Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old February 27th, 2012, 10:37 PM

Billtrumpet25 is surprisingly tart
My Book: War of the Wizard

I have written a fantasy novel, entitled War of the Wizard, that still has yet to be published.

War of the Wizard is a story of a poor, unknown elf named Lendlelott, who dreams of becoming a wizard—a dream that (in his mind) would yield him much power and recognition if it came to fruition. Lendlelott had lost his mother to mysterious circumstances many years before, and he believes becoming a wizard may help him discover how she died. It is with this goal in mind that things get complicated—very complicated. The country of Trent is in the midst of a bloody civil war—a revolution if you will—and its ruler, known only as The Wizard, attempts to stomp out anyone and anything in connection with the Rebellion and its leader, Rab Resurian. Lendlelott does become a wizard thanks to some odd circumstances (which includes an eccentric old man and a potion), and The Wizard, finding out about this event, expels Lendlelott from the country. By a twist of fate, Lendlelott soon runs into the Rebellion and discovers the truth about his mother, a realization that will turn his life upside down forever; a realization that will throw Lendlelott into a precarious position where he has to fight to protect the friends he never knew he had.

Filled with clever dialogue, a riveting plot, unexpected twists, and diverse
characters, War of the Wizard puts Lendlelott into a difficult situation where he has to choose between dealing with the insecurities of his past and his newfound magic, and saving his friends from the terrible fate that awaits them in the final climatic battle of wits, words, and wizards that is sure to leave readers on the edge of their seats.

To save space, I will post an excerpt from my book in the next post.
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:45 PM

Re: My Book: War of the Wizard

Chapter 1

Lendlelott

Things seemed silent. So silent, it seemed that the world had ended.
An Imperial soldier listened for any sign of fighting. There wasn’t anything -- anything, at least, that he could hear. The battle seemed to have stopped.
The soldier looked around at the fallen bodies beside him, both loyalist and rebel alike. On first glance, it seemed he was the only survivor. Snow fell from the sky, creating a thin blanket that covered the dead. Smoke rose from the smoldering buildings in the city of Wyndham, which was located in the far northwestern reaches of the country of Trent. The nearby forest was ablaze; the flames crackled wickedly, licking the underside of the sky. The view seemed almost surreal.
The soldier took a few tentative steps, his boots crunching the snow beneath them. It was the only sound that could be heard. After many moments of eerie silence, the sounds of battle reached the soldier’s ears once more. The armies were fighting again. He tensed. The city cannot fall to the Rebellion! It must not! These notions ran through his head at the speed of lightning. The rebels would bring the city to its knees, he was sure. Why else did The Wizard demand it be protected at all cost? The rebels would desecrate the mighty city. They would destroy Trent if given the opportunity...they were savages, that much was certain. They were no better than animals. Yet, they had the gall to decree The Wizard’s men as less than human. Imps, the rebels called them. How impish were the Imperials, he thought, in trying to preserve the order and peace that the rebels were trying so hard to undo?
He took another step. Suddenly, an arrow came out of nowhere and pierced his chest -- right in the heart. The soldier looked down at the wound, moving his hand to clutch his chest and regarding the injury almost as though it were a dream. He tried to pull out the arrow with his other hand, but it was no use. It was too far in. Then, the pain hit him. Pain beyond endurance...pain beyond anything he could possibly have imagined. He knew he was dying, that much was certain. Once again, the rebels demonstrated how monstrous they were by not killing him quickly. They had to make him suffer.
He fell to his knees. Within moments, his vision blurred. The soldier guessed he had little more than a minute to live. A few seconds later, he collapsed, falling over the corpses around him, as if he were a shield for them. The arrow went deeper. He screamed in pain, but even that sound seemed distant, almost an echo of what once was.
The Rebellion would meet their end one day, the soldier thought, his breathing becoming more labored by the second. With a few last heaving breaths, the soldier’s body went limp, and everything went black...
#
#
A young elf named Lendlelott played with some homemade toys on the floor of his home. As an eight year old, he was quite imaginative and innovative. He always tried thinking of new ways to help his mother around the house. He was quite a hard worker, too. He was able to take anything and make it something he could use -- especially when toys were involved. He often pretended he was a wizard, running around waving a stick and speaking what could be construed as absolute gibberish. But he didn’t care if it was nonsense. He was as happy as any eight year old could be and should be. However, the night was not yet over.
There was a knock at the door. Expecting his mother, Lendlelott ran to open it, toy in hand. His mother had gone into town for a while earlier that day, and Lendlelott was excited at the prospect of her return. Smiling widely, he unlatched, then opened the door.
The person standing there was not his mother. It looked like a soldier. Lendlelott did not recognize the uniform. The man had a kind face and bright blue eyes. There was a huge bruise on his cheek and gashes on his neck and hands. He couldn’t have been older than sixteen or seventeen. Lendlelott’s smile faltered.
“Hello,” the man said, kneeling so he could look Lendlelott in the eye. “You must be Lendlelott.”
Lendlelott nodded and stepped back, clutching his toy close to him, gazing at the stranger nervously, unsure of who this person was.
“I heard you were a very brave young lad,” the stranger began. “And very resourceful, I see,” he added, looking at Lendlelott’s toys that were scattered across the floor. The stranger paused, unsure of how to proceed.
“I knew your mother, Lendlelott,” the stranger said. “She was a strong, brave person...just like you will have to be.
“I’m so sorry, Lendlelott, that I even have to tell you this,” the stranger said, a tear falling down his cheek. “There was an accident in town today, and...um...your mother died.”
Lendlelott’s eyes widened in horror. He dropped the toy. His eyes welled with tears.
The stranger, too, choked back more tears, though Lendlelott didn’t know why; his eyes glistened slightly, but the man took a deep breath and continued, his eyes filled with a newfound determination and fire.
“She is in a better place, you know,” the stranger said. “She left me something to give you.” He reached into the folds of his cloak and pulled out what looked like a pocket watch. “She wanted you to have this.” He handed it to Lendlelott.
“Your mother said that it’s very important that you keep it always,” the man added. “She said you’d learn why someday. She knows you’ll take good care of the house, and she wanted me to tell you she loves you very much.
“I wish I could tell you more,” the stranger said, nervously looking out the window. “But I have to leave now, it’s never been more important -- I’m so sorry...”
After an awkward silence, the stranger left, closing the door behind him.
Lendlelott latched the door, ran to his bed, and cried himself to sleep. It had officially been the worst day of his life.

Please provide feedback. I hope you enjoy!

BillTrumpet25
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:59 PM

Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby!

This seems very good so far! Keep up the great work, and I hope you post more!

If you have an idea for a signature, let me know. Until then, this stays here
My Trade List
My Custom Map Thread
Old February 29th, 2012, 12:28 AM

I've been debating with myself on the format of this excerpt and subsequently the first chapter in general.

Currently, the book stands at 24 chapters (it was originally 25, but I moved the last chapter to be the prologue of the sequel, The Wizard's Curse). That aside, I'm debating whether to divide the above excerpt so some of it makes up a prologue. Logically, I wonder if the bit with The Wizard's soldier should act as the prologue, with the bit about Lendlelott's mother starting chapter 1. Or should I keep the excerpt as is, having it all act as the prologue?

As potential readers, what would you suggest in terms of this format adjustment?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books