Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old September 17th, 2010, 02:19 PM

Maddog A1 Woo who?
640 army rip it up.

Pick this apart for me please.

Army Details
Arrow Gruts
80 2 × 40
Blade Gruts
Greenscale Warriors
120 2 × 60
Krug
Mimring
Swog Rider
Tornak

635 total

This is one of my army ideas for a 640pt tourney.

This build played well with all the bonding and left my opponent guessing if i was going to move Krug or Mimring . The Greenscales gave me bonding on Mimring as well and i nice screen.
Old September 17th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Bill Nigh the Psions Guy

Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: 640 army rip it up.

Interesting army you have put together here... I like the themed feel to it and I like how many bonding options you have on the table.

That said I think you are spreading around the love a bit too much, and need to focus in on your common backbone a little more. I'd either drop the greenies in favor of more blades (which would then act as your screen for the arrows) or drop the blades and Tornak for more greenies.

In this way you can suffer some major losses in your front line screen before their power diminishes, and still have plenty of bonding options for your AGs.

Blades, not Greens:
Blades x 3 -120
Tornak - 100
Arrows x 3 - 120
Krug - 120
Mimring - 150
Swog - 25
Total 635 - 29spaces

Greens, not Blades
GSW x 4 - 240
Mimring - 150
Arrows x 3 - 120
Krug - 120
Isamu - 10
TOTAL 640 - 26 spaces

It's worth noting however that the GSW's really benefit a lot from the boost of their lizard king, and since in this case it's Mimring you'll want to keep him boosting the greens as much as possible. Thats said, Mimring is one of the more frail dragons (in terms of survivability) and really is best played as a hit and run type figure, staying away from the front lines. This issue is compounded by the fact that Mimring is your most mobile and costly figure and your only SA... many reasons to want to hang back from the front. This conflicted play style might be hard to manage... I suggest thorough play testing before bringing it to a tourney.

With that said, I do really like how your front line screen can bond with Mimring, and so can your core back row rangers. It gives you some big time flexibility in positioning the big dragon at all phases of the game... could be a very powerful tandem with relatively easy OM management. Mimring is critical to it's success though, and like I said he's not that hard to drop... particularly if your opponent also recognizes what a lynch pin he is for you and focuses on him right from the get-go.

Looking for quality maps for 3+ players? Think your latest map-masterpiece deserves a place of honor? Join in the discussion of The War-zones of Valhalla

It doesn't get any more classic than this: The C3V project
Old September 17th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I suspect you have some figure limitations based on the army posted, so I'll try to keep the changes minimal. Dredd Stev's response is solid and since I like the idea of both Arrow Gruts and GSW bonding with Mimring I want to do a riff off of his GSW army (which somehow managed to have no Swogs in it):

Greens, not Blades Modified
GSW x 2 - 120
Mimring - 150
Arrows x 3 - 120
Swog x2 50
Krug - 120
Raelin 80
TOTAL 640 - 24 spaces

Mimring just isn't going to last long enough to justify 4xGreenscale Warriors so by dropping two of those squads and Isamu we can re-add the Swogs and thier boost to the Arrow Gruts while simultaneously grabbing Raelin and the defensive boost which will help all your low defense units survive long enough to do some damage.

~Aldin, adjustingly

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old September 17th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Bill Nigh the Psions Guy

Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
I suspect you have some figure limitations based on the army posted, so I'll try to keep the changes minimal. Dredd Stev's response is solid and since I like the idea of both Arrow Gruts and GSW bonding with Mimring I want to do a riff off of his GSW army (which somehow managed to have no Swogs in it):

Greens, not Blades Modified
GSW x 2 - 120
Mimring - 150
Arrows x 3 - 120
Swog x2 50
Krug - 120
Raelin 80
TOTAL 640 - 24 spaces

Mimring just isn't going to last long enough to justify 4xGreenscale Warriors so by dropping two of those squads and Isamu we can re-add the Swogs and thier boost to the Arrow Gruts while simultaneously grabbing Raelin and the defensive boost which will help all your low defense units survive long enough to do some damage.

~Aldin, adjustingly
I must say that I agree with Aldin's adjustments 100%. Like I said the greens really need that boost from the dragon, and Mim's is just to frail to hold up to sustained attacks on the front lines. Dropping a few greeners makes sense because chances are they'll last as long as the dragon will... the addition of swogs is always welcome for the Arrow Gruts, and Rae-Rae makes a fine addition to any build.

That said with the reduction in greenies you've reduced the size of your screen significantly, and with the addition of further bonding options for the Arrows and the addition of Raelin your OM management is going to be a little more tricky (not to the point that it's a major problem, but worth mentioning).

Looking for quality maps for 3+ players? Think your latest map-masterpiece deserves a place of honor? Join in the discussion of The War-zones of Valhalla

It doesn't get any more classic than this: The C3V project
Old September 17th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

By the way, the tournament is 650 points, 24 hexes.

Since this thread was a question about a specific army, would it make since to start a new thread for 650 points, 24 hexes, or should I just use this one?

~Rednax
Old September 17th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

At 650 I'd add Isamu and drop a single Arrow Grut I think.

~Aldin, recommending that Rednax start another thread in this case

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old September 17th, 2010, 04:25 PM

Maddog A1 Woo who?

Wow thanks for the input. I am however limited in my figures. It seems i'll be looking into ebay again. I didnt forget about the 24 figure limit. In my first build i had to drop one arrow and one blade to fit. I was using my blades and Tornak as clean up after i lost Mimring . In my testing he did go down fairly easy but it kept my opponents focus on him and he spread his armys out so fire line was less effective. That only made Krug and Tornak more effective in there efforts.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion