Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old July 22nd, 2016, 02:43 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun
GenCon 2016 Tournaments Army Ideas

A little late I know, but I feel like we should have a thread for it. The 600pt. army thread is also pretty dated and doesn't take into account the specifics of GC '16 rules, like Reverse the Whip.

I was also originally just going to make a thread or two articulating ideas for a specific tournament(s) I was more interested in but decided we might as well keep it all in one thread. So I'd love to hear and get some discussion going for army ideas regarding any/all the events. This year's point values for several events provide a lot of room for unseen or uncommon units and combinations to hit the table.

Quick reminder of the brief rules for each event:
-Flex Tourney: 18 figs, 450pt., Marvel allowed?
-4x400: 18 figs, 400pt., four armies no repeated figs
-Monster Mash: 18 figs, 600pt., at least 450pt. large/huge
-Uniques Only: 18 figs, 400pt., all Unique, no Uncommon/Common
-Heat of the Battle: 24 hexes, 500pt., HotB placement rules
-4x500: 18 figs, 500pt., four armies no repeated figs
-Main Event: 18 figs, 600pt., Day 2 Top 16 is Reverse the Whip
-4x300: 18 figs, 300pt., four armies no repeated figs
-Kids Tournament: 16 figs, 500pt., Marvel allowed, 12 and under
-General Wars: 24 hexes, 660pt., all the same general
-Team Up: 24 hexes, 800pt., players have to each control within 4 hexes and 100pt. of teammate's

There's also dok's and MegaSilver's events going on during Open Play time-slots:
-dok's 2016 Thursday Night Classic: 7-21 figs (18 max for placement), 500-600pt., Reverse Draft rules
-MegaSilver's C3V/SoV Take Two Chaos of Battle: 16 figs, 440pt., two armies no repeated figs, Take Two rules, Chaos of Battle rules

I wasn't sure whether to include the Magic: Arena of the Planewalkers event here or if that should be discussed elsewhere.

Brainstorm!
Old July 22nd, 2016, 03:09 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: GenCon 2016 Tournaments Army Ideas

I find General Wars intriguing (and also kind of intimidating) at 660pt.

Sentinels x4 440pt.
4th Mass x3 210pt.
Total - 650pt., 24 spaces

Charos 210pt.
Greenscales x2 120pt.
Venocs x5 200pt.
Venoc Warlord 120pt.
Total - 650pt., 24 spaces

Zelrig 185pt.
Parmenio 90pt.
Marcus 100pt.
Sacred Band x5 250pt.
Guilty 30pt.
Total - 655pt., 25 spaces
Old July 22nd, 2016, 03:53 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

I like your 3rd army...but I think a stronger variation of that army would be...

Zelrig 185
Marcus 100
James Murphy 75
Sacred Band X3 150
10th Reg X2 150
Total - 660

This way, you still have plenty of Sacred but you bring in solid ranged support with the 10th Reg and you get rid of Parmenio, who is really only good for changing a hero. And with the build above there is no need to change anyone...and Marcus is a stronger bonding option anyway b/c you actually would use the Sacred as a screen and have Marcus pod with the Reg b/c he'd be giving them an attack bonus. That, and he makes them super versitile by speeding them up to 6 move.

I also believe this would be a stronger build b/c Zelrig is a bit of a glass cannon, and you can risk him to go out early game to attack the start zone, but if it fails and he goes down, you still have a super solid army. The sacred band screening while the Marcus-buffed Reg could seriously do work. I only speak from experience b/c this is an army I've run before and it's been very successful (minus James Murphy)

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22

Last edited by Sir Heroscape; July 22nd, 2016 at 04:20 AM.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 11:22 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

240 Glad x3
120 Blast x2
180 Q9
110 Laglor
10 Otonashi
640, 24 hex

350 4th Mass x5
185 Nilfheim
110 Drake 1
645, 23 hex

350 Knights x5
185 Nilfheim
105 Gilbert
640, 23 hex

420 Stingers x7
240 Hydra x2
660, 25 hex, sit a stinger

420 Phantom Knights x6
240 Hydra x2
660, 22 hex
Old July 22nd, 2016, 02:24 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
I like your 3rd army...but I think a stronger variation of that army would be...

Zelrig 185
Marcus 100
James Murphy 75
Sacred Band X3 150
10th Reg X2 150
Total - 660

This way, you still have plenty of Sacred but you bring in solid ranged support with the 10th Reg and you get rid of Parmenio, who is really only good for changing a hero. And with the build above there is no need to change anyone...and Marcus is a stronger bonding option anyway b/c you actually would use the Sacred as a screen and have Marcus pod with the Reg b/c he'd be giving them an attack bonus. That, and he makes them super versitile by speeding them up to 6 move.

I also believe this would be a stronger build b/c Zelrig is a bit of a glass cannon, and you can risk him to go out early game to attack the start zone, but if it fails and he goes down, you still have a super solid army. The sacred band screening while the Marcus-buffed Reg could seriously do work. I only speak from experience b/c this is an army I've run before and it's been very successful (minus James Murphy)
Needs more Regiment!!!

Zelrig
10th Reg x5
Gurei-Oni (or Crixus if you prefer or maybe just Regiment x6 and sit a couple b/c MORE REGIMENT)
Old July 22nd, 2016, 02:57 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Obvious attack booster is obvious

375 10th x5
100 MDG
185 Zelrig
660, 23 hex

More cheese that I didn't mention last time:

280 Heavy Gruts x4
120 Grimnak
50 Nerak
150 Cyprien
45 Sonya
10 Isamu
655, 23 hex

If you're looking to pick up the off-brand general win instead of the overall...

350 Axegrinders x5
120 Mogrimm
60 Darrak
110 Migol
640, 23 hex

210 Aubrien Archers x3
210 Charos
240 Greenscale Warriors x4
660, 23 hex

Last edited by dok; July 22nd, 2016 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Tornak/Ornak instead of Cyprien/Sonya is also solid
Old July 23rd, 2016, 01:46 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post

Zelrig 185
Marcus 100
James Murphy 75
Sacred Band X3 150
10th Reg X2 150
Total - 660
Murphy is for Vydar!

The 10th reg are a solid option, no doubt, they're really good, but I like more sacred band here for potential versus with Q9, Q10, Nilf, etc. Zelrig is already fearing those strong heroes and the 10th don't want to go up against them. 2 defense make them drop like flies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
350 4th Mass x5
185 Nilfheim
110 Drake 1
645, 23 hex
I've always really liked Suicide-Nilf, you don't really ever see it among the Mass builds.

I like this build a lot:

Ornak 100pt.
Blades x3 120pt.
Nerak 50pt.
Cyprien 150pt.
Hydra x2 240pt.
Old July 28th, 2016, 10:38 PM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

all good builds, going to be another great year -

mimrig
krug
heavy grunts x4
Ornak

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old July 31st, 2016, 10:21 AM

FilmCriticFrog knows what's in an order marker FilmCriticFrog knows what's in an order marker

I'm heading there for my first time, and while I dont expect to do well, it'll certainly be fun! My team for the main event and the thursday night classic is:

X1 Braxas (Or Nilfheim- what do you guys think?)
X1 Jotun
X2 Marro Stingers
Old July 31st, 2016, 11:34 AM
Titleless

Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmCriticFrog View Post
I'm heading there for my first time, and while I dont expect to do well, it'll certainly be fun! My team for the main event and the thursday night classic is:

X1 Jotun
X2 Marro Stingers
Jotun isn't the most tournament-ready hero, but he could make it in a stingers/Raelin build if you play your cards right.

A pretty classic build around stingers and Niflheim looks like this:

Stingers x4
Rats x2
Raelin
Niflheim

You'd have a decent chance of getting to day 2 with it, but it might be too strong in a RTW format.
Old July 31st, 2016, 02:33 PM

FilmCriticFrog knows what's in an order marker FilmCriticFrog knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Charos View Post
Quote:

X1 Jotun
X2 Marro Stingers
Jotun isn't the most tournament-ready hero, but he could make it in a stingers/Raelin build if you play your cards right.

Stingers x4
Rats x2
Raelin
Niflheim

You'd have a decent chance of getting to day 2 with it, but it might be too strong in a RTW format.
I was thinking of that, but I looked over my collection and thought of something else. Could I turn it into Raelin, Nilfheim, Braxas and two squads of stingers? I want to make a good impression!
Old July 31st, 2016, 02:36 PM
Titleless

Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Charos View Post
Quote:

X1 Jotun
X2 Marro Stingers

Stingers x4
Rats x2
Raelin
Niflheim

I was thinking of that, but I looked over my collection and thought of something else. Could I turn it into Raelin, Nilfheim, Braxas and two squads of stingers? I want to make a good impression!
Looks good to me! I would definitely go with that build over the original.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion