Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old November 30th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!
Re: The Book of MacDirk Warriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Hot Hatch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
Once the champion is destroyed, the attack bonus ends. That's one of the great weaknesses of the MacDirks.
I still love them. Optimize your hero's potential, but after two or three wounds, retreat, protect, etc. It's a fun squad. I often use Sir Gilbert instead of Alastair due to the potential movement bonus, potential extra attack and stronger staying power. Thematically, Alastair is better in my book.
I prefer to just hide him in the back of my start zone so he can't be killed. I don't like to run the risk of Alastair being killed.

I know you'd be wasting some points, but you must remember that you'd be adding 5 attack to 12 figures (If you have 3 squads). And that's not counting bonuses from other human champions such as Gilbert's movement bonus. You're getting more than your points worth WITHOUT Alastair even attacking anything himself.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old November 30th, 2008, 09:49 PM

Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby!

um, 2 attacks of five in one turn? How does that not tempt you to send him out to slash some dudes. Don't forget all the MacDerk's hitting with an extra attack each time he overextends. But that doesn't cut it if you send all the MacDerks out without an Alastair. Their def is so low, all the attack in the world couldn't save them.
Old November 30th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
um, 2 attacks of five in one turn? How does that not tempt you to send him out to slash some dudes.
Becuase he might die, and then I'd be stuck with 3 squads of 2 attack toothpicks.

Quote:
Don't forget all the MacDerk's hitting with an extra attack each time he overextends.
That's why you use another human champion, such as Sir Gilbert.

Quote:
But that doesn't cut it if you send all the MacDerks out without an Alastair. Their def is so low, all the attack in the world couldn't save them.
I disagree. With Sir Gilbert's movement bonus they could get the first strike, and with 4 attacks of 7, they wouldn't leave alot of survivors. As long as you don't run into a flood of cheap commons, you should be fine.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old November 30th, 2008, 10:17 PM

Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby!

Gilbert only gives an extra 1 or 2 if I'm lucky. I have terrible luck with him.
Old November 30th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

Quote:
6 or 7 move is alot.

Old December 1st, 2008, 08:03 AM

eternaldream knows what's in an order marker eternaldream knows what's in an order marker

The MacJerks are like the Deathwalkers to me. I use them often in hopes that they'll impress me, but they always fail miserably. Perhaps we'll get another champion with 10 life soon.
Old December 1st, 2008, 10:10 AM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternaldream View Post
The MacJerks are like the Deathwalkers to me. I use them often in hopes that they'll impress me, but they always fail miserably. Perhaps we'll get another champion with 10 life soon.
Well, there's really only so much you can do with the Deathwalkers in terms of "maximizing their play", because a whiff with 9 dice, or 10 dice, or 11 dice, etc., is still a killing whiff... Deathwalkers are fun to use now and then to see how they do, and occassionally smart play can at least help a little bit, but that one-life-achilles-heel doesn't leave much wiggle room for tactics/strategy to have much impact.

But with the McDirks, those guys can be a true terror on the field when played well. I found that they are one of the more challenging units to master in the game, with trying to balance the slow-bleed of a valuable hero without overdoing it and bringing about an early demise. Plus, they need extra support for their low defense, maximum use of cover from terrain, and wisely-played reinforcing maneuvers to keep their "frontline" at maximum strength (4 figures) for when they close with the enemy, accounting for the inevitable loss of warriors in the process.

Since they are a 4-man squad, it is vital that you are able to attack with 4 each turn once you've engaged the enemy... otherwise if you're only able to engage with 2 or 3 of them a turn, they lose much of their 80pt value, even when "pumped up." (Granted, this isn't always possible to do, but I've seen players make the common mistake of rushing out a squad of McDirks at a time without any nearby reinforcements, essentially spreading themselves so thin that they are no longer truly a 4-man squad threat... With a low-defense unit like the McDirks, you NEED to keep reinforcement close by to quickly replace fallen kinsmen. (again, if at all possible... there are always exceptions.) I find that 3 squads of McDirks works well for most builds.

And for me, the unit that never seems to like me are the Hounds... They almost always impress me when they're in my opponents' armies, but never when they're in mine. I'm usually pretty lucky with most D20 units, but just not those plaguing puppies. I still love to try, but like you and the McDirks, the puppies tend to fail me. (but I'll never stop trying!)

SW8K

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old January 11th, 2009, 10:22 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

I want to play an army soon with Macdirks, Gilbert and another champ as the Highland Fury hero, to leave in reserve while Gilbert and the Macdirks tear through. I really think they need Gilly's movement bonus to compete, but I also think they need an attack boost early on.

If I use Gilbert and Macdirks x3, I'm at 345 points. I usually play 540 or 550 nowadays, so I've got about 205 left. Picking up Alastair leaves me with a very medicore 95 points. But, I wonder if anyone has tried Eldgrim to do the same thing? Sure, you can only get +2 to attack, but 4 attacks of 4 is nothing to scoff at, and you save 80 points for your army! Plus, it only takes Eldgrim two rounds to wound himself to maximum potential and, when he does die, you could even use him to give someone else a bonus! With that in mind, I'd like to try something like this:

Sir Gilbert - 105
Macdirk Warriors x3 - 240
Eldgrim - 30
Marro Warriors - 50
Kaemon Awa - 120

Total = 545

Send out the Marro first, using one Order Marker per round on the Macdirks to Overextend Eldgrim. Once the Marro are gone, bring out the boosted Macdirks with Gilbert. Eldgrim's spirit goes onto Awa for cleanup.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old January 11th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Sir Gilbert - 105
Macdirk Warriors x3 - 240
Eldgrim - 30
Marro Warriors - 50
Kaemon Awa - 120

Total = 545
Personally, with this build (and I do like playing with the MacDirks), I would keep Alistair (110), then put in 2 x Deathreavers (80) and, if you want, Isamu (10); that gives you your 545 points, with some glyph grabbers and passage blockers, Alistair and Gilbert as bonding heroes (use Alistair, of course, for the fury bonding), and Isamu in the box. (23 starting hexes used)
Old January 12th, 2009, 01:03 AM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer View Post
Quote:
6 or 7 move is alot.
And the 1-2 separate move is especially useful. Not as great for climbing, of course, but excellent for crossing water, or taking a disengagement without losing an attack that turn. (If your Mac Dirk dies while disengaging with Jandar's Dispatch, you can just activate a different one on your turn. Sure, you hate to lose any unit, but Jandar's Dispatch makes it more bearable.)

It's also great for moving guys in the rear up while still getting your 4 attacks in with the guys in front.
Old January 18th, 2009, 05:16 PM

The Silver Surfer knows what's in an order marker The Silver Surfer knows what's in an order marker

I've got to say, these guys are probably my favorite mellee squad. They obviously can become very deadly, and are just fun to play. I'm looking for a good, competetive army I can use these guys in. Does anyone have any suggestions? The only requirements are they must must include no more than 2 squads of them, must use Alastair, and have to be either 550 or 600 points. The next army I plan on trying out is:

Alastair 110
Macdirk Warriors x2 160
Microcorp Agents x2 200
Saylind 80

550 points

I'd use Microcorp to gain height quickly and eliminate ranged threats, and after that's taken care of, send the Macdirks and Alastair(overtexing, of course) out, and then once Alaistar is down to 2 life left, use saylind to summon him to safety.

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast"
Ephesians 2:8-9

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved" Acts 16:31

PM me if you would like to know more.
Old January 18th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silver Surfer View Post
I'm looking for a good, competetive army I can use these guys in. Does anyone have any suggestions? The only requirements are they must must include no more than 2 squads of them, must use Alastair, and have to be either 550 or 600 points.
I love the MacDirks. I've played them in various ways for several years (yes, years). There is no tournament competitive army that fits your specifications. For fun, there are lots of possibilities; but not for competition, as far as I have seen. There's a outside chance with three or four squads of MacDirks, not two.

The reason? Two defense...or, with Zelrig, no defense.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units