Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports
Battle Reports Reports of your Heroscape Battles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #265  
Old October 14th, 2020, 04:06 PM
Sir Heroscape's Avatar
Sir Heroscape Sir Heroscape is offline
Sir Formerly Known As adoney
 
Join Date: September 14, 2015
Location: U.S - Idaho - Boise
Posts: 6,913
Images: 105
Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: 10 Points Under - Heroscape Casting Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
It seemed clear as soon as SirH's R1 OM placement was shown that he had no intention of moving out of his startzone. This is certainly a defensible strategy. That said, I would have put Ana/Rae at the front of the startzone and put OM1 on rats to establish a shell 2 spaces farther forward. This would have allowed for pinging the advancing macdirks from a position of relative safety much more easily, possibly leading to stringing them out if Laglor can get hot with autoload. As it was, it was just too easy for Boromir to mass forward while forcing SirH to choose between attacking or keeping the heroes safe.
Yeah. Honestly, going into this matchup I really felt like I had no conceivable way of winning unless I could get Boromir to overextend Alastair and get a little impatient with my defensive (come to me) position. I placed with that exact intention because I also felt like with 5 different cards there was not enough time to pod up anywhere in the map with only 3 OM's per turn. It would take at least 2 OM's on rats and one on each of the rest to get to a pod spot near kelda and so I opted to go to the right where he could get only 2 same level attacks AND with no jungle or shadow cover. That was also part of the reason I decided to wait for him to come, podding in the map somewhere guarentees he gets jungle and shadow when I attack him, while in my SZ he's forced out of the extra safety. I stand by my decision to play the way I did, BUT with that said I do agree with 2 points made during the cast and by dok just now:

1. moving the rats up for 1 OM to extend the line would have been advantageous for just how far I could shoot into the map and still retreat, OR stay in my same spot but move that 1 rat Dysole mentioned that was on the bottom of my SZ and not doing anything. That would have allowed Laglor to shoot 1 hex farther and really forced Boromir into an uncomforatble position even more so.

2. I played really "safe", but for those who know me, I take the big plays. I decided to go against my nature and retreat Laglor when I started threatening alastair from the center when I moved up to the top...but I think I needed to realize that I needed the snipe and the pressure on Alastair to win this one. I had the pressure, and by retreating I basically allowed Boromir to continue doing his thing. moving up and killing those 2 Dirks on the high platform would have been the right call I think at that stage of the game because he wouldn't have had any answer for me and LAglor coulda gone to town from that position.
Reply With Quote
  #266  
Old October 21st, 2020, 08:47 AM
BiggaBullfrog's Avatar
BiggaBullfrog BiggaBullfrog is offline
Usurper of Shenanigans (only under 10 points though)
 
Join Date: December 31, 2009
Location: USA - UT - Vernal
Posts: 2,361
Images: 241
Blog Entries: 4
BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: 10 Points Under - Heroscape Casting Videos

We have the next installment (well, technically round 1) of the Heroes Only tournament from Online Con! In this game we get to see a couple of new players to the channel: @IntingWolvesOBMain who hails from Australia and @Jazack who is one of my fellow Utah 'Scapers! The matchup is two classic hero-only armies, with Kurrok and Fire Elementals taking on the Elf wizard army! Joining me for this game is YouTube sensation @TalesOfValhallaOfficial , and we have a great time watching the action unfurl in this hot game! (Get it? Because Fire Elementals are hot? Oh, you did get it? Okay, just wanted to make sure.)



