Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old March 4th, 2007, 05:44 PM

philowar is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpy
Quote:
Originally Posted by philowar
495 points
------------
Jotun
Warriors of Ashra x2
Aubrien Archers x2
Eldgrim

I like this army. I think it would probably be the most fun army here to play. But, I think it could face some problems if it was put up against deathreaver/powerful ranged squad combo. Take for example an army of Deathreavers and Omnicrons. None of your units would be move with 4 squads of Deathreavers clogging up the board. Your 7 movement wouldn't do you any good; you would be stuck among a swarm as the omnicrons fired hell upon your troops.

Otherwise, I think it is good!
Well, the same might problem might be had by just about any army that had to go up against a ranged + deathreavers combo. I think it depends on the terrain (we usually play with modest elevation over here) and how well you could neutralize the Omnicrons with the Aubrien archers. Also, Jotun may be able to slip past the Deathreavers and get to the Snipers, which wouldn't be so hard I think as your opponent (in your scenario) would be spending his order markers on the Snipers and not so much the rats. Or, Jotun could just stay back and use his Wild Swing Special Attack on the rats, being careful not to put himself in the full line of fire of the Snipers. A few good throws would also help him to clear them out.

As with any matchup, a lot depends on both one's generalship and the luck of the dice. Just last night, my opponent marched Krug straight through my Airborne Elite's fire (and they had elevation), reaching my front line and killing two squads of Greeks and three Airborne Elite before dying. A mighty opponent, he was.
Old March 4th, 2007, 07:53 PM

Marduk has disabled reputation
If you're basing an army around Jotun, I'd say you're already in trouble. But to give two facetious answers first...

Jotun 225
Dead Eye Dan 60 (I like to separate the name and think of a sharpshooter with an eyepatch. It amuses me.)
Charos 210

Total: 495 points

Jotun 225
Nilfheim 195
Kelda 80 (Keep her back out of range until needed.)

Total: 500 points

The main thrust of either army is to win on time - your opponent won't know who to shoot at first, and you might able to encourage constant second-guessing.

As a more serious attempt, I'd say:

Jotun 225
Nakita Agents 120
Raelin 80
4th Mass 70

Total: 495

First you string out the Nakita Agents as protective waypoints, then the 4th Mass alongside the Nakitas, then Jotun. Round two, start by moving Raelin to aura everyone (and get smoke cover from a Nakita). Then depending on how your opponent has moved in the first turn you either go all-Jotun for a bit or alternate 4th Mass and Jotun. It's a bit clumsy, but no Jotun-centric army will act as a well-oiled machine unless Jotun just sits there.

Malpractice makes malperfect!
Ohio Valley Association of Heroscapers

Art by Susan Van Camp, Copyright 2006. www.artbysvc.com
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:11 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
Sort of taking off Aldin's Jotun/Braxes/shotgun idea:

Jotun - 225
Q9 - 180
Eldgrim - 30
Shotgun sully -65
TOTAL - 500

This time Q9 is the squad buster and you've got Eldgrim to speed up Jotun when you need him. Or you could take out eldgrim and shotgun and pop in Raelin. Sit back and take pot shots with Q9 until you can make the other army come within jotun's reach...

Another fun one might be:

Jotun - 225
Tagawa Samurai Archers x3 - 195
Raelin - 80
TOTAL - 500

Raelin is always nice to help with jotun's survivability, but the TSA give her defense aura some more bite. And the points fit perfectly, I love that.
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:28 PM

Elginb has disabled reputation
Jotun - 225
Kaemon Awa - 120
Marro Warriors - 50
Knights of Weston - 70
Eldgrim - 30

Total = 495 pts

Send Eldgrim and the knights out on a suicide mission, just to thin out the crowd (specifically any ranged units within reach). Meanwhile, Kaemon Awa (possibly boosted by Eldgrim) and the Marro Warriors gain the high ground, wreaking even more devastation (focusing opposing ranged units, again), until you come in with Jotun as your closer.
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Which Team Am I On?...

Tiberius has disabled reputation
Why the knights if you dont have anyone to bond with? Talk to weesel about competitive Jotun armies, he brings one almost every time to the Ohio tournaments.

Tiberius is Rogue...
aboard STARSHIP THETA...
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Which Team Am I On?...

Tiberius has disabled reputation
Oh nevermind, Eldgrim bonds. hahaha.

Tiberius is Rogue...
aboard STARSHIP THETA...
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:44 PM

Messenger has disabled reputation
My Jotun armies:

225 Jotun
275 Roman Archers x 5

Yes, yes I know the RA are weak at 1 Def, but you have fifteen of them who are there just to 'thin the ranks'. They are slow, so you won't get any glyphs, but with fifteen of the little baddies you have multiple rounds to decide whether to take multiple shots or pound with Att 6. Once they've given their last full measure, bring in the giant.

225 Jotun
185 Nilfheim
080 Rats x 2

Here's a more practical approach. Send out rats, grab glyphs, tie up enemy, blah, blah. Dragon flies in/over takes out ranged units, scares villagers, etc. Jotun steps up wildly swinging at anything left standing.

There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

Romans 3:22-24
Old March 13th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
You know... a Roman Archer swarm is pretty clever, but it seems like they'd die just as fast as the Venocs without the speed or swarming ability. Have you actually run a RA swarm? How did it do and what was it up against?

~Aldin, who loves the Archers and wishes they had even one more defensive die

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old March 13th, 2007, 11:24 PM

Messenger has disabled reputation
Funny you would mention it. I went up against Braxas and blasted the fairy wings off her. She had to come within range to do acid and took out her fair share, but more RA's stepped up (albeit with only move 4, but range 6) and kept hitting with 6 Att. Done deal.

Another swarm army would mop the floor with a Roman Archer swarm, but against large (or multiple) heroes they perform surprisingly well.

~Messenger, who has a newfound respect for Arrow Volleys

There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

Romans 3:22-24
Old March 13th, 2007, 11:35 PM

It seems to me that a Roman Archer swarm would be an excellent backup for Jotun. You would have enough of them to last a bit, and you ought to be able to target anything that seemed like a genuine threat to Jotun. I think it would go a long way toward making Jotun durable enough for tournament play.

The RA would excel at taking down some of the big threats, like Q9. Just keep them away from anything that frenzies or swarms, The Einar Imperium, and most especially from Deathwalker 8000. Against those kinds of opponents you should maybe use Jotun first and hope he does enough damage to let the RA clean up afterward. Hmm, against a zombie horde I think you would be best off just letting the archers die first without firing a shot. Otherwise the zombies are going to have a field day and you will never manage any real kills against them.

Old March 13th, 2007, 11:56 PM
The Orc Master

Browncoat is surprisingly tart
Jotun
Q9
Kelda

Kelda's role here is obvious. She would just hang back out of range until a heal is needed. I chose her over Raelin because Q9 doesn't really need a defense boost, and with 8 life on Jotun, her effectiveness with him would be less valued too.

Q9 would act as a sniper in this army, and I would probably place all 3 markers on him in the first round to advance and hopefully get in some attacks. While the opponent was focused on Q9, Jotun could move into position. Q9 would then fall back, leaving Jotun on the front lines to keep the enemy engaged.
Old March 14th, 2007, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browncoat
Jotun
Q9
Kelda
I suggest leaving Kelda in back and going back to her for healing if possible, then advancing again. This helps Kelda stick around longer and maybe do more healing.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion