Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

Notices

Old November 7th, 2011, 02:44 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Summoner Wars by Plaid Hat Games

I don't think you are the only person that likes deckbuilding. I am guessing most of the people that are coming to the tourney I am holding this weekend will be playing decks that are not just standard out of the box. Almos all of my decks have some tweaking.
Old November 8th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
I might be the only person alive that likes the deck building for summoner wars. I think you just have to realize that the reason you do it is a bit different than for other games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormi_Boced View Post
I don't think you are the only person that likes deckbuilding. I am guessing most of the people that are coming to the tourney I am holding this weekend will be playing decks that are not just standard out of the box. Almost all of my decks have some tweaking.
There's a difference between saying that the deck-building isn't as important as it is in other games, and saying that I don't enjoy it.

I see a lot of people that come from Heroscape or CCG's who want to know what the best deck is in Summoner Wars. Having the right deck/army list and knowing how to play it is a big part of lots of other games. There really isn't one. I think there's a few decks I've seen floating around that sound like they could potentially be really good, but we'll need more tournaments to know for sure.

In the meantime, I'll be playing every faction, often straight out of the box to show that it can be done, even though I've got two of everything. The bottom line is that most people still haven't played the game enough to know how they'd really want to build their decks. There's a learning curve to each deck and many match-ups, and people who came late have a lot of learning to do.

Our goal is to make all of the decks compatible and strong out of the box, and to provide players with options to fit their playing style if they so choose. Note that cards that might be generically good and passive, such as Magos for the Mercenaries, are generally behind the raw strength/cost curve of other Units.

I say it a lot, but the number one balancing factor in the game, and for every card, is the Build Magic phase. Unlike Heroscape where a situationally good Unit or Event is not good for tournament play, it's okay to have cards like this in Summoner Wars because any card can be substituted for Magic, the in-game currency. It is that hand management step at the end of the turn that is the stroke of creativity that binds the whole package together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; November 8th, 2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old November 8th, 2011, 03:46 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Jormi probably said it best - there's more tweaking that goes on as opposed to actual deck-building. Though I would say that free build offers much more in the ways of deck building. I still want to try my Chant of Haste Thief deck.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old November 8th, 2011, 05:46 PM

mrkurtb knows what's in an order marker mrkurtb knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
For instance, with Guild Dwarves I always nix the Engineers in favor of something else - they're just a bad unit usually. Same with the Deep Dwarves Miners. I don't think either unit works as well with the "feel" of the decks as their other faction counterparts.
Now I'm not normally one to give a master strategist suggestions but in this instance I have to go to bat for my miners as they've given me some really great games.

From what I've read, I get the impression that most people play the Deep Dwarves somewhat defensively, I'm not sure if that applies to you, KC. If so, let me suggest the next time your Deep Dwarves face a summoner with 5 (maybe even 6) or less lives, try an Aggressive miner strategy to really heat up the action. It gets even spicier with a dash of Kynder.

Drizzt Do'Urden and Guenhwyvar keep on giving.
I recommend everyone try Darth Vader's Massivescape suggestions.
Old November 8th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkurtb View Post
Quote:
For instance, with Guild Dwarves I always nix the Engineers in favor of something else - they're just a bad unit usually. Same with the Deep Dwarves Miners. I don't think either unit works as well with the "feel" of the decks as their other faction counterparts.
Now I'm not normally one to give a master strategist suggestions but in this instance I have to go to bat for my miners as they've given me some really great games.

From what I've read, I get the impression that most people play the Deep Dwarves somewhat defensively, I'm not sure if that applies to you, KC. If so, let me suggest the next time your Deep Dwarves face a summoner with 5 (maybe even 6) or less lives, try an Aggressive miner strategy to really heat up the action. It gets even spicier with a dash of Kynder.
This is what I like.

I remember I tried at some point to say that Phoenix Elf Guardians are demonstrably bad, and then all of these people piped up in their defense.

Quote:
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old November 8th, 2011, 07:57 PM

Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
...................................... Our goal is to make all of the decks compatible and strong out of the box, ........................
Yea the decks are plenty strong....I just play them weak out of the box .

Tree Town Open

Austi-Con / Austin MN
Saturday - October , 2023

Last edited by Codeman; November 8th, 2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old November 8th, 2011, 08:45 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkurtb View Post
Quote:

I'm actually a far more aggressive player with the DD than most that I've seen. If I win, it usually involves some combination of Lun or Kynder, Illusionary Warrior, and a Gem Mage or two. Wake the Father Gem makes it a lot better obviously.

However, I just can't see the point of Miners. Placing them adjacent to each other doesn't allow you to gang up on a champion or multiple commons unless they're lined up, too, or you use Lun or Kynder to move them again for more magic, and if I'm gonna spend magic on get a unit in position, I'd much rather it be a Gem Mage or Scholar.

Granted though I haven't really done much with the Miners, so I'm sure there are some strategies out there that are viable. Seems like they could be good at walling off an area that you don't want someone to get through. Still though, I really like the 10/5/3 build right now, with just the starting 3 Miners and 10 Gem Mages.

Of course, I also usually sub out Sprog for either Sairook or Khexhu. I like using Meditate to abuse their powers in the endgame, and I can never get Sprog's ability to work well for me, either.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old November 8th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Quote:
I can never get Sprog's ability to work well for me, either.
Sprog's ability is one of my favorites!

It's so funny when you stick a Cave Goblin wall back in their own corner!

Quote:
Old November 19th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Hey dudes, I'm running a tourney here in Illinois.

Info here.

Quote:
Old December 5th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Beautiful Colby

truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Demagogue

BGG Link: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1...h-faction-deck
Old December 5th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Neato!
Old December 5th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Very excited for these guys! Looking great!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games