Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old November 5th, 2006, 10:05 PM

Omega has disabled reputation
Need Strategy Tips for 400 Point Games

i have been playing heroscape for over 2 years now, and have barely ever played a game under 1000 points (except for maybe when i got it). When i play most of the time i play 2000 points or more. I am starting to practice using 400 point armies, and am struggling with the aspect of having a few guys, i am not used to needing all my pieces. Can someone give me some strategies or something to help me improve my low point army game?
Old November 5th, 2006, 10:10 PM

deathsaurx has disabled reputation
Check this link. It has a lot of good tourney armies.

Dang it, I forgot this place existed.
Old November 5th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Synergy is always good.

PS Vague thread titles suck. I changed yours.
Old November 5th, 2006, 10:13 PM

hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I've actually been experimanting a lot lately with 400-pt teams. Me and my brother picked 32 teams and are in the midst of a huge tournament between them to find cool synergies and teams that work.

Old November 6th, 2006, 06:35 PM

Omega has disabled reputation
im new to the lower point games, i like the agents as of now though, they have decent range and move, and there abilities help them stay alive for a while

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Old November 6th, 2006, 06:52 PM

Elginb has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi1hi1hi1hi1
I've actually been experimanting a lot lately with 400-pt teams. Me and my brother picked 32 teams and are in the midst of a huge tournament between them to find cool synergies and teams that work.
I've done the same thing a couple times. It's can be surprising which armies make it far into the tournament...
Old November 6th, 2006, 06:55 PM
ATF Agent

ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby!
I'd recommend that you destroy all your opponents units.

I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane.
Old November 6th, 2006, 07:45 PM

hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elginb
Quote:
I've done the same thing a couple times. It's can be surprising which armies make it far into the tournament...
Yes. So far the trend has shown the Omnicrons as a very good choice, winning 4 of 4 battles so far, and monks as a bad choice losing 4 of 4.

Thats just what I've observed from the first round of play and three second round games. Anyway my original plan for this tournament was to play enough games with random teams so that I could read and interpret the data and find some unusual yet very effective teams/units.

I'm also now curious to see how your teams fared and which units did better than others.
Old November 7th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Master Custom Creator

Euryon is surprisingly tart
Some things to consider;

Range - This is incredibly important. If you can weaken an opponents force before he can weaken you, you have an advantage. In traditional warfare, this is known as skirmishing. It won't often win the battle (though it can), but it can steep the odds in your favour.

Mobility - Bonding is key. If I can move and attack with 5 units versus your squad of 3, I have 2 extra attacks and 2 extra chances to wipe you out. More movement also allows you to capture key positions (glyphs, high ground, choke points, etc)

Synergy - As Nether mentioned. Essentially, if you want the Venoc Warlord, I recommend the Vipers too to take advantage of his scout movement and frenzy enhancements. If you like Finn, get a squad that bonds with him. If you like Soldiers, get Marcus to help their move.

Maximised potential - Try and fill out those points as much as you can. Being 20 points short - ie, 380 in a 400 army, is the worst position you can be in. Whilst the costing system isnt totally perfect (Kravs are cheap, Taelord is expensive); it generally works well. At 20 points short, youre at a cost disadvantage to a 400 pointer, and youre the closest you can be to filling the gap (with a swog or dumuteff) without actually being able to.

Research - As mentioned, check the various threads in this forum. I studied a lot of combo's and came up with some of my own based on my particular style. I've found a core 300points I like, and I mix and match that last 100 depending ont he situation.

Versatility - Make sure your "chosen" army can handle many situations. Play them against populatr tourney armies (orc swarm, Q9 and soulborgs, Agent army, etc). Try it on hilly maps and flat maps. Try different Order Marker combos. Get to know the army; know what it can and cant do, and put it in "can" situations, and shield it from "cant" ones.

On my command, fix bayonets.
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:26 AM

Elginb has disabled reputation
Quote:
I'm also now curious to see how your teams fared and which units did better than others.
I've played 3 such tournaments. The first tournament was won by Charos, Nakita Agents & Izumi Samurai (very surprising). The second: Marcus, 4th MassX2, LegionnairesX2 & Me-Burq-Sa (not so surprising). The third: Braxas & Major Q9.

However, Finn & KoWx2 have been the most consistent-- they have yet to win the whole thing, but they've made it to at least the semifinals of each tournament I've had, albeit with different support units each time. They made it to the finals once with an all melee team (Sir Denrick, Finn, KoWx2, and MacDirk WarriorsX1), which was a big surprise.

Sir Denrick has gone far in a couple tournaments, as well. I think he's a bit better than his reputation-- his 4 Attack is perfectly fine against most of the melee schmucks he runs into, but the +2 Attack against Huge creatures has proven to be invaluable when pitted against the inevitable Dragon, especially in conjunction with bonding.

MacDirks en masse can be effective when used with Thorgrim to boost their defense, and I've come to believe that the Human Champions with 4 Defense are better Highland Fury candidates than Alistair MacDirk with his 6 Life but only 3 Defense.

I agree that the Omnicron Snipers are better than their reputation. So are the Gorillinators-- if you play them a bunch over time, their Tough-ness really shines. On the other hand, Microcorps Agents really blow on a completely flat map (I've been using 3 different types of maps, and the completely flat map always reveals their weakness).

I've tried 3 times, but I have yet to put together an Orc swarm army that has gone very far-- I know I'm doing something wrong.

Shotgun Blasts rock.
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I've played 3 such tournaments. The first tournament was won by Charos, Nakita Agents & Izumi Samurai (very surprising). The second: Marcus, 4th MassX2, LegionnairesX2 & Me-Burq-Sa (not so surprising). The third: Braxas & Major Q9.

However, Finn & KoWx2 have been the most consistent-- they have yet to win the whole thing, but they've made it to at least the semifinals of each tournament I've had, albeit with different support units each time. They made it to the finals once with an all melee team (Sir Denrick, Finn, KoWx2, and MacDirk WarriorsX1), which was a big surprise.

Sir Denrick has gone far in a couple tournaments, as well. I think he's a bit better than his reputation-- his 4 Attack is perfectly fine against most of the melee schmucks he runs into, but the +2 Attack against Huge creatures has proven to be invaluable when pitted against the inevitable Dragon, especially in conjunction with bonding.

MacDirks en masse can be effective when used with Thorgrim to boost their defense, and I've come to believe that the Human Champions with 4 Defense are better Highland Fury candidates than Alistair MacDirk with his 6 Life but only 3 Defense.

I agree that the Omnicron Snipers are better than their reputation. So are the Gorillinators-- if you play them a bunch over time, their Tough-ness really shines. On the other hand, Microcorps Agents really blow on a completely flat map (I've been using 3 different types of maps, and the completely flat map always reveals their weakness).

I've tried 3 times, but I have yet to put together an Orc swarm army that has gone very far-- I know I'm doing something wrong.

Shotgun Blasts rock.
Cool have you considered posting your results in a seperate forum because I would definetly read over the battle reports since this stuff interests me a lot. Its cool to have so many different teams and find all the random combinations that work.
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Shotgun Blasts rock.
Cool have you considered posting your results in a seperate forum because I would definetly read over the battle reports since this stuff interests me a lot. Its cool to have so many different teams and find all the random combinations that work.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion