Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online
Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

Notices

Closed Thread

Old April 15th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Admin & Retired PuppetMaster

LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Thumbs up Your HSers REPUTATION And You

**Note that as of 14 October 2009, updates to the Rep System have outdated this thread. Please direct your comments and inquiries to the New Reputation Thread instead.**

Our new home here in the vBulletin format brings with it a new "Reputation" system. Many users have asked what exactly this is and how it works, so here is the low-down...

Reputation is a measure of each member's general merit, esteem, trustworthyness, character, respect, and level of contribution to the site. Reputation is given to each HSers member by other HSers members. It is a 'community-mediated' system for helping to recognize and reward the members of our community that contribute the most to making it strong.

With the transition to the new vBulletin site, all members are starting from the same 'baseline', so to speak, of 0 (zero) reputation. As members receive positive feedback, or rep boons, from other members, their Reputation will increase. As Reputation rises, the little 'cards' in the member's titlebar will become brighter green, or more cards will be added, making it easy to spot community 'pillars' visually. When Reputation reaches certain benchmark levels (see below), those members will be given new Reputation Titles, which display when the mouse is rolled over the reputation cards in the member's titlebar.

If warranted, members can also receive negative feedback, or rep docks, for unhelpful posts, harrassing comments, spam, troll-feeding, flaming, violating forum policy, etc., which will reduce that member's Reputation and remove cards accordingly. Members with a negative total reputation will display rep cards that are red instead of green. These members should take red cards as a friendly warning that they should improve their behavior before they end up being ignored, ...or even banned.

So how exactly does it work? Easy - see that little 'scale' icon near the top-right of each post? ( ) That's the Reputation button. When you see a post that deserves positive recognition (helping out a newbie, solid contribution to the site, clever, insightful, heartfelt, upstanding, etc.), just click that button. The default "I approve" button will be highlighted, and you can add a comment (if desired) and click "Add to Reputation" to give that member a rep boon and increase their Reputation. It's that easy.

If a post is worthy of negative feedback (spam, flaming, unwarranted rudeness, etc.), Administrators and Site Supporters can also click the Reputation button, then select "I disapprove" before clicking "Add to reputation" to REDUCE that member's Reputation with a rep dock. (Note that this 'negative' option is only available to Site Supporters and Administrators.)

The 'fine print' details of the system:
  • Members may decide to show or hide their Reputation by toggling the "Show My Reputation Level" checkbox in the "Edit Options" section of thier "User CP". If members decide to hide their reputation, it will still be tracked by the system, and others may still make rep hits to that member, but only a single black card and "This User's reputation is disabled" will show in the titlebar of their posts. If a member's Reputation total is negative, it cannot be hidden.
  • Users may only hit (boon or dock) 5 other members in a 24-hour period. This means that rep hits should be used sparingly, and only when warranted. If you logon and rep boon the first 5 posts you view, then you won't be able boon something really stellar when you find it later. Each member has only five hits a day - use them wisely. (Administrators are exempt from this restriction.)
  • Users must hit 10 different members before they may hit the same member again. That means that if you hit 'InfinityMax' with a boon for a fine game review this week, you won't be able to boon or dock IMax again until you have hit (booned or docked) 9 other members first. This prevents small circles of members from abusing the system, and encourages us all to 'spread the love'. ^_^
  • Users must have a minimum of 30 posts AND 20 reputation before their hits 'count' toward other member's totals. If you have less than these minimums, you can still give rep hits, but they won't actually count toward member totals (they add or subtract "0" points). You have to make your presence known here and gain a little respect before you can start molding the reputation of others.
  • The default Reputation level for every member at registration is zero (0). Site Supporters are given a one-time double-boon of 20 points the first time they become Site Supporters. Everybody starts from ground zero, ...unless you're willing to help pay the bills a little. ^_~
  • The Reputation Display Titles are just another measure of respect and recognition. They do not confer any additional privilages or rewards (at the moment). The Titles are as follows (subject to change):
    • < -100 = User should be on your ignored list
    • -100 = User is begging to be banned
    • -50 = User better shape up soon
    • 0 = User is quite inconspicuous
    • 10 = User is getting noticed
    • 50 = User is fitting in
    • 150 = User is well known and liked
    • 350 = User is a good contributing member
    • 550 = User is a great contributing member
    • 750 = User is solid and respected by all
    • 1300 = User is a beloved pillar of the community
    • 2000 = User is among the very best of the best
  • The number of 'cards' displayed by each member is also an indicator of their current Rep total, on the following scale:
    • = -100 (or less) Rep
    • = -99 to -1 Rep
    • = 0 Rep
    • = 1 to 99 Rep
    • = 100 to 199 Rep
    • = 200 to 299 Rep
    • = 300 to 399 Rep
    • = 400 to 499 Rep
    • = 500 to 699 Rep
    • = 700 to 899 Rep
    • = 900 to 1,099 Rep
    • = 1,100 to 1,299 Rep
    • = 1,300 to 1,499 Rep
    • = 1,500 (or more) Rep
  • The amount of points that each member adds (or subtracts) from another member's Reputation with each boon (or dock) varies, based on a number of factors. This is a reflection of each member's general 'standing' in the community, and is refered to as a member's Reputation Power. Each boon increases the recipient's Rep by an amount equal to the giver's Power. A dock decreases the recipient's Rep by half of the giver's Power. Reputation Power is a base of 1 as soon as a member reaches the minimum use restrictions of 30 posts and 20 Reputation Points total. This base is further modified by the following bonuses:
    • for every 6 months since their registration, users gain 1 additional Power
    • for every 800 posts made, users gain 1 additional Power
    • for every 200 Reputation Points a user has, he or she gains 1 additional Power
    Thus, a "hypothetical" user who has been here for 10 months (6x1), with 900 posts (800x1) and 60 rep of his own (200x0) will have a power of 3 (1+1+1+0). This user will add 3 points (or subtract 1 point) from other members' reputations with each hit. A stronger community member (say, ...Revdyer for example), who has been here for 23 months (6x3), with 7697 posts (800x9) and 30 rep of his own (200x0) will have a Power of 13 (1+3+9+0). He will add 13 (or subtract 6) points from other members' reputations with each hit. Administrators always have a Power of 10, with none of the above bonuses or restrictions (Yes, ...the Rev hits heavier than truth, ...but the Rev can only do it 5 times a day, and truth can do it all he wants... ^_~ )
That's how it works - everything you ever wanted to know about our "Reputation System" and more. ^_^ If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to post it here. Enjoy!!!

...Oh and one last bit, as TOG helped me to discover:
The easiest way to see your own reputation, ...OR see all the docks or boons one of your own posts has received, ...is to click the Rep Button ( ) on one of your own posts. ...Your current Reputation Total, and all of your boons and docks for that post will be conveniently displayed.

^_^
-Your Administrators-

...Experience the Curse... (Click for Details)
[Don't Have 'Permission'? Click Here to Give Yourself Access...]

Last edited by LordRaidor; October 14th, 2009 at 02:09 AM.
Old April 15th, 2008, 07:41 PM
assistant leader

skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Your HSers REPUTATION And You ^_^

Thank you Lord Raidor, an excellent article. I am even more impressed that you typed it while still using your Windows 95 unit. Lord that makes me laugh everytime I think about that brother.
Old April 15th, 2008, 07:44 PM
GW Bush's

Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby!

What an interesting feature. I just hope it doesn't get abused.
Old April 15th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Are rep boosts retroactive? Let's say I have 19 points, and I've given a few bumps, will they actually give people boosts once some kindly admin gives me a nod and pushes me over the edge? Or if someone has been around for 5 months, do all the people that they've boosted get a 'birthday' once that member reaches the 6 month mark? My guess is no to both, but I thought I'd ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old April 15th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Thanks, LR for spelling that all out for us so clrearly and concisely. Again thanks to all of the Powers that Be™ for all of your hard work on the site!
Old April 15th, 2008, 08:11 PM

LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LordRaidor is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Are rep boosts retroactive? ...My guess is no to both, but I thought I'd ask.
You are correct; 'no' to both. ...If you don't have the minimum limits yet, your 'hits' will not ever affect the target member's reputation, ...but any comment you type there WILL show up in the member's "recient received reputation" area so they can review it, ...and it's good practice for getting the most use out of your 5-per-day limit (so it'll really be primed and ready as soon as you hit that 20-rep minimum)...

^_^
-LordRaidor-

Old April 15th, 2008, 08:14 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I think you detailed explanation will ease a few minds..and open a few more.
Old April 15th, 2008, 08:21 PM
All growed up

Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Thanks for writing that. I was a little confused how the whole rep thing works. I would say that basing rep on post isn't really a good thing. Like, look how many posts I have. I definitely don't deserve as much as many other members because most of my posts aren't helpful criticism or help. That is the only problem I have. Thanks again for this.
Old April 15th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

Yay, I have 20 rep and WAY more than 30 posts, so my votes matter!

I pretty much knew what rep was (some other forums I visit have it), but it's good to see things in detail. You might want to add something about Admins being un-rep-able, though I may have just missed it.
Old April 15th, 2008, 08:37 PM

Re: Admin REPUTATIONs

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny139 View Post
...You might want to add something about Admins being un-rep-able, though I may have just missed it...
You didn't miss it, ...I just didn't elaborate on that point specifically... ^_~

But yes, ...while Admins are 'locked' in with the "Administrator" display title, we can still receive boons and docks, and see who is giving it to us and why. ...Helps keep us honest (in theory ^_~ )...

^_^
-LordRaidor-

Old April 15th, 2008, 08:40 PM

SVD997 knows what's in an order marker SVD997 knows what's in an order marker

I love this system. Now we can tell good from the bad without making assumptions from post counts. I like the limits. I wasn't sure about this at first, but you have anti-abuse measures in place. Again, you guys do an awesome job!
Old April 15th, 2008, 09:47 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

I'm a bit wary of this system and its possible abuse, but will wait and see how things shake out.

One question: How can you tell how many Reputation Points you have? I can't seem to find it in my profile.

Edit: Never mind. I found it. I'm blind.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online