Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games
Video Games Computer and console games.

Old February 23rd, 2009, 04:22 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Street Fighter IV

Well, it's the only game I'm currently playing so I have to talk a about it. Here's the review I posted on Amazon. It sums up pretty well what I think.

First let me say that SFIV is a well crafted game with a lot of nice touches and improvements. While not perfect, I'm sure the downloadable content will increase its value.

OK, my stream-of-consciousness and reaction review:

The first thing that caught my eye was that you can start the Arcade mode and be challenged in the middle of the game like at a real arcade via Xbox live. The matchmaking is superb as I was never paired with anyone that much lower than my skill nor higher. Every opponent felt just right. I did win more than I lost but I think that's because I'm pretty good with this new Sagat. I felt quite unstoppable with him, his tiger knee is wonderful now, starts low, arcs and hits again on the way down. You can even combo into a super in the middle of a Tiger Knee!

The graphics are very neat, a little stiffer looking than I expected them to look, though that is probably due to the fact that they seem to be aiming more for an anime look than real life, but they are gorgeous just the same. I love the little details like characters still breathing hard after being knocked unconscious and that characters aren't mirrored when switching sides. Another cool thing in SFIV is the fact that, since the graphics are polygons, and not drawn, you can download cool alternate costumes that were impossible in any of the old games.

In some ways SFIV feels a bit "dumbed" down in the gameplay though. While it includes many new and complex moves (EX, Ultra, Focus), it definitely felt easier to pull off many of the moves and combos. I also have been playing Street Fighter HD Remix and the difference in difficulty and technical skill required is huge. In SFIV the characters are huge and it feels easier to combo. I even pulled some super combos off of fierce attacks you couldn't do before, thus making combos easier on the whole. Also, regular attacks are a lot better and more viable. Even kicks that usually hit very high can be used well to hit standing opponents. All in all the fights feel less contrived than in previous versions, though still retain the SF feel.

The roster felt more balanced too, and I didn't feel any one character was that much better or easier to play, though I did lose badly when I tried the new unfamiliar ones. I can't say I tried EVERYONE though. Unfortunately you so end up playing mostly against Guile/Ryu/Chun-Li on Live just like in any other version. I fear perhaps Viper may be that one character that programmers made a bit strong just for being the new main character. But oldies like Honda and Blanka pack a serious punch too. Their moves are adjusted to work better and their specials are more useful than ever. Honda felt quite solid with many nice combo possibilities. In general, under certain circumstances, you can combo off of fierce attacks that normally don't which is fun, without turning into button mashing.

You can also see and obtain a lot of cool movies, great intros for every fight and beginning and ending movies. All of these intros, while a bit cheesy, do add to the game experience and I found them a welcome addition as well as all the pre and post fight banter between the characters.

I'm yet to figure out how to master the new moves like EX attacks and Ultras but they seem like a great additions and not so "expert" level as the old SFIII Parry. EX attacks are done by pressing two buttons instead of one during a special and they produce stronger versions of these. Ultras are obtained after taking damage and performed by pressing three punches or kicks with the Super Combo motion. It was a joy to see that Ultras can even be paired with Super Combos and Super Combos with Specials, a very different world indeed. Focus attacks are another addition. By pressing two of the same type of attack buttons (kicks/punches) the character does a type of soft parry that can be used to attack or as a combo starter depending on how long you press the buttons. They can also be used to interrupt special moves and thus protecting yourself from a counter attack.

Perhaps my only reservations are that I'm not sure whether this is really that much different in essence than playing HD Remix. It's almost like playing the same game with slightly different difficulty and technique settings, and lower graphics of course (though HD Remix looks gorgeous too) but still good ol' SF, and that can either be a good or a bad thing depending on how you look at it. The other is that I ache for the old feeling of mystique in the old SF games. I miss characters having their own private stages where you go and fight them instead of fighting them anywhere, and the well defined theme songs for each character. The songs back then were more varied, using a variety of musical genres and in general were more memorable than the techno drivel we get nowadays in fighting games. Not to say there isn't a great variety of gorgeous stages, but I still miss the simplicity of the old ones. But perhaps I'm being too harsh here. There are many updated versions of old stages that are great eye candy.

I highly recommend it, but be warned, this is not Tekken, Soul Calibur , DOA or Virtua Fighter, even if it looks a bit like them, where you mash buttons mindlessly to link attacks. This is still Street Fighter, with the same type of gameplay. You still have to learn combos and how to counter them, timing, and a slew of special and super moves. So while I think it's great and good for new players, if you hated the original SF games, then there's little here for you.

Well, that's that. Anyway, I'm glad to hear there will be more DLC uptdates and more alternate costumes (love those!) as well as a tourney mode coming up. I recently had the chance to try out some of the hidden characters and I was pleased. Fei Long (my second favorite, guess my first) seems a bit powered down on the rekka kens but still a good contender. Cammy, although rather low on the guide, seemed just as good as always to me. Sakura was kind of the same old same old, but cool to see, although seeing her still in the school outfit is kind of weird considering shed almost be 30 in the game. Rose was very cool and her powers very entertaining to watch. Seeing Gouken played was a dream come true.

Anyone else playing this?

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...

Last edited by Sweetcurse; February 24th, 2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 05:15 PM

Atombob Woo who?
Re: Big Daddy - The Street Fighter IV Thread

Hey Sweetcurse, I have been playing (and loving) SF4 since it came out. I am more of a Classic SF2 player and have not really embraced all the Ultra's, EX attacks, Parry's etc..... and normally just play a straight up Kick and Block style of play that made me love the game originally. I can still hold my own though and can normally still make for a pretty good match.

My first character was Dhalsim and I can remember Button Mashing with him on the Arcade Machine. It was fun to make the transition from Button Masher to actually knowing what the button do.

My first character that I felt the most comfortable with was Chun Li. She just clicked with my playstyle of Jumping and Attacking (there is more to it than that but I just want to keep it simple ). It has always just felt very natural for me to use her and I have had fun learning all her new attacks and how I can try to fit them in my Playstyle.

I played Chun Li when I first got SF4 and have not done too well with her. I seem to have a very bad matchup with all the Ken/Ryu's out there. I am a magnet for their Shuryuken (I think that is the Uppercut Attack name) and all my jumping seems to just get me hit more and more . I switched to Blanka and have been doing much better. I still play Chun Li on occasion but Blanka is my character of choice right now.

Sorry I seemed to drone on and on there. I just get to typing about Street Fighter and I can't seem to stop.
Old February 24th, 2009, 10:48 AM

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Well, I had the chance to listen to the soundtrack for SF HD Remix yesterday. I have to say some of those remixes are kind of good, and I’m a huge fan of the original songs. I especially liked the new Fei Liong theme song by Zircon.

Anyway, on SFIV, I downloaded the brawler pack yesterday and took a look at all the alt. costumes. They are definitely hit and miss over all. Lemme see if I can remember them all:

Ryu: torn shirt, ok overall, gives the impression that he has gone through hell. Makes him look MORE like a hobo though.

Ken: Weird, weird outfit. Dark, leather looking gi with long sleeves. He’s wearing tennis shoes a gold chain and fur trimmed neck. Pimp karate guy. Just strange.

Chun Li: Nice little Chinese looking dress, sort of a cocktail dress. A bit skimpier than n eeded but a nice outfit as it looks more like casual wear.

Guile: In Charlie’s outfit from Alpha, very, very cool, if a little creepy that he’s dressed in his dead friend’s clothes with whom he’s obsessed BTW.

Blanka: Kind of cool in a safari outfit. A bit goofy but makes sense.

Dhalsim: Basically the same with a torn rag thrown over the shorts and chest. I think he shows up like that in the anime SFV.

Zangief: Tied first of my favorites in Mike Haggar’s (Final Fight) outfit. Very, very cool reference.

Honda: Meh, a bit weird. Dressed in a traditional sumo ceremonial with a huge pretzel of a rope bow on his back. I would have preferred a simple sumo thong.

Balrog (M. Bison): My other favorite. He’s dressed kind of like Apollo Creed from Rocky in a Stripes and Stars hoodie. VERY cool. Much better than his regular.

Vega (Balrog): In a masquerade outfit. Kind of cool, if a little out of place. Small mask, and loose fitting Spanish shirt.

Sagat: What where they thinking? Just ugly. The patch over his eye is ok, a cloth wrapped around his head instead of an eye patch. But his pants are tight fitting spandex with little hoops around the sole of his feet. Very ugly.

Bison (Balrog): Interesting. His clothes are torn and his hair is long. Like he’s been living in the streets perhaps (following Ryu in the hobo life perhaps) ?

Viper: A skimpier version of her regular outfit. Not very different really other than the fact that it is red (Crimson Viper) .

Abel: Ugly. Greco-Roman wrestling outfit. Brrr, shudders.

El Fuerte: In a fool chef outfit. It’s ok, a bit too goofy perhaps.

Rufus: The ugliest of the ugliest. I already do not get this character, and this outfit makes matters worse. Basically just a tub shaped body suit in lime (lame?) green. Awful.

Fei Long: My first impression was “ugly and SM looking.” It’s a Bruce Lee outfit from “Enter the Dragon.” He’s wearing small spandex shorts that make him look like a doll and tall boots and metal gloves with little strings on them and scars on his chest and face. I don’t want to say it, but he looks, well, you know.

Cammy: A variation of the “killer bee” outfit from alpha. Basically a heavy military coat, small hat, tall boots and no pants with the leg tattoos. I suppose the pervs will be raving as you can see her butt and thong, but I found it a bit weird. I mean, big coat and boots, but looks like she forgot her pants that day.

Rose: Meh, in a gypsy outfit. I’ve never liked her character design as it is so this is not too interesting either. A more minimalist design would have worked better for me but I suppose she IS a gypsy so it works. I may like it better than her regular but that ain’t saying much.

Sakura: I like. I’m not a fan of the school girl outfit so this works for me. She make more sense in this half gi with practice shorts. Looks more real.

Akuma (Gouki): No shirt, same pants with Honda’s huge pretzel bow…weird.

Gouken: Same as above.

Seth: With pants! Look good. Basically the same with lose fitting pants. Very good.

You can see pics of them all over the net. Just search : “Character name” Alternate Costume. Gamespot has a gallery of most of them too.

Generally, Capcom tends to favor the goofy and silly for some reason. I much prefer the sober looks, without crossing into the metrosexual looks in King of Fighters too much. I would love to see more "street clothes" outfits or more serious attempts. All the giant pretzels, spandex and chef hats are just too goofy and detract from the game. I do love alt. costumes, I think they enhance gameplay and make you feel like you have more characters. But those ugly ones are a turn off. Give me Ryu in jeans and T or Ken in Versace any day. I'd love Chun Li in a business outfit for her detective work and Cammy in military fatigues. Zangief in worker clothes, Balrog in baseball hat and sports jersey, Guile in slacks and polo, Dhalsim in regular indian clothes, Honda in yukata, Akuma and Gouken in Samue, Bison in a suit, Sagat in a sports jacket, Vega in a metrosexual outfit, blanka in shorts and hawaian shirt, Fei Long in a chinese dust jacket, Abel in MMA fighter clothes or a military outfit, Viper without the ridiculous hair, Rufus dressed like a redneck, EL Fuerte in a El Santo style business suit like his movies, Sakura in jeans and T or Jinbei, Rose not looking like a medieval reject. Anyway, you get the point. I know some people don't want extraordinary characters in everyday clothes, but as an alt. costume it would be nice. Especially if they are destructible clothes. This is why I liked Sakura's Gi alt. very believable. Anyway, that's all.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...

Last edited by Sweetcurse; February 24th, 2009 at 11:55 AM.
Old February 24th, 2009, 03:16 PM

Here's the release calendar for the DLC! I love wiki.

February 17: Brawler Pack will include alternate costumes for: Zangief, E.Honda, Rufus, El Fuerte, and Abel.
February 24: Femme Fatale Pack will include alternate costumes for: Chun-Li, Cammy, Sakura, Rose, and C.Viper.
March 3: Shoryuken Pack will include alternate costumes for: Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Gouken, and Dan.
March 10: Shadaloo Pack will include alternate costumes for: Seth, M. Bison, Sagat, Balrog, and Vega.
March 17: Classic Pack will include alternate costumes for: Guile, Dhalsim, Fei-Long, Blanka, and Gen

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old February 24th, 2009, 03:42 PM

HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker
Re: Street Fighter IV

Will those costume DLC cost extra money?
Old February 24th, 2009, 04:12 PM

I would assume so. The first pack is free though, the brawler pack.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old February 24th, 2009, 06:46 PM

HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker

That seems a little unreasonable to charge for costumes. I guess if people are willing to pay for it then so be it. I think new characters or stages would be more reasonable to charge for than costumes.

I am a little concerned that companies will start to release games where the developer leaves things out purposefully in order that gamers will buy DLC.
Old February 25th, 2009, 10:50 AM

Atombob Woo who?

I honestly don't mind purchasing DLC for games that I like. The costumes don't really change the game in any significant way. It's just a fun addition to make things a little different. SF has always been about changing your costume's color but never really changing the actual costume. I like that they are personalizing it a bit more.

I am not sure how much I will actually use the alternate costumes but I will be purchasing all of them. I feel like I am doing my part to keep the game alive and to show the developers that I support their efforts (even after the original purchase).
Old February 25th, 2009, 08:34 PM

They'll be about 330 points.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old February 26th, 2009, 02:42 PM

Ok, so I played SFIV a bit more. Ok, first, the DLC “Femme Fatales” cost 320 points, but it was worth it. Probably one of the best alt. costumes pack..except for Cammy’s. I actually liked Vipers alt. better than her regular. Chun LI’s was cool too, if a buit skimpy. The others I haven’t used yet as I haven’t unlocked the characters yet. It is funny to realize that most of the female characters in the game are hidden. Only Viper and Chun are selectable, while Cammy, Rose and Sakura are hidden.

I did beat the game with Abel. Now everything said about Seth is absolutely true, he is the cheapest boss ever! It was fun though. I was playing on easiest to unlock everything and I still lost like 5 times…and I don’t suck. Anyway beating it with him unlocked Fei Long. He’s quite changed form other games. They have made him very much like K.Dragon from World Heroes, many of his moves look like those now. Also, he’s buffer and taller too, Ryu sized now. His flying kick is very different now, no high arc, but a straight kick with a follow up, similar to Dan’s. His flaming kick is less effective too. The Rekka Ken’s are way toned down unfortunately. Like in Alpha, they do not chain easily like in Super Street. It is hard to connect the first and you are forced to motion for the next hits before you are sure the first connects, which sucks as you end up getting counterattacked often on the second hit of you failed. Even if you connect all three (unlikely), their damage is tiny compared to the past. I’ll play him more and see what I think but he seemed much weaker than other versions.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old February 27th, 2009, 12:34 PM

Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Played a few matches of it last night (Thanks, NC_Hero!), and I'm wondering if anyone else feels like I do. I'll start off by saying that I'm not an intensive player, but I have been playing Street Fighter since the SNES days. Never had enough quarters to play in arcades, so I grew up with controllers, not joysticks.

The gameplay all seems fine, and moves mostly seem to work like they should. I'm a bit disappointed with the change to the 3D models. Blanka's spinning ball attack seems to be slowed down, and I'm not sure if that's a change made out of gameplay balance, or because of the models.

I don't reject 3D out of hand, but I always saw 2D fighters as a bastion of old-school gaming artistry, where you were essentially playing an amazingly-drawn work of art. Gameplay is all well and good, but when you come down to it, there is a fundamental aesthetic difference between 3D and 2D animation, and I still prefer 2D.

I'm a sucker for ink. That's what it boils down to.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons, even death may die.

Heroes of StarWars 'Scape / North Carolina 'Scapers
Old February 27th, 2009, 12:44 PM

Well, that's what HD Remix is there for. Unfortunately for a game to make it nig nowadays and to attract the masses, it need flashy 3d graphics. Though it isn't new, remember SF Ex?

On Blanka's roll, well, a trade off is that the EX version (doing it with two buttons thus consuming a bit of super combo bar) goes through projectiles and that is sweet. Also, did you notice his electricity is infinitely more useful now? Not to count the fierce punch slide, arc flip, dashing jump and over all strong moves. The guy at the local tourney won with Blanka. He was undefeatable even for the Kens and my mighty Sagat.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games