Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old July 18th, 2009, 08:18 AM

hurrican is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
three player games

I was wondering if anybody has any thoughts on a three player game out there.
Old July 18th, 2009, 08:20 AM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: three player games

EDIT: Looks like I came off as a bit harsh there(I got an unsigned -rep for this post). Sorry about that.

Your curiosity will be the death of you....

Last edited by gorthan313; July 18th, 2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old July 18th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurrican View Post
I was wondering if anybody has any thoughts on a three player game out there.
There are several 3-player maps in the Maps & Scenarios section.

Are you wanting to play 2 on 1 or a 3 way free for all?
Old July 18th, 2009, 11:45 AM

MattWolf99 is surprisingly tart

Do a two on 1. I think three way free for alls aren't as fun, because politics usually become a huge part of it. Well, make a rule saying no one can talk about anything but what they're doing, and their cards.

If I'm not on Heroscapers.com, It's because I'm playing Heroscape. Well more likely in School

Last edited by MattWolf99; July 18th, 2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: my opinions aren't everyone's
Old July 18th, 2009, 02:07 PM

Agatagary is surprisingly tart

I find that the best way to handle a free for all is to rule that as soon as one player is out of units, the game ends (and the remaining player with the greatest number of points left wins). This ensures that players do not gang up on other players, because the player in 1st place will want to attack the player in 3rd (to end the game), while the player in 2nd will want to attack the player in 1st (to get ahead in the game). It also prevents the problem of the first one out becoming bored.

There are no "bad" units in Heroscape-only misused ones.

Please read The Heroscape Chronicles

Try out my custom figures! All use existing Heroscape sculpts
Old July 18th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatagary View Post
I find that the best way to handle a free for all is to rule that as soon as one player is out of units, the game ends (and the remaining player with the greatest number of points left wins). This ensures that players do not gang up on other players, because the player in 1st place will want to attack the player in 3rd (to end the game), while the player in 2nd will want to attack the player in 1st (to get ahead in the game). It also prevents the problem of the first one out becoming bored.
I like that! Whoever is in the lead gets ganged up on. And the politics happen automatically - you don't have to try as hard to convince your "allies" you aren't going to backstab them!
Old July 20th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatagary View Post
I find that the best way to handle a free for all is to rule that as soon as one player is out of units, the game ends
This is a great idea, I used to play a lot of three player games but then I abandoned them for a more traditional 1 on 1 tournament style.

In general, hurrican, its a personal thing. You have to realize that with 3+ players politics are going to come into it a lot. A player who holds back and lets the others hack it out will win, you have to watch for them and form (shaky) alliances to go after anyone like that. Some people like this, some hate it.

To try and overcome this problem I usually made my 3 player games "glyph grabbing" or gave some other advantage to the first movers. But that only partially offset the problem. It's hard, in the end you either have to embrace the politics or go back to two player games. There are a lot of maps and discussion around for and about this type of format, you should use the search engine to look for other threads.

But the short answer is that you may love or hate this style of gaming. You definitely should be aware that it is different.
Old July 20th, 2009, 06:42 AM
has been BANNED

Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker

With multiple players I find the best way to be the:

Kill the person's army sitting to your left

As soon as this happens it is game over and you have a winner. This method prevents players from passively letting others battle it out and also greatly reduces politics.
Old July 20th, 2009, 07:58 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

I've mentioned this elsewhere as a "local varient," but it was originally devised due to the fact that we used to have 3 players available. Bounty Hunter: You get the points for what you kill. Only the last squad figure or hero wound count. This creates a simple and practical way to replace table talk politics with action!
Old July 20th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Bill Nigh the Psions Guy

Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I had a post on the dynamics of a FFA a while back. (With the magic of the search function I found it HERE) Just about everything I'd want to say is there, so read up friends!

Also welcome to the site hurrican, I've not seen you around these parts before. While I don't have an issue with this post pre-sae, you really could have ran a quick search or two and found that there are many threads about this topic already! I highly suggest reading THIS and THIS, not so much because of posting problems, more so because you are a new member and it SHOULD be required reading for all noobs.

Looking for quality maps for 3+ players? Think your latest map-masterpiece deserves a place of honor? Join in the discussion of The War-zones of Valhalla

It doesn't get any more classic than this: The C3V project
Old July 20th, 2009, 11:39 AM

StarofEarendil knows what's in an order marker StarofEarendil knows what's in an order marker

I once tried playing two games at once against my dad and my sister.

Contend, O Lord, against those who contend against me;
Fight against those who fight against me. Psalm 35:1
Old July 20th, 2009, 12:56 PM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Since I almost always am playing with two other players, I keep a permanent link to this three-player maps thread in my subscriptions.

~Z

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion