing the characters
Old September 23rd, 2014, 12:36 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Got in a couple games tonight, both of which are first time plays of my buddy's games.

Asgard was the first one. 4 player game where I came in 2nd with 85 points behind the leader with 88 points and head of the others that were at 75 and 40 something. This is a pretty heavy game with a lot of things going on. It's a worker placement game and you have 3 worker discs to start with and a small deck of cards, with 1 card for each of the gods, both good and bad. Everyone secretly chooses a god card for each of their available workers (you can get more workers later) and then they reveal one at a time in turn order and after revealing, place a worker at the chosen god's location where you can get certain benefits depending on which of the 3 spaces at the god's spot you choose. After everyone has revealed all cards and placed all workers, in player order you pick up one of your workers and activate the spot it's on. You can get stones needed for building temples, or warriors/giants, and lots of other things.

You can also send a guy to Valhalla and spend what you need to spend to get more workers, and either take them for use later, or send them into one of the seven battles going on on the board.

When you build temples, you get one of the god's tiles and place it in one of the battle spots, and your marker in one of the two temple building spots shows that you are supporting that god in that battle for the big end game event, the Ragnarak. Also during the game you can manipulate some of the supporting troops in the gods' spaces, because during the final Ragnarok battle, those troops will help their god's in battle. It's pretty complicated, as there's a ton of stuff going on, but it's a darn good game.

I then got to play a 4 player game of Black Fleet. In this one only one player won because when he triggered the last card to end the game, if other players couldn't do what they needed to do to get 10 bucks to buy that end game card also, then they lose automatically. It's a fun pick up and delivery game where you have a merchant ship to move goods from one port to another and you have a pirate ship to steal goods from other players merchant ships, and there are common naval ships that players can move and take out pirate ships. There are ability cards you can get and play on your turn along with the movement cards and there are ability cards that each player has and has to buy to be able to use. They have to buy all of the cards, for 5, 8, 11 and 14 bucks before they can buy the 10 buck one that is the game ender. During the game you get money for selling goods, or stealing goods, or burying treasure etc. Very fun game for sure.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old September 23rd, 2014, 01:37 AM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Some more Cards Against Humanity. It's adult themed Apples to Apples and it's HILARIOUS. This is way more fun than Apples to Apples, even the rulebook is funny. Rando Cardrissian.

Definite recommendation to all people of age. Even the clean cards are great.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old September 23rd, 2014, 06:35 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
I then got to play a 4 player game of Black Fleet. In this one only one player won because when he triggered the last card to end the game, if other players couldn't do what they needed to do to get 10 bucks to buy that end game card also, then they lose automatically. It's a fun pick up and delivery game where you have a merchant ship to move goods from one port to another and you have a pirate ship to steal goods from other players merchant ships, and there are common naval ships that players can move and take out pirate ships. There are ability cards you can get and play on your turn along with the movement cards and there are ability cards that each player has and has to buy to be able to use. They have to buy all of the cards, for 5, 8, 11 and 14 bucks before they can buy the 10 buck one that is the game ender. During the game you get money for selling goods, or stealing goods, or burying treasure etc. Very fun game for sure.
We are planning to play Black Fleet today, @Hahma . It looks fun.

We played a couple games of Life this weekend because my daughter noticed it in the closet and since that is one of the few my wife will play, we ended up playing twice. It's better than playing nothing.
Old September 23rd, 2014, 09:40 AM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!

Up Front

Decided to dust this classic and introduce it to my Dad. I had to start back at square one in familiarizing myself with the rules needed to play the first scenario. I discovered a good set of beginner rules that helped. Our play was mostly a tutorial session to introduce him to the concepts he'll need to play.

I'm currently working on putting together the redesigned version that looks pretty nice. It'll take me a while to complete the counters, but I've got the Action Deck printed and the Personality Cards needed for the first scenario printed. I purchased a used copy of Up Front with Banzai, but the copy is pretty worn.

All this, of course, because the notorious Kickstarter reprint is currently waiting for frigid temperatures in the Nether World.

Makes me want to grab a chainsaw.

Which is exactly what I did!

Frag: Gold Edition

First person shooter in a board game version, published by Steve Jackson Games. This game is wicked fun! I played against my brother and dad. We each fielded two characters apiece that acted as team mates (so 3 teams of 2) to field a full 6 characters on the map.

You assign 7 points among three stats: Health, Speed, Accuracy. You can't stuff more than 4 points in a single stat, and you must assign at least 1 point to each.

Health = Number of dice (all 6-sided) you roll in defense, number of hit points you have, plus indicates maximum number of weapons you can equip at once. As you take damage, you'll reduce the number of dice you roll in defense.

Speed = Number of dice you roll to determine how many movement points you get during a turn. Also determines how far you can jump.

Accuracy = When you fire a weapon, you need to roll dice to determine if you hit. Accuracy indicates the number of dice you roll. If the roll is less than the range to the target, you miss. If Accuracy is 3 or 4, you get two attacks during the turn.

There are spots on the board where you can attempt to pick up a weapon or gadget (50% odds), just like in first person shooters. If you're killed (i.e., fragged), that scores a point to the character/team that fragged you. You drop your weapons and a blood counter in that spot, and you'll respawn during your next turn. Blood counters picked up by a character allow you to reduce damage by one or heal one point of damage.

We played until one team scored a total of 6 frags. I really racked frags early and gained a pretty big lead. I got up to five, needing only one more to win. However, both of my characters got fragged and spawned clear across to the other side of the board. My dad and my brother went after one another, and my dad caught up and scored the final sixth frag for the win.

This game is insanely fun. Determining damage requires some brain work, because you roll attack dice and add the values. You then add the defense dice. Then you divide the defense total into the attack total. Wounds = Attack / Defense, rounded down. Math Attack!!!

I played For the Crown (Chess/Dominion hybrid) against my brother, then my dad joined back in with us to play Baldrick's Tomb (very light, family-friendly dungeon crawl) and one round of Mexican Train (domino game).
Old September 23rd, 2014, 10:24 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

A few words about all the games we played this past weekend:

Quote:
Nice to see you get to play Guldhall DS
I love that game, but as you thoughtfully recall, nobody will play it with me. It's like RftG that way, except that there is one other person who will play Guildhall with me, and that's my dad. We played at least seven times, I think. His relationship with GH is similar to mine with Star Realms: he adores it but struggles to win. I won each game; some were fairly close, some were not. None were very close. But he loved it & kept wanting to play more.

Speaking of Star Realms, I knew it wasn't what he likes in a game. He is drawn to Euro-style games in which you place things or make sets, and I didn't think he'd care for the knife fight in a phone booth. But we had a very short minute to kill at one point over the weekend, and I thought he should see another type of game even if it's not what he's accustomed to playing. So I showed it to him, and he didn't like it, and I crushed him, but I think he appreciated experiencing a different type of game. Like duck confit, even if you don't want it to be a regular part of your diet, you might like it & it's good to try it once.

We also played an old favorite a couple of times: Ticket to Ride. He loves this game & for some time it was the only game we played together. We played two player twice, and I won convincingly each time, but the third time he (finally!) won, when we played with KidScaper as well. KS and I ended up battling it out near the east coast, and I horrendously miscalculated when I desperately kept *two* destination tickets on back-to-back turns that I could not, it turned out, mathematically fulfill. So I set a record low final score. Don't ask what it was, I've blocked it out of my memory. I was very pleased, however, that my dad won a game he cared about so much.

Speaking of games with KidScaper, for the second time ever we three played Risk Legacy. KS struggled to protect and hold Europe & my dad slowly spread from South America across North America, where he & KS clashed at the Greenland/Iceland border. I spread from Africa northeast to Asia, which I never actually controlled, but I could infiltrate both Europe and North America as needed through Alaska and Russia, both of which are difficult to defend because of *ahem* modifications to the board.

The Amphibious Assault mission card was in play - get a VP by conquering 4 territories across sea lines in a single turn - but both of my opponents appeared to have forgotten it. I turned an invasion of North America into a crossing to Greenland & northern Europe, where I easily took KidScaper's base in Great Britain (1 VP) and the mission for a second VP (third, including my own base).

The next Misssion was to "conquer all territories in a continent in a single turn," and both my opponents overextended themselves by trying to do so in Africa. I held my home base in South Africa - it was close, but nobody even quite got close enough to attack it - and then cashed in my cards to put a big army in a territory I still held in North America, and crash down to my dad's base in Brazil for the fourth VP and the win.

Quote:
How do you like Sheriff of Nottingham? I've played it several times and really enjoy it.
I think it is a marvelous family game. I love it every time we can get it out, and this time was no exception. Unfortunately, SisterScaper became somewhat frustrated with losing and a few weeks ago she started to refuse to play, even though she was very good at the deception portion of the game. Oh well.

Still, KidScaper and I played Sheriff of Nottingham with my dad, who won. I only tried a couple of times to get contraband to my market stall and I was caught each time. I don't think I've successfully gotten contraband to market in any of the past three times we've played, though IIRC I won one of those games anyway.

Straw was a big hit. It's a light hand-management filler game which *anyone* can play, provided the person can add and subtract. We played with two, we played with four, it was always fun. I also played a few rounds of Love Letter with my dad, too. He's one of the smartest guys I know, but somehow he struggles to wrap his head around strategic play in board games, and loses that, too.

That's the weekend's gaming report, except for the things I might have forgotten, which I'll add later.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 23rd, 2014, 01:23 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

It is always nice to hear you speak of your dad, @Dad_Scaper . Good times.

We just got done with our maiden voyage of the Black Fleet. Good fun, but it may have a runaway problem, especially if everyone only cares about you(me) not winning and not so much who else wins. I am always the target now. Stephen Universe ended up winning with RoboMike (Funny story, see below) constantly sabotaging me and inadvertently (I hope) helping SU since he went immediately after. I can't wait to play this with my family.

How RoboMike got his name: Mike has a severe inability to program robots. Basically all of our games of any game now have a random player that just kills himself.

Last edited by Gurei-Ornery; September 23rd, 2014 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Cleaning up
Old September 23rd, 2014, 01:40 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

You need to clean up that cleanup, G-O, something's off with your nickname story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
It is always nice to hear you speak of your dad, @Dad_Scaper. Good times.
Yup! It's special for both of us. He doesn't really get to play games when he's not with us, and KidScaper and I play a different set of games, and not nearly as often as I'd like.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games