Last edited by BiggaBullfrog; October 21st, 2020 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Realized after posting that I spelled IntingWolvesOBMain's name in the wrong order, oops! Should all be fixed now
Reply With Quote
  #267  
Old October 21st, 2020, 06:47 PM
IntingWolvesOBMain IntingWolvesOBMain is offline
 
Join Date: May 22, 2020
Location: Australia - Victoria - Melbourne
Posts: 2
IntingWolvesOBMain Woo who?
Re: 10 Points Under - Heroscape Casting Videos

Huh this is cool, thanks for putting this up BiggaBullFrog!
Although, you couldn't have chosen a game I won coulda ya? Now I've lost every reposted game I'm in! ;P

This was actually my first time playing kurrok, fire elementals or Moltenclaw (the only unit I'd played was Eldgrim lol). So at the time I was lamenting Moltenclaws claws falling off when he attacked Ullganesh but in hindsight I'd do a lot differently.

Firstly, lead with the fire elementals. I didn't need to sprint to Lodin because the elves couldnt really hold glyphs anyway and I didn't get any huge value out of it immediately, I could have just got it a bit more slowly as I developed the fire elementals. But developing and spreading them prevents the crippling start zone bomb from Jorhdawn and they'd probably just do more damage than MC (though I didn't realise this until halfway through the game when I finally brought them out).

That leaves Moltenclaw as a cleanup unit, which I don't think is necessarily his strength. At the end of the game he doesn't get much value from his burning breath special attack because there's less things on the board so probably very few times when they are lined up for bim. So he is basically a 6 life 5/1/5/3 for 170 points, in which case there are better options, probably KA and more fire eles would have been better for instance. But as a side note I did love how thematic he was with fire eles given he is lava resistant.

Twas a fun game and awesome event though, keen to play in more when the time zones line up nicely.

-IntingWolves

(I don't blame you for messing the name, its a mouthful and a half, if changing it was an option I would cut it in half lol, so I shall subtly try and do that by signing off as a shortened version)

Last edited by IntingWolvesOBMain; October 21st, 2020 at 07:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #268  
Old October 22nd, 2020, 11:17 PM
BiggaBullfrog's Avatar
BiggaBullfrog BiggaBullfrog is offline
Usurper of Shenanigans (only under 10 points though)
 
Join Date: December 31, 2009
Location: USA - UT - Vernal
Posts: 2,361
Images: 241
Blog Entries: 4
BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: 10 Points Under - Heroscape Casting Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntingWolvesOBMain View Post
Huh this is cool, thanks for putting this up BiggaBullFrog!
Although, you couldn't have chosen a game I won coulda ya? Now I've lost every reposted game I'm in! ;P

This was actually my first time playing kurrok, fire elementals or Moltenclaw (the only unit I'd played was Eldgrim lol). So at the time I was lamenting Moltenclaws claws falling off when he attacked Ullganesh but in hindsight I'd do a lot differently.

Firstly, lead with the fire elementals. I didn't need to sprint to Lodin because the elves couldnt really hold glyphs anyway and I didn't get any huge value out of it immediately, I could have just got it a bit more slowly as I developed the fire elementals. But developing and spreading them prevents the crippling start zone bomb from Jorhdawn and they'd probably just do more damage than MC (though I didn't realise this until halfway through the game when I finally brought them out).

That leaves Moltenclaw as a cleanup unit, which I don't think is necessarily his strength. At the end of the game he doesn't get much value from his burning breath special attack because there's less things on the board so probably very few times when they are lined up for bim. So he is basically a 6 life 5/1/5/3 for 170 points, in which case there are better options, probably KA and more fire eles would have been better for instance. But as a side note I did love how thematic he was with fire eles given he is lava resistant.

Twas a fun game and awesome event though, keen to play in more when the time zones line up nicely.

-IntingWolves

(I don't blame you for messing the name, its a mouthful and a half, if changing it was an option I would cut it in half lol, so I shall subtly try and do that by signing off as a shortened version)
Oh wow, I hadn't realized this was your first time piloting the army. I think you did really well for your first time, and completely agree with your thoughts based on how the game went. It's a tricky army to fully get the hang of but you had already made it a tight game. I agree about the Moltenclaw decision -- probably better to go with a different hero normally, but also being so thematic is awesome! He struggles a bit more in Heroes Only but in another format I think he pulls more bang for his buck!
Reply With Quote
  #269  
Old October 23rd, 2020, 10:14 PM
Jazack Jazack is offline
 
Join Date: April 21, 2018
Location: UT
Posts: 43
Jazack Woo who?
Re: 10 Points Under - Heroscape Casting Videos

Thank you for commenting on the game and putting it up. It was quite interesting to see your thoughts on it, and IntingWolves did really well with that army.

As for not putting Acolarh on a shadow instead of on the high ground (since you commented that it was interesting that I did that), my reasoning was that it would take heat off of Ulginesh by forcing IntingWolves to decide between burning one or the other (and putting Jorhdawn in the line helped with that, she still had 6 lives, and so could take the beating). If I put him on the high ground, I would be putting more heat on Ulginesh, which could potentially destroy the entire army (with elves, once Ulginesh falls, all the wizards begin to fall).
TL : DR putting Acolarh on the shadow created bait to keep Motenclaw from attacking Ulginesh
Reply With Quote
  #270  
Old October 24th, 2020, 11:19 AM
BiggaBullfrog's Avatar
BiggaBullfrog BiggaBullfrog is offline
Usurper of Shenanigans (only under 10 points though)
 
Join Date: December 31, 2009
Location: USA - UT - Vernal
Posts: 2,361
Images: 241
Blog Entries: 4
BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: 10 Points Under - Heroscape Casting Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazack View Post
Thank you for commenting on the game and putting it up. It was quite interesting to see your thoughts on it, and IntingWolves did really well with that army.

As for not putting Acolarh on a shadow instead of on the high ground (since you commented that it was interesting that I did that), my reasoning was that it would take heat off of Ulginesh by forcing IntingWolves to decide between burning one or the other (and putting Jorhdawn in the line helped with that, she still had 6 lives, and so could take the beating). If I put him on the high ground, I would be putting more heat on Ulginesh, which could potentially destroy the entire army (with elves, once Ulginesh falls, all the wizards begin to fall).
TL : DR putting Acolarh on the shadow created bait to keep Motenclaw from attacking Ulginesh
That makes a lot of sense, thanks for the insight! I really like it when players swing by and give their thought processes on a game. Looking back I like that baiting play (I like baits in general, so... ).
Reply With Quote
  #271  
Old October 24th, 2020, 11:20 AM
BiggaBullfrog's Avatar
BiggaBullfrog BiggaBullfrog is offline
Usurper of Shenanigans (only under 10 points though)
 
Join Date: December 31, 2009
Location: USA - UT - Vernal
Posts: 2,361
Images: 241
Blog Entries: 4
BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla BiggaBullfrog is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: 10 Points Under - Heroscape Casting Videos

In round 4 of day 1 of the Online Con Chamionship, @coachmuskie and @Cleon meet in a reversed whip round to face off! They get to play the army that their opponent brought in this sweet Reverse-the-Whip game featuring a mini-steamroller against skele-dogs and a big troll. Joining me in the virtual commentator booth for the first time is @Rama , a newer player to the online scene but a long time Heroscaper! We have a great time discussing gameplay and decisions in this exciting tournament game!


Also, I'm going to plug the 10 Points Under Co-Cast Super Scheduling Spreadsheet again. I'm close to finishing up Online Con, but still have some videos to cast, and then have some videos from OHS 37 and the NHSD event as well. So there's still a good amount of backlog I'm working with which means that if you're interested in casting a game with me I've got a wide selection to work with!

Last edited by BiggaBullfrog; October 24th, 2020 at 11:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #272  
Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM
dok's Avatar
dok dok is offline
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017
 
Join Date: October 9, 2008
Location: USA - CO - Denver
Posts: 22,835
Images: 110
Blog Entries: 17
dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: 10 Points Under - Heroscape Casting Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntingWolvesOBMain View Post
This was actually my first time playing kurrok, fire elementals or Moltenclaw (the only unit I'd played was Eldgrim lol). So at the time I was lamenting Moltenclaws claws falling off when he attacked Ullganesh but in hindsight I'd do a lot differently.

Firstly, lead with the fire elementals. I didn't need to sprint to Lodin because the elves couldnt really hold glyphs anyway and I didn't get any huge value out of it immediately, I could have just got it a bit more slowly as I developed the fire elementals. But developing and spreading them prevents the crippling start zone bomb from Jorhdawn and they'd probably just do more damage than MC (though I didn't realise this until halfway through the game when I finally brought them out).

That leaves Moltenclaw as a cleanup unit, which I don't think is necessarily his strength. At the end of the game he doesn't get much value from his burning breath special attack because there's less things on the board so probably very few times when they are lined up for bim. So he is basically a 6 life 5/1/5/3 for 170 points, in which case there are better options, probably KA and more fire eles would have been better for instance. But as a side note I did love how thematic he was with fire eles given he is lava resistant.
Jumping back here a bit, but I actually agreed with your decision to lead with Moltenclaw. The changes I would have made would be:

- Position my FEs and Kurrok in the startzone such that Jorhdawn wouldn't be able to target more than two at a time, and probably put the first OM of the game on Kurrok (as opposed to Eldgrim) in order to spread the FEs out even more. Those Jorhdawn hits that targeted three elementals at a time were quite painful, and if you spread them out instead then the shots probably go at Moltenclaw instead.

- Continue to prioritize hitting as many wizards as possible with Burning Breath as opposed to going for Ulginesh. While an Ulginesh assassination would pretty much end the game, the odds of pulling it off are not great. I'd err towards just playing the numbers game and trying to get as many wounds as is possible. If Moltenclaw puts a large enough dent on the wizards, then the elementals should be able to mop them up.
Reply With Quote
  #273  
Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM
IntingWolvesOBMain IntingWolvesOBMain is offline
 
Join Date: May 22, 2020
Location: Australia - Victoria - Melbourne
Posts: 2
IntingWolvesOBMain Woo who?
Re: 10 Points Under - Heroscape Casting Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Jumping back here a bit, but I actually agreed with your decision to lead with Moltenclaw. The changes I would have made would be:

- Position my FEs and Kurrok in the startzone such that Jorhdawn wouldn't be able to target more than two at a time, and probably put the first OM of the game on Kurrok (as opposed to Eldgrim) in order to spread the FEs out even more. Those Jorhdawn hits that targeted three elementals at a time were quite painful, and if you spread them out instead then the shots probably go at Moltenclaw instead.

- Continue to prioritize hitting as many wizards as possible with Burning Breath as opposed to going for Ulginesh. While an Ulginesh assassination would pretty much end the game, the odds of pulling it off are not great. I'd err towards just playing the numbers game and trying to get as many wounds as is possible. If Moltenclaw puts a large enough dent on the wizards, then the elementals should be able to mop them up.
Yeah I definitely think allowing the aoe on the fire eles was the biggest mistake, The fact that only two were left after moltenclaw fell says it all. Need too spread them out somehow so that there are enough to do damage, either in the start zone (if I lead with MC) or on the map (as in lead with the FEs) would have been an improvement.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heroscape videos in 3-D Now available Annerios HeroScape News 112 July 3rd, 2018 12:52 PM
Heroscape Tile RESIN CASTING Tutorial [COMPLETE!] Izner Custom Terrain & Obstacles 43 March 19th, 2013 09:43 PM
my youtube heroscape videos gama22 HeroScape General Discussion 0 January 16th, 2012 02:31 PM
Heroscape Review Videos General Collectibles Heroscape Strategy Articles 7 September 8th, 2011 12:03 AM
Casting the HeroScape movie Wytefang Official Units 3 June 26th, 2007 05:20 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:03 AM.

Heroscape background footer

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.